Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 25/1/11 Re Arranged

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 25/1/11 Re Arranged

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm

We created enough chances to put Oldham to bed tonite, we lack a real finisher in the side, IMO Richards was the best player on the field tonite.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 pm

saddlerken wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I seriously think, that with a new fresh face in charge, we would have won that game tonight.

Sorry Daz, not a chance in hell, they worked stupidly hard tonight, I'm afraid the players are just not good enough in terms of quality.

Agreed.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:35 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:We created enough chances to put Oldham to bed tonite, we lack a real finisher in the side

This.

Disappointing not to have got at least one goal in the first half. We had plenty of possession, but we're not sharp enough in the penalty area. Also, I know you create your own luck, but the ball NEVER falls for us in front of goal.

Plenty of fight this evening, and vastly better than home matches under Hutchings, but the draw tonight feels like a defeat. :(

I see I'm not the only person who thought the officials were poor tonight.

Chris
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:46 pm

I think we should have won that. Grigg had 3 guilt-edged chances; you can't miss that many in one game at any level. Putting those in the net is the difference between playing well and winning and playing well and not winning; or as Hutchings called it 'being unlucky'.

The midlfield was non-existent for me. A simple one-two by Oldham often put Richards and Gill out of the equation far too easily. Defence was exposed far too much as a result of this and I thought Lancashire and Butler did well considering. Lost count of how many balls they won in the air as well.

We look most dangerous when attacking wide. Trying to pick our way through the middle never looks convincing. None of our midfield or forwards are comfortable enough on the ball.

We're trying to play football, which is something at least, even if we don't always look comfortable enough on the ball to pull it off. The standard hoofball from our centre halves to the opposing keeper were reduced to only a couple of instances by my count.

The fight was there as other have said, but there was a lot of ball watching for me. The forwards in particular looked absolutely shell shocked when the ball came their way. They didn't anticipate much at all. Grigg and Macken look like they are playing for different teams and I put that more down to Grigg than Macken.

Agree with the above observation about the ref. I'm all for letting the game flow, but Jesus Christ!

Just my observations...

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Draw was probably a fair result, maybe we could have gone away with all 3 points if we just pushed up while attacking or actually attacked with some sort of tempo, its always slow and predictable which is very easy to defend.

Good fight by the lads tonight though, just that most of them aint cut out at this level, no matter how much they try. So on that basis, we are down, not due to the manager but due to the cack Hutchings signed at the start of the season.

I also though the ref & lino were awful, didn't have a clue.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Just got back from the game. Plenty of heart, but ultimately not enough quality.

Walker - makes a massive difference to the way we defend because he'll communicate with the back four and stay on his toes in the box. It's not rocket science, but Brain was completely lacking in both of those departments.

Westlake - not 100% to blame, but could definitely have done better for their goal. That said, he seemed unsure whether to commit to a challenge, which may have had something to do with the riduclous booking he received about 15 minutes earlier. Took his goal well though and made himself available to keep things moving forward in the second half, which shows that he's got the right attitude.
Butler - he's no world beater, but I'd go as far as saying we'd be a handful of points better off had he been in the side from the start. Committed in the challenge and willing to take responsibility, even if his clearances are unconvincing every so often.
Lancashire - a definite improvement on Smith, but still fits into that category of player we have in our squad who are too error prone. Gifted their striker a one on one which he should have scored.
Lescott - I thought Chris Palmer was an awful defender, but Lescott fits into a class of his own. When he's got the ball at his feet and has time to pick a pass, he's fine but aren't we all?!

Nicholls - tries, but isn't good enough. How many crosses did he play into the box tonight? Clue: It was less than two.
Gray - doesn't want to defend when we have to, which makes for some scary moments as he & Lescott completely flounder when the ball gets played into our half. Did at least get a few decent balls into the box though.
Richards - a poor game by his standards. Just didn't get on the ball enough.
Gill - looked like an experienced version of Taundry to me. Not necessarily a bad player, but not the sort of player to really drive things forward at our time of need.

Macken - held the ball up well despite being pulled and shoved all over the place by their centre halves.
Grigg - linked up well with Macken and did well to get into some threatening positions. Unfortunately though, missed two one on ones.

