Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
yoda
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/11/10.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:59 pm

yoda wrote:They're gonna get smoked!

:mrgreen:

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:59 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:How anyone can see us winning this is beyond belief.
We are bottom, and playinga team 4th from top. We struggled to beat a team from the conference!
We have zero chance of winning, anyone thinking otherwise needs to come back to reality.
Walsall 0 Carlise 3.

:mrgreen:

Brum 1-0 Chelsea too. :mrgreen:

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:03 pm

to be fair to richards since hes gone left wing and gray as been dropped we sound more solid and maybe that position as been leting us down big time plus richards scored 2 today

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Still bottom. 5 points off safety.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:17 pm

glass half full 6 points off 17th and finaly weve found a team what sounds like it can defend carlisles 5 game unbeaten run came to an end today to the mighty walsall and it sounded like we 100% deserved it and came from behind

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Great win by the lads today, 1st half we we're a bit shakey but nothing really happened for either side, apart from the goals obviously. 2nd half we were superb, much better then the past few weeks, we kept it on the deck and created loads of chances, which lead to a FK which Richards rocketed home again.

If we do anything decent vs Sheff Wed, we might have turned a corner, still HUTCHINGS OUT.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Just got back..... and the relief was there for all to see when the final whistle went!

We played well but there is still room for improvement! They battered us and just kept knocking on the door in the last 10 minutes (God knows where 4 minutes injury time came from!)

Richards took the goals really really well, especially happy for the second as it was a brilliant training ground move (we actually do something there!) as you'll see on the highlights!! Special mention to Westlake who played well and held his position well. Ruben Reid had his marker in his pocket all through the second half, he just couldn't cope with Reid's runs!!

Huthcings out chants were quite loud before hand which went while we was winning (to my dissapointment because it just looks like we're calling for his head when we're losing!)

But at the end of the day, it's a vital 3 points which will be even more welcome if we capitalise on this and pull out the same (but a bit more improved) performance on Tuesday!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:2-1 home win. The recovery starts now.

Me and one other made this prediction - but I have two witnesses to confirm that I said the recovery of the season begins now! (As the mighty Richards lined up his first free kick) :D

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:40 pm

at least its a starting point for our season

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:40 pm

Where did that come from a surprising and much welcomed result well done lads .

Phil will be delighted with another MOTM performance by super Matt :D

HUTCHINGS OUT

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Great win, superb performance by the absolutely useless Richard Taundry, and a decent game from Paul Marshall, who according to saddlerken is the worst player to wear a Walsall shirt.

Westlake and Butler had good solid games too.

Nicholls and Lancashire both deserve credit for digging deep and playing well.

Richards, despite his two excellent free kicks did absolutely nothing - he was the main reason why they scored, as the replays will show. He let his man stroll past him, his man then was left free to shoot, which was saved well, but ricocheted and the 2nd shot went in.

IMO Richard Taundry deserve MOM today, he was excellent, really got stuck in, whereas I think Richards only touched the ball 4 times in the 2nd half, and was quite frankly awful in the first, so to give him MOM is quite ridiculous. You cannot justify having a player in the side on the strength of scoring 3 or 4 freekicks per season, especially when he's responsible for conceding more goals than he scores. It also shows how weak a player Richards is that we now haven't lost a game when Richards has either been assisted by a 3rd central midfielder, or been pushed out to the left.

Reid disappointed me a bit, after scoring two the other night, you'd think he'd be buzzing and would be shooting at every oppurtunity, but he looked like he didnt want to shoot today, he really should have had a goal.

Carlisle looked a poor side for their league position.

Still a lot of work to save this season, and this win has probably bought Hutchings another 5 games.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Duke wrote:Where did that come from a surprising and much welcomed result well done lads .

