Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 30/10/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Saturday 30/10/10.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:48 am

Duke wrote:
JackoSaddler wrote:http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=45697

Says it all really

"It took them until the 60th minute to realise they didn't need 4 defenders to mark one strike"

Says all you need to know about Hutchings

In all fairness though, that's easy for them to say. Without changing the system, we forced a great save from their keeper, had Gray mess up when clean through, & saw Nicholls miscue a free header right at the death.

Had we changed our system, we'd have played right into their hands. That's why they're not happy - we despite losing, we weren't the whipping boys they were hoping for.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 am

Rob, you have no doubt been to more matches than me this season. This is not a discussion about number of matches seen and I admit you are probably in a better position to judge that performance over the course of our season than I am. But today i thought their manager changed their system very effectively, ours didn't.

Players like Jones and Gray are never going to be the best defensive wide players in the world. Both of them can rip any defence in this league to pieces on their day. If you make space for players like that they will exploit it, especially against 10 men. If they exploit space they will be putting balls into the box for Macken to run onto or getting crosses in for Macken to feed off. I didn't see any of that today. What is the point of playing wingers if you dont give them the ball and tell them to get to the byeline? I could understand the tacticts (such as they were) to a point if we had no skilful wide players in the team. The job of any manager is to get the best out of what he has got.

When we had a man up we should not have gone at them hell for leather but we should of gone for them with the wide men. You are right, we could have sneaked something but it would of been more by luck than judgement. I have no problem with "more by luck than judgement" results now and again. But I can honestly say there was not a single point in time during that match that I thought we would score.

With out limited resources we need to be organised, motivated and intelligent in the way we play. Though I could see some desire from most of the players today, anything at all from the management was lacking.

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:20 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Duke wrote:
JackoSaddler wrote:http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=45697

Says it all really

"It took them until the 60th minute to realise they didn't need 4 defenders to mark one strike"

In all fairness though, that's easy for them to say. Without changing the system, we forced a great save from their keeper, had Gray mess up when clean through, & saw Nicholls miscue a free header right at the death.

Had we changed our system, we'd have played right into their hands. That's why they're not happy - we despite losing, we weren't the whipping boys they were hoping for.

I disagree completely and to have an anchor man in midfield (who is a full-back) once they've gone down to ten men is just plain daft!

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm

tinned wrote:Nearly crashed the car on the way home from a family day out. Jusr tuned in to hear Dogface assuring us he was happy with the performance. Any manager that is happy with a defeat should be sacked on the spot.

Even under Merson's disasterous tenure I remember pockets of fans defending him. This doesn't seem apparent at all in this situation.

Top marks for Daz The Dingle Hale, he seems genuinely just has angry as us (plus he also expressed sadness at the bulldozing of my old local - The Greyhound in Burntwood), perhaps he's not such a bad 'un afterall :D

Dogface out - NOW!

That was a cak pub. Nags Head was always better

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:40 pm

myleftknee wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Duke wrote:

Says it all really

I disagree completely and to have an anchor man in midfield (who is a full-back) once they've gone down to ten men is just plain daft!

Say what you like about that decision, but they had Damien Johnson & Joey Gudjonsson in midfield. Taundry & Richards would have had no chance of having any impact on the game against them without our extra man.

The disappointment was that Jones had a stinker & the manager ruined any momentum we'd started to build up with his substitutions.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 pm

First chance i've had to give a report.

Pretty pathetic again, if marginally better. Yet again, Hutch's non existant tactical nous cost us a better attempt at getting something from the game. The second Huddersfield went down to 10 we should have taken Lescott off and stuck Reid up top with Macken who was incredibly isolated and wasn't having his best game. When we actually took Lescott off (he didn't have a bad game by the way) and stuck Nicholls up top, we did have a bit of a go. I've got to admit as soon as i saw Devaney missing aswell as Westlake AND Lescott in the team i though 5-4-1 and gave up any hope of even having a shot at our goal.

As for the actual game. Well, it was boring. Thought we had a good opening 10 minutes, Taundry shot over and Jones looked lively. Didn't see much of the red card but from what i can gather, it was a red. Then the goal, out of nowhere, no threat but typically poor organisation, not following the runner and then what looked in the ground to be poor goalkeeping all led to an un-deserved 1-0 lead. In fairness to Walker, it was a good strike and it did swerve a tad and went right in the corner, im not sure if his view was blocked, but if non of the above were present, then it was a slow poor piece of keeping. The rest of the half was boring keep ball from both sides in different periods. Still can't understand why Reid isn't on for a midfielder (huddersfield didn't look anything more than average)

Second half, we had a bit more of a crack at it to be fair. Lescott had a rasper tipped round the post and we broke away down the left a few times with Gray, who has the pace of a grandma. There was one point when he broke away, 4 on 3 and he and instead of going more direct his lack of pace showed and he dribbled it wide before putting a poor cross in. If that was Devaney, you can almost guarantee we'd have equalised. Smith had a ball fall to his feet in which he showed is pathetic footballing ability and dragged a terrible volley straight into the ground from about 6 yards, the keeper must have been laughing. Then, our tactical genuis finally opens his eyes and brings Reid on, FOR MACKEN! How deluded can you be? He then decides to bring Nicholls on and finally we go 4-4-2 and finally pen Huddersfield in for a period of time, again without really creating a thing. Richards put a couple of lovely crosses in that the defence dealt with excelently and Nicholls headed wide in the last seconds, if he was 2 inches taller he'd have buried it.