Overall, it was a performance much in the same vein as against Huddersfield, but against a poorer side. We probably just about edged things, but a win for either side would have been harsh on the other. Quality was in really short supply, which is why we're going down.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:55 pm

I suppose that, on balance, it was a fair score but we COULD have won it. Oldham were a well-organised pacey team and you could see why they are highly placed in the league. Their skipper, Reuben Hazell was a class act at the back and Chris Taylor always posed a threat in attack. However, Hazell's centre-back partner, Neal Trotman, was little more than a lumbering thug. He would have been better off doing his summer job, giving rides to kids on Blackpool beach. How on earth he avoided being cautioned, at the very least, I'll never know - poor refereeing.

On to the super Saddlers - same as previous games - we actually played good football for most of the match (totally unlike the Hutchings era). However, we are nervous in defence and lack an incisive finisher.

Walker - did nothing wrong and was vocal

Westlake - had his hands full with Taylor but played well. His goal was a cracker, from 20 yards out - probably clinched the sponsors' MotM award.
Lancashire - generally steady but one terrible slip, on the hour, let Oumare Tounkare in for a clear run on goal but Wacka came to the rescue.
Butler - very basic but defended well and set a good captain's example - my MotM, shading it just ahead of Westlake.
Lescott - did what he had to - and nothing more.

Nicholls - wide right, threatened a lot but delivered little.
Gill - who? totally anonymous - no surprise when subbed off - badly at fault with Filipe Morais's goal for the visitors.
Richards - same as ever - always looked comfortable on the ball but couldn't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag - the best of the midfield four but that's not saying much.
Gray - they marked him tightly as they had obviously watched us, last Saturday. Showed a lot more appetite for the game but never really opened them up.

Macken - age has really caught up with him, I feel. Tries hard but never looked a threat.
Grigg - frustrating - always needs that extra split second on the ball. Hopefully, the sharpness will come with match experience.

Marshall (on for Gill) - didn't really have time to get involved.

There were more positives than negatives, tonight, but time is running out, I'm afraid. Who knows, maybe a win against the Gas on Saturday might just be the vital confidence-booster?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 pm

saddlerken wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I seriously think, that with a new fresh face in charge, we would have won that game tonight.

Sorry Daz, not a chance in hell, they worked stupidly hard tonight, I'm afraid the players are just not good enough in terms of quality.

Completely agree with Ken. Suggesting that we would have won that with another manager in charge is nothing more than unfounded speculation.

The squad isn't good enough. We've got a back four who give forwards far too much time and space, and a front line who don't put their chances away. That's not down to tactics, style of play or man management - it's just a lack of quality.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 pm

You dont have to have a great team to do anything in this division.
All you need is a defence that dont let in many goals and a team that is drilled and organised.
Unfortunately Walsall have failed in the first one all season and now.
But getting better in the second one.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:You dont have to have a great team to do anything in this division.
All you need is a defence that dont let in many goals and a team that is drilled and organised.
Unfortunately Walsall have failed in the first one all season and now.
But getting better in the second one.

I agree Sheff. Oldham showed that tonight. They had two absolute brutes at centre half who barely missed a kick (and when I say kick, I mean a big boot onto the car park) and a midfield who did little else but work hard. I'd even go as far as saying that they were poor up front. And yet they find themselves lurking in the shadows of the playoffs.

I hated Paul Dickov as a player, and I'm not a massive fan of him as a retired player/manager either, but the way he's put his side together makes a mockery of Hutchings, who's been in management a good decade longer.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:18 pm

Coulda won it, coulda lost it. Again better football but that on it's own ay gonna save us.

Had too much to drink for any in depth analysis other than to say, although the ref didn't cost us anything, what a complete knob.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:24 pm

I forgot Westlake had been booked for daring to win the ball.

Personally i thought Oldham were pretty pap, but they knew how to defend away from home. As Sheff says thats good enough to be top half at this level.

Rueben Hazell was hardly a "class" act Peda, just put his foot through everything.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm

latviancheese wrote:I forgot Westlake had been booked for daring to win the ball.

Exactly! He won the ball cleanly and got booked. Butler went through their player and had a talking to. Great refereeing :roll:

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 pm

A draw was about a fair result.This was a far better game of football than the dross we would have seen under Hutch.To be fair Oldham were one of the better sides we have seen this season-much better than Huddersfield imo.
Unfotunately a draw at this stage is not good enough.We now need snookers!

It was interesting to hear WM saying that even Hutch thinks he should have gone sooner.What a position to be in when the manager thinks he should be sacked,the fans think he should be sacked but the owner can't afford to sack him!Only at WFC........

