Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (H) League 1 Tuesday 2/11/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Re: Peterborough United (H) League 1 Tuesday 2/11/10.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Zippy wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Just had a live phonecall with Percie - could hear a lot of anti-club and Hutchings singing - don't know how loud it is ?

Aren't all phonecalls live.

Or do you have pre-recorded phonecalls in Bangor.

:lol:

How about if I was calling in an airplane? I would be a slight split second ahead in time ;)

Hello Zippy. What a well run club we have.

You have moaned about the stayaways damaging the club. So how do you feel about Jeff Bonser only attending one game this season?

Mal
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Mal wrote:For flip's sake Richards is a LEFT BACK and a liability in midfield, he can go with Hutchings as the new Joe Broad!

Can you not see he hides and plays deeper and deeper in a role where he cannot commit himself, no tackles, no quality, no vision no nothing!

He's not a left back! He was so bad at left back that he got move further forward!

Ever wondered why he never gets injured or booked?

Phil he IS a left back, played most his time for Ipswich in that position and was only used in midfield at the start of 2009/10 cos we were short, then dumped out wide cos he wasn't good enough. However that aside he is the managers Joe Broad and is a reason why we are poor, the midfield is lacking and the team is spineless, add that to the lack of experienced defensive capability and we are easy to beat!

Two years of going backwards, I was calling for Numpty's head this time last year and yet here we are a year down the line in a worse position

God help us

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Did any of you lot even go to the game last night?

We've established now that Phil's verdicts are a complete joke, but Richards was the pick of the midfield from either side last night.
Whether he's playing in his 'proper' or 'preferred' position doesn't matter whilst he remains out best player. You wouldn't want him to displace McGivern anyway, who was excellent last night.

Now if only he didn't have to keep watching defenders hoof the ball over his head because they don't have the ability to play a simple pass?! :idea:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Richards was the pick of the midfield from either side last night.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:55 pm

The defence seems like it's getting training from a mixture of Maradona and Ibrahimovic.

Balls to all the Richards/Taundry stuff. They were both awful last night... Agree with whoever called Taundry a parks player in League One though.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:The defence seems like it's getting training from a mixture of Maradona and Ibrahimovic.

Balls to all the Richards/Taundry stuff. They were both awful last night... Agree with whoever called Taundry a parks player in League One though.

The thing is, they were never going to be good enough, if you go back to the first game of the season thread, I said it in there. I didn't go to that game, but I knew without seeing that those two would never be good enough to be our center midfield. Richards I thought had a mediocre match at best last night, and I have to be honest, I don't think he is as good as some people seem to think on here, but at the same time he isn't the player Phil makes him out to be, he has been one of our better performers this season, that isn't saying that much though.

You can have as good a team as you like, but if the center of midfield is weak, then you are always going to struggle, even more so when you play with proper wide men, which is what we do, or at least Gray is supposed to be a proper wide man.

I know Mattis wasn't really a fans favourite, and I also know he wasn't the greatest player in the world either. I wasn't that fussed when we let him go(or he decided to go) because I thought we would find someone as good or better without much problem. We haven't and it shows, he would walk in to our side now, and isntantly make it better, which shows just how easy the problem is to solve, and it isn't by signing more forwards, and a goalkeeper that was once great.

As for the defence, shocking, I don't think the players are bad as such, but they are failing to do basic defending, and without doubt Smith and Mcdonald have gone backwards, especially Smith, who looked like he could be a useful player, now looks ordinary at best.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:The defence seems like it's getting training from a mixture of Maradona and Ibrahimovic.

The thing is, they were never going to be good enough, if you go back to the first game of the season thread, I said it in there. I didn't go to that game, but I knew without seeing that those two would never be good enough to be our center midfield. Richards I thought had a mediocre match at best last night, and I have to be honest, I don't think he is as good as some people seem to think on here, but at the same time he isn't the player Phil makes him out to be, he has been one of our better performers this season, that isn't saying that much though.

You can have as good a team as you like, but if the center of midfield is weak, then you are always going to struggle, even more so when you play with proper wide men, which is what we do, or at least Gray is supposed to be a proper wide man.

