Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) F A Cup 1st rnd replay Tuesday 16/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) F A Cup 1st rnd replay Tuesday 16/11/10.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:42 pm

yoda wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:
yoda wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:Yeah and I still say why would you want them to have to visit Stadium MK - if the draw had been MK Dons at home that would be different but you are wishing a situation on them just so you can go and watch!!!!!!

What does it matter where they play? They're still facing them

It matters to them and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get that! Why should they play a game away when they have been drawn at home? In any situation for that matter but certainly in this one! Ridiculous!

Im not suggesting they should play away when theyve been drawn fairly at home....

It doesn't matter at all, MK Dons are out.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:44 pm

longdogs wrote:What's going on with the Franchise v Stevenage penalties? BBC says it's 6-4 to Stevenage on pens!

Stevenage won 7-6, so the whole MK/Wimbledon discussion is now moot.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Walsall_fan1992 wrote:
yoda wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:
yoda wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:Yeah and I still say why would you want them to have to visit Stadium MK - if the draw had been MK Dons at home that would be different but you are wishing a situation on them just so you can go and watch!!!!!!

What does it matter where they play? They're still facing them

It matters to them and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get that! Why should they play a game away when they have been drawn at home? In any situation for that matter but certainly in this one! Ridiculous!

Im not suggesting they should play away when theyve been drawn fairly at home....

It doesn't matter at all, MK Dons are out.

Now there's something to celebrate!

deanonev69
Glitterati

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Absolute garbage: lucky/fortunate to still be in the cup. Walker/poor Fleetwood finishing is the reason we are off to Torquay.

If that pillock talks of us being better side or having turned the corner, he is even more deluded that we already thought.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Kiansmom wrote:absolute dross! apart from JW

for the nosey ones west bromwich road closed off from the junction with Talke rd up to the turning for Yew Tree. About 10 police cars including under cover and vans about 100 people standing watching but have no idea of the cause

song of the night "I'd rather have Swifty than the dog"

Oooooh. Wish I went now so I could have had a nose at the incident! Wonder what it was..

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:

Does it really matter? What a stupid pointless discussion. Are you trying to get a reaction or something? :roll: It's only a bloody game of football, why shouldnt he wish that Wimbledon played at MK so that he could go and watch?

If you're gonna stick your oar in at least read the posts!!!!!! He is wanting them to have to play at Stadium MK so he can watch!!!! The point is the draw is a home draw for Wimbledon! If it is so pointless why are you involving yourself?!?!?!?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Never at any single point did I say I wanted the draw changing.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Rubbish

Wacka, Westlake and Reid did well

Nicholls and Lacashire did ok

the rest need shooting

P.S lucky the ref didn't see Jimmy punch there player

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:59 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:

for the nosey ones west bromwich road closed off from the junction with Talke rd up to the turning for Yew Tree. About 10 police cars including under cover and vans about 100 people standing watching but have no idea of the cause

Oooooh. Wish I went now so I could have had a nose at the incident! Wonder what it was..

just been told fatal road accident, but must have been more than that for how many police there were

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 pm

canadiansaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
yoda wrote:Nooo... MK leading. Dont want Wimbledon V MK as it would be at Wimbledon and Id never get a ticket. Want it at Stadium MK so I could go
Hartlepool 1-0 up at Vauxhall too. Brighton 1-0 up against Woking. No shocks at the moment.

Woking have equalized

Want it at Stadium MK so I could go! I rest my case your honor!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:03 pm

WOOF WOOF :)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 pm

So, a 2-0 home win against a non-league side, albeit a reasonable one? I'll take the result as I never want us to lose regardless of circumstances, but whether you're a neutral or a die-hard Saddler, you know we're relegation certainties with the players we have, the tactics behind them & the attitude around the place.

To be fair to Fleetwood, they play the game how it should be played. Where possible, they'll get the ball down on the floor and look to play through teams. Despite having an absolute beer monster of a centre half, they had two fullbacks who were always an outlet, a central midfield who kept wanting (& getting) the ball & a striker who has made a career out of playing with his back to goal & making simple lay-offs. Nothing spectacular, but it made us chase shadows for at least half an hour of that game.