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm

m&m wrote:To be fair Oldham were one of the better sides we have seen this season-much better than Huddersfield imo.

Completely disagree. They were bread & butter at this level whereas Huddersfield at least had some players to really carry a threat like Pilkington, Kilbane & Clarke.
Oldham would have been swept aside with ease 12 months ago.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 pm

We continue to show a degree of improvement but it's still not enough to win a match.

We did everything but score in the first half and then Oldham go and take the lead 7 or so minutes before half time.

It would have been nice to have someone to bring off the bench to replace Macken or Grigg. Neither could be faulted as they both put a good shift in but we have no flexibility given what remains of our squad.

For me, it says so much that Macken starts every match when he is fit to do so. He's a great asset to bring on or to alternate in the starting line-up but I don't think he's up to playing 90 minutes week in week out.

Gray was my MOTM.

I agree with the comments of others about the officials.
Last edited by mel58 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
m&m wrote:To be fair Oldham were one of the better sides we have seen this season-much better than Huddersfield imo.

Completely disagree. They were bread & butter at this level whereas Huddersfield at least had some players to really carry a threat like Pilkington, Kilbane & Clarke.

If only we could turn the clock back 12 months. When Hutchings was in charge our football was awesome.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

If only we could turn the clock back 12 months. When Hutchings was in charge our football was awesome.

We were far from awesome. But the likes of Mattis, Hughes & Vincent would walk into our current side.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 am

saddlerken wrote:

Spot on. Nothing to fault tonight in the team selection, the tactics, the effort of the players... sadly it just exposed that we're not good enough. Created a few chances which we couldn't finish (to be fair, their keeper made one cracking save from Grigg and one from Macken, but we had a couple of other very good chances which would have been put away by decent League One players), but so often our play was just so laborious and predictable, there was no doubt you were watching a team bottom of the league. With a decent right winger and someone to stick the ball in the net to play alongside Macken we'd do a lot better, but it's almost certainly too late now.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:49 am

tinned wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I forgot Westlake had been booked for daring to win the ball.

Exactly! He won the ball cleanly and got booked. Butler went through their player and had a talking to. Great refereeing :roll:

That Butler challenge was the most nailed-on booking you've ever seen! Dreadful ref tonight (bad decisions for both teams in fairness - but some came in Oldham's penalty area and none came in ours - how we didn't get a penalty for either the "challenge" on Macken where he was virtually being strangled, or Butler being hauled to the ground - maybe he went down too easily, admittedly, but surely a penalty anyway - I don't know).

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:15 am

Better performance - lots of heart and work rate - not enough quality.

Game settled by two good goals, especially Westlake's though credit to Oldham's also. Thought the defence looked slightly better and cut out the mistakes, although Lancashire nearly cost us a goal when he got skinned by Tounkara (presumably the battering ram that had a 'decentish' game). Midfield was okay again, although we didn't get enough width or crosses from the wide men (Gray spent most of his time on the ground or trying a fancy turn when he could have crossed it) and Nicholls who tries hard, but wont ever really but anything more than a par league one winger. Richards had his worst game in a while, but tried stringing things together, more so than Gill who i don't think touched the ball more than 7 or 8 times in the entire game, he put a shift in though.

The more alarming thing for me was the strikeforce. Both looked absolutely nackered by about 60 minutes, especially Grigg who looked like he was struggling to run after an hour. Grigg has potential, but is still raw and is not a natural finisher (he missed a one on one tonight as well as a couple of other decent attempts) and well I'm afraid to say that was Macken's worst game in a Walsall shirt for me, his legs have gone. I said when we signed him he hadn't put the ball in the net consistently at any level since Preston in 1999/2000! He really hasn't cut the mustard, despite the admirable attitude and application.

