Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Re: Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/11/10.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:25 pm

so tell me this should grigg of scored and did it go through hes legs or behind him
and please dont start being critical if my use of capital letters or are you beging to sruggle with the truth

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:27 pm

king crimson
do you think grigg should of scored and please if you havent veiwed it on saddlers player then i dont expect a honest answer

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:30 pm

fray bentos i cant wait for your take on the first goal and who,s to blame and please if you have access to saddlers player then view it there

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 pm

morethanuknow wrote:fray bentos i cant wait for your take on the first goal and who,s to blame and please if you have access to saddlers player then view it there

Read the thread. He's said his bit on Richards and he's also put forward the idea that maybe, just maybe Marshall let Grella go too.

Read the thread.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 pm

the thing is we arent going to get anyone else in so we have to somehow get the best out of these midfielders we have

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:33 pm

saddlersam in all honestly have you watched it proper and if so who do you blame

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Grigg's shot went through his legs... Unless he was being an enema and trying to do a Zola, then he was just to far in front of the cross.

Sitter? Maybe.

Mtuk...

Here goes: Guy is wide and passes inward, Richards and Marshall do not follow the man. You can see both, at least Richards carries on in vain though. Marshall just stops.

On t'other side you see Grella (the scorer) running into the box. Nicholls doesn't even make it into the area to stop him. By this time Richards has thrown a foot at the ball without getting a good connection and Grella (Nicholls now out of picture and out of box) sends her home.

Nicholls doesn't even bother moving until he has to go back to his restart position and Marshall doesn't react to the loopy ball until it's at Grella's feet.

But hey-ho... It's all Richards' fault because he has a shiny head.

You want blame... I'll throw a fair portion Richards' way... Nicholls also has a hell of a lot to answer for.

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:46 pm

fray bentos
a good honest summary

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:50 pm

morethanuknow wrote:fray bentos
a good honest summary

If anything, watching Nicholls stop when their best goalscorer is running in has made me mad. He's getting the fudge blame for most of it.

He just bloody stopped. Like I've said before though, Richards doesn't hide, he's just not that good.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Afternoon chaps, firstly we WON!

Having been highly critical of the team and management may I say it was a refreshing performance on Saturday which resulted in a thoroughly deserved three points.

This contstant picking of fine detail does my head in, ALL players will make mistakes through a game it is how they respond and how they apply themselves. I am no fan of Richards or Nicholls for that matter but both players have put in 110% over the course of the past couple of games and for me that is all you can ask. If technically they are not good enough then so be it but none of the players can be faulted for there effort.

Walker 8 Commanding and one outstanding save at the end of the game, you can see the confidence increasing with him at the back
Westlake 8 Best game since he broke through, still learning but stuck to the task and got forward
Butler 9 The mans not 100% fit but is EXACTLY what we need a quality and experienced centr half to bring through the kids
Lancashire 7 I slaughtered him for his last game but looked a different player, now needs consistency
Lescott 7 Another solid game, worked well with Richards and some timely blocks

Nichols 7 Doing the simple stuff, using pace and working hard, if he carries on I may even change my opinion of him
Taundry 7 Again stuck to what he can do i.e. the dirty work and allowed Marshall to roam and create
Marshall 9 My MOM due to his influence and continued improvement, needs to work on his awareness and not get caught but pivotal
Richards 8 Two superb goals and 110% efort throughout, far more disciplined in the wide position

Macken 7 Clever, battled and not much protectio but showed all his experience
Reid 7 So frustrating and lazy but when on the ball causes havoc

Subs:
Dickinson 6 Good cameo with an excellent run and cross for a Will Grigg chance
Grigg 6 As above and should have scored but he was there, this kid has a future better than Deeney and Fryatt
Not used: Jones, Gray, Brain, Geddes

Management got it right and th players looked like it finally dawned on them what the situation is, still a long way to go but if we continue like this starting at Wednesday on Tuesday :-) then we should be ok. Remember only one loanee player in the starting eleven so maybe at last the penny has dropped.

No Devaney, Byfield, MacDonald, Bevan, McGivern all injured, suspended or not picked

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:08 pm

morethanuknow wrote:WHAT TV PICTURES ARE YOU WATCHING ive just watched it on saddlers player 5 times and matt richards alowed hes man to run he stood in no mans land doing nothing and by the time marshall tried to get across the damage was done im sorry if you cant see that all i can say is i wouldnt like you to give evidence against me because you are totaly fabricating what your saying
i would suggest you watch on saddlers player and you will realise it was totaly richards fault for ball watching .so id like to say neil you are 100% wrong
and please do me a favour watch it on saddlers player and then give us your verdict all you have to do is follow the guy on the right wing for them and watch richards he does nothing but watches lescott battling away while richards man as overlapping behind the 2 of them

Please can you try and write in sentences, im struggling to read just about all of your posts.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 pm

i think grigg would of had to dislocat his hip or tear his cruciate ligaments to be able to react to the ball that was behind him, it was just unfortunate.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Read the E&S tonight and they do a stats box of all the players and what they contributed to good or bad and guess which player’s box was blank so effectively not making a meaningful contribution based on the E&S own stats?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:Read the E&S tonight and they do a stats box of all the players and what they contributed to good or bad and guess which player’s box was blank so effectively not making a meaningful contribution based on the E&S own stats?

