Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) F A Cup 1st round Saturday 6/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
PT
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) F A Cup 1st round Saturday 6/11/10.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Zece_WFC wrote:That was poor!!! Dickenson is absolutley shocking!

They could of won it after their goal which was a stunner! Walker kept us in the game!

Couple of mentions:

Hutchings waved at us and then got slated haha, he realised it was a pee take and didn't even look over for the rest of the game!
Another mention to the very vocal away following!
and my last mention goes to the guy who decided to square up to a fan in the middle of the away end and near enough start a fight because people didn't take kindly to him shouting get behind the team you're a bunch of see you next Tuesdays.

He was right, just got more bottle than most.

Have a go at Hutch fair enough, the blokes a joke. But what's the point of travelling half way across the country, singing "we only boo Hutchings" and then mercilessly slaughtering some very young players, many of whom were blowing out of their backside due to the effort they'd put in? It's not their fault they play for a bloke who thinks the polo-mint formation (the one with the great bleedin hole in the middle) is the way forward.

Lone Striker

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:03 pm

Well we can certainly count ourselves lucky still to be in the cup after another poor performance, mixed with some quality saves from Walker. Same old frailties as previous weeks, hoof it football from the back, very little controlled football and we were definitely out passed by a team from two leagues lower, even when we had 11 players on the pitch. The referee was poor all afternoon and the penalty did look a bad decision and justice was probably done with the miss, the sending off is difficult to comment on as it happened very quickly in the middle of the pitch, however, the challenge gave a poor referee an option to show a red card and he duly did.

For me the most baffling decision of the day was the Managers choice to leave Dickinson on the pitch and substitute Jones with Lescott, Dickinson contributed absoloutely nothing today and looks a really poor signing, the obvious change was to take him off with Macken playing up front on his own keeping our wide men, not sure what system we tried to play second half with Macken playing somewhere in a deep striker/midfield role, surely would heve been more effective up front.

Larger following than I thought we would have today and Hutchings can have been left in no doubt about the supporters feeling towards him. On a positive note we are still in the cup, however, with McGivern suspended, Devaney looking like he pulled a hamstring and Macdonald limping off at what cost!

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 pm

PT wrote:

They could of won it after their goal which was a stunner! Walker kept us in the game!

Couple of mentions:

Hutchings waved at us and then got slated haha, he realised it was a pee take and didn't even look over for the rest of the game!
and my last mention goes to the guy who decided to square up to a fan in the middle of the away end and near enough start a fight because people didn't take kindly to him shouting get behind the team you're a bunch of see you next Tuesdays.

Have a go at Hutch fair enough, the blokes a joke. But what's the point of travelling half way across the country, singing "we only boo Hutchings" and then mercilessly slaughtering some very young players, many of whom were blowing out of their backside due to the effort they'd put in? It's not their fault they play for a bloke who thinks the polo-mint formation (the one with the great bleedin hole in the middle) is the way forward.

Maybe he was right but it was bang out of order to aim it at people who was only slating Hutch and not the players.... he picked the wrong people to hurl his abuse at and then he didn't like it when people said stuff back.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Plus point: welcome back Jimmy Walkerm - back to his vintage best.
Caught more crosses today than Brain has all season, although just 1 would have beaten Brain's total.
Can't add any new comments on the game, swear filter stops that.
Oh and Phil if you claim Taundry is better than Richards you should be banned from this board. There were some bad performances today but he and Dickinson took rubbish to a new level.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Oh and Phil if you claim Taundry is better than Richards you should be banned from this board. There were some bad performances today but he and Dickinson took rubbish to a new level.

I'm assuming the weight of the captain's armband interefered with his style of play. All that responsibility.

Disappointed with the result, but not at all surprised. Any other team you'd think would win a home replay but will we? Not so sure, and that's sad. League One - you're having a laugh. Can't even mix it with the Blue Square.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:48 pm

Exile wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:Oh and Phil if you claim Taundry is better than Richards you should be banned from this board. There were some bad performances today but he and Dickinson took rubbish to a new level.

I'm assuming the weight of the captain's armband interefered with his style of play. All that responsibility.

Disappointed with the result, but not at all surprised. Any other team you'd think would win a home replay but will we? Not so sure, and that's sad. League One - you're having a laugh. Can't even mix it with the Blue Square.

Armband or not Exile, Taundry was shocking today, Still he's a local lad and runs around a lot.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Sorry, forgot the /sarc :wink:

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:05 pm

So a quick summary:

We were cr@p (AGAIN)
The team have NO team spirit
The manager doesn't understand and still waves at the Walsall fans (how dense do you need to be)
We manage to almost lose to a team two divisions beneath us (thank goodness for the penalty miss)
We finish the game with 10 men cos the other team are so good the only way to stop them is to play dirty enough to get a straight red card
The fans are fighting between themselves

CAN IT GET ANY WORSE? SADLY I THINK THE ANSWER IS YES - ISN'T MR BONSER?????

Why on earth is anybody even considering going to the replay?