Walker - Good goal keeper, has years of experience and it shines right the way through the defence. Much more comfortable with him in net than Jon Brain. Bevan can learn alot from him.
Westlake - Close call 2nd for MOTM. Likes to get forward and gives it his all, his goal was beautiful as well. I actually new it was in as soon as he hit it, i as right in line.
Lancashire - One of his better performances and he and Butler looked okay together, he was shrugged off the ball far too easily though and there striker should have scored. Made a goal scoring block late on just as there striker was about to tap it in.
Butler - Motm and just like a certain different Butler that used to play for us, one of my favourites. Puts himself everywhere, leads by example. Isn't afraid to head, tackle, shout and order. Occasionally his clearances aren't great, but he's a better defender than anyone else we have on the books and he can play more football than Smith and McDonald.
Nicholls - Lots of effort and pace and one of his slightly better performances, too lightweight though and doesn't get anywhere near enough crosses in the box considering his pace, good shift though.
Gill - Didn't even no he was playing until he went off, barely touched the ball and didn't contribute to anything attacking or defensive. He did get some game time though, and put another shift in.
Richards - Probably his worst performance of the season,infact since he played wide left last season. Still tried to get things going though and occasionally broke play up, works hard and is the best footballing player and brain of the side.
Gray - Did somethng good, counter-acted by over playing and messing around trying to skin the man when he could have just crossed it. Frustrating because he can be a very good player at this level.
Grigg - Is definetely improving and will become a decent player at this level given more game time, experience and molding. Holds the ball up well, has good control and gets in good positions. Needs to strengthen up and improve his finishing. Could be an important player next season.
Macken - Sadly passed it, legs gone and he didn't really contribute anything throughout the game. Gave the ball away a couple of times too. Lots of effort and endevour, but I think he'l have a struggle to find a league contract next season.

Positives -
- Better defence
- Lancashire & Butler looking more solid at the back as a partnership
- Lots of effort
-Some football played

Negatives
- No cleansheet
- 1 point isn't good enough
- The mess Hutchings assembled is past rectification

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 am

I'd have to agree with quite a few things on here.
The strike force look a little jaded and the lack of options is a big concern. The last update from Byfield was he might be back come feb. We are really missing him. He could link up well with Macken. With regards to defence the unknown is macdonald yet to play under smith and with the argy bargy we have been recieving perhaps his physical presence could have been utilised.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:27 am

I must have been watching a different game last night :roll:

The only hard work in that team was from Macken (Jorge-esque....running around like an headless chicken), Westlake, Butler and Richards. The rest of the team were shocking.

Lescott is worse than Palmer.
Lancashire is flat footed and isnt sharp enough.
Nicholls is as much a winger as Jordan's a virgin.

Gray and Lescott cannot play down the same side, neither one likes to tackle, neither one can pass a ball and neither one can actually give a toss about Walsall FC. During the game both of them were having a nice cosy chat on the halfway line when Wacka was taking a goal kick.

Theres noway we can stay up when we cant beat a poor Oldham side. A big clearout in the summer is needed, Brain, Lescott, Lancashire, Macdonald, Smith, Nicholls, Marshall, Gray and Macken..

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 am

Jockey wrote:I must have been watching a different game last night :roll:

Sounds like it, they did work hard, I dont think anyone was being particularly OTT about the performance

Jockey wrote:Lescott is worse than Palmer.
Lancashire is flat footed and isnt sharp enough.
Nicholls is as much a winger as Jordan's a virgin.

Gray and Lescott cannot play down the same side, neither one likes to tackle, neither one can pass a ball and neither one can actually give a toss about Walsall FC. During the game both of them were having a nice cosy chat on the halfway line when Wacka was taking a goal kick.

Theres noway we can stay up when we cant beat a poor Oldham side. A big clearout in the summer is needed, Brain, Lescott, Lancashire, Macdonald, Smith, Nicholls, Marshall, Gray and Macken..

You are spot on about most of the above, some of our players are Im afraid non league standard, but the workrate was good and the football is at least entertaining

Lescott is the worst full back we have ever had

Wayne Evans will be turning in his....... bed

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 am

For what it's worth I thought last night was the final nail in the coffin. Other than Taylor, Oldham were pretty poor and yet we huffed and puffed and still couldn't beat them. We are where we are because we deserve to be and there is a feeling of resignation in my mind, and around the ground, that the season is over. How sad that is in January...

Walker - still good enough for us and this league
Westlake - grows into games and took his goal superbly, one of few shining lights in this team
Lescott - average last night but awful overall
Butler - he threw himself in everywhere but is a mistake waiting to happen, flat footed and can't turn but is brave and gives 100%
Lancashire - average at best, similar to Butler
Nicholls - not his worst game but offers no quality, needs to go in the summer
Gray - ok in flashes but is better through reputation than actually ability
Gill - did he play? another 3 foot nothing midfielder in a long line of anonomous, Walsall midfielders
Richards - has quality but is a pansy when the studs fly
Macken - so far past it he can't even remember it
Grigg - has promise, plays with his brain but had no real luck last night

Marshall - what is the point of him?