Perhaps, rather than get a player sent off for that ten-man feeling, Hutchings' grand plan is to have one player stand around doing nothing every game?

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Exile wrote:
Dynamo Zuffle wrote:Read the E&S tonight and they do a stats box of all the players and what they contributed to good or bad and guess which player’s box was blank so effectively not making a meaningful contribution based on the E&S own stats?

Perhaps, rather than get a player sent off for that ten-man feeling, Hutchings' grand plan is to have one player stand around doing nothing every game?

But which one according to the E&S stats Exile name the player you think it will be!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:You can tell none of you lot have ever played much competitive football!

Part 1 in a new book by the author entitled, 'Football, my complete and utter mastery of all things'

Have you played much competitve football Phil?

Before answering please bear in mind I have seen you play. :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
morethanuknow wrote:WHAT TV PICTURES ARE YOU WATCHING ive just watched it on saddlers player 5 times and matt richards alowed hes man to run he stood in no mans land doing nothing and by the time marshall tried to get across the damage was done im sorry if you cant see that all i can say is i wouldnt like you to give evidence against me because you are totaly fabricating what your saying
i would suggest you watch on saddlers player and you will realise it was totaly richards fault for ball watching .so id like to say neil you are 100% wrong
and please do me a favour watch it on saddlers player and then give us your verdict all you have to do is follow the guy on the right wing for them and watch richards he does nothing but watches lescott battling away while richards man as overlapping behind the 2 of them

Please can you try and write in sentences, im struggling to read just about all of your posts.

Lescott battling away? Richards covers Lescott's incompetence with a protective layer of baldness. Lescott would have difficulty battling away with a bar of soap.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:45 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:You can tell none of you lot have ever played much competitive football!

Part 1 in a new book by the author entitled, 'Football, my complete and utter mastery of all things'

Thanks for reminding me about that game it was a good Sunday afternoon out for a good cause and saw a few UTS members make a spectacle of themselves that afternoon some better than others.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Thanks for reminding me about that game it was a good Sunday afternoon out for a good cause and saw a few UTS members make a spectacle of themselves that afternoon some better than others.

We did see some sights... And ambulances.

I don't remember Phil: King of all that is the round ball doing a fat lot to impress me.

And let's face it, Daz is a far better player than Phil and he still talks tat :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:24 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:And let's face it, Daz is a far better player than Phil and he still talks tat :wink:

:D

Gerard Houllier on football management: "You don't need to have been a horse to become a champion jockey."

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:41 am

Oh, and a bit of an afterthought: Matt Richards divides opinion it would appear more than any other player in the squad. Thinking back to boo-boys favourites in our recent past, I remember Tom Bennett (the captain of the team for the play-off final at Cardiff) and Simon Osborn (regular player in our Division One days under Lee, even with a fractured toe). What they all have in common is the central midfield berth they occupy - not as a result of Messi-esque flair nor Mascherano-style tenacity, but through a simple passing game that enables other players to function better than they would with other personnel in the role. Bennett and Osborn weren't appreciated by know-nothings either.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 am

King Crimson wrote:Oh, and a bit of an afterthought: Matt Richards divides opinion it would appear more than any other player in the squad. Thinking back to boo-boys favourites in our recent past, I remember Tom Bennett (the captain of the team for the play-off final at Cardiff) and Simon Osborn (regular player in our Division One days under Lee, even with a fractured toe). What they all have in common is the central midfield berth they occupy - not as a result of Messi-esque flair nor Mascherano-style tenacity, but through a simple passing game that enables other players to function better than they would with other personnel in the role. Bennett and Osborn weren't appreciated by know-nothings either.

Hear hear...

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:24 am

Bennett was a very good player for us. On the other hand I thought Osborn and his brothers Osbourne and Osborne were useless tools :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:04 am

Bennett was a solid player, got on with the job.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Bennett was a very good player for us. On the other hand I thought Osborn and his brothers Osbourne and Osborne were useless tools :D

Ah, so you're an Ozbourne fan then? :wink:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 pm

King Crimson wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Bennett was a very good player for us. On the other hand I thought Osborn and his brothers Osbourne and Osborne were useless tools :D

Ah, so you're an Ozbourne fan then? :wink:

There was another brother :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:Oh, and a bit of an afterthought: Matt Richards divides opinion it would appear more than any other player in the squad. Thinking back to boo-boys favourites in our recent past, I remember Tom Bennett (the captain of the team for the play-off final at Cardiff) and Simon Osborn (regular player in our Division One days under Lee, even with a fractured toe). What they all have in common is the central midfield berth they occupy - not as a result of Messi-esque flair nor Mascherano-style tenacity, but through a simple passing game that enables other players to function better than they would with other personnel in the role. Bennett and Osborn weren't appreciated by know-nothings either.

Osborn/Osbourne yes.

Bennet no. Useless. :D

You gotta love football.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:And let's face it, Daz is a far better player than Phil and he still talks tat :wink:

Gerard Houllier on football management: "You don't need to have been a horse to become a champion jockey."

And, of course, as we all know, you can have played for Arsenal, Middlesborough, Aston Villa and England and still know absolutely chuff all about football.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

And, of course, as we all know, you can have played for Arsenal, Middlesborough, Aston Villa and England and still know absolutely chuff all about football.

To our cost, Neil. To our cost. :evil:

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season