Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League - 1st January 2011

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Exile wrote:The match thread appears to be as good as the game. Swifty hijacking half of it for his Bonser drivel, philthesaddler the other half for his RIchards vendetta. In between I've learned that today we were mostly rubbish.

How has Hutchings still got a job? :shock:

How did I Highjack it you nob? I made a comment on topic, and others responded

saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: Notts County (H) League - 1st January 2011

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:47 pm

philhutchingssaddler wrote:
some meaningless waffle desperately trying to justify my bizzare dislike for the obvious 2010/11 player of the season

got my £50?

I can quite believe you played at a high level, you would sit comfortably with your fellow mongaloid ex pro football pundits like Garth Crooks, Paul Merson, Steve Claridge, Jamie Redknapp, Andy Townsend, Nigel Winterburn etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Wow that was bad, very bad!

Where do we go from here? Even with a change of manager I can't see us being able to turn this shambles around. Ofcourse Bonsor and Hutchings are predominately to blame but the players must also take some responsibility for me.

My opinion of player performances:-

Brain - Useless, utter useless. Conference player within 12-18 months without question.

Westlake - I actually thought he was my MOTM. He was steady and took responsibility even though he was given very little protection by Jones.
Lancashire - All over the place and looked at sixes and sevens most of the game.
Butler - Huff and puff with very little else.
McGivern - What a complete waste of space. Got rinsed by an 18 year old Dad's Boy most of the game and gave away and wasted possession far too easily. Our worse outfield player today and there were a few!

Jones - OK I suppose. Didn't really do anything of any note.
Gray - Seemed interested at times but certainly wasn't my MOTM. He has bags of ability which he has proved in the past but he's just not interested enough.
Lescott - Not a footballer, not a full back and certainly not a midfielder. Thought he would be a bad signing and he has been.
Richards - Same as Jones.

Nicholls - Same as Brain. Looked lost and disinterested. I feel he is unaware that his career as a professional footballer is at a critical stage.
Grigg - Still too inexperienced to play that role for the side in my opinion. A good loan spell away from the club to improve would benefit him I feel.

Macken - Did nothing.
Ried - Did nothing.
Paterson - Looked lively enough I suppose.

All in all - pathetic!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:21 pm

starkravingmentalsaddlerken wrote:the obvious 2010/11 player of the season

You need help mate.

http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc. ... t=2&cn=144

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Yes its painful hown this club is going a team of no hopers and buck stops with the manager .. so get him out

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Outrageously poor performance. Brain is useless, McGivern can't defend and Lescott in midfield is well, atrocious. No passion, no drive, no guidance. Pathetic.

Best of the poor bunch? Butler or Richards.

HUTCHINGS OUT

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:47 pm

If the performance is baffling then he must have no answer to what's going wrong, time to go!

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,,10428~2255937,00.html

SWS1

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:30 pm

OMG
:evil:

notts123

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:44 pm

I'd be very worried if you played like that when we play you at meadow lane, especially when Hughes plays - he'll have a field day against your defence and goalkeeper. Notts really sat back most of the game today, rarely did either of our full backs get forward and that formation has only played together once before at Plymouth and like I say we were missing Hughes who improves our team ten folds when he's playing. But all the same I don't think you played all that bad you still showed glimpses of quality coming forward - although your defence and its distribution really did let you down at key times, you kept playing hoof ball against our 6ft+ centre backs it was never going to work. Looking forward to seeing you visit meadow lane - all the best for the rest of the season hope you guys can turn it around!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:05 am

I'll going to Nottingham when we play county but think I'll stay in Hooters

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:00 am

notts123 wrote:I'd be very worried if you played like that when we play you at meadow lane, especially when Hughes plays - he'll have a field day against your defence and goalkeeper. Notts really sat back most of the game today, rarely did either of our full backs get forward and that formation has only played together once before at Plymouth and like I say we were missing Hughes who improves our team ten folds when he's playing. But all the same I don't think you played all that bad you still showed glimpses of quality coming forward - although your defence and its distribution really did let you down at key times, you kept playing hoof ball against our 6ft+ centre backs it was never going to work. Looking forward to seeing you visit meadow lane - all the best for the rest of the season hope you guys can turn it around!