I know Mattis wasn't really a fans favourite, and I also know he wasn't the greatest player in the world either. I wasn't that fussed when we let him go(or he decided to go) because I thought we would find someone as good or better without much problem. We haven't and it shows, he would walk in to our side now, and isntantly make it better, which shows just how easy the problem is to solve, and it isn't by signing more forwards, and a goalkeeper that was once great.

As for the defence, shocking, I don't think the players are bad as such, but they are failing to do basic defending, and without doubt Smith and Mcdonald have gone backwards, especially Smith, who looked like he could be a useful player, now looks ordinary at best.

I think Phil's problem is that he thinks people make him out to be the love child of Roy Keane and Zidane when anybody with half a brain knows we're in serious trouble in our centre bits and that MR is just better than Taundry. Which is like saying being a giver to a baboon is better than being a taker.

Phil bit though, it makes me loff.

I've said it since the fust game, we may not have missed Mattis, but we've missed his style of player.

Mal
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Did any of you lot even go to the game last night?

We've established now that Phil's verdicts are a complete joke, but Richards was the pick of the midfield from either side last night.
Whether he's playing in his 'proper' or 'preferred' position doesn't matter whilst he remains out best player. You wouldn't want him to displace McGivern anyway, who was excellent last night.

Now if only he didn't have to keep watching defenders hoof the ball over his head because they don't have the ability to play a simple pass?! :idea:

Rob I assume you are being ironic cos this can't be a true appraisal of the performance?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Richards was the pick of the midfield from either side last night.

Who was then, Phil?

Time and time again you slate Richards without actually naming a player who played better than him.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:53 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Who was then, Phil?

Time and time again you slate Richards without actually naming a player who played better than him.

Richard Taundry for one! He wasnt particularly good 1st half, but he was one of those who came out in the 2nd half and was everywhere - he got down both wings, chased, chased and chased, got crosses in etc. - whereas Richards (who apparently covered every blade of grass) barely moved from the middle, made one tackle (that he lost) and thats it! Anyone can stand still in midfield, wait for the ball to be passed to you, and play it sideways.

Julian Gray for another, he scored, and could have added a 2nd if it werent for a good block.

Just have a look at the highlights on the BBC, and please tell me if you see Matt Richards break out of a jog, make a tackle, or get in to the area (Whereas you see Taundry in the area, having a shot blocked and in general doing one hell of the lot more than Richards) - But hey, Richards was the best player on the park :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 157008.stm

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:23 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Just have a look at the highlights on the BBC, and please tell me if you see Matt Richards break out of a jog, make a tackle, or get in to the area (Whereas you see Taundry in the area, having a shot blocked and in general doing one hell of the lot more than Richards) - But hey, Richards was the best player on the park :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 157008.stm

This is getting beyond hilarious, phil. Two minutes of footage, in which we see Taundry shoot (rather tamely and towards a part of the goal that was never going to see the ball hit the net) and we see Richards play a tidy ball forward just prior to that that helps create the chance. This is your 'evidence'? "You see Taundry in the area" (so what?), "having a shot blocked" (yes) "and in general doing one hell of the (sic) lot more than Richards" (not sure what you refer to 'in general', seeing as neither player appeared at all in the first minute of footage and you'd already cited Taundry's 'contribution' (such as it is) from the second minute.

With this as your "evidence" in this particular case, stick to the McCanns, Hercule.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:30 pm

King Crimson wrote:This is getting beyond hilarious, phil. Two minutes of footage, in which we see Taundry shoot (rather tamely and towards a part of the goal that was never going to see the ball hit the net) and we see Richards play a tidy ball forward just prior to that that helps create the chance. This is your 'evidence'? "You see Taundry in the area" (so what?), "having a shot blocked" (yes) "and in general doing one hell of the (sic) lot more than Richards" (not sure what you refer to 'in general', seeing as neither player appeared at all in the first minute of footage and you'd already cited Taundry's 'contribution' (such as it is) from the second minute.

With this as your "evidence" in this particular case, stick to the McCanns, Hercule.

Suck my kiss Marple.

