Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (H) League - 1st January 2011

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Notts County (H) League - 1st January 2011

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:42 pm

When we have been bad before, there was always a chink of light. Now there is nothing.If we go down, we wont be back up for another ten years.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Arrived at the ground 30 minutes earlier than usual, full of New Year optimism.

Went for a drink in the Bonser Suite to be advised it was still 'Happy Hour' and got a cheaper pint.

How ironic that 'Happy Hour' was followed by 90 minutes of sheer frigging misery.

Burnt my tongue on the Chicken and Mushroom pie - Unbelievable.

We are officially a laughing stock.

Hutchings Out, Bonser Out. Caterers Out.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:16 pm

I went today and to be honest it felt like the final nail in our coffin. Even if there isn't much quality in a squad you can do the basics and get them organised, fit and get them working for the shirt, but not Hutchings. Every player has gone backwards or stagnated at best under Hutchings. His signings are awful, he has no tactical knowledge and his teams are a throw back to 1980's, long ball, completely rigid 442 where centre halves lump it every time. I thought Mullen was a dinosaur but he makes this bloke look like Arsene Wenger. Most worryingly he has no shame and will sit in the managerial seat for as long as he can, regardless of whether we go down or not. Lets face it, unless someone comes in in the next week or so he'll have no time to change things anyway with transfers/loans etc.

Brain - Too error prone and not up to this division.
Westlake - Not amazing but not as terrible as everyone else.
McGivern - Absolute tripe. I really think he's a worse left back than Brain is a goalie and that is saying something.
Butler - Can head and is brave but so are most park centre halves.
Lancashire - Ditto Butler.
Jones - Had one good shot but I he's lost what he had last year.
Gray - MOM? How? People go on about his so called "ability" but I see very little in him that put him on a pedestal. Lazy, overated and not interested.
Lescott - Ha ha ha ha... in midfield!!!!! He's a rubbish full back with no technique or strength... I know get him in the middle of the park.
Richards - Rubbish aswell really.
Nicholls - What talent does he actually have with a ball? He's been 'coming through' for about 7 years now. Awful player.
Grigg - Not great but had the odd flash that he is an ok player. That will be knocked out of him under this manager.

Subs - Did nothing of note.

That's it - down for sure. Hutchings, you've ruined this club and my enjoyment of it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Nothing positive to be taken from that game at all. From back to front we looked terrible. As longdogs says, putting a fellow hobbit alongside Richards in the form of a second-rate full-back (@aaronlescott) was a sick joke. Note to Hutchings: YOU signed Paul Marshall as a central midfielder - if you won't play him above a fullback, what does that say about the signing? No one did particularly well. Gray ran around a lot, which was nice, Grigg put himself about a bit, which was good, but it is all ultimately futile if collectively we are slow to the ball, indecisive with it, and too easily pushed off it. Men against boys today. Notts County weren't great, but they didn't have to be.

At a club where the owner is there to witness such a performance, and hear the crowd's response, a manager would most probably be sacked tonight. But I'm under no illusions that Hutchings won't be still in post on Monday.

For the first time, I'm considering my season ticket for next year. Not just the performance, but the lousy atmosphere, the sarcastic cheering as Brain collects the ball, the boos for the 'Man of the Match', the rain, the Bovril, the rows of empty seats... Do I need this? Do I need it to the tune of £300-plus? I wonder. :(

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:21 pm

kshammer wrote:I went today and to be honest it felt like the final nail in our coffin. Even if there isn't much quality in a squad you can do the basics and get them organised, fit and get them working for the shirt, but not Hutchings. Every player has gone backwards or stagnated at best under Hutchings. His signings are awful, he has no tactical knowledge and his teams are a throw back to 1980's, long ball, completely rigid 442 where centre halves lump it every time. I thought Mullen was a dinosaur but he makes this bloke look like Arsene Wenger. Most worryingly he has no shame and will sit in the managerial seat for as long as he can, regardless of whether we go down or not. Lets face it, unless someone comes in in the next week or so he'll have no time to change things anyway with transfers/loans etc.