Yowm being to flattering there. What glimpses? :lol:

Didnt think you played brilliantly either, didnt need too. If you had it could have been 17-0.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:30 am

Complete and utter shash.

Can't really add anything different to what people have written over the past few pages, agree totally with most. Main thoughts I trudged away from the ground with were...

Awful effort at defending for all the goals.
Appallingly weak hands from Brain for the first goal, regardless of whether it was offside or not.
No one deserved man of the match.
Lescott at CM, then bring Patterson on in the middle alongside him?!?!?! Marshall has probably already packed his bags and walked out, lamping dogface on the way.
Nicholls can't finish a pint let alone a goal chance 10 yards out.
Angry songs and chants that couldn't be any clearer a message for hutchings!

Although I still refuse to boo the team / players during the game, not seeing that it actually helps what will happen on the pitch there and then, at half time and at the end I didn't hold back, more than I've ever done so before, to the point of straining neck muscles! Absolute guano and it is just getting worse.

Several teams sacked managers after results today and I found out that Brizzle sacked Trollope the other week which I wasn't aware of. Why can't JB and the board see what normal clubs do when things are not going right. Be brave you bunch of munch. :x

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:13 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
Guest wrote:I predict the game will be on, as I'm now in Dubai on my way back to HK, having managed to witness 0 games over Xmas. Score? 1-0 to the Sads.

Happy New Year! (It's 2.18 am here.)

Think yourself lucky...stayaway

I suppose I am lucky that I won't be within 6000 miles of Walsall FC for the rest of this season.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:25 am

Let's get things clear.Any team that gifts the opposition a 2 goal lead in the first 16 mins due to abject goalkeeping is onto a loser.Every little bit of good work that had been done at Charlton was undone in minutes by the clown in goal.
This guy Bevan who came from Villa must be worse than me if he can't get into the side ahead of this muppet Brain.

When's Jimmy coming back?

Mal
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:40 am

I'll add my two penneth!

Having missed my Saturday afternoon with my Dad was really looking forward to the game but from the moment we saw the team sheet defeat was conceeded.

I feel sorry for Lescott played in midfield where he was lost, after 20 minutes McGivern should have been off, Marshall on and Lescott at left back.

Brain is now in my books as bad as Petterson! absolutely shocking keeper who gives the defence NO confidence
Butler, good player who was sptting blood with frustrtaion at what was in front of him
Richards, a cheat who hides in front of the back four cannot stand the bloke worse than Mavrak! suddenly ran around when were were 3 down!

As for the rest Gray was definately the best of a bad bunch, no teamwork, no interest and certainly no movement

For the record I have for the first time conceded defeat and cannot see past relegation unless Hutchings is sacked, as I have said before I cannot believe that O'Connor's input is taken on board at all, maybe our manager is as stubborn as the owner!

Lets sum this up, 3-0 down game needs changing so what does he do, exactly what my Dad said he would do before kick off! took off Grigg/Nicholls for Macken/Reid. No change to tactics, no change to shape and certainly no impact on the game whatso ever

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SACK THIS 'BAFFLED' BUFFOON NOW!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:43 am

Ahh at least some things don't change...

Phil trying to say that other fans think Richards is the second coming of Beckenbauer.

You've been a worm on a hook far too long, mate. We know he's crap, always have, he's just better than the other lot and it makes us laugh when you go pop.

Still, FACTS don't lie, his goals are worth 7 points to us this season.

Your boy Marshall replaced with a full-back.

Even Alex Ferguson knows not to put The Mighty Neviller in the middle :lol:

Word on the game: Shite... All of them were utter shite. No credit, no niceties, just utter swill.

P.S. Got Ken's £50?

