Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/11/10

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
PT
Site Addict

Re: Sheffield Wednesday (A) League 1 Tuesday 23/11/10

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:46 am

ferriwfc wrote:Poor performance, they were poor too. We are never first to the ball, all our players have bad first touches. We dont win the ball, were not strong, passing is terrible. We never pass to feet, and we never move to recieve the ball. Most players, mainly lescott are constantly caught out of position. There seems to be a total lack of comunication between certain players. We should have had a pen for sure. Grigg was the only positive to take from this game, and should be getting alot more game time from now on. Hutching has to go we need to be organised alot better, I think were off the pace, maybe not even fit enough. if anyone tells you this performance was ok they dont know about football it was awful, hard to watch almost sunday-like. Jimmy also made two-three other good saves. I would be ashamed to say I play for Walsall FC at the moment, we are not a football team. Theres alot more to say, but im to tired to go in to it now. oh and saturdays performance was nothing special either, we only won cause we had two free kicks, we didnt create another chance until Grigg came on. We are AWFUL.

Disagree with that. As others have said, poor result but decent performance, so I guess that puts me in the "don't know about football" catagory.

Weaver made a couple of decent saves and Reid had a couple of decent chances on top of those as well as the nailed-on pen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have taken an awful display resulting in a 1-0 win but when we get relegated it won't be last night that cost us. What will have cost us is the no-shows against the dreggs of the division (Yeovil, Tranmere, D&R, Hartlepool etc) and the board sitting on their collective hands while we were doing that.

Grigg has to be given a run of games now and if not being able to get into that team doesn't seriously hurt Jones and Grey they should do the honourable thing and retire.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:54 am

PT wrote:
ferriwfc wrote:Poor performance, they were poor too. We are never first to the ball, all our players have bad first touches. We dont win the ball, were not strong, passing is terrible. We never pass to feet, and we never move to recieve the ball. Most players, mainly lescott are constantly caught out of position. There seems to be a total lack of comunication between certain players. We should have had a pen for sure. Grigg was the only positive to take from this game, and should be getting alot more game time from now on. Hutching has to go we need to be organised alot better, I think were off the pace, maybe not even fit enough. if anyone tells you this performance was ok they dont know about football it was awful, hard to watch almost sunday-like. Jimmy also made two-three other good saves. I would be ashamed to say I play for Walsall FC at the moment, we are not a football team. Theres alot more to say, but im to tired to go in to it now. oh and saturdays performance was nothing special either, we only won cause we had two free kicks, we didnt create another chance until Grigg came on. We are AWFUL.

Disagree with that. As others have said, poor result but decent performance, so I guess that puts me in the "don't know about football" catagory.

Weaver made a couple of decent saves and Reid had a couple of decent chances on top of those as well as the nailed-on pen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have taken an awful display resulting in a 1-0 win but when we get relegated it won't be last night that cost us. What will have cost us is the no-shows against the dreggs of the division (Yeovil, Tranmere, D&R, Hartlepool etc) and the board sitting on their collective hands while we were doing that.Grigg has to be given a run of games now and if not being able to get into that team doesn't seriously hurt Jones and Grey they should do the honourable thing and retire.

Very true those terrible performances have cost us big style, Hutchings should have gone then too late now!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:09 am

Pouldn't really have expected anything from a trip to Hillsborough, and
Onfortunately we didn't even come away with many positives! Thing is, we seem to be having a hell of a
Sot of bad luck this season? Funny that aint it Hutchings? What an idiot, he should know
Tuck has nothing to do with it! You make your own luck in this world, and getting beaten 3-0
Mesterday should hopefully be the final nail in Hutchings (proverbial) coffin.
O
Dthink the fact we once again conceded 3 goals means Bonser really needs to act now before the rot really
Eets in and causes more long term damage.

Rnyway, Bonser is our saviour!

Aant see us staying up now, it really is an uphill struggle to come from 7 points adrift and
Tnfortunately it is going to take a manager of a much high calibre to stop this apparently
Eever ending spiral to League 2! The time really has come for Hutchings to go, we are approaching
Dhe point of no return, we could be more or less relegated by Christmas at this rate!

[post moderated - we see what you did there. You're banned]

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:30 am

I'd agree with most of what has been said about individual performances, but the fact of the matter is we were beaten 3 - 0 by a team that never needed to get out of second gear.

Two things struck me last night were the lack of confidence in the team and the lack of leaders on the pitch. The two are probably connected. An Ada or a Rambo in the team would make a huge difference, in fact I think it will be the difference between relegation and safety.

In response to Saigons tongue in cheek post, Taundry and Richards battled well and gave 100%, but with no end product. I think belgian was harsh on Nicholls who always made himself available to receive the ball despite not being able to deliver, but then I'd never pick him as a winger anyway.