Brain - Too error prone and not up to this division.
Westlake - Not amazing but not as terrible as everyone else.
McGivern - Absolute tripe. I really think he's a worse left back than Brain is a goalie and that is saying something.
Butler - Can head and is brave but so are most park centre halves.
Lancashire - Ditto Butler.
Jones - Had one good shot but I he's lost what he had last year.
Gray - MOM? How? People go on about his so called "ability" but I see very little in him that put him on a pedestal. Lazy, overated and not interested.
Lescott - Ha ha ha ha... in midfield!!!!! He's a rubbish full back with no technique or strength... I know get him in the middle of the park.
Richards - Rubbish aswell really.
Nicholls - What talent does he actually have with a ball? He's been 'coming through' for about 7 years now. Awful player.
Grigg - Not great but had the odd flash that he is an ok player. That will be knocked out of him under this manager.

Subs - Did nothing of note.

That's it - down for sure. Hutchings, you've ruined this club and my enjoyment of it.

100% agree with every word of that.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:29 pm

1st game since tranmere in october. Made a resolution to not send any more money to Cyprus until our esteemed owner saw fit to sack this grinning idiot. Like all resolutions, I failed to keep it.

We were worse than then if possible. We were so bad it was actually boring - I couldn't even raise the energy to boo by the end. Complete shite. On a special note, I thought that Mcgivern was utterly outstanding today, a truely memorable performance. If Sansara came back from Corby, he might actually get in the team in front of him.

DOGFACE OUT

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:30 pm

despite my rantings about me never going again i decided to £20 of my hard earned money so i could sit with my 2 mates and catch up with chrimbo
nevertheless i thought maybe off the back of a great win at charlton and a 2 week break maybe the momentum might kick in and we might put in a performance.
my god we did put a performance in. one of the worst ive seen in many a year.
wasnt the fact that we were outplayed by a team down there with us it was just that as soon as we fell behind we comppletly gave up.
i was saying in years gone by under good and bad managers even if we had have been 2 down at half time there was maybe a squeak that we would fight back but not with this current squad and manager.
i have to say that the players were totally awful today and maybe they aint playing for the manager but why put in a decent display against charlton.
i cant work it out at all.
was probably the most boring 90 minutes of my life ive ever endured and having given them a chance new year and all that they just confirmed what ive thought for a while that were a joke of a club with a joke of a manager and probably the most unwilling players ive ever seen.
i couldnt even be sure that a new manager could sort that lot out but hey ho who knows.
anyway id take a slice of the deeney/ fryatt money and pay these 2 clowns off and for rest of season id put dean smith and the pshyio in charge
cant do any worse than whats there now and see it out until end of season.
my mate said bonser will sack hutch a few games before the early birds are due again.
do you think we will fall for it yet again???

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:32 pm

King Crimson wrote:putting a fellow hobbit alongside Richards in the form of a second-rate full-back (@aaronlescott) was a sick joke. Note to Hutchings: YOU signed Paul Marshall as a central midfielder - if you won't play him above a fullback, what does that say about the signing?

That decision condemned us to defeat before we even started. On what planet was Lescott the best possible option to play centre midfield? I watched him in despair, as he inevitably wandered around like a lost sheep, contributing nothing. He's a poor full back, an inconsequential captain, and utterly unable to play centre midfield. Somehow Hutchings left him there all game. In a season of poor team selections it stands out as the single worst decision Hutchings has made.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:33 pm

One thing is for sure. Notts County won't get an easier three points away from home this season.

By the end of the game hysteria had set in, laughing at how inept we were. Oh sorry, didn't stop till the very end, walked out with a few minutes left - had to collect my 50/50 winnings! Even waiting for RW to turn up to payout I couldn't get away from that tripe - it was on the TV in the reception area.

After a performance of that ineptitude I don't know when I will bother gracing the Banks's Stadium next!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:44 pm

If we don't sack Hutchings tonight then we obvioulsy are not bothered about staying up. FACT.

What a total and utter bag of crap that was. We were lucky not to be done 5 or 6 tonight.

Even worse, news comes through that a table of certain UTSers in the Bonser Suite were totally ignored by Mr Whalley. Is there money not as good as others Whalley?

The whole club is a fudge disgrace from top to bottom. I'm sorry if that upsets some of our more forgiving supporters but that is the truth. DISGRACE.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:51 pm

What a sack of cack that was, no passion, no communucation, naf all.

We got well and truely smashed today by a below average County side who are 16th, Notts whole team battered us especially their 2 wingers, oh and they didn't even have Hughes playing!

We are going down, tbh i wouldn't mind it....nice trips to Burton ect & Hutchings surely won't be here?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:54 pm

latviancheese wrote:Richards- could deliver a set piece.