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:36 am

Utter bloody rubbish .

It's getting very near the point of no return , I very much doubt the sacking of Hutchings will save us now .

Thanks Bonser and Co :twisted:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Ahh at least some things don't change...

Phil trying to say that other fans think Richards is the second coming of Beckenbauer.

You've been a worm on a hook far too long, mate. We know he's crud, always have, he's just better than the other lot and it makes us laugh when you go pop.

Still, FACTS don't lie, his goals are worth 7 points to us this season.

Your boy Marshall replaced with a full-back.

Even Alex Ferguson knows not to put The Mighty Neviller in the middle :lol:

Word on the game: guano... All of them were utter guano. No credit, no niceties, just utter swill.

P.S. Got Ken's £50?

One of your comments on your post proves once and for all that you don't half talk some rubbish FBIG.

"The mighty Neviller?!!!"

He has had his day. He looked like a Conference player yesterday. So much like a fish out of water, it was embarrassing. I felt sorry for him.

Gary Neville. World Class. Hahahahaha

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am

Bloody hell, I thought it was easy to wind Sheff and Phil in.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Bloody hell, I thought it was easy to wind Sheff and Phil in.

Your not on a wind up with Neville though are you? You genuinely idolise him

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:22 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Bloody hell, I thought it was easy to wind Sheff and Phil in.

So bad that one of the best clubs in the world has kept him on all these years - Neville must be truly rubbish then, eh Wayne?

Maybe we could get a few of these rubbish "cast-offs" on the books at The Banks's, although we'd probably end up in danger of relegation ....... :?

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 pm

I knew we'd be pap, but turning up for my second game of the season I expected to see a team burst out of the blocks and want to turn the great result at Charlton into some genuine momentum. Instead I got a goalkeeper out of his depth unable to save a shot at a comfortable height, a right back exposed again and again by his colleagues, a left back who could have cost us four goals on another day (that day being if Lee Hughes had have been there to finish Ince's crosees), two centre halves who are fundamentally decent but were out-thought by the movement of their opponents, a right and left winger who offered an outlet and did well but were rarely used effectively, two central midfielders who couldn't impose themselves on the game, one striker who is raw but about whom my instinct says he won't make it and another striker who is finished at the football club in my opinion.

The blame? The manager. He should have had that team bouncing off the wall in the build up to the game, having not played for so long since a fantastic and unexpected win. If he can't motivate them, then he has lost them. There is no way back. Our play had a dull tempo; nothing ever looked like happening because we were plodding and one-paced. Richards is a good player, but he needs a ball-playing central midfielder next to him so that he can do the nitty-gritty ball winning. We need a midfielder who will do what Keates did in 06-07 - use the ball well and adventurously and arrive late in the box for an added attacking threat. Our wingers were neglected, and with Macken and Reid (inexplicably) on the bench, on the rare occasions they were used there was no one to run into the right positions off the ball. When Macken came on, we at least had a bit of guile up top.

McGivern was very poor; he was outclassed, knew it and spent the rest of the game hiding and blaming others. How he could blame Richards after the second goal is beyond me. I like Lancashire, it is refreshing to see a centre-back try to pass the ball out of defence rather than hoof it. He wasn't too bad yesterday.

I knew we'd be pap, but that was something quite remarkable. The reaction when Gray went off summed it up for me; no boos, no applause, just silence. Someone above called the style of play 1980s; Hutchings and O'Connor must take the blame for this but it should also be said that their team didn't put a shift in when it was needed.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:55 pm

didnt realise at the time, that we had marshall on the bench and played that waste of space.

its sinking in just how shoking that decision was, is he off his bloody face the stupid twerp.

being as i dont have a season ticket, next home game im going to sit the text stand and give dogface a piece of everyones mind

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 pm

brummie saddler wrote:didnt realise at the time, that we had marshall on the bench and played that waste of space.

its sinking in just how shoking that decision was, is he off his bloody face the stupid fool.

being as i dont have a season ticket, next home game im going to sit the text stand and give dogface a piece of everyones mind

And that's been the problem all last season and all this season. No proper central midfield, no support for the strikers, no service for the wingers and no cover for the defence. He bought in O'Keefe last year and never played him, now Marshall is going the same way. The man is a joke.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:13 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

I was at the Albion-Utd match yesterday, Neville was shocking!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:15 pm

The English language is a beautiful thing and for those with an imagination and sufficient grasp of its breadth it can aptly describe even the most abstract of concepts.

