Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Tuesday 11/1/11. Re Arranged

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Tuesday 11/1/11. Re Arranged

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:We're relegated.

I was saying exactly that two weeks ago , whoever takes over as a massive task to avoid the drop no doubt about that ,

We are now half way thought the season and at last the team are showing togetherness , fight and spirit .

Lets see what Saturday brings .

7 or 8 points from safety. Over the remaining 23 games it is comfortably achieveable if the players are up to it and have a bit of luck. If they are not up to it then we'll go down, but we are far from 'relegated'.

UTS

7, could be 10 after Saturday. Could be 13 after there game in hand..

We might be able to comfortably get 7-8 points. But the teams around us are also going to gain points. We could need another 26ish points to survive. Can we get that? I don't think so.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 pm

stig231 wrote:Bizarrely I think we have shown a sort of togetherness and spirit for most of the season because for a team in the bottom 4 for most of it we haven't really been tonked too many times.Unfortunately togetherness and spirit are not much use without ability , organistaion and discilpline and they are 3 big things to be short of!

That's the thing though. There's not one stat in particular that points towards why we're struggling.
Aside from our points tally, we haven't scored enough goals and we've conceded too many. That's a very dangerous combination.

Yes, Smith has seemingly improved one aspect of our struggles by improving the work-rate. Evidence suggest that we'll need more than that to stay up though, despite quite a few of us saying earlier this season that the quality should be there.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 pm

A more realistic assessment of the task in hand is obtained by looking at what sort of target we need by the end of the season. For each of the last six seasons in League One any team ending up on 51 points would have been safe from relegation. Every year it has either been 50 or 51 points for safety, so if we set ourselves a target of 51 points, that means we need 32 points from our remaining 23 games - "simples".

9 wins @ 3 points a game equals 27 points
5 draws @ 1 point a game equals 5 points
9 losses @ 0 points equals 0 points

So the question is, which 9 games do we think we can win, and which can we draw. Or look at it another way, which 9 games can we look at straight away and say "we'll get nothing out of that", and then concentrate on the other 14 games.

(Discuss!!)

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Shame Grimsby's Rivals site is no more. I used to really enjoy using their free relegation calculator!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:So the question is, which 9 games do we think we can win, and which can we draw. Or look at it another way, which 9 games can we look at straight away and say "we'll get nothing out of that", and then concentrate on the other 14 games.

(Discuss!!)

...then completely turn your predictions on their head. Just look at Charlton away and Tranmere at home for why. :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Exile wrote:Full Time 2-2

At least we're not losing, and if the players can actually now believe a little more we may yet have a chance.

But we still can't keep a clean sheet. Have been in front in two games, given away two quick goals in both games and ended up chasing the games. Faded badly in the second half of both games and conceded five goals in two games.
Still seem to have more fight and team spirit under Smith just stating the facts though.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:56 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
Exile wrote:Full Time 2-2

At least we're not losing, and if the players can actually now believe a little more we may yet have a chance.

But we still can't keep a clean sheet. Have been in front in two games, given away two quick goals in both games and ended up chasing the games. Faded badly in the second half of both games and conceded five goals in two games.
Still seem to have more fight and team spirit under Smith just stating the facts though.

Ar but at least its a start.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 pm

Take off the Rose tinted glasses for god sake.. :roll:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:59 pm

As sir Elton John says its was nice to come from behind tonight. But our problem is protecting our defence,we have scored 5 goals away from home in two games but let in 5 sort out midfield and we may be safe.IMO

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 am

Just got back from a really enjoyable game which on balance produced a fair result.

Walsall should have been home and hosed after half an hour, yet could easily conceded 4 in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

We were at them from the start with some good passing and movement. Macken and Grigg looked a good pairing up front. Nicholls made some good runs, however, as usual there was little end product. The midfield worked hard and the defence looked in control against what seemed a lacklustre Rovers side. Bevan did what he had to do very well and looked confident with his handling. Well worth the lead at half time, however, a few were questioning whether we would regret not turning our dominance into a bigger lead, having conceded 10 goals in the past 3 games

Rovers made a substitution at HT and the game turned on its head in the first 20 minutes. I was convinced that there equaliser should have been ruled out for offside as I was right in line. After taking the lead they were all over us for 15 minutes and should have scored again although credit is due for some resolute defending from our lot.

We fought our way back into the game and with Patterson looking good when he came on we scored a really good equaliser which overall we deserved.

The players seemed to respond to Smith's encouragement from the touchline which was good to see.

Plenty of positives for me tonight, particularly the effort and the fact that heads did not drop when we went 2-1 down. Areas for improvement would be Gray's workrate (what he did was good but he does not get involved enough for me) and an alternative to Nicholls (tried hard but just lacks the quality)

I know it's stating the obvious but we need to tighten up at the back quickly if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 am

chestersaddler wrote:Just got back from a really enjoyable game which on balance produced a fair result.

