Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Torquay United (A) F A Cup Second Round Saturday 27/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Torquay United (A) F A Cup Second Round Saturday 27/11/10.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Sadly that sounds like virtually any performance we have made in recent months. :(

Roll up sleeves blah blah blah come out fighting blah blah blah look at the DVD blah blah blah stick together blah blah blah keep performing like that blah blah blah

What is the next stage on from a complete and utter farce? Well I think we're well past even that and as others have said todays result is not even a surprise

stig231
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Rich Evans wrote:That was a truely shocking performance.

I've seen more penetration on a street corner in caldmore. Poor going forward. If not for the brilliance of Jimmy it WOULD have been worse

From the commentary it sounded like they had 3 chances , all forcing Walker into good saves - we had 3 chances , nowt even close.

Dont think we even showed any sort of threat until desparation kicked in about 85mins , and even then I dont think we got that close.

What's the old saying , you can fool some of the people all of the time? Its just a shame that the 'some' being fooled in this case are the newbies in the boardroom.

Whalley might have been some things , but at least he utlimately stood up to Uncle Jeff to finally get rid of Merson.
Gamble/Mole/Bond/Anyone who can be bothered - hurry up and grow a pair and do the same with Hutchings.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:50 pm

I've seen more penetration on a street corner in caldmore. Poor going forward. If not for the brilliance of Jimmy it WOULD have been worse

And it costs less.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:52 pm

"we just didn't have that little bit of fortune that we needed"
"we'll have to work hard thru the week and see how we go..."
"we're not making the right decisions at the right times"
"we've got to work harder and make sure that we make the most of the right decisions"

WM quite rightly pointing out that there's only one decision that really appears to need to be made correctly.....

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Oh and i missed out the "roll our sleves up" bit.

He's got to the stage where he's citing specific incidents where "this player didn't do that when he could have done this" etc.
Jones and Lescott picked out for this treatment.

WHO'S COACHING AND TRAINING THE PLAYERS AND ORGANISING HOW THE TEAM PLAYS CHRIS????????

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:57 pm

BIG respect to Clayton Mcdonald for showing his appreciation for the travelling fans. The only player to do so.

Once again thank you Clayton.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Did he seriously have the balls to mention sleeves and luck/fortune again? The guy must be an idiot, he knows people are taking the mick out of him for it.

Casual D
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:01 pm

yoda wrote:Did he seriously have the balls to mention sleeves and luck/fortune again? The guy must be an idiot, he knows people are taking the mick out of him for it.

Yep it was "....we just didn't have that little bit of fortune that we needed, you know, particularly in their area"

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 pm

No surprise whatsoever, but how could it be?

Just another chapter in the book of disasters that CH has presided over this season, and the trend will continue on and on and on unless he's fired or does the decent thing, admits he's out of his depth, and walks. But he won't walk, so it has to be a JB decision to fire him. The signs for that aren't at all good, unless you have a wish for League Two "football" next season, in which case your wish WILL be granted and, with the next four games looking highly unlikely to render any points at all, it'll be just about confirmed by Christmas, with us 15+ points from safety.

Sad times indeed, but it's made massively worse by JB and the board tolerating this idiot when it's been obvious for months that he is useless.

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:46 pm

Ah well never mind. We can concentrate on relegation now. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Yey!!! They've just read out my text about Walsall on 606.

"Ha!" to all those who say folks do nowt. That 'Mike from Walsall' knows what he's on about. The presenter agreed, with a hearty "hear, hear!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:25 pm

King Crimson wrote:Yey!!! They've just read out my text about Walsall on 606.

"Ha!" to all those who say folks do nowt. That 'Mike from Walsall' knows what he's on about. The presenter agreed, with a hearty "hear, hear!"

Worth £145 of anyone's money.

Envy of the world!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Man Utd 7 Blackburn 0

They have robbed our score!!! :shock:

Unfortunately I was in attendance entertaining a couple of clients. Obviously nothing like Walsall in any shape or form, Rooney, Berbatov, Evra and Park just brilliant players but how much more do I hate manure and the premiershite? just slightly less than Hutchings :twisted:
TV screens everywhere but nothing apart from the premiershite and manure tv all the time. Absolutely nothing about the rest of the league, non league or FA cup. Surrounded by vomit inducing arrogant fans at every turn; thank goodness I met a Hereford fan also suffering from 'Red' overload so I could talk about the real world.

Give me Walsall away at Hereford any day and stick your Manure up your Hutchings.

ps I gave the prawns a miss and had the salmon :D

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 pm

What did you say?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Cully wrote:

What did you say?

"That Blackburn fan requesting a refund from a drubbing down the road to the biggest club in the country should get over himself. Spare a thought for Walsall fans travelling back from Torquay tonight, crashing out of the cup to a team from a division below, with only the league now to concentrate on, and there they are rooted to the foot of League One, several points adrift. More Premier League arrogance."

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Hutch out wagner in!!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:03 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cully wrote:

What did you say?

"That Blackburn fan requesting a refund from a drubbing down the road to the biggest club in the country should get over himself. Spare a thought for Walsall fans travelling back from Torquay tonight, crashing out of the cup to a team from a division below, with only the league now to concentrate on, and there they are rooted to the foot of League One, several points adrift. More Premier League arrogance."

