Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 8/1/11.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
deanonev69
Glitterati

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 8/1/11.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm

There was some improvement yesterday, most of all a bit of fight from the lads that culminated in the equaliser. Patterson looks like he'd benefit from some game time, pick up some confidence, Marshall looked a different player for me compared to the turgid performances i have seen from him previously and Grigg gave another dimension when he came on. Bevan did well and pulled off good save which could have made it 4.

But on the other hand, Lescott is dire, Jones isn't the player we saw last year and as for Julian Gray........

Felt like a win when that equaliser went in and the players looked like they cared: we also sung Dean Smith's name-can't remember last time we sung managers name in a good way.

UTS

Mafino
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Concerning the 8 real points and 9 with the goal difference, by the time Walsall get those 8 points back (hypothetically speaking) the goal difference might be larger than Tranmere's anyway...

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Green shoots from a seasin of despair

Lets hope we perform on Tuesdaym I will take 1 point again abd 3 on saturday

If we average 2 points till end of season we dhould stay up

CH has gone lets hope we can bring in one or two decent players centre mid is one

Onwards and upwards

gray
Glitterati

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 pm

I really enjoyed the game yesterday. I thought the atmosphere was good throughout and the scenes at the end were amazing, it feels like such a long time that I've left a game with that feeling.

Before the game I said that we needed to win and I still feel like that now but the character we showed right at the end and the way the players celebrated with the fans makes me hopeful that it can be the start of something and we can go on a good run between now and the end of the season.

For me Grigg should start from now on. He seemed positive when he came on and made a difference. I'm also looking forward to Taundry playing instead of Marshall.

huddle

Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:48 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:
huddle wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Well, we were awful for 80 minutes today, then started playing when it seemed all over.

Correct-and against any other team,it would have been over. As I said before,these teams will be playing each other in Division 2 next season-they truly are that bad.

Can't argue with that Huddle. Don't think you will find many comments on here from those who were there who have said otherwise on this thread. Still the last 5 minutes was the highlight of the season for me so far :D

I said in my initial post on here that your lot sat back and thought they had won it. Your manager should be going beserk at throwing away 2 points like that

You're right-our manager should have been going berserk in the last ten minutes.Actually he was standing there with his hands in his pockets mostly looking at the ground-never uttered a word.The man hasn't a clue.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks to all those that went on Saturday for the excellent match reports - best this season IMO (I don't envy Exile picking one for the front page) :D

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:23 pm

gray
you say you cant wait for taundry to replace marshall im sorry i have to disagree i wouldnt replace any of the finishing players due to the fact that we for the first
time this season showed team spirit and i beleive marshall creates a lot dispite what a lot of fans think he has also been unlucky in the last 2 games in any other 2 games the kid could of scored 2 or 3 goals but for top goal keeping and his corner for richards first yesterday was perfect on the penalty spot which fell to richards
birmingham mail gave him motm against peterborough for what its worth.i think the problem with marshall is hes geared for total football but when we hoof it he disapears but dont most midfielders when we got it down and played yesterday he comes into the game and but for a world class save yesterday he would of scored a world class goal a perfect volley which came from about 20 ft in the air so i feel given a run he will get better as long as we play football and not long ball

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:41 pm

morethanuknow wrote:i think the problem with marshall is hes geared for total football but when we hoof it he disapears but dont most midfielders when we got it down and played yesterday he comes into the game and but for a world class save yesterday he would of scored a world class goal a perfect volley which came from about 20 ft in the air so i feel given a run he will get better as long as we play football and not long ball

This sort of comment has been made by many posters on many match threads this season - in essence, posters are saying when Walsall try to play football, they look half-decent, but when resorting to the hoof they look terrible. Hopefully in the second half of the season we'll get more foot and less hoof.

saddler79
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Dire game between 2 dire teams but to be honest I couldnt care less. In our position its never going to be pretty but we need to take points any way we can. I cant remember how long its been since I left a ground buzzing, not because of the performance but the 'never say die' attitude. I'm still grinning at work today and if we'd got the winner straight after the 3rd (for which we had a good chance with 4 men on the break) I think i'd have had to book the day off due to 'celebration injuries' :D

No need to comment any further on the match as previous posters have summarised it pretty much spot on. More of the same tomorrow night please saddlers. We are not down yet!

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season