Funny how all "evidence" there is points to Richards being shockingly bad, but hey, your in denial. He's the worst midfielder, in the worst team in the league. The video might only be 2 mins, but you can see how the "covered every blade of glass" line was an utter piece of crap - he barely moves in the video...but noooooo it's only 2mins so it's not representative.

Just admit it, he's crap, but you dont like being wrong, so you defend him to the hilt.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:37 pm

that 3rd goal is a joke

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:This is getting beyond hilarious, phil. Two minutes of footage, in which we see Taundry shoot (rather tamely and towards a part of the goal that was never going to see the ball hit the net) and we see Richards play a tidy ball forward just prior to that that helps create the chance. This is your 'evidence'? "You see Taundry in the area" (so what?), "having a shot blocked" (yes) "and in general doing one hell of the (sic) lot more than Richards" (not sure what you refer to 'in general', seeing as neither player appeared at all in the first minute of footage and you'd already cited Taundry's 'contribution' (such as it is) from the second minute.

Suck my dong Marple.

Funny how all "evidence" there is points to Richards being shockingly bad, but hey, your in denial. He's the worst midfielder, in the worst team in the league. The video might only be 2 mins, but you can see how the "covered every blade of glass" line was an utter piece of crud - he barely moves in the video...but noooooo it's only 2mins so it's not representative.

Just admit it, he's crud, but you dont like being wrong, so you defend him to the hilt.

It's actually less than one minute that we can see either Taundry or Richards in shot. By the way, since our powerhouse/battler/local lad has returned to the midfield, how have we fared? Here's a clue: P 3 W 0 D 0 .... I'll let you fill in the rest.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:47 pm

King Crimson wrote:It's actually less than one minute that we can see either Taundry or Richards in shot. By the way, since our powerhouse/battler/local lad has returned to the midfield, how have we fared? Here's a clue: P 3 W 0 D 0 .... I'll let you fill in the rest.

And whats our record since the start of the season (during which time Matt Richards hasnt missed a game)? He's the only ever present in the engine room of the leagues worst side - what does that say about him?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:01 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:It's actually less than one minute that we can see either Taundry or Richards in shot. By the way, since our powerhouse/battler/local lad has returned to the midfield, how have we fared? Here's a clue: P 3 W 0 D 0 .... I'll let you fill in the rest.

And whats our record since the start of the season (during which time Matt Richards hasnt missed a game)? He's the only ever present in the engine room of the leagues worst side - what does that say about him?

R Taundry P9 7(FL) 2(Cups) 741 minutes on the pitch. Goals 0 Assists 0 Yellow Cards 0 Red Cards 0

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:02 pm

And I thought it was KC who was meant to be the bitter rateater.

I'm confused now.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 pm

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

R Taundry P9 7(FL) 2(Cups) 741 minutes on the pitch. Goals 0 Assists 0 Yellow Cards 0 Red Cards 0

Because Matt Richards 1 goal towers over Taundrys record :lol: :lol:

Any other pathetic attempts to justify Richards being crap? Maybe it was slightly too damp on Tuesday?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:09 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Because Matt Richards 1 goal towers over Taundrys record :lol: :lol:

Any other pathetic attempts to justify Richards being crap? Maybe it was slightly too damp on Tuesday?

Just the same as 1 goal in a football match is better than 0.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

But wasnt it you the other day telling me that Richards is an attacking midfielder, whereas Taundry is the defensive one? (and you went on to say thats why Ricahrds never tackles, tracks back, is slow etc) - you can't have it both ways. Is 1 goal in 15 games a good return from the - what some would have you believe - our best player this season? On average, thats 3 over the entire season...f*cking hell, he's brilliant...

I'll repeat...any other excuses as to why Richards is crap? Was it too windy for him? Did the wind stop him running?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:18 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

But wasnt it you the other day telling me that Richards is an attacking midfielder, whereas Taundry is the defensive one? (and you went on to say thats why Ricahrds never tackles, tracks back, is slow etc) - you can't have it both ways. Is 1 goal in 15 games a good return from the - what some would have you believe - our best player this season? On average, thats 3 over the entire season...f*cking hell, he's brilliant...

I'll repeat...any other excuses as to why Richards is crap? Was it too windy for him? Did the wind stop him running?