I am trying to remain positive because there is improvement to the abysmal Hutchings regime but if that is the level they can get to then they'll struggle in Division 2 next year. Teams will be physical, organised, low on technique buut will fight and be good at set pieces... everything we are not and can't play against.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 am

It's hardly as if Grigg is unable to score is it. He has just broken into the team - think this was his 5th start and he has scored 1 goal already. Granted he should have scored tonight but how many chances have the other strikers missed throughout the season? You talk of the one on ones from tonight but did anyone see Macken's one against Exeter having been put clean through by Grigg? He screwed it wide when it was easier to score and that would have put the game to bed. People seem to forget pretty easily that Grigg created the 2 goals against Huddersfield and also the equaliser on Saturday against Exeter.......

Everyone is going to have an off game during the season and Grigg so far has done really well, so much so in fact that people were calling for him to start lastnight which he did. At 19 and having been restricted first team experience by Hutchings it will take him time to settle and when he does then he will score more goals than all of the previous strikers we have had in recent years. The likes of Macken, Reid, Nicholls, Byfield and Deeney have hardly set the world alight with their scoring records from what I can remember.......

Obviously DS will be looking to bring in a new striker but with our budget it is highly unlikely that we will be able to bring in anyone with a half decent scoring record unless they are past it such as Macken. It is clear we also need a new centre back, full-back and winger too. I think there is far more to be gained from playing Grigg than there is from playing Macken who will retire at the end of the season. Give him a few more games and he will be a stand out player in the team.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 am

Well I have contrasting opinions to all of you :D

Walker - Excellent and vocal, essential for a rickety back four!
Lescott - Did a job Simple.
Butler- My MOTM commanding and played simple, did get turned a few times though.
Lancashire - had a good game apart from a few slips.
Westlake - great confidence boosting game. Played well against the well touted Taylor.
Gray - Looked up for it all first half, then quickly tired after the break, looked quite tricky.
Richards - I thought he had a shocker backed out of tackles, played a few good balls but his set-piece delivery was poor.
Gill - I thought he looked quite Gritty and had a good touch.
Nicholls - Always looked threatening, but one point in the second half he had wide open space down the wing but decided to turn back to Westlake.
Grigg - looks like he could be useful, you can see what he is trying to do just needs that little bit of luck.
Macken - worked hard just seems to have no footballing relationship with any of the team.

If we were say 11th in the league I'd say that we could be challenging for the playoffs but as were not, performances like these boost confidence, but don't exactly help.

One final point, the referee was absolutely shocking! several clear cut nudges/pushes were not picked up.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 am

Not wanting to sound familiar but the delivery of balls from set pieces last night was very poor. All to often we couldn't beat the first man.

Corners and free kicks

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 am

Opinions eh!

Cracking game and we should have won equally Oldham fans wil say the same

Being bottom and looking for a win against a team looking for a play off spot you have got to be happy with a point however it makes Saturdays six pointer even more crucial.

The team ALL played well tonight, Smith has instilled some passion belief and no little skill into the same bunch of players who Numpty had destroyed. Still weak in places but it just shows what some basic tactics and management can achieve.

For me we need a big fella up front for an alternate option and a centre half, oh and another 11 like Butler who plays with the sort of commitment that gives you ten points a season before you kick a ball. To those who say he is basic....jesus we are in Div 3 watch other teams and see what there centre halves do, I aint seen any Moores or Beckenbaurs this season!

Special mention to Gray who I thought worked his socks off and gave Lescott far more cover and allowed him the confidenece to get forward

Great to see the fans applauding the lads off the pitch, you can only wish we for the level of effort last night which I think was reflected in the fans reaction

Onwards to Saturday keep believing till the Fat Bonser sings!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:21 am

Totally agree with Saddlerken, last few weeks the palyers have put a shift in but the quality just isnt there, Daz, i love you as a person but Smith is working hard with what hes got and I have seen ALL of the last 4 or 5 matches and the improvement we have made. A different manager could not get much more out of this bunch of players.

Blame? well Hutches should have gone after Tranmere.....plus senior players with experience being released so I guess you make your own mind up..... BUT to put all this down to Dean Smith at this stage is all wrong.

In fact, as Ive said before...with a Deeney in the team, and the chances we are now creating in the last 5 games we could of had 6 or 7 points more.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season