Walsall should have been home and hosed after half an hour, yet could easily conceded 4 in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

We were at them from the start with some good passing and movement. Macken and Grigg looked a good pairing up front. Nicholls made some good runs, however, as usual there was little end product. The midfield worked hard and the defence looked in control against what seemed a lacklustre Rovers side. Bevan did what he had to do very well and looked confident with his handling. Well worth the lead at half time, however, a few were questioning whether we would regret not turning our dominance into a bigger lead, having conceded 10 goals in the past 3 games

Rovers made a substitution at HT and the game turned on its head in the first 20 minutes. I was convinced that there equaliser should have been ruled out for offside as I was right in line. After taking the lead they were all over us for 15 minutes and should have scored again although credit is due for some resolute defending from our lot.

We fought our way back into the game and with Patterson looking good when he came on we scored a really good equaliser which overall we deserved.

The players seemed to respond to Smith's encouragement from the touchline which was good to see.

Plenty of positives for me tonight, particularly the effort and the fact that heads did not drop when we went 2-1 down. Areas for improvement would be Gray's workrate (what he did was good but he does not get involved enough for me) and an alternative to Nicholls (tried hard but just lacks the quality)

I know it's stating the obvious but we need to tighten up at the back quickly if we are to have any chance of staying up.

Difficult to see on the tv, but the equaliser looked a mile offside

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Just got back from a really enjoyable game which on balance produced a fair result.

Difficult to see on the tv, but the equaliser looked a mile offside

It was, absolutely. We were all waiting for the flag.

The second we conceded was just pure lack of concentration.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 am

I thought it was offside too but, overall, you have to give credit to the Gas, and Dave Penney in particular, for reshaping things at half-time and getting on top of us for a good portion of the second half. They were fortunate they still had the opportunity to do so as we failed to make the most of our first-half opportunities.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm

Last night was my 1st game for a while due to the postponements and work commitments and I have to say the new spirit and commitment Dean Smith has installed was evident from the 1st whistle. Im not saying he should get the job but whoever is appointed needs to be able to do the same because if we could add a bit of quality and stop leaking goals we could stay out of trouble.

David Bevan looks like he has a lot of potential, collects crosses and has very assured handling. A lot better than another Irishman we had last season who thought he was far better than he is. Will Grigg I believe will be a hell of a player with more games, caused them problems all night.
For me Alex Nicholls is not good enough, hes one of these footballers who if he didnt have pace would not be a professional footballer, whoever told him to take set pieces last night needs looking at at, i dont think he beat the 1st man once. The rest of the team and all put a good shift in, just a shame we had a mad 5 minutes else we would of come home will all 3 points.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Banksy wrote:Will Grigg I believe will be a hell of a player with more games, caused them problems all night.

Really can't understand why Hutchings ignored him for so long. Looks a real intelligent player to me.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Banksy wrote:Will Grigg I believe will be a hell of a player with more games, caused them problems all night.

Really can't understand why Hutchings ignored him for so long. Looks a real intelligent player to me.

I agree, a bit like Colin Lee sticking Fryatt on the wing.

He's got a cracking first touch and looks like he could be a real player.

popperpancake

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Brandon Flowers wrote:
RobboH89 wrote:
stig231 wrote:
Walsall_fan1992 wrote:Anyone hear on wm hinting we had signed a villa player on loan?

Yes , when they went to reporter at ground about 7.15 (before they knew the teams) he said we were hoping to have a loan signing in time for tonight but couldn't say who before the clubs confirmed it.

He then said it may be a midfielder , may be from Villa , who hasn't played much recently.

Fabian Delph maybe? Amazing signing if it is!

Or even Moustapha Salifou - saw him play at Bescot for Villa reserves a few years ago and he was excellent.
Often wondered why he's never been out on loan, as he was superb that night...

I've been told it is Andreas Weimann, a striker.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

good banter last night, George michael must have been in the portaloos, 4 players went in while warming up! ..... anyway, quich synopsis.

1st half, good attacking Charlton like performance, should have been 3 up.

2nd half, first 25 minutes played like a pub team, night after a stag do. last 15 minutes, more of the first half display.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:06 pm

oh....and stick with Grigg, ...."he's got saft hair but we don't care"....he COULD be the new Fryatt.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

For someone who looks like he isn't good in the air, he's very good in the air.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Duke wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:We're relegated.

I was saying exactly that two weeks ago , whoever takes over as a massive task to avoid the drop no doubt about that ,

We are now half way thought the season and at last the team are showing togetherness , fight and spirit .

Lets see what Saturday brings .

A heavy defeat, no doubt about it, Huddersfield will probably win the play offs this year, they only need to change gear
to score, fraid it will be like a shooting gallery for 'em. Then DanWalsallFC's prediction will become reality.

(Ever the optimist mode)... I wouldn't be too sure - Huddersfield managed to score three against Plymouth, BUT:-

Plymouth played most of the game with 10, and then 9, men

One of the Huddersfield goals was actually a Plymouth o.g.

boris the saddler

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Yes it is a bit annoying that people keep saying we are X off safety. It's VERY simple. 51 sees you safe and that is in OUR gift, forget whatever else anyone does (except if it's Stoke against Gillingham last game of the season after Wacka gets stupidly and needlessly sent off in a never-gonna-win cup tie at Millwall, following an ill-judged Dazza Wrack Sunday Mercury prediction of reaching the playoffs made at Xmas - in which case you get unjustifibly relegated and it's never as good again)

So 51 is what we need. It's do-able. Just. Nuff said.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season