Other random thoughts -

Grigg did really well when he came on, I would start him on Saturday. Walker was at fault for the first and he knew it, was it just me or was he appologising to us at half time? I don't think I have ever seen a more clear cut penalty than the one we were denied at 2-0 down. Reid really should have squared the ball when he was clean through just before he went off and finally I felt very tired first thing this morning whilst scraping the ice off my car.
Last edited by aaaae on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:54 am

tinned wrote:I don't give a chuff about good performances. We need a manager that can get us results. And that bloke is not Hutchings.

We're well into the Merson area again where we manage to win just enough to let the farce continue.

Agreed we need a Richard Money like manager , stuff performances just get results .

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 am

One stat sums up a shocking, drab and clueless performance.
9 matches this season and 18 matches last season (although in a higher division) was the last time Sheffieldf Wednsday scored more than 2 at home in a league match.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Better performance, wrong result. Reid missed 2 chances, Richards one in the second half and Butler had a stone wall penalty turned down late on. Still not good enough and there was a point to be taken from that game at least, wednesday we're average. Richards, Butler, Grigg, Taundry and Reid we're the better of the bunch. Lescott, Dickinson and Marshall we're dreadul and sadly Wacka didn't have his best game. Nicholls was frstrating, got the ball to his feet well just didn't quite deliver, although he put a nice ball in for Dickinson who headed wide in the first half. We've played much, much worse this season and lost 3-0.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm

PJD wrote:I'd agree with most of what has been said about individual performances, but the fact of the matter is we were beaten 3 - 0 by a team that never needed to get out of second gear.

Two things struck me last night were the lack of confidence in the team and the lack of leaders on the pitch. The two are probably connected. An Ada or a Rambo in the team would make a huge difference, in fact I think it will be the difference between relegation and safety.

In response to Saigons tongue in cheek post, Taundry and Richards battled well and gave 100%, but with no end product. I think belgian was harsh on Nicholls who always made himself available to receive the ball despite not being able to deliver, but then I'd never pick him as a winger anyway.

Other random thoughts -

Grigg did really well when he came on, I would start him on Saturday. Walker was at fault for the first and he knew it, was it just me or was he appologising to us at half time? I don't think I have ever seen a more clear cut penalty than the one we were denied at 2-0 down. Reid really should have squared the ball when he was clean through just before he went off and finally I felt very tired first thing this morning whilst scraping the ice off my car.

I take your point PJD and admittedly he did make himself available. But ultimately what is the point if you can't deliver and he failed to deliver numerous times last night. I have lost patience with him, he's long past the stage of being a promising youngster. He has also had numerous chances to establish himself, admittedly many of them out on the wing, but he has also had opportunities upfront and not set the world alight. Only thing I would say in his defence is that most of the squad seem to have gone backwards under the current management and coaching regime so he is not alone. We desperately need Jones and Devaney fit and firing on all cylinders again.

The phrase 'not being able to deliver' sums us up at the moment. No amount of pretty passing can hide the fact that we are woefully short in terms of creativity and a cutting edge. I see Hutchings is whining in the papers today that 'if we carry on performing the way we are doing then it's only a matter of time before things turn for us'. If we carry on performing the way we are doing then we will create one chance between now and January and about three more between now and the end of the season. The man is deluded. If we are all sick to death of the same old tosh from the manager imagine how the players must feel. For God's sake just get someone new in so the players can hear something different and you never know they might even respond.

We should not have lost 3-0 last night for the amount of decent possession we had. I think that is partly down to confidence, or lack of it, and partly down to personnel. Our biggest on field problem however is that we now have a losing mentality to match that of the manager. We will be virtually down by Christmas unless he goes now. :(

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:16 pm

totaly disagree last night did not sound like we had a losers attitude in fact for one of the first times in a long time on saddlers player it was very upbeat and to be honest apart
from there 3 goals which obviously is the ultimate goal it sounded like it was mostly walsall with there tails up despite giving 3 goals away and they never gave up which at this moment in time is what we need to get out of this.at least we are fighting.
the first goal was the killer and that was a keepers error nothing more can be said of that
if we show the same determination as weve shown against carlisle and sheff wed then we have a chance i hope

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:23 pm

I think there is a difference between a losing mentality and a "losers attitude" . By the way I like the phrase "apart from their 3 goals" :D

As I have said above we did play well in patches last night and even after the second goal still had a bit of a go. The degree to which the players actually believed they could get back into it is another question. By losing mentality I mean that losing has become a habit and has become the norm. A habit like that is very hard to break, especially with a manager that has proven to be a loser wherever he has managed and is like a broken record churning out the same old tosh week in week out, defeat after defeat.
Last edited by belgiansaddler on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 pm

I was disappointed with the way we played in the first half. We lacked an edge about us."

