Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Tipton Town - 17/11/10

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Tipton Town - 17/11/10

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:56 pm

Birmingham Senior Cup (Round 1)

Tipton Town 2 1 Walsall Reserves

Walsall (4-4-2)
David Bevan

Ben George
Alex Hickman
Jon Haynes
Malvind Singh Benning

Steve Jones (Jake Jones, 73 min.)
Sean Geddes (capt.)
Aaron Forde
Jamie Patterson

George Bowerman
Connor Deards (Joey Butlin, 65 min.)

Unused Substitutes
Jack Creswell
William Mellors-Blair
James Wren (gk)

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

Goal log
19 min. - 1-0 - a wind-assisted shot from left-back, Ross Brown, sailed over Bevan's outstretched fingers - Tipton's only on-target shot of the first half.
52 min. - 2-0 - a ludicrous penalty decision by a referee who otherwise had a good game. He adjudged Hickman to have fouled Ricky Baker. Danny Campbell converted the spot-kick.
90+1 min. - 2-1 - too late, Walsall finally made the breakthrough when Butlin bundled the ball home.

Comments
On a bitterly cold, wet night, the strong end-to-end wind was a major factor. The Saddlers fielded a young side with 7 apprentices, 4 first-year pros and 2 senior pros making up the 13 players used. Despite this, Walsall were the stronger side in both halves of the game. Neither side really troubled their opposing goalkeepers who had little to do. Most disturbing from the Walsall point of view was, until the last few minutes, the failure to turn possession into goalscoring chances. The quality of the final ball into the Tipton penalty-area, whether from midfield or from the flanks, was truly dreadful. This was a match that, in terms of possession, we should have won but, in truth, we rarely looked like doing so. More work at the training ground is needed, methinks. On a bright note, Steve Jones looked fit and shone in flashes.

tinned
Site Addict

Re: Reserves v. Tipton Town - 17/11/10

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Birmingham Senior Cup (Round 1)

Tipton Town 2 1 Walsall Reserves

Walsall (4-4-2)
David Bevan

Ben George
Alex Hickman
Jon Haynes
Malvind Singh Benning

Steve Jones (Jake Jones, 73 min.)
Sean Geddes (capt.)
Aaron Forde
Jamie Patterson

George Bowerman
Connor Deards (Joey Butlin, 65 min.)

Unused Substitutes
Jack Creswell
William Mellors-Blair
James Wren (gk)

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

Goal log
19 min. - 1-0 - a wind-assisted shot from left-back, Ross Brown, sailed over Bevan's outstretched fingers - Tipton's only on-target shot of the first half.
52 min. - 2-0 - a ludicrous penalty decision by a referee who otherwise had a good game. He adjudged Hickman to have fouled Ricky Baker. Danny Campbell converted the spot-kick.
90+1 min. - 2-1 - too late, Walsall finally made the breakthrough when Butlin bundled the ball home.

Comments
On a bitterly cold, wet night, the strong end-to-end wind was a major factor. The Saddlers fielded a young side with 7 apprentices, 4 first-year pros and 2 senior pros making up the 13 players used. Despite this, Walsall were the stronger side in both halves of the game. Neither side really troubled their opposing goalkeepers who had little to do. Most disturbing from the Walsall point of view was, until the last few minutes, the failure to turn possession into goalscoring chances. The quality of the final ball into the Tipton penalty-area, whether from midfield or from the flanks, was truly dreadful. This was a match that, in terms of possession, we should have won but, in truth, we rarely looked like doing so. More work at the training ground is needed, methinks. On a bright note, Steve Jones looked fit and shone in flashes.

Mistake alert! :shock:

I wouldn't think Jon Haynes was playing last night. After having ligament reconstruction surgery a bout 3 weeks back Jon is still on crutches and will be out for up to 12 months. (Unless he hobbles past my window each morning for sympathy). :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Reserves v. Tipton Town - 17/11/10

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 pm

tinned wrote:Mistake alert! :shock:

I wouldn't think Jon Haynes was playing last night. After having ligament reconstruction surgery a bout 3 weeks back Jon is still on crutches and will be out for up to 12 months. (Unless he hobbles past my window each morning for sympathy). :wink:

Sorry about that - I was merely going on information given to me (by a Tipton official). Further investigation reveals that it should read "Tom Hayes". The problem at Tipton is that the pitch is so far away from the stand (bloody athletics track!) that you need binoculars to see the players.

Return to 2010-11 Season