Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 23/10/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Stu
UTS Legend

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 23/10/10.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:06 pm

latviancheese wrote:How can his desk not be clear on monday?

By not cleaning it up I imagine. :)

Sorry, got to have some sarcasm after a result like this... I'd like to think he'll have the balls to resign, but I highly doubt it.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Perhaps it's plan. get us in the 4th division, going for promotion and let the good times role.

SWS1

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Worra fewking good plan. It's going well, obviously.
:evil:

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:32 pm

SWS1 wrote:Worra fewking good plan. It's going well, obviously.
:evil:

yep, swimmingly to plan

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Im going to kill my self, tra!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 pm

I was surprised he didn't get the chop after the Yeovil result - I'll be astonished if he doesn't go after this farce.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:39 pm

Describing a Saddlers performance as anything other than abysmal, dire or dismal has sadly become a rarity in recent weeks. There’s little or no point in dwelling upon yet another abject failure played out before a dwindling band of hardy disenfranchised souls scattered across the bleak windswept terraces of the Banks’ stadium, other than to say it was akin to watching the final moments of a dear old friend desperately clinging to the last vestiges of life, but they, like you, know, deep down, that all hope is gone. If they were a dog, you’d do the descent thing, but the aren’t, and you have to endure the awful spectacle to its final and sad conclusion.

We are finally reaping the bitter harvest of the events played out during the final minutes of the transfer deadline of January 2008, and whatever the merits of that last minute piece of business its actions have spread like a cancer both on and off the field.

It’s only my opinion, of course, but could somebody point me towards a silver lining please....don’t all rush at once.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Just got in. Absolutely unacceptable performance today. The word 'statuesque' best describes our team. There was precious little movement, invention or endeavour throughout. The warning signs were there early on when a ball from out wide, that was always destined to fizz across the six yard box was left unattended. They closed us down, picked up the pieces of loose balls, capitalised on uninterested refereeing by out-muscling us throughout. In short, they wanted it more.

Some players need to take a long, hard look in the mirror to reflect on their contributions today, but in the final analysis the blame lies fair and square with the managerial team. Hutchings knew the importance of this game, that we were coming into it with a flicker of form, and he failed to produce a team capable of beating the team at the foot of the league who were clearly more than a bit suspect at the back. Having set out a team that didn't compete, he compounded matters through bizarre substitutions that diluted our attack further as we chased the game. Reid's reaction to being subbed off showed exactly the lack of respect the manager now commands with his players.

Player by player:
Brain: Some awful decision making yet again. He's a mistake waiting to happen whenever he gets near the ball
Lescott: Captain? Joke. He showed his interest in this fixture when he allowed a rolling ball to go out off his foot for a throw in to them. Message to captain fantastic: get yourself off Twitter, and get yourself in the gym. Lightweight, poor positioning, poor distribution. Come back Rhys Weston, all is forgiven!
Smith: Poor. Only plan is to clear his lines.
Davies: Felt for him with the slip, and had done well until then. However, if he's going to take a knock every game, he's no use to us.
McGivern: Did OK in my view. I get teh feeling that if he played with better options around him, he'd be good.
Devaney: Good positive attitude, sometimes held the ball too much rather than making a pass. Good assist and nearly got another.
Richards: Not his usual self, but never went hiding.
Taundry: Not really effective, and nearly cost us dearly with an error that only was recovered through a Brain save. I'd stick him at right back.
Jones: Flashes of positivity, but looks ragged at times.
Macken: Worked hard, took his goal well. Must wonder what he's doing here.
Reid: Played well. If you find yourself subbed off for Alex Nicholls, you should feel insulted.

Subs: MacDonald did OK. Grigg ditto. Nicholls poor.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:51 pm

No-one had a decent claim for man of the match today, but the only way Manny Smith can possibly have won it was if they held a lucky dip raffle.

We're going down, absolutely no doubt about it.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:53 pm

For Boner's underling reading this, I dont like you very much mate and nearly became a stayaway when you decided to ban real supporters last season.

I know that you have an aversion to listening to fans, but you have a greater love for your pocket.

That was one of the greater embarassments I've had as a Walsall fan. I didn't want to be there, the players didn't want to play and I dont think even our esteemed tactician fancied it.