Fortunately, Jimmy Walker was in fine form. In the first half alone he made five saves which turned back the years & showed that there's more than enough life in the old dog yet. You have to ask though why he's come away from that game with the crate of Banks's under his arm. The answer is that the majority of the players in front of him just don't do their jobs. I could talk all night about what I think is wrong, but will sum things up with the following:

Westlake: Good on the ball, but isn't quite tight enough defensively. That will probably come with experience, but Manny Smith is hardly the best person to be learning from right now.
Lescott: Weak defensively, always seems to look for the long ball down the line & never gets forward. Lets so many runners & crosses past him, it's unreal.
Smith: Seems to have gone backwards in the last 18 months. Probably wins about 20% of the ball whether on the floor or in the air. Not good enough, I'm afraid & as I've said before, it's no coincidence that he's been an ever present in the side & we've leaked so many goals.
Lancashire: After a shaky start, actually looked solid. Won a fair amount in the air given that he's the sweeper & his distribution is the best we've got from the back.
Nicholls: Put in a couple of threatening crosses, but flattered to deceive again in every other respect. He's not a young kid any more, and has had enough chances to prove himself.
Taundry: As with Smith, just hasn't developed. Dwells on the ball for far too long, and has an absolutely rancid first touch at times.
Richards: Can't understand why our best passer of the ball was put on the left of midfield. Always offers a sensible head, but needs to be in the middle of the park.
Marshall: Looked neat and tidy at times, but too quiet overall. He's dubbed as an attacking midfielder, but probably never strayed into the box, which seems strange. Think he can offer more than Taundry given a run in the side, but that's not necessarily going to be enough.
Reid: Has a bit of pace, guile & skill, which is why he's our top goalscorer. Could do with picking the right pass a bit more often though.
Dickinson: Slowly got going & into the game, but everything about him looks lethargic. He obviously has ability, but is the epitome of your desperate loan signing - doesn't look like he'll go that extra yard or work that extra 10% harder to grind out a result. That worries me, because he looks like he's scored goals at most of the clubs he's been at previously.

Do I think Hutchings should go? Yes. Why? Because I still think there's some potential there with the right man in charge. The problem we have is, with every game we lose as a result of a bad team selection or none-existant tactics, that squad of players' confidence takes another beating. Soon enough, we'll hit a point so low that there won't be a new face or set of ideas out there to rescue things.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:So, a 2-0 home win against a non-league side, albeit a reasonable one? I'll take the result as I never want us to lose regardless of circumstances, but whether you're a neutral or a die-hard Saddler, you know we're relegation certainties with the players we have, the tactics behind them & the attitude around the place.

To be fair to Fleetwood, they play the game how it should be played. Where possible, they'll get the ball down on the floor and look to play through teams. Despite having an absolute beer monster of a centre half, they had two fullbacks who were always an outlet, a central midfield who kept wanting (& getting) the ball & a striker who has made a career out of playing with his back to goal & making simple lay-offs. Nothing spectacular, but it made us chase shadows for at least half an hour of that game.

Fortunately, Jimmy Walker was in fine form. In the first half alone he made five saves which turned back the years & showed that there's more than enough life in the old dog yet. You have to ask though why he's come away from that game with the crate of Banks's under his arm. The answer is that the majority of the players in front of him just don't do their jobs. I could talk all night about what I think is wrong, but will sum things up with the following:

Westlake: Good on the ball, but isn't quite tight enough defensively. That will probably come with experience, but Manny Smith is hardly the best person to be learning from right now.
Lescott: Weak defensively, always seems to look for the long ball down the line & never gets forward. Lets so many runners & crosses past him, it's unreal.
Smith: Seems to have gone backwards in the last 18 months. Probably wins about 20% of the ball whether on the floor or in the air. Not good enough, I'm afraid & as I've said before, it's no coincidence that he's been an ever present in the side & we've leaked so many goals.
Lancashire: After a shaky start, actually looked solid. Won a fair amount in the air given that he's the sweeper & his distribution is the best we've got from the back.
Nicholls: Put in a couple of threatening crosses, but flattered to deceive again in every other respect. He's not a young kid any more, and has had enough chances to prove himself.
Taundry: As with Smith, just hasn't developed. Dwells on the ball for far too long, and has an absolutely rancid first touch at times.
Richards: Can't understand why our best passer of the ball was put on the left of midfield. Always offers a sensible head, but needs to be in the middle of the park.
Marshall: Looked neat and tidy at times, but too quiet overall. He's dubbed as an attacking midfielder, but probably never strayed into the box, which seems strange. Think he can offer more than Taundry given a run in the side, but that's not necessarily going to be enough.
Reid: Has a bit of pace, guile & skill, which is why he's our top goalscorer. Could do with picking the right pass a bit more often though.
Dickinson: Slowly got going & into the game, but everything about him looks lethargic. He obviously has ability, but is the epitome of your desperate loan signing - doesn't look like he'll go that extra yard or work that extra 10% harder to grind out a result. That worries me, because he looks like he's scored goals at most of the clubs he's been at previously.