There was a suggestion earlier on in the thread suggesting we boycott it - I agree! Let's have no-one go to the game - surely that would draw attention!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 pm

how fat was their centre half, the one that missed the penalty....a real pub player that still had dickinson in his pocket. he made wacka look like twiggy.

good songs today, I especially liked the DVD one :D

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:17 pm

I love going to midweek games as I go on the train and have a few pints before and after the game. My first thought was to go to the replay but decided I can't be bothered. I've decided I might still go out on the train but just stay drinking around Walsall. Anyone fancy a night on the pop and leave Dogface to himself?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:20 pm

tinned wrote:I love going to midweek games as I go on the train and have a few pints before and after the game. My first thought was to go to the replay but decided I can't be bothered. I've decided I might still go out on the train but just stay drinking around Walsall. Anyone fancy a night on the pop and leave Dogface to himself?

Not a bad idea - a game that wouldn't have been played if we'd done the job, so no money lost to the club if nobody turns up. :wink:

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Walker was at his vintage best, three saves of the highest quality. Westlake was our best outfield player by some distance, how that clown Lescott has kept him out the side I dont know, saying that our manager is Chris Hutchings!

Travelling support were fantastic today, backed the team and made there feelings towards dogface known, the highlight being when he waved and got booed. Was right by the incident with our fans. He seems like he can dish it out but doesnt like it back, fair play to the lad who stood up to him

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Cheesebag wrote:how fat was their centre half, the one that missed the penalty....a real pub player that still had dickinson in his pocket. he made wacka look like twiggy.

Sean Gregan i think he's called, on loan from Oldham. When we played at oldham last year i thought he was big then, but if it is him he'd definatly put more on!

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:44 am

Does Hutch watch the DVD in silence?

Maybe we could make that into a chant?

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:26 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:how fat was their centre half, the one that missed the penalty....a real pub player that still had dickinson in his pocket. he made wacka look like twiggy.

Sean Gregan i think he's called, on loan from Oldham. When we played at oldham last year i thought he was big then, but if it is him he'd definatly put more on!

If you're on about Gregan, he is hardly a pub player... He was a player of real class in his prime, he has to be way past 35+ now though, gotta really be getting on. He was an absolute rock at Preston, think he captained them up from League 1 and was real quality in the Championship... I'm sure Albion paid like £2.5m or something for him from Preston and he was their Premier League captain and then captained them back up to the Premier.

He might have put on round the middle and aged, but he'll still have a footballing brain that is 10x the size of Smith, McDonald and Lancashire combined for a centre half. Doing him a bit of a dis-service to call him a pub player.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:52 am

It wasn't Gregan it was steve macnulty who missed the pen according to BBC. He was a fat oaf, think Ian Roper for the first 10 games each season after a long close season and you would have an idea about bhis size. But Roper was good. Having said that he still had that tool Dickinson in his pocket all afternoon. On that showing Dickinson is an abysmal signing and should be sent back tomorrow

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:09 am

PT wrote:

Couple of mentions:

It's a pity the team couldn't display so much passion on the pitch. He is a passionate Saddler and though I don't know who the other guy was he is also obviously a passionate Saddler. We would have been better off taking Dickinson and Taundry off and putting those two on

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:06 am

belgiansaddler wrote:
PT wrote:

Couple of mentions:

It's a pity the team couldn't display so much passion on the pitch. He is a passionate Saddler and though I don't know who the other guy was he is also obviously a passionate Saddler. We would have been better off taking Dickinson and Taundry off and putting those two on

There is passionate, and then there is deluded. There is absolutely no point whatsoever getting behind that team right now. Singing Hutchings out non stop, from the first whistle until the last would be better, although it would probably just have the same effect (nothing)

I didn't go today, and I am glad I didn't bother too, I have nothing positive to offer right now towards that team, and it's management. It is quite simply awful and I refuse to pretend otherwise.

Tinned, if you are serious about tuesday night, then I will join you. Catch the same train (from Cannock)

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:20 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:
PT wrote:

Couple of mentions:

There is passionate, and then there is deluded. There is absolutely no point whatsoever getting behind that team right now. Singing Hutchings out non stop, from the first whistle until the last would be better, although it would probably just have the same effect (nothing)

I didn't go today, and I am glad I didn't bother too, I have nothing positive to offer right now towards that team, and it's management. It is quite simply awful and I refuse to pretend otherwise.

Tinned, if you are serious about tuesday night, then I will join you. Catch the same train (from Cannock)

Pretty much what happened. Anyway I need sleep. If Tracy asks who finished her vodka Blazing i'm blaming you :D

Ernie Mac

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:44 am

My first away game since Milton Keynes last season and over the last 20 years i've usually done at least 8,9 or 10 away days a season.

Following was great, was proud to be a Saddler until the Football Match Started.

Hutch got plenty of Stick. Fair enough. Some of the Dog Face Stuff, and the w*****r chants though, which are like petty childishness i just think make us look numbtys. Hutchings Out etc gets the message over fine.

I think a defeat would have sealed his fate yesterday, looks like this mess rumbles on.

I think Wacka proved to us he's still got it yesterday. Westlakes effort alone made him stand head and shoulders above all others. I wasn't impressed with Macken at the start but slowly winning me around you can tell he is a good pro.