So Jeef, sack the gimp now. Until Dogface has gone, I ain't gonna disturb the loose change in your pocket with any more of my readies.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:55 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Walsall 1 Tranmere 5

Not a bad prediction

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:56 pm

HOW ON EARTH can he blame a 1-4 home defeat on bad luck?

Having just calmed down I always hear his interviews and it makes me worse than I was orignally! :evil:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:Describing a Saddlers performance as anything other than abysmal, dire or dismal has sadly become a rarity in recent weeks. There’s little or no point in dwelling upon yet another abject failure played out before a dwindling band of hardy disenfranchised souls scattered across the bleak windswept terraces of the Banks’ stadium, other than to say it was akin to watching the final moments of a dear old friend desperately clinging to the last vestiges of life, but they, like you, know, deep down, that all hope is gone. If they were a dog, you’d do the descent thing, but the aren’t, and you have to endure the awful spectacle to its final and sad conclusion.

We are finally reaping the bitter harvest of the events played out during the final minutes of the transfer deadline of January 2008, and whatever the merits of that last minute piece of business its actions have spread like a cancer both on and off the field.

It’s only my opinion, of course, but could somebody point me towards a silver lining please....don’t all rush at once.

Top post, Salop.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:

It's the easiest thing in the world to pick and choose other teams whose fortunes have contrasted with our own in the last few years but it's hard to watch Doncaster taking Sheffield United apart with ease on the telly at the moment without being reminded of that wonderful 3-2 away win at the Keepmoat during the season Salop mentions above. :(

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:42 pm

only got there at half time

the game seemed like a big horrible blur, nothing to get happy about

the atmosphere was good and i enjoyed that, its my first game since chesterfield in the cup.

my mates said it was one of the best atmospheres of the season and i enjoyed that part of the match

one thing that did annoy me that wasnt football related was...... the hutchings out chants started after the second goal fair enough, they were very loud and alot of people joined in, then we scored fair enough, i kept the CH out chants going but found out that people wernt so keen to join in :?, then waited for us to concede more goals before coming back with the chants

what on earth is wrong with our fans if you want something and believe in it, you do so come rain or shine, it seemed so fake the way we went all hush when we got a goal.

also we got the goal when we were singing at our loudest, so why not carry on, why change ?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:45 pm

brummie saddler wrote:only got there at half time

the atmosphere was good and i enjoyed that, its my first game since chesterfield in the cup.

my mates said it was one of the best atmospheres of the season and i enjoyed that part of the match

one thing that did annoy me that wasnt football related was...... the hutchings out chants started after the second goal fair enough, they were very loud and alot of people joined in, then we scored fair enough, i kept the CH out chants going but found out that people wernt so keen to join in :?, then waited for us to concede more goals before coming back with the chants

what on earth is wrong with our fans if you want something and believe in it, you do so come rain or shine, it seemed so fake the way we went all hush when we got a goal.

also we got the goal when we were singing at our loudest, so why not carry on, why change ?

Because our supporters for what ever reason, refuse to support the players. End of.

Going quiet with the CH out chants after the goal is probably just human nature, I think most sets of supporters would be the same on that one.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:48 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:only got there at half time

Because our supporters for what ever reason, refuse to support the players. End of.

Going quiet with the CH out chants after the goal is probably just human nature, I think most sets of supporters would be the same on that one.

but does carrying on with the CH out chants after we get a goal prove a point that its too late and we want you out, going quiet after the goal just shows uncertainty in what we want

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:49 pm

If this doesn't spell the end for Hutchings nothing will .

Disgraceful

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Pathetic, pointless, clueless, useless. All words that come nowhere near describing the disgusting non-performance today. I've seen plenty of poor Walsall teams but they've at least generally had a plan that they are trying to stick to. This lot go out on the pitch like 11 blokes on a Sunday morning who are just told "go out there and play your own game". And now I hear Hutchings is trotting out his usual pathetic excuses to try and cover up his obvious failings.

If he's not gone on Monday morning every fan should be contacting the club to make their feelings known.

JackoSaddler

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Man of the match was Manny Smith.........

bush360
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:20 pm

as soon he took Reid off for Nicholls, the game was up. He should of considering attacking options not replacing with inferior players

Did we have another shot after Grigg came on, no offence to the young lad but he really is not what you want to see coming on

Someone said Nicholls off to Rushall, what Rushall done to deserve that!!!!