Do I think Hutchings should go? Yes. Why? Because I still think there's some potential there with the right man in charge. The problem we have is, with every game we lose as a result of a bad team selection or none-existant tactics, that squad of players' confidence takes another beating. Soon enough, we'll hit a point so low that there won't be a new face or set of ideas out there to rescue things.

Good read, thanks Rob.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:15 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:
canadiansaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
yoda wrote: Nooo... MK leading. Dont want Wimbledon V MK as it would be at Wimbledon and Id never get a ticket. Want it at Stadium MK so I could go
Hartlepool 1-0 up at Vauxhall too. Brighton 1-0 up against Woking. No shocks at the moment.

Woking have equalized

Want it at Stadium MK so I could go! I rest my case your honor!

Exhibit A -

yoda wrote:
Nooo... MK leading. Dont want Wimbledon V MK

Now I ask the jury to consider this. Why would I spend the night wanting MK to lose if I were holding out hope the venue would be changed? Perhaps I dont understand the rules of the FA Cup?

When considering the charges against my client (me) I'd like you to consider....

Exhibit B -
yoda wrote: Im upset at MK winning tonight.

I dont want that tie to go ahead. I want there first meeting to be at stadium MK, hence wanting them to lose tonight.

which clearly establishes my motives. I would like the potential 2010 2nd round tie to NOT GO AHEAD (as stated) so theres a chance the first meeting of the 2 teams at a later date (ie, Carling Cup, JPT, League 1/2, and FA Cup beyond 2010) will be at stadium MK since I fully understand the potential 2010 FA Cup tie will not be at stadium MK.

When considering a verdict I would like the jury to consider that the prosecution has failed to establish or present any evidence that I expressed desire for the venue of the potential 2010 FA Cup tie to be changed. I have quite obviously expresssed desire it not be played so it can be redrawn fairly and legally at stadium MK in years to come.

Defence rests, your honour... :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:24 pm

The jury have retired, to consider their verdict.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Maybe the prize money from tonight can go towards getting rid of this clown.He must be pretty thick skinned to sit through that abuse again.
We should have been at least 3 down at half time.Only the heroics of super jim prevented this.
The position of Hutch is now untenable.Even if we win the next 5 games he will not win the fans over.it's too late for that now.
Please see the light Bonser and sack this idiot!

Lone Striker

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:29 pm

Very lucky still to be in the cup, the reason we are is solely down to Jimmy Walker who made at least 4 crucial saves in the first half when again we were outplayed and out passed by a team from the conference.
The back four is the weakest I have seen in over 40 years of following WFC. Neither full back is capable of winning anything in the air, are weak in the challenge and consistently do not prevent crosses into the box, both need replacing with players with stronger defensive qualities. Of the two centre halves tonight Lancashire was streets ahead of Smith who again fails to impress anybody, poor defending and dreadful distribution as has been the case all season. Manny Smith has gone from a player with limited ability who we got the best out of, to a really poor looking defender, clearly lacking in any confidence as well. Interesting for Saturday as Butler will start and in a straight choice based on tonight we have to start with Lancashire, I bet we will not though as Smith has been ever present and clearly our Manager disagrees with what most of us can clearly see, even though clean sheets have been a struggle to keep all season.
Our midfield was poor all night, no quality in posession and spent lots of time chasing around the pitch as they passed the ball with confidence. Of the four nobody stood out for me and there is the problem, against non league opposition we have nobody with enough quality to impose themselves on the game. Up front same story with no quality service and few crosses, the two strikers spend time feeding on scraps of posession fighting an aerial battle as we hoof the ball from the back.
To still be in the cup should be a boost, however, as to whether it could kick start our league form I suspect against better quality opposition that we now face in the next two games our defensive frailties will see us still rock bottom of the league as we make the trip to Plainmoor a week on Saturday.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:32 pm

yoda wrote:Defence rests, your honour... :D

I find the defendant not guilty on all charges. Charge the plaintiff with wasting UTS time. :twisted:

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Wahoo! Im off to party with OJ! Night lads!

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:42 pm

well done to all the lads and lasses tonight who tried their hardest to put pressure on hutch, we can still do more though.

we need to keep momentum going after a song not let it die and then feeling abit more nervous about putting anoter song out there, i feel everyone should take turns to start a song off and everyone folow it, that way we get say 15- 20 songs off.

ideally for me we need more fans to want to get involved, i would love two singing sections in the stand so we can sing " right side give us a song" and then be able to bounce songs of each other and keep the momentum going

but i am very happy with what we acheived on a crap tuesday night with dismal football

UTS

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:25 am

A really big accident happened, some dead some critical. Thats what i heard anyway!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 am

latviancheese wrote:A really big accident happened, some dead some critical. Thats what i heard anyway!