Nice one!

I phoned in on WM once. There was a Villa fan phoned in, and was complaining about the parking at the Villa. He signed off as Steve from Walsall. I phoned in and said maybe he should try supporting his home town, rather than traveling over the border, as we had ample parking at Walsall. I got cut off pretty sharpish :D
About 25 minutes later, my Dad phoned up, drunk as a lord on the way back from Swindon, and started talking as if he was talking to me, kind of "That's my boy" He got booted even quicker than me, and they had no more Walsall fans on that night.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:14 pm

From reports on WM Wacka saved us from an heavy defeat making three outstanding saves .

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:39 pm

How was Grigg?

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:46 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:

And it costs less.

But you do not get 45 minutes each way!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:59 pm

fatboyslim wrote:How was Grigg?

By far our best player. A bright spark in what was a dull game of football

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Not seen/heard what drivel Hutchings has come out with but I will say I was shocked the ref gave the penalty.
Westlake seemed to take the ball cleanly.
First half it was pretty much even but second was dire.
Did they know we were a goal down? No effort, no passion, nothing. 85 mins on the clock and we decide to chase an equaliser. Too little too late.
Good points - Hanbury's fish and chips in Babbacombe. Well woth the 370 mile round trip.
Oh one more thing, enjoyed passing the team coach on M5 on return journey, blasting the horn and giving it the finger. Immature yes, but it made me feel better.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Not seen/heard what drivel Hutchings has come out with but I will say I was shocked the ref gave the penalty.
Westlake seemed to take the ball cleanly.
First half it was pretty much even but second was dire.
Did they know we were a goal down? No effort, no passion, nothing. 85 mins on the clock and we decide to chase an equaliser. Too little too late.
Good points - Hanbury's fish and chips in Babbacombe. Well woth the 370 mile round trip.
Oh one more thing, enjoyed passing the team coach on M5 on return journey, blasting the horn and giving it the finger. Immature yes, but it made me feel better.

:mrgreen:

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 am

for what its worth watched the highlights and that was never a penalty

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:01 am

I only had to travel 3 miles and spend £12 to watch that load of tripe. My heart went out to the 200 or so brave souls who travelled down here and had to suffer that.
Nothing changes then.
Someone asked how Grigg played, to me he seemed the only one with any idea what to do with the football, felt sorry for the lad he got no service and eventually faded out of the game like the rest of them.
As for Dickensen, I've seen some No.9's playing for Walsall over the years.... eg Tony Richards, George Kirby , but I wouldn't pick Dickensen to play for Walsall Phoenix.
Torquay weren't much better than us but without Jimmy Walker, I'm afraid it would have been 4 or 5..... and it definitely wasn't a penalty. I think the referee was bored and thought the game might liven up if someone scored.
No passion, no idea and no motivation..... but wait a minute isn't that the responsability of the manager.
Exeter and Plymouth next year ..... do I really need to waste time and money ( I may become a stayaway :wink: )

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:24 am

Graydon48 wrote:Not seen/heard what drivel Hutchings has come out with but I will say I was shocked the ref gave the penalty.
Westlake seemed to take the ball cleanly.First half it was pretty much even but second was dire.

Ah, that'll be the bad luck that Hutchings was talking about then. So he WAS right for once ! :)

As for the finger incident G48, immature maybe, but exactly what we'd all have done, I'd say.

Lone Striker

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:34 am

There is a saying in business something like "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got" that is what following Walsall is like at the moment. Every week I go to the game and every week we do the same things as previous weeks and guess what.........we end up with the same result.
In business you have to do something different to get different results, our Manager persists with the same style of play, with the same people who did not deliver previously and I am afraid relegation is inevitable unless something changes.

Bright spots yesterday were three superb saves from Jimmy Walker to keep us in the game, Butler and Lancashire confirming to me that they have to be our cenre back partnership as they are the best of what we have currently got, promising performance by Grigg, particularly first half when we did at least put some passes together and Richards always wanting and trying to use the ball. After that same as, same as, central midfield weak with little creation and everything rushed and hurried, both full backs okay going forward but neither can defend correctly, not seen the penalty yet but Westlake got in a poor position when the ball came into the box and gave the Ref the option to give it, better positioning and he would have been first to the ball and no choice for Ref to make. Wide right Nicholls as ever provides one or two flashes without ever providing an end product, up front Dickenson ineffective and no threat, along with terrible final ball when we did have a couple of promising situations.

450 mile round trip for me and we go out the cup with a bit of a whimper. Am I suprised, well no because of my earlier point that we have been doing the same things with the same players for weeks now. Hopefully a couple of the injured players may be back next week to make some changes, problem is the rot has well and truly set in and I am not convinced we have the heart, bottle, skill or leadership to get us out of this mess, as ever though I hope to be proved wrong!

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:35 am

Rock bottom as a football club at the minute - Hutchings Out.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:52 am

Jorge14 wrote:Rock bottom as a football club at the minute - Hutchings Out.

I'd like to say the only way is up from here, but sadly it really isn't. :cry:

UTS Legend

Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 am

A penalty?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3H64uqW3To[/youtube]

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season