Phil will be delighted with another MOTM performance by super Matt :D

HUTCHINGS OUT

Yep, Phil will be thrilled. He loves 2 goal hero, game winner and man of the match Richards. :D

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:44 pm

phil dont you think the fact that richards as replaced gray that this could have something to do with us winning

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Great win, superb performance by the absolutely useless Richard Taundry, and a decent game from Paul Marshall, who according to saddlerken is the worst player to wear a Walsall shirt.

Richards, despite his two excellent free kicks did absolutely nothing - he was the main reason why they scored, as the replays will show. He let his man stroll past him, his man then was left free to shoot, which was saved well, but ricocheted and the 2nd shot went in.

IMO Richard Taundry deserve MOM today, he was excellent, really got stuck in, whereas I think Richards only touched the ball 4 times in the 2nd half, and was quite frankly awful in the first, so to give him MOM is quite ridiculous. You cannot justify having a player in the side on the strength of scoring 3 or 4 freekicks per season, especially when he's responsible for conceding more goals than he scores. It also shows how weak a player Richards is that we now haven't lost a game when Richards has either been assisted by a 3rd central midfielder, or been pushed out to the left.

Reid disappointed me a bit, after scoring two the other night, you'd think he'd be buzzing and would be shooting at every oppurtunity, but he looked like he didnt want to shoot today, he really should have had a goal.

Still a lot of work to save this season, and this win has probably bought Hutchings another 5 games.

Phil, with the greatest of respect I think you have finally, gone completely insane. Unless this a superb and hilarious Sheffesque wind-up. :|

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Suprising attendance aswell - 4,500 odd, even with the 750+ Carlisle fans thats not bad support from us.

Highest home gate of the season?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Ay up phil, got my £50? Or was it £100?

Man of your word?

Richards match winner

I fancy making some more money out of you as you obviously haven't got a clue about football.

I bet you another £50 Marshall plays less football league games than Richards in their respective careers?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:54 pm

morethanuknow wrote:phil dont you think the fact that richards as replaced gray that this could have something to do with us winning

Probably more to do with having two proper players in central midfield rather than carrying Richards.

Richards did absolutely nothing today apart from two set pieces, and I repeat, that is not enough to warrant being in a team.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:55 pm

You mean you honestly read Phil's posts anymore Saigon? His one man crusade against Richards grew tedious a long time ago. Strange how the commentators mentioned Butler, Westlake and Richards as chief contenders for MOTM rather than Taundry. They also mentioned Richards considerably more than 4 times in the second half. Still what do the commmentators (and alsmost everyone else who ever watches Walsall) know eh Phil :D

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Great win, superb performance by the absolutely useless Richard Taundry, and a decent game from Paul Marshall, who according to saddlerken is the worst player to wear a Walsall shirt.

if scoring 2 goals is nothing I'll take that every game please.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:You mean you honestly read Phil's posts anymore Saigon? His one man crusade against Richards grew tedious a long time ago. Strange how the commentators mentioned Butler, Westlake and Richards as chief contenders for MOTM rather than Taundry. They also mentioned Richards considerably more than 4 times in the second half. Still what do the commmentators (and alsmost everyone else who ever watches Walsall) know eh Phil :D

I'm learning quickly :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:59 pm

saddlerken... wrote:hasn't got a clue about football.

saddlerken... wrote:Marshall is the worst player EVER to wear a Walsall shirt

...With players like him and Lescott and Taundry and Dickinson and MacDonald ... we are fast becoming the worst assembled squad of players.

Err, is that the same Marshall and same Taundry who were terrific today in midfield? (As I said at half time?) Is this the same Marshall and Taundry whos 3 game run as a central midfield partnership has yielded 2 wins and a draw?