All in all, it just wasn't good enough. Poor tactically, poor technically and lacking pace (bar Jones) throughout. Reid was dreadful when he came on and looked more interested in pushing Peter Clarke during any aerial battle. Gray has the pace of an under nourished Elephant, despite working hard defensively for the side.

Of the few positives. Lescott was minorly better in the holding role. Jones got 90 minutes and looked good in the first half, before fading in the second and the defence looked a tiny bit more composed and organised under Walker.

Ratings

Walker 7 - Didn't really have much to do and looked a little suspect and slow for the goal, but his collection low down and organisation looked okay.

Westlake 6 - Did okay, tried to get forward as much as possible but he generally hoofs too much. Should of done better when he hesitated on a volley when in a good position.

Smith 6 - Still looks nothing like he can be. His lack of footballing skills is frightening. He can't pass, can't shoot and insists of aiming wasteful hoof balls at every opportunity from the defence.

McDonald 6 - Won a fair few headers in the air, but is still clumsy at times. His constant hoofing does nothing for the team either.

McGivern 8 - Man of the match for me. Worked hard, got forward well and has a decent left foot. If he can improve his defence he'l turn out to be a good player at this level.

Jones 7 - Had a good first half, linked up well with Macken and had a couple of shots that didn't go too far wide. Faded in the second half, think their manager told the winger and fullback to play close attention to him.

Lescott 6 - Was a bit better. Generally looked composed on the ball and linked together a few nice moves, but still looks lightweight to me. It's asif he could lose the ball at any second as well.

Taundry 6 - The game passed him completely by at times and at other time he got stuck in well. Had a couple of long distance efforts, the one in the second half annoying me as we had the chance to create a better opportunity.

Richards 6 - See above. Some nice crosses towards the end, although his lack of pace is incredibly frustrating.

Gray 6 - Looked a little more interested than in recent weeks and his defensive work was pretty good. His lack of pace again, is frustrating. He get's into good positions only to mess it up through a lack of pace.

Macken 6 - The ball didn't really stick to him, meaning we lacked an outlet to hold the ball in the same way Jabo etc would have. Did have a couple of decent efforts and he must wonder what the HELL he's doing surrounded by a brain dead moron of a manager and some inept clueless idiots. Given the service he'd score a ruck full.

Subs :
Nicholls - didn't do a lot. Missed a header that he was unlucky with late on.
Reid - Dreadful , it doesn't work for him back to goal. No spring, no pace and i think he could lose a stone.

I think he'l be gone when we get humiliated Tuesday and even more humiliated saturday.

:D

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Cully wrote:I cannot believe how unlucky we were, for a start we were without the new pairing of Arthur and Margaret who had to attend the Saturday club in Bloxwich to give a lecture on positional play and the effective use of substitutes to an enthralled audience of pensioners. Then the referee conspired against us to create an unfair balance by sending off their star striker for polishing his elbow on Smiths face, then there was the unfair advantage of Huddersfield playing football not to mention the disgraceful lack of support from the home fans towards Walsall. Our fans never contributed a single pass or tackle to make things worse as we pressed for that vital throw in which could have changed the outcome of the whole match. How Nicholls missed that chance in the first minute of the match when he was unmarked on the touchline measuring the size of his head I'll never know :roll:

Chris Hutchings must be the unluckiest man on the Earth after that display, the FA should look no further for Fabios replacement, I don't know how he has been overlooked after all these years after his success at Bradford, Wigan and somewhere else where he was also very unlucky.

I can't wait for Tumultuous Tuesday :!:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Zece_WFC wrote:RUBBISH! Get him gone now... he just has no idea at all....

Second half we played better but I just couldn't see a goal coming at all!

At least I got my shot on target at half time after running around a broom for 10 times 8)

And this was our away support taken on the pitch at half time....

http://yfrog.com/n8photo0306uj

omg that looks terrible

ws3
Glitterati

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:45 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
Zece_WFC wrote:RUBBISH! Get him gone now... he just has no idea at all....

Second half we played better but I just couldn't see a goal coming at all!

At least I got my shot on target at half time after running around a broom for 10 times 8)

And this was our away support taken on the pitch at half time....

http://yfrog.com/n8photo0306uj

omg that looks terrible

Mind you. it was taken at half time, there was that number again in the bar.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season