Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 25/1/11 Re Arranged

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Re: Oldham Athletic (H) League 1 Saturday 25/1/11 Re Arranged

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 am

Keeping wacka is critical hes probably the reason why we look more solid
i know its a bit early to judge gill but it was his first game at home and he didnt look up to much
forwards.we will probably get some kid on loan from the prem i know we need someone to come in and hit the ground running but i feel the top brass have no ambition so we will have to make do.
ruben reid is free why cant we get him back i beleive he is signing for oldham and they arent exactly strapped for cash

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 am

morethanuknow wrote:100% agree we need a win
god knows why we havent brought in any players though,maybe we are getting ready for league 2 who knows . bonser as no ambition whatsoever imo for walsall anymore its as if the fight as gone out of his belly but the players and manager are giving it everything

Because the loan window reopens a week after the transfer window closes, doesn't it? Next week isn't our last chance if we are talking about loans. Trouble is, we need something on Saturday

Mal
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 am

Shefki Kuqui has just left Swansa?

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Mal wrote:Shefki Kuqui has just left Swansa?

Would be a good option in my opinion.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Mal wrote:Really looking forward to Saturday it will be the start of the Great Escape, remember WBA in the Prem!

Just a couple of other comments, Deano looked to me to set out Gill in front of the back four with Richards generally in front of him but it is 100% spot on to state we are lacking in a physical presence which is why Butler stands out so much.

I think Westlake would do a great job in RM as I think he is composed and has a better defensive capability than Fox but opinions eh.

Looking at the comments from Deano we have been knocked back on a few players, it is key we keep the balance of the squad as we have started progressing so this week is key. Looks like Byfield is weeks away, so up front is weak, you could argue we need strengthening all over but too late for that.

Who is actually available as I am finding it difficult to thnk of anyone, maybe Vokes, Osbourne, who is at Everton? as the last three were ok :D Davis looks like he is coming back? plus Wackers last game is Saturday so he needs a contract till the ned of the season

Fox?? Where does he fit into the equation?
I wouldn't move Westlake unless we bring in another right back. For me, despite his apparent versatility, Lescott simply isn't good enough.

The two priorities need to be a wide man and a striker. And I worry that if we don't bring at least one of them in in time to play on Saturday, we'll suffer the same fate as we did on Tuesday night.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I wouldn't move Westlake unless we bring in another right back. For me, despite his apparent versatility, Lescott simply isn't good enough.

The two priorities need to be a wide man and a striker. And I worry that if we don't bring at least one of them in in time to play on Saturday, we'll suffer the same fate as we did on Tuesday night.

Agree with those priorities. Two wide men would be even better! I would say bringing in one might buck up Gray, but I remain unconvinced!

As for striker, those who slate Grigg after so few games are talking rubbish as usual. He's a raw young lad who shows some promise and is desperately suffering from not having had a reserve league to play in this season. Conversely, those who say he should be first on the team sheet because of the positions he gets into are also talking rubbish. Look at who plays him into those positions...usually Macken.

What we need right now is a goalscorer, pure and simple. Someone to read Macken's clever intentions and with the pace, intelligence and ability to convert those passes and clever flicks into goals.....getting someone like that is easier said than done!

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Mal wrote:Shefki Kuqui has just left Swansa?

I hate that man with a passion. he is the most irritating player I have ever seen. Hope we sign him this week!

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I know people don't like rumours but heard one that me might sign Jason Price who has recently been on loan at Bradford. Amazing scoring record at a mid-table league 2 club of 1 goal in 8 games!!! hahahaha.

He is 6'2'' and 33 years old so will have experience and presumably the ability to play as a target man (not always true - remember Dickinson??).

Not sure though if this choice fits in with DS's mantra of getting the lads to play football, sounds more like a lump it up to the big man approach (no change there then!).

Here is his wickipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Price

Not convinced he will help us much if it is true :roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 pm

I just wish Grigg could trap a bag of cement, but i think he looks a good player so far.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm

latviancheese wrote:I just wish Grigg could trap a bag of cement, but i think he looks a good player so far.

Are you being serious about his control or is this a dig about the old saying 'couldn't trap a bag of cement'?? If it is the first one then you are obviously a clueless individual with no knowledge of football. Grigg's first touch is excellent and one of the reasons he is in around the first team.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:52 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I just wish Grigg could trap a bag of cement, but i think he looks a good player so far.

Are you being serious about his control or is this a dig about the old saying 'couldn't trap a bag of cement'?? If it is the first one then you are obviously a clueless individual with no knowledge of football. Grigg's first touch is excellent and one of the reasons he is in around the first team.

In addition to this, if you don't go to the games then maybe you should start and actually watch a full game and pay attention to the all around play as opposed to just the names on the scoresheet. I fully understand that Grigg missed a few chances the other night but you cannot fault his hold up play and even his aerial ability so far in the games he has played.