I dont think it's me who knows nothing about football, someone else has just been on WM saying how all Richards did was the two freekicks. He's f*cking awful, I can take freekicks, do I get a place in the team?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:01 pm

the fact that richards as moved out to left wing to replace gray could mean we are winning and are more solid or can it be that marshall as come into the middle with taundry and we are winning. taundry as one of hes better games of the season today with marshall alongside him and to be honest listening on saddlers player we should of scored off all marshalls dead balls today have we found a good formation for wallsall and that is the real answer

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Firstly, honour your original bet

Secondly, take my new bet then

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:05 pm

saddlerken wrote:Firstly, honour your original bet

Thirdly, go get a life, loser.

baghouse

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Entertaining game, Richards narrowly M-O-M behind Westlake and Butler

Walker - 8
Westlake - 9
Lescott - 7
Lancashire - 7
Richards - 9
Macken - 6
Nicholls - 5
Marshall - 5
Taundry - 6
Reid – 8
Butler - 9

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:10 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Firstly, honour your original bet

Thirdly, go get a life, loser.

do you understand the concept of a bet?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:10 pm

baghouse wrote:Entertaining game, Richards narrowly M-O-M behind Westlake and Butler

Walker - 8
Westlake - 9
Lescott - 7
Lancashire - 7
Richards - 9
Macken - 6
Nicholls - 5
Marshall - 5
Taundry - 6
Reid – 8
Butler - 9

Pretty much agree with that, although I think Nicholls deserves more than a 5. Lescott looked shakey and has no pace so I'd drop him down a point, maybe 2. I thought Reid did well today, but Westlake and Butler were superb.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

A hard-earned but deserved 3 points today. None of the 13 players used played badly although some were better than others! :D Carlisle's midfield looked quite slick at times (yes, I know, they were up against our midfield :) ) but, luckily for us, there was no end-product to their attacking play. Their goal even had an element of luck about it, being their first shot on goal, totally against the run of play (and one of only two on target from them in the first half). Full marks to our lads for not being downhearted by this setback and deservedly levelled before half-time and then took the decisive lead after the interval. This finally kick-started Carlisle out of their lethargy and we rode our luck on a couple of occasions but, for all their possession, they rarely threatened.

I couldn't make up my mind where I had seen their centre-back, Lubomir Michalik, before. It was either as an understudy for King Kong or as Lurch the butler in the Addams Family. What a donkey! He spent most of the game trying to pull Macken's shirt off and he had the turning circle of an oil tanker. Naturally, he won everything in the air but, on the ground, I've seen milk turn faster. We should have exploited this more. To think that he has 4 full caps for Slovakia (I'm not sure in what sport, though :D ).

Walker - did what he had to do - dealt sensibly with their aerial bombardment - nearly prevented their goal
Westlake - my MotM - calm and composed in a way that belied his teenage years
Lancashire - steady performance - won nearly everything in the air
Butler - a steadying influence at the heart of the defence
Lescott - still our weakest player but was never exploited by Carlisle - played sensibly within the limits of his ability
Nicholls - a much improved performance - put in some good crosses and was a constant threat
Marshall - quietly efficient but still does not impose himself on the game - "flitted in and out" of play
Taundry - an energetic captain's performance - not the headless chicken that so many people choose to call him
Richards - took both goals superbly but his general play left a bit to be desired - it doesn't help having Lescott behind him (MotM - joke!)
Macken - toiled industriously and was fouled frequently - kept their defence occupied but never really looked like scoring, himself
Reid - as Macken - his pace should have been used to exploit Michalik
Dickinson - brought on (late, of course!) to replace the tiring Macken - one great run to lay on a chance for Grigg
Grigg - also a late sub (for Reid) - might have scored in the dying minutes but he failed to connect with Dickinson's cross

After two consecutive wins, can we build on this - or will it be another false dawn?
Last edited by Pedagogue on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote: Is this the same Marshall and Taundry whos 3 game run as a central midfield partnership has yielded 2 wins and a draw?

I dont know why Phil gets so much abuse, at least hes backing up his opinions with decent facts like this.

Footballs a game of opinions but when someones able to back up there views like this, they deserve to be heard out.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:39 pm

A better performance: Westlake, for his play over the course of the 90 minutes, deserved to be man of the match but was always going to be Richards on the basis of his two goals. To say Richards did nothing apart from that i feel is a little harsh as he certainly does try.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season