You mean like out of the 3 corners he took after Gray went off, one rolled to the first man, one flew miles past the back post and the other was easily cleared. Thank god for him!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:04 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

You mean like out of the 3 corners he took after Gray went off, one rolled to the first man, one flew miles past the back post and the other was easily cleared. Thank god for him!

Good to see you retain the ability to see the big picture, Phil. Richards wasn't great today. Poor in fact. On another day, he might have been noticeably poor, but he was in good company this afternoon. The fact that he was partnered by a midget of a full back didn't help. Still, your mate @taundz can escape criticism for today's debacle. That's the main thing, eh?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:18 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Happy New Year Phil.
Good to meet you few weeks back. Nice to see your still picking on Richards he was crud but so was everyone else.
The club is rotting from top to bottom.

ovsee18

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Absolute Rubbish!

Does anyone else know why we are so determined to give the ball back to the opposition? Every time one of the back 4 won the ball they felt the need to hoof it straight back to Notts, who couldn't have had an easier afternoon if they played the under 9's! Ok, we are lacking quality but these blokes are meant to be proffessional footballers and they don't seem to be able to pass the ball to feet, aren't willing to apply pressure when they don't have the ball, can't defend or put the ball in the back of the net!
Surely if you were managing a team with this many problems, you would at least get them to press the opponents or keep the ball for as long as possible. The first goal was offside - no question but you would expect Brain to stop a ball that was hit straight at him (he must have been doing an impersonation of one of the agents in 'The Matrix' getting out of the way of that 1!). We did have a few chances to score (I won't say create as I'd probrably be liable) Jones should have done better in the first half and Nicholls should be put down for missing the easiest chance we'll have this decade!

No passion, no abillity, no clue!

Management must go, we need to start again! I'd like to see George Burley (just sacked as palace manager) come in and get us passing the ball around! Or maybe beg Richard Money and see if he'd come back!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:22 pm

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Good to see you retain the ability to see the big picture, Phil. Richards wasn't great today. Poor in fact. On another day, he might have been noticeably poor, but he was in good company this afternoon. The fact that he was partnered by a midget of a full back didn't help. Still, your mate @taundz can escape criticism for today's debacle. That's the main thing, eh?

But it's not Lescott's fault that he got played out of position. Granted, Lescott hasn't looked much good when he has played at full back this season, but Im convinced that's more to do with the total lack of protection from midfield.

Central midfield is the most important area of any team - you need to be physically competitive and technically good enough to keep the ball, Richards lacks both of those things, yet he is undroppable, and to some, player of the season. :roll:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:24 pm

No, it's not Lescott's fault. Nor is it Richards.

Who would your player of the season be, Phil?

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:25 pm

Are we living in a permanent nightmare?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Happy New Year Phil.
Good to meet you few weeks back. Nice to see your still picking on Richards he was crud but so was everyone else.
The club is rotting from top to bottom.

Actually, I thought Jones, Grigg, Westlake and Butler could come out of todays game with a smidge of credit - at least they had a go.

The problem comes with the likes of Richards, Lescott, Nicholls, McGivern et al who dont appear to give two hoots and consistently underperform. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that Richards is a) played in an incredibly important position that he is simply not good enough for and b) is totally undroppable.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:29 pm

philthesaddler wrote:But it's not Lescott's fault that he got played out of position.

Agreed. That's the fault of the buffoon who picked him.

Granted, Lescott hasn't looked much good when he has played at full back this season, but Im convinced that's more to do with the total lack of protection from midfield.

So...
Lescott crap at full back = Richards' fault
Lescott crap at centre-midfield = Richards' fault...

Central midfield is the most important area of any team - you need to be physically competitive and technically good enough to keep the ball, Richards lacks both of those things, yet he is undroppable, and to some, player of the season. :roll:

Whilst I realise that we're way past the point of changing your mind about him, I'm open to suggestions of who should be player of the season if it's not Matt Richards.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:31 pm

King Crimson wrote:No, it's not Lescott's fault. Nor is it Richards.

Who would your player of the season be, Phil?

But Richards is apparently a really good central midfielder, so why does he perform so damn poorly in that position? Why does he get walked over?

As for player of the season, Butler, he's only been here a short while, but he's the only one who performs to a decent level on a regular basis.

