Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) F A Cup 1st rnd replay Tuesday 16/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) F A Cup 1st rnd replay Tuesday 16/11/10.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 am

philthesaddler wrote:Marshall did ok in midfield, at least he gets stuck in, tackles a bit and can run - unlike a certain mr Richards who once again redefined "sod all" with his performance.

Soz Phil, I don't agree with that. "I must have seen a different game" and such. Richards was everywhere, and is a huge reason why Fleetwood didn't enjoy complete mastery of the midfield.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Marshall did ok in midfield, at least he gets stuck in, tackles a bit and can run - unlike a certain mr Richards who once again redefined "sod all" with his performance.

Soz Phil, I don't agree with that. "I must have seen a different game" and such. Richards was everywhere, and is a huge reason why Fleetwood didn't enjoy complete mastery of the midfield.

It appears that Phils preference for our very home grown Taundrey somewhat sums up Phils ability to judge the merits of any player. Taundreys performance last night verged on the edge of uselessness, always second to the ball, thuggish and clumsy in his tackles, poor judgement, slow, ineffective, can't pass unless both his eyes are facing the same way, no ball control and completely uninspiring*. As regards Mr Marshall, he is not very good but is an improvement on a woodlouse.

I note that Richards was played out on the wing last night in favour of our midfield dynamoes Taundrey and Marshall, presumably to try to stop who ever was playing at full back having to mark or tackle anybody.

I now watch Richards with more interest thanks to Phils expert analysis on his play which I can now confirm doesn't involve watching the game.

*nb one of those comments is purely speculation

WombourneSaddler

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Fleetwood weren't great, but then relative to what? For a Conference team, they were pretty good and they could probably hold their own in League 2. More to the point, they were better than us. I don't understand why Hutchings can't grasp that the problem is in midfield. Taundry is only capable of is a very very limited holding role in front of the defence, breaking up play and not being allowed to pass the halfway line. It is true that he, like Richards, runs around a lot, but to be honest, they're wasting their energy because they don't seem to know where they're running or why. They are second to every ball and if, by some miracle they do get hold of it, they give it away again.

But it isn't just Taundry's fault. Better players (Mattis, Bradley, Marshall) have disappeared into the Bermuda triangle that is the Walsall midfield. We appear always to have two lemons in red shirts standing parallel with each other in the centre circle with the play either happening in front of them or behind them. Result is no support for the front two and no cover for the defence. No sane pair of professional footballers would continue in that way of their accord, so this must be a Hutchings instruction.

Richards isn't much better as a wide midfielder. I counted 5 occasions in the first half alone when he and his chum Lescott went missing, leaving the Fleetwood right winger with a couple of acres of space and all the time he needed.

The way we are set up to play, we are sitting ducks every game. Since we don't have any quality central midfielders, we need to make ourselves hard to beat, rely on Reid/Byfield/Devaney creating something on the counter with everyone else sitting back and harrying like mad when we lose the ball. It's not a great plan, but it is at least a plan.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Mal wrote:Well well well
Formation, god only knows I am sure we played 442, 533, 621 and every other permatation of numbers you can make from 10

Quick note, 533 adds up to 11.

There was some percieved irony in my use of an additional outfield player i.e Jimmy was our best defender

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Comments about Fleetwood being poor, are feel are harsh in respect of the peformance they put on if we played in that manner we would not be where we are

And yes I can't count :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (H) F A Cup 1st rnd replay Tuesday 16/11/10.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 pm

The report on Fleetwood's website describes Walsall fans as "long-suffering". Sympathy from a club who were in the North West Counties League five years ago!

A club transformed etc etc.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:27 pm

This performance should increase the chances of Hutchings getting sacked. When we get outplayed by a Blue Square team and just about manage to sneak a win you know we have found our natural level. Well done Hutchings, now GO!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Cully wrote:It appears that Phils preference for our very home grown Taundrey somewhat sums up Phils ability to judge the merits of any player. Taundreys performance last night verged on the edge of uselessness, always second to the ball, thuggish and clumsy in his tackles, poor judgement, slow, ineffective, can't pass unless both his eyes are facing the same way, no ball control and completely uninspiring*. As regards Mr Marshall, he is not very good but is an improvement on a woodlouse.

I note that Richards was played out on the wing last night in favour of our midfield dynamoes Taundrey and Marshall, presumably to try to stop who ever was playing at full back having to mark or tackle anybody.

I now watch Richards with more interest thanks to Phils expert analysis on his play which I can now confirm doesn't involve watching the game.

I didnt mention Taundry, but he offers more to the team than Richards. Richards does not tackle, he never closes down, he simply can't run so he gets outpaced by everyone, his crossing last night was woeful - he's an absolute nothing player, a total passenger - at least Taundry puts himself about, just like Marshall did (I supposed you missed the 7 or 8 good tackles that Marshall made, but totally ignored Richards almost constant objection to physical contact of any kind?). You cannot afford passengers in any team, and Richards is one, simple as.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:It appears that Phils preference for our very home grown Taundrey somewhat sums up Phils ability to judge the merits of any player. Taundreys performance last night verged on the edge of uselessness, always second to the ball, thuggish and clumsy in his tackles, poor judgement, slow, ineffective, can't pass unless both his eyes are facing the same way, no ball control and completely uninspiring*. As regards Mr Marshall, he is not very good but is an improvement on a woodlouse.

I didnt mention Taundry, but he offers more to the team than Richards. Richards does not tackle, he never closes down, he simply can't run so he gets outpaced by everyone, his crossing last night was woeful - he's an absolute nothing player, a total passenger - at least Taundry puts himself about, just like Marshall did (I supposed you missed the 7 or 8 good tackles that Marshall made, but totally ignored Richards almost constant objection to physical contact of any kind?). You cannot afford passengers in any team, and Richards is one, simple as.