He's the attacking "one" out of the two.

Bless you Phil, this dead horse needs flogging though.

You're actually sound like your saying that Taundry is some cover all. He isn't. Richards is better, not by much. My fun in this is to see you call people names and generally act like a bag of enema water to people on here.

So, thanks.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:He's the attacking "one" out of the two.

You're actually sound like your saying that Taundry is some cover all. He isn't. Richards is better, not by much. My fun in this is to see you call people names and generally act like a bag of enema water to people on here.

So, thanks.

Taundry, he's not particularly good at the moment but at least he tries - he closes down, harries, gets stuck in - which you cannot say for our attacking midfield superstar Matt Richards, attacking midfielders, despite your gargantuan knowledge of the game, are still suppose to harry, mark, close down, tackle and chase also - they might not do it very well, but they still have to do it because otherwise you end up with one midfielder chasing everything, and the other standing there going through the motions when we dont have the ball - which is exactly what Richards does. Ever wondered why Paul Scholes picks up so many yellow cards? He's an attacking midfielder, but he still tackles, chases and marks (albeit not very well) but makes it that bit more difficult for a team to dominate Man U in midfield.

Do you ever see Richards take it past anyone? No, because he cant.

Do you ever see Richards play a defence splitting pass? No, because he cant.

Do you ever see Richards tackle? No.

Do you ever see Richards win headers? No.

As a midfield presence, he is none existant, and that is a massive part of the reason we lose so many midfield battles, and thus games. At least Taundry puts himself about, makes his presence felt. Even the other night, Hutchings moved Devaney in to the middle and he looked a better prospect there than Richards.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm

I gave you an honourable out.

You just keep going. Weather's perking up around Exile's way.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I gave you an honourable out.

You just keep going. Weather's perking up around Exile's way.

Aww, sorry, have I proved you wrong. Never mind, maybe you'll be right one day.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Peterborough United (H) League 1 Tuesday 2/11/10.

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:51 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Do you ever see Richards play a defence splitting pass? No, because he cant.

Except for that one you drew our attention to on the highlights v Peterborough. :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Do you ever see Richards play a defence splitting pass? No, because he cant.

Except for that one you drew our attention to on the highlights v Peterborough. :D

Comedy gold.

I thought this match thread was long as people unloaded on the manager, but it turns out it's a good old-fashioned fan slanging match. :D Keep up the good work!

ke127106

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Lone Striker

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Have observed this debate with much amusement and to be honest Phil I do wonder if you watch the same game as the rest of us. Whilst Richards is not the best midfielder in the league he is streets ahead of Taundry in footballing terms. Taundry brings one thing to the party and that is energy, and for that he cannot be faulted and this will allow him to play at a certain level of football, unfortunately not league one. All of Taundry's football at a younger age was played at full back and I do feel that at some stage in his career somebody has made a bad decision to turn him into a midfield player, in this role he will always have limitations and currently I do feel he is not the answer.

Richards does have ability and is always trying to be available to receive the ball and pass to a teammate, sometimes this is his downfall as he plays alongside players who do not always give him a simple option and where as Taundry would lump the ball forward this is clearly not something that Richards will do. It is not unusual for Richards to hold on to the ball waiting for the right pass, Phil I suggest next time this happens just have a look and see what options are available, you may then start to realise that currently we do not have enough options and movement and this is not the fault of Richards.

You are right he is not the quickest player in the world and does not throw himself into last ditch challenges but having seen most games this season I know who should be first choice in central midfield - if we could find someone of quality to play alongside Richards I am sure we would see a better Matt Richards than now, not sure that would be the case with Taundry.

As a Walsall supporter I will continue to support both players fully but Phil you do need to open your eyes a bit more and maybe you will begin to see what many others currently do.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:He's the attacking "one" out of the two.

So, thanks.