He added: "I couldn't put my finger on it. I thought the early goal would spark us into life but it didn't. I wasn't happy at half-time and felt we needed to do a lot better. We were lacking a spark.

"We were in danger of losing the game when we shouldn't have been, but it was better in the second half."

this is from there manager

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:28 pm

i can understand the losers mentality thing but we kept on at it to the final whistle which for me means at least the players havent given up yet
one more thing i noticed is we went 442 last night away from home against one of the best set of strikers in the league not sure if it was wise but it was positive i know it didnt pay off
but at least we didnt try to park the bus.and we did lose macken and reid .it will be interesting to see grigg nichols and devaney starting together

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:43 pm

I think the difference between the two sides confidence was illustrated by their first goal. If a Walsall player was in that position, 25 yards out with a load of bodies in front of him, there is no way he would have had a dig, it would just have been passed out wide and a hopeless cross would have been cleared by their first defender.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:48 pm

PJD wrote:I think the difference between the two sides confidence was illustrated by their first goal. If a Walsall player was in that position, 25 yards out with a load of bodies in front of him, there is no way he would have had a dig, it would just have been passed out wide and a hopeless cross would have been cleared by their first defender.

Probably by Nicholls :D

I agree with what you say though

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:51 pm

to be honest this was spoken about last night during the coverage but to be honest if nichols could deliver a good cross then maybe we wouldnt be talking about this. aparently he had a lot of the ball and didnt deliver much quality.the problem is he isnt a winger so you cant blame him . there first goal was a mistake by walker

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 pm

ALAN Irvine has told how he gave his Wednesday team a rocket at half-time to fire them to a fifth successive win at Hillsborough last night.
The Owls manager was unhappy with the team's first-half show against Walsall though they led with an early goal from Darren Potter.

He felt they were in danger of losing to League One's bottom side. But they showed a second-half improvement and sealed a deserved 3-0 victory with goals by Mark Beevers and Clinton Morrison.

Irvine declined to reveal exactly what he said to the players at the break but it is understood that he had strong words: "At half-time I said it wasn't good enough. I wasn't happy.

"I felt we needed to do an awful lot better. I didn't feel players were working at the same kind of tempo that they have been at in recent games.

"If you lose that edge, you are in danger of losing the game.

"I thought we were in danger of losing this game when we shouldn't have been."

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:11 pm

morethanuknow wrote:to be honest this was spoken about last night during the coverage but to be honest if nichols could deliver a good cross then maybe we wouldnt be talking about this. aparently he had a lot of the ball and didnt deliver much quality.the problem is he isnt a winger so you cant blame him . there first goal was a mistake by walker

We know that Nicholls is not a winger - we have seen him play in that position for the Walsall first team over 100 times, and he has never looked like a winger in all that time. We also know that he is not good enough as a striker to lead the line in a league one team. If he were why have we had to sign Macken, Reid and Dickenson when Nicholls has been available all season?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Wrap it up whatever way you like, we got stuffed 3-0. Another step closer to basement football. Even if he went now , and we got someone who has some idea what they are doing in, we would still struggle to get out of this mess. As it is, it will all be over by about February.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:26 pm

morethanuknow wrote:ALAN Irvine has told how he gave his Wednesday team a rocket at half-time to fire them to a fifth successive win at Hillsborough last night.
The Owls manager was unhappy with the team's first-half show against Walsall though they led with an early goal from Darren Potter.

He felt they were in danger of losing to League One's bottom side. But they showed a second-half improvement and sealed a deserved 3-0 victory with goals by Mark Beevers and Clinton Morrison.

Irvine declined to reveal exactly what he said to the players at the break but it is understood that he had strong words: "At half-time I said it wasn't good enough. I wasn't happy.

"I felt we needed to do an awful lot better. I didn't feel players were working at the same kind of tempo that they have been at in recent games.

"If you lose that edge, you are in danger of losing the game.

"I thought we were in danger of losing this game when we shouldn't have been."

I thought Wednesday looked much more dangerous in the first half to be honest - Teale particularly had Westlake in his pocket, fortunately he couldn't make anything of it.

If Irvine gave them a rocket at half time it didn't have any effect as far as I could see.

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:28 pm

BTW when Jermain Johnson came on for Wednesday in the second half, did it rememind anyone else of a cameo by Ishy?

And why was he wearing white socks when the rest of the Wedneday team had blue socks on? Surely that's a sending off offence? :)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Didn't expect anything from last night & low & behold, we got nothing. Now, had we been stuffed 3-0 by Dagenham, Bristol Rovers or Orient for example, I think there'd be much more cause for concern.

Yes, at the end of the day we got nothing so the fact that we played well in parts doesn't matter.
That said, we need to win our next league game for sure as the run we've got over the next few weeks looks tough to say the least.

