Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (H) League 1 Tuesday 2/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
brummie saddler
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough United (H) League 1 Tuesday 2/11/10.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:02 am

longest, most craziest argument i have seen on here i keep cheking to see if theres something interesting on but everytime its the same old

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 am

brummie saddler wrote:longest, most craziest argument i have seen on here i keep cheking to see if theres something interesting on but everytime its the same old

That's fine, Brummie. Phil is the new Stonnall_Saddler. As Ian Gittins (where is he now?) once said of young Stonnall, "it's like poking a chimp with a stick." :D

morethanuknow
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 am

just like to add marshall as played once in the centre of a 4 man midfield when he came on for jones and taundry moved to right wing and marshall scored against plymouth probably one of our better games

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 am

Richards, though not particularly brilliant has been absolutely streets ahead of anyone else I have seen play for us in central midfield this season. He does always make himself available and does not hide, even when not playing particularly well, which is more than can be said for quite a few members of our squad. Taundry is a poor mans Dean Keates. Marshall has been a massive let down (another O'Keefe) and Lescott was a defender playing in midfield so until now Mattis is probably the only half decent central midfielder Richards has played alongside.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Richards, though not particularly brilliant has been absolutely streets ahead of anyone else I have seen play for us in central midfield this season. He does always make himself available and does not hide, even when not playing particularly well, which is more than can be said for quite a few members of our squad. Taundry is a poor mans Dean Keates. Marshall has been a massive let down (another O'Keefe) and Lescott was a defender playing in midfield so until now Mattis is probably the only half decent central midfielder Richards has played alongside.

I heard someone else say that at the match the other night. Let's get one thing straight, he isn't fit to lace Keate's boots up for him. Taundry really is a headless chicken. Keates on the other hand, really did have some quality. He was never good enough to make the step up to the next level, but as a bottom two division midfielder, he was superb for us. 3 promotions, and he played a huge part in all of them, especially the last one, when he almost dragged us over the line single handed.

Taundry is never a footballer as long as I live. Perfectly summed up the other night, when he went on a headless chicken moment, chasing the ball like a mad man, from a couple of Peterborough players, the second one simply waited till he slid in, knocked the ball to the side of him, and wondered off, while Taundry was somewhere by the advertising boards.

I agree about Mattis, he wasn't brilliant, but we have certainly missed him, for all his stupid tackles.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 am

Through my drunken haze yesterday I swore I could've seen Richards score and produce a few through balls into the channels.

But Phil said it couldn't happen.

I'm as confused as a clean Scouser.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Peterborough United (H) League 1 Tuesday 2/11/10.

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Through my drunken haze yesterday I swore I could've seen Richards score and produce a few through balls into the channels.

:D

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:28 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Through my drunken haze yesterday I swore I could've seen Richards score and produce a few through balls into the channels.

Love is blind. Phils devotion to Richards on this thread must truly be a marriage made in heaven.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 am

Cully wrote:

Love is blind. Phils devotion to Richards on this thread must truly be a marriage made in heaven.

I think it's quite nice. It's like when you see a boy and a girl flirting through a bit of mickey-taking and light-hearted playfulness.

Except that Phil has gone a bit passed the light-heartedness of it now, I think it's make or break for their relationship.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:And whats our record since the start of the season (during which time Matt Richards hasnt missed a game)? He's the only ever present in the engine room of the leagues worst side - what does that say about him?

Manny Smith has been an ever present at centre half - an area where we've been conceding sloppy goals for fun. What makes him exempt from blame?

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:47 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:What makes him exempt from blame?

He's not Matt Richards? :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 pm

tinned wrote:

He's not Matt Richards? :wink:

No one is. Unfortunately.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 am

A couple of things - firstly, everyone can see Manny Smith is a Roperesque 'stopper', put him in a good side, and he'll look half decent, put him in a poor side, and he'll look as bad as the rest.

Secondly, Smith (and the same goes for McDonald) has been much better in the not so distant past - they seem to have had any quality and defensive ability coached out of them. Contrast this to Richards who has never looked any better than average.

Smith & McDonald, with the right coaching, have the ability to be a very good defensive pairing, Richards on the other hand, will never be a decent player because he's too slow and doesnt get stuck in.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Richards on the other hand, will never be a decent player because he's too slow and doesnt get stuck in.

That comment proves just how clueless and naive you are, Phil.

I would end the debate there, but your comments on Smith are just so biased, they're unbelievable. How can you argue that Smith's performances have been hindered by those around him, and yet still criticise Richards' ability despite the fact that he plays in the position where successes are arguably determined most by surrounding team-mates.

If I were to make a guess, I'd suggest that you've never played the game to a half decent standard. That wouldn't matter in most cases, but your definition of quality (fast & gets stuck in) is what I'd expect to hear from a six year old.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Richards on the other hand, will never be a decent player because he's too slow and doesnt get stuck in.

That comment proves just how clueless and naive you are, Phil.

I would end the debate there, but your comments on Smith are just so biased, they're unbelievable. How can you argue that Smith's performances have been hindered by those around him, and yet still criticise Richards' ability despite the fact that he plays in the position where successes are arguably determined most by surrounding team-mates.

If I were to make a guess, I'd suggest that you've never played the game to a half decent standard. That wouldn't matter in most cases, but your definition of quality (fast & gets stuck in) is what I'd expect to hear from a six year old.

Does "getting stuck in" involve pulling a player back by the shirt in the penalty box when 1-0 up against conference opposition in the cup, Tone?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Emmanuelle Smith. Born: Birmingham, England.

Local lad :wink:

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season