Not the Richards I was watching last night. :?

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:51 pm

i hope i can throw some light on fleetwood so maybe some fans wiil think about fleetwood in a better light.
on saturday fleetwood drew and the chairman went into the dressing room after the game and said if you dont improve i will replace all of you with 10 new players
mullen who was sub for them was one of the better players at mutd academy but was a bit on the wild side thats why hes not there know and by the way hes on 1200 a week and thats why hes at fleetwood hey and hes a sub.seddon is only playing in that league because a few years ago he had a big compensation pay off from the football league due to a carreeer ending injury so he lay low for a few years but by all acounts an excellent player.5 of there players are on 2 grand a week and please dont tell me there at fleetwood for the fame.i honestly think this was a very tricky tie they play the same team every week which must help and we changer our team every week .this is why i dont think the gap is as big as people think.we played bad and won the goalie was brought in to play like he played last night a lot of people called walsall for brining him back but a good move i say . lets not be negative and try and be positive and move on

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:22 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Not the Richards I was watching last night. :?

Tackles made: 0
Headers won: 0
Players beaten: 0
Good crosses: 0

What exactly did you see him do?

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

I think the Richards that Saigon and I watched last night played in the Walsall team against the plucky and unlucky Fleetwood. I fear the Richards you watched last night was probably Wendy Richards [deceased] English actress best known for playing Miss Brahms in Are You Being Served? on UK Gold which would explain her lack of success on the football field. However, she did have fine pussy according to Mrs Slocome or was it the other way around?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:03 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Nice scientific analysis there!

Without reference to the legendary 'Hutchings DVD' of the game, I cannot walk you through each of the individual bits of 'stuff' that seperate poor, incompetent players from better, more competent players. I can recall numerous tackles and other football 'stuff' that elevated Richards above and beyond the dismal showing of the majority of the rest of the team.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:15 pm

Taundry tried but was rubbish
Marshall is annoynous
Richards on the wing - OH MY GOD, why would you put him there. Had a poor game for me, but he isn't a wide player in a million years.

Nicholls was the best out of a terrible midfield

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 pm

0 out of 10

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 pm

Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:A really big accident happened, some dead, some critical. That's what I heard anyway!

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/late ... sp?id=3769

Not a happy story.

Vey common though. :(

Feels different when its on your own patch though.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:A really big accident happened, some dead, some critical. That's what I heard anyway!

Not a happy story.

Yeah I knew it had to be bad after about 3 ambulances stormed past me on the way out of the ground.

Sad story.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 pm

You Reds wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Not a happy story.

Yeah I knew it had to be bad after about 3 ambulances stormed past me on the way out of the ground.

Sad story.

Sad but completely avoidable if you don't speed in suburban streets in your late model performance car. Seems from the police report that they suspect they were racing too.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 pm

morethanuknow wrote:i hope i can throw some light on fleetwood so maybe some fans wiil think about fleetwood in a better light.
on saturday fleetwood drew and the chairman went into the dressing room after the game and said if you dont improve i will replace all of you with 10 new players
mullen who was sub for them was one of the better players at mutd academy but was a bit on the wild side thats why hes not there know and by the way hes on 1200 a week and thats why hes at fleetwood hey and hes a sub.seddon is only playing in that league because a few years ago he had a big compensation pay off from the football league due to a carreeer ending injury so he lay low for a few years but by all acounts an excellent player.5 of there players are on 2 grand a week and please dont tell me there at fleetwood for the fame.i honestly think this was a very tricky tie they play the same team every week which must help and we changer our team every week .this is why i dont think the gap is as big as people think.we played bad and won the goalie was brought in to play like he played last night a lot of people called walsall for brining him back but a good move i say . lets not be negative and try and be positive and move on

hmm there is a precentage of that post I agree with ermmm 0, 0% just about sums up how much you know :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:59 am

philthesaddler wrote:at least Taundry puts himself about

Ahh, that old chestnut again, Phil?
He's good because he runs around & almost tackles people?

The worst thing we ever did was convert Taundry from a promsing right back to a floundering midfielder. I appreciate his effort, I really do. At the end of the day though, running around a lot pales into insignificance if you can't control or pass the ball.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

The worst thing we ever did was convert Taundry from a promsing right back to a floundering midfielder. I appreciate his effort, I really do. At the end of the day though, running around a lot pales into insignificance if you can't control or pass the ball.

Exactly. I could put myself about with the level of conditioning these guys gets.

The thing is, while being shite, (this is for Phil, so he doesn't confuse his pretty little head with me thinking he's Xavi) Matt Richards still has more guile and creativity in his hairless armpit that Taundry.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:15 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Exactly. I could put myself about with the level of conditioning these guys gets.

The thing is, while being guano, (this is for Phil, so he doesn't confuse his pretty little head with me thinking he's Xavi) Matt Richards still has more guile and creativity in his hairless armpit that Taundry.

To be fair, Captain Fantastic was 'putting himself about' when he pulled back the Fleetwood lad to concede the penalty in the fixture at their place. If only Richards had made a positive contribution to the 1-1 draw.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:20 am

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

The thing is, while being guano, (this is for Phil, so he doesn't confuse his pretty little head with me thinking he's Xavi) Matt Richards still has more guile and creativity in his hairless armpit that Taundry.

To be fair, Captain Fantastic was 'putting himself about' when he pulled back the Fleetwood lad to concede the penalty in the fixture at their place. If only Richards had made a positive contribution to the 1-1 draw.

I know. Through my drunken haze I saw a bald guy score a 20 yarder. I thought it was Whitney.

Oddly enough, I had forgotten Taundry conceded that penalty.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season