Regardless of that, it's says a lot that a player so poor and inconsistent as Richards can even be considered as a player worthy of that acolade.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:35 pm

philthesaddler wrote:As for player of the season, Butler, he's only been here a short while, but he's the only one who performs to a decent level on a regular basis.

Regardless of that, it's says a lot that a player so poor and inconsistent as Richards can even be considered as a player worthy of that acolade.

It says a lot that a player who's played five league games in the centre of a defence which has conceded 10 goals in those games could be considered worthy of that accolade.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:38 pm

longdogs wrote:
Granted, Lescott hasn't looked much good when he has played at full back this season, but Im convinced that's more to do with the total lack of protection from midfield.

So...
Lescott crud at full back = Richards' fault
Lescott crud at centre-midfield = Richards' fault...

Where did I say that?

Putting Lescott in midfield is stupid - regardless of who he's playing next to. You could play him next to Nigel De Jong or Gareth Barry and he'd be poor there because thats not his position. The fact he's poor in that position is nothing to do with Richards.

The fact he's been poor at full back does have a lot to do with midfield though, and funnily enough, Richards is the common denominator in midfield. You don't control midfield from the wings, thats not Julian Grays job, nor is it Steve Jones is job - it's the job of the lads in the middle, they are the ones who will make the difference between having the ball, and not having the ball.

Richards gives the ball away far too often for a centre midfielder and never ever tackles or wins a header. Now, although Taundry may not be the best passer in the world, at least he'll win his fair share of tackles - so Yes, you have to look at your midfielders who are not performing defensively when considering your defence.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:41 pm

We began the season by comparing the contribution of Richards to that of Taundry and Marshall, not Xavi and Fabregas.

Your player of the season is Butler?! :D

So, Marshall can't get a gig in midfield ahead of Aaron Lescott.
Taundry is either (a) absent or (b) lacking in any meaningful contribution. Apart from conceding a penalty. No goals. No assists. No point.

For the nth time, no one is claiming Richards is anything special Phil. So please stop suggesting they are. It's a sad situation that he is the ONLY meaningful candidate for player of the season.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:51 pm

:x :x :x

That was blooody rubbish today!

I paid 16 English pounds stirling to see that. That's 8 quid a half. I feel like writing a letter demanding some compensation - on the grounds that the product was not 'fit for purpose'

And Brain!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

:x :x :x

bush360
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Despite watching the saddlers for 30+ years I cannot remember a season this bad, without any guidance, without any method of what to do.

What was the point of taking grigg and Nicholls off, the problem was midfield, there was no aggression, no one was showing for the ball, no closing down.

Absolutely shocking, cannot see any way forward from this, a new manager will not fix this mess, the club is too far gone.

Will I go next season, I very much doubt it

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:04 pm

For me, only one person employed by Walsall FC came out of today's match with any credit - the woman who sold me a cheese pasty just before kick-off! I was overjoyed to discover that they still had any available by that time of the afternoon. Well done to whoever is in charge of pasty procurement; fancy giving football management a go?

As for the match - can't be bothered to say anything.

Monkey_Eyd

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 pm

bush360 wrote:Despite watching the saddlers for 30+ years I cannot remember a season this bad, without any guidance, without any method of what to do.

What was the point of taking grigg and Nicholls off, the problem was midfield, there was no aggression, no one was showing for the ball, no closing down.

Absolutely shocking, cannot see any way forward from this, a new manager will not fix this mess, the club is too far gone.

Will I go next season, I very much doubt it

a man of your age should remember 89-90 :-D

but its near as damn it. Not a big poster, but been going for as long myself, home and away since about 93 and thats, and think atmosphere taken into account, the worst season ive endured. I wont be renewing my season ticket, my Dads or my girlfriend until..... well we all know until when, and it upsets me to say that.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Ahhh good old phillip. As i sat there watching the game, i just knew you would come back on here to slate Richards. Yes he had a tripe game, but he was the better of the worst bunch. Richards also took two shots, spazzed them both. You forgot to mention that.

Its quite worrying how much you love Richards.

KC, i would say the fact we missed Taundry shows how bad we are. :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:34 pm

The match thread appears to be as good as the game. Swifty hijacking half of it for his Bonser drivel, philthesaddler the other half for his RIchards vendetta. In between I've learned that today we were mostly rubbish.

How has Hutchings still got a job? :shock:

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season