Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/11/10

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/11/10

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm

I did not expect anything from tonight. The performance sounded OK, even though the score suggests otherwise.

The worry is that we have several upcoming games against teams of similar calibre to Sheff. Wednesday and by Christmas we could be 10-12 points adrift :(

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm

He'll say exactly the same garbage as after the Peterborough game.

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Torquay scored 3 away from home tonight - they're looking forward to the third round - are we?????

I live down here and I will probably be there on Saturday but i certainly aint looking forward to it..... my only saving grace is that there are more ManU supporters down here than Torquay supporters, so locally the result will go unnoticed :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Apparently Mick Kearns thinks that it was a disastrous result but not a disastrous performance. That's ok then Mick, with performances like that we'll soon be moving in the right direction :roll:

Hutchings out as usual etc etc..................

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 pm

If we lose to Torquay on Sat, i'm going to kill myself.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:55 pm

You Reds wrote:If we lose to Torquay on Sat, i'm going to kill myself.

Thats the last thing you should do. :)

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Cully wrote:Apparently Mick Kearns thinks that it was a disastrous result but not a disastrous performance. That's ok then Mick, with performances like that we'll soon be moving in the right direction :roll:

:?:
It didnt sound a bad performance to be fair. He's being honest. It is possible to have a good performance and a bad result you know? Obviously he hasnt said good performances obviously mean we'll stay up..

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Gutted...sounds like we could have got something from tonight.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 pm

We are now 7 points from safety

HUCHINGS OUT

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 pm

start choosing your preferred method if Hutchins is still in charge .....

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:02 pm

I don't give a chuff about good performances. We need a manager that can get us results. And that bloke is not Hutchings.

We're well into the Merson area again where we manage to win just enough to let the farce continue.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Torquay scored 3 away from home tonight - they're looking forward to the third round - are we?????

I live down here and I will probably be there on Saturday but i certainly aint looking forward to it..... my only saving grace is that there are more ManU supporters down here than Torquay supporters, so locally the result will go unnoticed :wink:

Must make it feel like home from home then :evil:

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:

start choosing your preferred method if Hutchins is still in charge .....

Toothbrush? ;)

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Bad luck tends to follow bad teams around.

They're not good enough, he's not good enough, DOGFACE OUT

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 pm

7 points doesnt sound bad if you say 2 wins and a draw.i feel if we can keep what bit of confidence we have because tonight didnt sound anywhere near as bad as some performances
we can get out of this with the right attitude and i do feel the players do sound like they have the right attitude at the moment

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:07 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Torbaysaddler wrote:

I live down here and I will probably be there on Saturday but i certainly aint looking forward to it..... my only saving grace is that there are more ManU supporters down here than Torquay supporters, so locally the result will go unnoticed :wink:[/quo

are you suggesting i support Man U :evil:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Torbaysaddler wrote:

I live down here and I will probably be there on Saturday but i certainly aint looking forward to it..... my only saving grace is that there are more ManU supporters down here than Torquay supporters, so locally the result will go unnoticed :wink:[/quo

are you suggesting i support Man U :evil:

mmm..not sure how you came to that conclusion. I was suggesting that Torquay must be similar to Walsall where most of the population support anyone other than there local team.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:10 pm

this off someone who was there

I can't fault the lads, my only criticism is that we were lacking in the final third. We passed it around relatively well, but tried to do to much. The effort was there and we weren't three goals worse than Wednesday; decent value for a point I feel. Against lesser teams, we'll be fine if tonight's much to go by. Butler was pushed in the box, a penalty for me. Grigg played well when he came on. Generally pleased with the performance, encouraging stuff. We've got to start getting results though, effectively 8 points adrift FFS.

worzel999
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:14 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Cully wrote:Apparently Mick Kearns thinks that it was a disastrous result but not a disastrous performance. That's ok then Mick, with performances like that we'll soon be moving in the right direction :roll:

It didnt sound a bad performance to be fair. He's being honest. It is possible to have a good performance and a bad result you know? Obviously he hasnt said good performances obviously mean we'll stay up..

Don't forget Mick is employed by the club, so he has to be realistic in his comments, he can't come out and say "I think Hutch should have been sacked weeks ago", as he has to be on the training ground tomorrow with the keepers.

I think what he has said is fair, we've done ok tonight in some of our play but we've still took a 3-0 beating, and that isn't good.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Sounds like we lost it in the 7th minute as Richards let in a fairly soft goal by his standards. It was rectified to some extent by Taundry making some good saves. The 2nd and 3rd goals probably came from Richards pushing up too far and Richards missing some chances that Taundry would have put away. Taundry pushed over in the box, something the referee (Richards) failed to give. A point dropped it seems. Decent performance from the team. Taundry in particular played well. Unlike Richards.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:23 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:

Who cares what it sounds like? It doesn't make a shred of difference to the result, it's just an excuse to cover the disastrous 'management skills' of Hutchings and O'Connor. We lost heavily by 3 goals to nil and that's that.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:36 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Sounds like we lost it in the 7th minute as Richards let in a fairly soft goal by his standards. It was rectified to some extent by Taundry making some good saves. The 2nd and 3rd goals probably came from Richards pushing up too far and Richards missing some chances that Taundry would have put away. Taundry pushed over in the box, something the referee (Richards) failed to give. A point dropped it seems. Decent performance from the team. Taundry in particular played well. Unlike Richards.