The F Off back to Barnsley chants at Dickinson were out of order. That doesn't really help. Have to remember that all though we see dis-unity on the field. Those guys are mates and share a dressing room. If we are slating one or two (even if partly justified) we affect the group. While they are a pathetic group of players led by an equally pathetic manager i think we have to be careful.

If i was on the pitch yesterday and heard the fans singing play your hearts out for the fans, i'd have told the fans to go bollocks !

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:53 am

i was obviously on about Mcnulty as the fat defender, not Gregan..... Id have him straight in my team now!!!

Cully
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) F A Cup 1st roundSaturday 6/11/10.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:24 am

Terrible performance by Walsall in particular Taundrey. Why is he captain? Clumsy, slow, panics, can't pass, can't mark. Was responsible for giving away the penalty despite having the chance to tackle or block Craney before he even got into the box. Just about sums up everything that is wrong with the Walsall team.

A complete nightmare and definately worse than Merson :twisted:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:34 am

Cully wrote:Terrible performance by Walsall in particular Taundrey. Why is he captain? Clumsy, slow, panics, can't pass, can't mark. Was responsible for giving away the penalty despite having the chance to tackle or block Craney before he even got into the box. Just about sums up everything that is wrong with the Walsall team.

Shite ay it?

I am glad I was drunk.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:05 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Cully wrote:Terrible performance by Walsall in particular Taundrey. Why is he captain? Clumsy, slow, panics, can't pass, can't mark. Was responsible for giving away the penalty despite having the chance to tackle or block Craney before he even got into the box. Just about sums up everything that is wrong with the Walsall team.

guano ay it?

I am glad I was drunk.

It's a good job your beardette remained sober and stunning. The light from the fading sun cast glimses that would have inspired Archimedes to invent the electric beard trimmer two thousand years ealier than Brian Gillette. That apart, I'm glad you were drunk and thus spared the misery I witnessed.

You are truly a loyal Walsall fan to continue to suffer in this way :D

UTS Legend

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:19 am

HKSaddler wrote:
MILO5 wrote:Jesus Christ. Going to be a long afternoon AGAIN .

BBC reporter described challenge as : "disgusting , worst I've ever seen" ....you could hear the disgust in his voice

described as a "tasty" fixture

What a ridiculous statement. He dived in two-footed and deserved the red, but his studs were down and it was below the ankle.

Don't know what the Beeb reporter was watching. More shambolic than anything else.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppfufu99WiE[/youtube]

Anonymouse

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 am

The replay date is the 19th anniversary of a 1-1 draw at Yeovil (before they got into the Football League) in the first round of the FA Cup. The visitors won the replay 1-0. History to repeat itself?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:41 am

Guest wrote:
HKSaddler wrote:
MILO5 wrote:Jesus Christ. Going to be a long afternoon AGAIN .

BBC reporter described challenge as : "disgusting , worst I've ever seen" ....you could hear the disgust in his voice

described as a "tasty" fixture

What a ridiculous statement. He dived in two-footed and deserved the red, but his studs were down and it was below the ankle.

Don't know what the Beeb reporter was watching. More shambolic than anything else.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppfufu99WiE[/youtube]

That's the first time I've seen it, and the only bloke with his foot up and studs showing was the Fleetwood player. Looked more like McGivern was trying to take evasive action, his feet were going to the left of their player, not AT him, and his studs stayed facing down at the ground. The ref obviously saw it as a two-footed challenge, and he is probably right within the laws of the game, but for anyone to describe that as "the worst (tackle) I've ever seen" is just utterly mis-guided and ludicrous. I could show him hundreds, probably thousands, a lot worse than that. As Guest says, more shambolic than violent of intentional.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:Westlake - one of the only players who stood out for me. Looked good going foward towards the end. hope he's not dropped for the next game.

That's what normally happens when the lad has a good game

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Have the same opionion now as i had at the time, was a cowardly tackle, Mcgivern was favourite to get there and although he didn't back out in a richards, dickenson way he went for the man to avoid being clattered himself.

On the match as a whole, cack, we were outclassed from start to finnish, really really lucky to still be in the cup. Wacka has kept us in the cup lets just hope he hasn't get hutch his job.

P.S I was right in front of the hand bags, thought he was right to take offence to songs like 'we're cack and we know we are' -serves no purpose, make our feelings about Hutch known as much as possible, don't think anyone will have a problem with that but, we're cack and we're sick of it, not really gonna inspire the players to gibe that extra 5% is it

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:17 pm

you had to have a few in ya to watch that game, the actually game just passed me by completley apart from the main points, the sending off, penalty and their goal i didnt keep concentration enough to tell you who played that bad or who played good,

the fans were brilliant, loved every minute of it, didnt stop singing from before kick off right until we was back on the mini bus,

like people have said there was some really good chants/songs, i was happy with the end result of madness, thought it was going no where but i seen a few saddlers jumping aronud haha :)

about the fight/ scuffle, nothing much to report, looked more likley to kiss each other then fight,

really glad i went and i was suprised with how many saddlers were there :)

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season