Lets hope the man will put Huutch and Martin on the road to somewhere else

But who will take this on????

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:24 pm

bush360 wrote:as soon he took Reid off for Nicholls, the game was up. He should of considering attacking options not replacing with inferior players

Did we have another shot after Grigg came on, no offence to the young lad but he really is not what you want to see coming on

Someone said Nicholls off to Rushall, what Rushall done to deserve that!!!!

Lets hope the man will put Huutch and Martin on the road to somewhere else

But who will take this on????

grigg actually had a good chance to scored but just put it wide

i think we had about 5 shots seconds half

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:49 pm

King Crimson wrote:Lescott: Captain? Joke. He showed his interest in this fixture when he allowed a rolling ball to go out off his foot for a throw in to them. Message to captain fantastic: get yourself off Twitter, and get yourself in the gym. Lightweight, poor positioning, poor distribution. Come back Rhys Weston, all is forgiven!

To be fair to @aaronlescott he hasn't tweeted tonight. Mind you, club captain @darrenbyfield is enjoying X-Factor tonight as demonstrated to his followers. Still, he was happily tweeting at half time as we sat 1-0 down at home to the bottom side in the league. Bless. Hope @taundz and @juliangray1 have fun too.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:00 pm

King Crimson wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Lescott: Captain? Joke. He showed his interest in this fixture when he allowed a rolling ball to go out off his foot for a throw in to them. Message to captain fantastic: get yourself off Twitter, and get yourself in the gym. Lightweight, poor positioning, poor distribution. Come back Rhys Weston, all is forgiven!

To be fair to @aaronlescott he hasn't tweeted tonight. Mind you, club captain @darrenbyfield is enjoying X-Factor tonight as demonstrated to his followers. Still, he was happily tweeting at half time as we sat 1-0 down at home to the bottom side in the league. Bless. Hope @taundz and @juliangray1 have fun too.

Mr Lescott is busy on fb at the min adding 4 new friends

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:06 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:Perhaps it's plan. get us in the 4th division, going for promotion and let the good times role.

The good times wouldn't role though, we'd go down, be pulling 2-3k crowds and fit right into League Two!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Dogface. Just go, please. How can he show his face again?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Mr Lescott is busy on fb at the min adding 4 new friends

Is Enoch Showumni one of them? He certainly was nice to him, Thomas-More and chums all afternoon.
I honestly think he may well be the worst right back I've seen at the club. And I've seen Chris Palmer.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Just got back.

Travelled through a monsoon in South Wales this morning looking forward to 3 points, so I thought.

Where to start?

Trying to be positive, Macken and Reid huffed and puffed in the first half but with little penetration, Devaney looked like he could be dangerous (although I feared he might have gone for the challenge which led to a yellw card), and Davies got amongst them.

As for the rest, Richards was busy as usual but gave away posession too often, Brain made a couple of decent saves but continues to be on a different wavelength to his defence. Not sure how Smith was MOM :? Jones was a shadow of the player of last season.

Lescott is a liability at fullback, continually being caught out of position. Why can't Hutchings see this? The signs were there in the first couple of minutes when a cross from his side flew across the six yard box with Brain and defenders looking at each other. No surprise that Tranmere exploited this weakness throughout the match, culminating in the penalty decision.

Hutchings substitutions were baffling and clearly unpopular.

The team has no confidence, is riddled with individual mistakes and completely disorganised, particularly when defending.

Despite the above, there is enough there to get out of this mess with someone new in charge. Surely JW Bonser will act now.

We made a very poor team look good today - completely unnacceptable.

On the way out, there were a few hardy souls chanting outside the Bonser suite, but most were just trundling off home, heads shaking in disbelief.

One last thing. Looking around the ground I cannot see how there were above 3300 there today. My guess was somewhere near the 2800 mark.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:14 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Looking around the ground I cannot see how there were above 3300 there today. My guess was somewhere near the 2800 mark.

Agreed, I was very surprised when the crowd was announced, definitely seemed sub 3,000

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:39 pm

longdogs wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Looking around the ground I cannot see how there were above 3300 there today. My guess was somewhere near the 2800 mark.

Agreed, I was very surprised when the crowd was announced, definitely seemed sub 3,000

Suggests they're still counting season ticket holders who've stopped going? :shock:

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season