Aw :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:36 am

Exile wrote:
Surrey Saddler wrote:Wow, Hutchings is safe

Ideal opportunity to put up a quick 'rageguy'

Looks like the rather unsophisticated cousin of my avatar. :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:54 am

1st half, we were outplayed by Fleetwood, you really wouldn't have known who was the conference side and who was the league 1 side, we were dreadful. Jimmy made 3 or 4 terrific saves towards the end of the first half - one where they had a free header 5 yards out from a corner, one he tipped just round the post and another close quarters block.

In all honesty, we were lucky not to be 3-0 down at half time, and Fleetwood should have been disappointed that they werent.

2nd half we came out and improved a little, Nicholls put in a decent cross for Reid to slide in, and Reids 2nd goal was really well taken (proving why he should start every game).

Marshall did ok in midfield, at least he gets stuck in, tackles a bit and can run - unlike a certain mr Richards who once again redefined "sod all" with his performance.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 am

latviancheese wrote:A really big accident happened, some dead, some critical. That's what I heard anyway!

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/late ... sp?id=3769

Not a happy story.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:03 am

Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:A really big accident happened, some dead, some critical. That's what I heard anyway!

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/late ... sp?id=3769

Not a happy story.

Vey common though. :(

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:39 am

Well well well

Having been told to sit down by a fellow saddler for getting far too charged at the dismal first half display
Contemplating purchasing a tartan blanket for the cold nights ahead
Queueing for 15 mins for a coffee
Having to hit the gents too many times cos the cold kicked in post pre match drink

Lets get onto the match

Attendance 2056 with I guess 150 from Fleetwood
Formation, god only knows I am sure we played 442, 533, 621 and every other permatation of numbers you can make from 10
Fleetwood, excellent fluidity and movement with pace and guile, McNulty had our two in his pocket and he is 20 stone!
Jimmy Walker, 5 down by half time without Super Jim, but he got away with a Millwall moment have smacked there lad in the 2nd half

Player Stats

Jimmy 10, got to have a top score not only for the saves but the consequences of a dismal defeat if Brain had been in goal

Westlake 6, has to learn to be a little more cute with his defending especially in the air but ok
Smith 5, what's happened to this lad a major dip in form and confidence although managed to win a couple of headers at the end
Lancashire 4, oh dear oh dear, CV for a centre half, head the ball and tackle, can't do either
Lescott 4, is that Richards tied to you with a piece of string gone backwards and useless in the air

Nicholls 6, would have been 7 but not consistent enough, showed some passion & fight in the early stages and I dont rate him
Taundry 6, get back to basics Richie!
Marshall 6, does this lad take sleeping tablets, woke up for the first ten of 2nd half and got stuck in
Richards 6, lots of effort, covered Lescott all night, I can't knock his willingness but would play him at left back if we could

Dickinson 5, an ok game although not liked, won lots of flicks to no avail, works hard
Reid 7, tough one his goals were good especially the 2nd, needs to work harder & could be a superstar, 6 goals this season

Subs: None used but they were Brain, Gray, Patterson, Hickman, Jones

Management: Got the bird tonight, best song we have had in years although derogatory made me laugh. Hutchings you 'Dxxxxhead' get out of our club'. Has to go, deluded and must know this is his last job!

Fans: I thought considering there were about 1800 of us the singing and atmosphere was as good as could be expected. Some good moments 'Ian Roper, Ian Ian Roper' coincidently or not following yet more dismal defending. Every fan in the ground wants him gone, the press have now realised that we are in freefall and come Saturday encourage all your mates and stayaways to get down there and add to the noise

Weather: Is it February allready?

Dancing Kev: Get some clothes on you'll catch you death plus berating the photographers shouting 'your late your late' made me laugh!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:09 am

Mal wrote:Well well well
Formation, god only knows I am sure we played 442, 533, 621 and every other permatation of numbers you can make from 10

Quick note, 533 adds up to 11.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:20 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Mal wrote:Well well well

Quick note, 533 adds up to 11.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 am

and 621 is 9 :D

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 am

Somebody needs to comment on how poor Fleetwood were last night. They looked a rather poor conference side: very dodgy in defence; frequently gave the ball away in midfield; and no matter how many chances Walsall gave them they could not put the ball into an almost open goal. Having said that they were far better that Walsall.

Anyone who did not go to the match might be cheered by the result and think that it may be a sign that Walsall have turned the corner. In fact after watching last night's performance nobody in their right minds would think that Hutchings could keep us in this division.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season