Having read several match reports and this thread, the English language is holding up a little white flag and admitting that it just doesn't contain the necessary words to get anywhere near describing just how gut-wrenchingly bad yesterday was. So, I'm not even going to try.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:27 pm

shocking yesterday but i thought taundry and marsall werent too bad in the centre of midd when richards was left wing and nichols was right wing.i would of tried gray ,marshall taundry,
jones across middfield but for some strange reason hutch is just not wearing it that richards should be dropped .marshall and geddes are the 2 real center mids who have played there all there lifes and i think playing a right back and a left back in the middle is more to do with oconner which i have been told that oconner and marshall dont get on probably why lescott was in the middle.i feel that marshall and geddes in the middle with 2 proper wingers alongside them is a far better option than richards and lescot who lets face it dont think like midds because there not midds and i dont think its there fault its dogfaces anf for me yesterday was and should of been hes last game in charge

Brandon Flowers
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:01 pm

How is Ryan McGivern a professional footballer???

McGivern, Lancashire & Brain have to be 3 of the worst players I have ever seen in the shirt and we've had some rubbish in the 25 years that I've been going.

We have no leadership anywhere on the park, no-one, Jones is finished, Lescott awful and Reuben 'attitude' Reid can go as soon as he wants IMO...

We're down - simple as that!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Re: Notts County (H) League - 1st January 2011

Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Brandon Flowers wrote:How is Ryan McGivern a professional footballer???

McGivern, Lancashire & Brain have to be 3 of the worst players I have ever seen in the shirt and we've had some rubbish in the 25 years that I've been going.

I kind if agree....however they've been at bigger clubs who must have seen some potential.

The players are obviously poor professionals because instead of leaving their lack of respect for the manager in the dressing room, their lack of professionalism is meaning they aren't playing for their own reputation on the pitch.

However I still maintain its impossible to judge any of these players under Hutchings. Remember the instant improvement of all players from when Money took over?

There is no direction, leadership, discipline or organisation from Hutchings, something a Nichols, Graydon or Money would bring in an instant. Imagine the difference that kind of manager would make to these players. Huge in my opinion.

Blame the players for lack of pride, but for little else in my opinion.

Change the manager now with games against Tranmere, Rovers and Dagenham due, and this season could turn round very quickly.

It's up to the spineless board to stand up to Bonser now.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Re: Notts County (H) League - 1st January 2011

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Brandon Flowers wrote:How is Ryan McGivern a professional footballer???

I kind if agree....however they've been at bigger clubs who must have seen some potential.

The players are obviously poor professionals because instead of leaving their lack of respect for the manager in the dressing room, their lack of professionalism is meaning they aren't playing for their own reputation on the pitch.

However I still maintain its impossible to judge any of these players under Hutchings. Remember the instant improvement of all players from when Money took over?

There is no direction, leadership, discipline or organisation from Hutchings, something a Nichols, Graydon or Money would bring in an instant. Imagine the difference that kind of manager would make to these players. Huge in my opinion.

Blame the players for lack of pride, but for little else in my opinion.

Change the manager now with games against Tranmere, Rovers and Dagenham due, and this season could turn round very quickly.

It's up to the spineless board to stand up to Bonser now.

I agree with every single word pal. These are not awful players, they have potential. The current manager is the cause - there is no leadership, organisation or passion. So how the players are supposed to emit these qualities is beyond me.

Although Jonny Brain is truly shocking. Get Bevan in.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season