Taundry, he's not particularly good at the moment but at least he tries - he closes down, harries, gets stuck in - which you cannot say for our attacking midfield superstar Matt Richards, attacking midfielders, despite your gargantuan knowledge of the game, are still suppose to harry, mark, close down, tackle and chase also - they might not do it very well, but they still have to do it because otherwise you end up with one midfielder chasing everything, and the other standing there going through the motions when we dont have the ball - which is exactly what Richards does. Ever wondered why Paul Scholes picks up so many yellow cards? He's an attacking midfielder, but he still tackles, chases and marks (albeit not very well) but makes it that bit more difficult for a team to dominate Man U in midfield.

Do you ever see Richards take it past anyone? No, because he cant. Neither can Taundry

Do you ever see Richards play a defence splitting pass? No, because he cant. Taundry never does

Do you ever see Richards tackle? No. Yes i do see him tackle, and Taundry can't tackle!

Do you ever see Richards win headers? No. Yes, more than Taundry

As a midfield presence, he is none existant, and that is a massive part of the reason we lose so many midfield battles, and thus games. At least Taundry puts himself about, makes his presence felt. Even the other night, Hutchings moved Devaney in to the middle and he looked a better prospect there than Richards.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:24 am

Lone Striker wrote:Whilst Richards is not the best midfielder in the league he is streets ahead of Taundry in footballing terms.

:lol: :lol: So it was Richards and not Taundry who tried to take the game to Peterborough was it? It was Richards who you see having a shot blocked on the line in the highlights was it?

Lone Striker wrote:All of Taundry's football at a younger age was played at full back

So was Richards' - whats your point?

Lone Striker wrote:Richards does have ability and is always trying to be available to receive the ball and pass to a teammate

Thats because he stands still, and because he cant run, opposition teams dont find it hard to close him down. Being "able to pass to a teammate" qualifies a professional footballer as being a good player does it?!?!? Now I really have heard it all. You've been watching Walsall too long. :lol: :lol:

Lone Striker wrote:sometimes this is his downfall as he plays alongside players who do not always give him a simple option

Again, another excuse - "Richards looks crap because of the player playing alongside him" - he's had Mattis, Marshall, Lescott etc play alongside in in midfield, and he's never looked any good. Cue the next excuse.

Lone Striker wrote:Taundry would lump the ball forward this is clearly not something that Richards will do.

Comedy gold! :lol: :lol: You're telling me Richards never just lumps it forwards? Thats all he does most of the time!

Lone Striker wrote:Phil I suggest next time this happens just have a look and see what options are available, you may then start to realise that currently we do not have enough options and movement and this is not the fault of Richards.

Excuse no2!! So it's not Richard fault, it's the whole midfields fault that he's crap! Riiiiight!

I am quite capable of seeing what Richards does thank you very much. On Tuesday night, especially during the 2nd half, he sat further back that Taundry, presumably to allow Richards and his fantastic passing ability to control the game. However, all he did was stay very static in the middle of the park, didnt chase anything down, didnt play one defence splitting pass (AND KC, the pass in the highlights is NOT defence splitting, thats just a pass). There was even a point when Richards got hold of the ball about 25 yards out, passed it to Taundry (Richards momentum at this point took him further forward), Taundry played the ball back to where any decent midfielder would have run (as in a perfect one-two) and what did Richards do? He stopped.

If you’re going to play as a deep lying midfielder in the Carrick, Mikel, Huddlestone, Alonso role – then your role is as the midfield ‘sweeper’ in effect – you need to pick up the lose balls, play quick concise passes. When your team does not have possession you are the last line of defence before the defence, so you need to mark tightly, close down quickly and tackle hard. Richards cannot do any of this.

If you’re going to play as an attacking midfielder in say the Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes role, then you still need to chase and harry (like any midfielder) but you also need to be very mobile, you need to be able to bust a gut to keep up with attacks, you need to get ahead of your strikers when your strikers have come deep or wide to collect the ball, you need to be quite a nippy player, very alert, the kind of player that can get to the ball first. You don’t necessarily have to be the best tackler in the world, but you still need to chase down, mark and harry.

Lone Striker wrote:You are right he is not the quickest player in the world and does not throw himself into last ditch challenges

“Not the quickest in the world” … I’ve seen milk floats move quicker. The reason he never gets a yellow card or “throws himself in to last ditch challenges” is because he’s never, ever, presents a competitive element in a challenge – he’s weak in the challenge and slow.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season