What we need is someone who can get stuck in and I mean really stuck in the middle. If only we had a tip top football expert, preferably someone who plays competitive football on a Sunday for a top pub team who could identify the weaknesses, ie scoring goals, passing the ball, trying to cover for dopey midfielders who are busy getting stuck in then we'd be okay. I'll tell you what Saigon, there was someone on here the other day three and a half years ago who predicted that Mark Wright would be playing non league football for ever and he was right because tonight Mark Wright scored a rubbish hat trick for non league Shrewsbury to become the leading goal scorer in the non league division.

His name escapes me :?:

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 pm

morethanuknow wrote:7 points doesnt sound bad if you say 2 wins and a draw.i feel if we can keep what bit of confidence we have because tonight didnt sound anywhere near as bad as some performances
we can get out of this with the right attitude and i do feel the players do sound like they have the right attitude at the moment

Unfortunately with our goal difference it is actually 3 wins just to get out of the drop zone.... we've managed how many so far? Of course that assumes no-one else gets any points at all :roll:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Cully wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:

Who cares what it sounds like? It doesn't make a shred of difference to the result, it's just an excuse to cover the disastrous 'management skills' of Hutchings and O'Connor. We lost heavily by 3 goals to nil and that's that.

What's he supposed to do then if it wasnt a bad performance? Lie and say it was just because of the scoreline? :roll:

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:09 pm

but surely we wont face that kind of atack every week.your take on the game sounds depressing

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Cully wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Sounds like we lost it in the 7th minute as Richards let in a fairly soft goal by his standards. It was rectified to some extent by Taundry making some good saves. The 2nd and 3rd goals probably came from Richards pushing up too far and Richards missing some chances that Taundry would have put away. Taundry pushed over in the box, something the referee (Richards) failed to give. A point dropped it seems. Decent performance from the team. Taundry in particular played well. Unlike Richards.

What we need is someone who can get stuck in and I mean really stuck in the middle. If only we had a tip top football expert, preferably someone who plays competitive football on a Sunday for a top pub team who could identify the weaknesses, ie scoring goals, passing the ball, trying to cover for dopey midfielders who are busy getting stuck in then we'd be okay. I'll tell you what Saigon, there was someone on here the other day three and a half years ago who predicted that Mark Wright would be playing non league football for ever and he was right because tonight Mark Wright scored a rubbish hat trick for non league Shrewsbury to become the leading goal scorer in the non league division.

His name escapes me :?:

Give me a P
Give me a H
Give me a I
Give me a L

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 pm

We did not look like a bottom of the table side . The scoreline flattered Wednesday who I was not particularly impressed by. My first game seeing Jimmy Walker since his return & sadly a really soft goal to give away. If we had someone who could finish then we would have got back deservedly to 1-1. I thought we were the stronger side until they scored their second against the run of play. I have never seen a more obvious push than the 'penalty that wasn't'. After that there was an inevitability about us conceding again.
First time I've seen Grigg & I think he deserves to be given a start after making a good impression after coming on.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 am

:lol:
Post of the season goes to...

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:59 am

As others have said we actually played pretty well for about 70 minutes. There first goal was really soft, Wacka should have had it comfortably. We got back into it and played some neat stuff but despite having a few chances we created far too little danger for the amount of possession we had. Defence played ok and couldn't really be blamed for the first 2 goals (except Wacka for the first). Neat passing moves with no end product, apart from either eventually giving the ball away or hoofing it upfield.

Their second goal was totally against the run of play and that was curtains, the third followed not long after. Nicholls was absolutely useless tonight, had loads of the ball in decent positions but managed to do absolutely nothing useful with it every time. If we had had an inform Jones or Devaney on the pitch it might have been different. Dickinson has got the close control of a JCB. There were a couple of Barnsley fans in our end and they said they would pay us to have Dickinson off them! Says it all really. Grigg looked lively when he came on and could have got a goal with a decent long range shot. Not sure if it was me but every fifty fifty ball or loose ball seemed to end up with them having possession.

One of our better performance this season in patches and the scoreline certainly flattered Wendy, but they took their chances. Even though we were unlucky in a way tonight, how many times can you blame bad luck?

We need a change of direction and leadership or we're doomed. Losing has become a habit. Hutchings out

ferriwfc

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:03 am

Poor performance, they were poor too. We are never first to the ball, all our players have bad first touches. We dont win the ball, were not strong, passing is terrible. We never pass to feet, and we never move to recieve the ball. Most players, mainly lescott are constantly caught out of position. There seems to be a total lack of comunication between certain players. We should have had a pen for sure. Grigg was the only positive to take from this game, and should be getting alot more game time from now on. Hutching has to go we need to be organised alot better, I think were off the pace, maybe not even fit enough. if anyone tells you this performance was ok they dont know about football it was awful, hard to watch almost sunday-like. Jimmy also made two-three other good saves. I would be ashamed to say I play for Walsall FC at the moment, we are not a football team. Theres alot more to say, but im to tired to go in to it now. oh and saturdays performance was nothing special either, we only won cause we had two free kicks, we didnt create another chance until Grigg came on. We are AWFUL.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season