If we maintain last Saturday's level of performance for the rest of the season, I think we'll scrape survivak. Even if we get beat by the likes of Wednesday.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm

I agree, we will not be relegated on last nigts performance / result. Our future will be decided on how we get on against the dross around us. Unfortunately we have already lost, or at the most drawn, to most of them so that doesn't make me feel much better. Anyone remember where I put my straws? :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:36 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Didn't expect anything from last night & low & behold, we got nothing. Now, had we been stuffed 3-0 by Dagenham, Bristol Rovers or Orient for example, I think there'd be much more cause for concern.

Yes, at the end of the day we got nothing so the fact that we played well in parts doesn't matter.
That said, we need to win our next league game for sure as the run we've got over the next few weeks looks tough to say the least.

If we maintain last Saturday's level of performance for the rest of the season, I think we'll scrape survivak. Even if we get beat by the likes of Wednesday.

Tranmere at home ?

If we are going in to games expecting to get nothing, then we may as well not bother turning up. The fact of the matter is, we will go down with Hutchings in charge, no question about it whatsoever. There is more than a chance we will anyway how far behind we are already, but at least if there is action took now, we would have half a chance of pulling off a miracle. As it is, we are going down, and going down as the bottom side. Your a sensible man, you must see that is what is going to happen ?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:20 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Didn't expect anything from last night & low & behold, we got nothing. Now, had we been stuffed 3-0 by Dagenham, Bristol Rovers or Orient for example, I think there'd be much more cause for concern.

This is just the same sort of complacent attitude to our situation that has been demonstrated by JB and the board for months now, and the longer it goes on, the more irrecoverable our situation is getting, week by week.

Having failed to take even a half-reasonable haul of points from that long Sept/Oct run of games against our main rivals in the lower reaches, it was obvious we had a really tough programme of games against top-end teams, and we'd need a massive improvement if we were to get anything from those games and start to climb off the bottom and out of trouble. But, thanks to the club's complacency, inaction and complete failure to recognise the signs, most of those games have gone according to form - all but Carlisle in fact - and we are now even deeper in trouble. In fact not only are we "in trouble", but we are looking more and more like dead-certs for League Two.

There is NO place for optimism now, NO place whatsoever for expectation that we can get out of this. If you don't agree, tell us how you can justify that way of thinking.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:22 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

This is just the same sort of complacent attitude to our situation that has been demonstrated by JB and the board for months now, and the longer it goes on, the more irrecoverable our situation is getting, week by week.

Having failed to take even a half-reasonable haul of points from that long Sept/Oct run of games against our main rivals in the lower reaches, it was obvious we had a really tough programme of games against top-end teams, and we'd need a massive improvement if we were to get anything from those games and start to climb off the bottom and out of trouble. But, thanks to the club's complacency, inaction and complete failure to recognise the signs, most of those games have gone according to form - all but Carlisle in fact - and we are now even deeper in trouble. In fact not only are we "in trouble", but we are looking more and more like dead-certs for League Two.

There is NO place for optimism now, NO place whatsoever for expectation that we can get out of this. If you don't agree, tell us how you can justify that way of thinking.

Positive Mental Attitude.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

No, burying head in sand is all that can describe it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:30 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

No, burying head in sand is all that can describe it.

For somebody who abandoned the club, you can't really have much weight in anyone elses attitude.

This was said firmly tongue in cheek, but hey, I'm a football supporter, so I still have that black humour that football supporters have.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:43 pm

You must agree though Gaz, Hutchings has to go, and it is ridiculous in a faulty towers kind of way, that he wasn't sacked at least 6 weeks ago.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:You must agree though Gaz, Hutchings has to go, and it is ridiculous in a faulty towers kind of way, that he wasn't sacked at least 6 weeks ago.

There's no question about him going, I've wanted him gone for weeks mate. I just haven't gone on about it (there's more than enough Huch out stuff to read)

Same with my Merson quote. I've only labelled him worse than Merson in the last few weeks because it's now obvious he could beat a disabled kid up in the centre circle and still not get sacked.

Don't confuse what I'm saying with wanting him to stay, or some late epiphany about him being sacked, I've just chosen not to get too involved because there's enough out there already.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:You must agree though Gaz, Hutchings has to go, and it is ridiculous in a faulty towers kind of way, that he wasn't sacked at least 6 weeks ago.

There's no question about him going, I've wanted him gone for weeks mate. I just haven't gone on about it (there's more than enough Huch out stuff to read)

Same with my Merson quote. I've only labelled him worse than Merson in the last few weeks because it's now obvious he could beat a disabled kid up in the centre circle and still not get sacked.

Don't confuse what I'm saying with wanting him to stay, or some late epiphany about him being sacked, I've just chosen not to get too involved because there's enough out there already.

FBIGOSOC
:D

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season