He has been up against giant centre halfs and wants the ball to his feet but all he ever gets is long balls from the whole backline!! Watch his touch in the next game, virtually never loses the ball when into his feet and very often one touch straight to one of our players as oppsoed to a number of the team who seem to forget we play in red (or blue if away).

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:59 pm

fatboyslim wrote:In addition to this, if you don't go to the games then maybe you should start and actually watch a full game and pay attention to the all around play as opposed to just the names on the scoresheet. I fully understand that Grigg missed a few chances the other night but you cannot fault his hold up play and even his aerial ability so far in the games he has played.

He has been up against giant centre halfs and wants the ball to his feet but all he ever gets is long balls from the whole backline!! Watch his touch in the next game, virtually never loses the ball when into his feet and very often one touch straight to one of our players as oppsoed to a number of the team who seem to forget we play in red (or blue if away).

Hmmm, a bit over the top I think. I have no problem with the missed chances at all. The fact is he got into those positions and he had the pace to get away from the last man....that's a very good sign from a young lad.

Aerial ability? I thought he won some great flicks which he had no right to do at times.

Control? That's where I differ. Early on it was not too bad. After 50-55 minutes, it became poor. Due to tiredness I think. But I'm afraid you can't use the excuse "playing against a brute of a defender". That's what you have to do in this league.

A fair and true assessment of Grigg at this stage is "shows promise, good pace when playing on the defender's shoulder, needs more opportunities but also to be protected, needs to work harder when we're not in possession, not yet ready for regular first team action".

Oh, and of course......"needs regular and competitive reserve team football"....doh!

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:28 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:In addition to this, if you don't go to the games then maybe you should start and actually watch a full game and pay attention to the all around play as opposed to just the names on the scoresheet. I fully understand that Grigg missed a few chances the other night but you cannot fault his hold up play and even his aerial ability so far in the games he has played.

Hmmm, a bit over the top I think. I have no problem with the missed chances at all. The fact is he got into those positions and he had the pace to get away from the last man....that's a very good sign from a young lad.

Aerial ability? I thought he won some great flicks which he had no right to do at times.

Control? That's where I differ. Early on it was not too bad. After 50-55 minutes, it became poor. Due to tiredness I think. But I'm afraid you can't use the excuse "playing against a brute of a defender". That's what you have to do in this league.

A fair and true assessment of Grigg at this stage is "shows promise, good pace when playing on the defender's shoulder, needs more opportunities but also to be protected, needs to work harder when we're not in possession, not yet ready for regular first team action".

Oh, and of course......"needs regular and competitive reserve team football"....doh!

Ok fair enough but I still think a lot of the criticism of Grigg is based on Tuesday night and not over all of his performances so far this season, start and substitute appearances.

You only have to read the comments made before the game when most were calling for him to start to draw that conclusion. I also fully understand that we are in a desparate situation and need immediate results (i.e. missing a few chances on Tuesday night not helping!) but I think to slate his technical ability after 1 game of which he has only had 5 full games is purely down to a lack of footballing knowledge of which it is pretty clear a high percentage of Walsall (and most other clubs) do not have.

Results based business though as it always has and will be so will be interesting to hear the comments after Saturday. If we lose the Price and Macken will be slated. If we win then it will be the opposite reaction. Simples! :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:46 pm

I was at the game on Tuesday, for the whole 90 minutes. I had my eyes open. Thanks.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:01 pm

fatboyslim wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

Ok fair enough but I still think a lot of the criticism of Grigg is based on Tuesday night and not over all of his performances so far this season, start and substitute appearances.

You only have to read the comments made before the game when most were calling for him to start to draw that conclusion. I also fully understand that we are in a desparate situation and need immediate results (i.e. missing a few chances on Tuesday night not helping!) but I think to slate his technical ability after 1 game of which he has only had 5 full games is purely down to a lack of footballing knowledge of which it is pretty clear a high percentage of Walsall (and most other clubs) do not have.

Results based business though as it always has and will be so will be interesting to hear the comments after Saturday. If we lose the Price and Macken will be slated. If we win then it will be the opposite reaction. Simples! :mrgreen:

I was astonished at some of the comments I heard on Tuesday with respect to Grigg. Examples being "We must have someone better than Grigg in the reserves" and "Don't give it to him, he's useless".

I despair at some of our so called "supporters", I really do.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
fatboyslim wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

I was astonished at some of the comments I heard on Tuesday with respect to Grigg. Examples being "We must have someone better than Grigg in the reserves" and "Don't give it to him, he's useless".

I despair at some of our so called "supporters", I really do.

There were some who used to slag off Fryatt every game ......... before the kick off :shock: :roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Har fellas, top scorers tend to get a tatering off of our great unwashed.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season