Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 23/10/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) League 1 Saturday 23/10/10.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:44 pm

chestersaddler wrote:One last thing. Looking around the ground I cannot see how there were above 3300 there today. My guess was somewhere near the 2800 mark.

I mentioned to my mate before the game that I reckoned we'd get a sub-3,000 gate but the club would not admit to it. As far as I am concerned I was right.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:47 pm

tinned wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:One last thing. Looking around the ground I cannot see how there were above 3300 there today. My guess was somewhere near the 2800 mark.

I mentioned to my mate before the game that I reckoned we'd get a sub-3,000 gate but the club would not admit to it. As far as I am concerned I was right.

We did have one sub-3,000 gate last season [2,929], but that was for a Tuesday night game. The last Saturday sub-3,000 crowd was probably the 2,972 vs York City in 1997, just after we beat Florist at The City Ground the previous Tuesday.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I'd say there's a good chance that a home FA cup draw will struggle to attract much more than 2,000. Scunthorpe two years ago was 2,300 ish.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:37 am

ok...............................

first game in a while..my ratings:

Brain- Maybe could have done better for first goal but was clattered

Lescott- Woeful, much perfer Westlake!
Smith- Looks all over the place, poor distribution
Davies- One mistake, terrible for someone of his quality
Mcgivern- didnt see much of him

Jones- Didnt have the ball enough
Taundry- 6 weeks or so out, you could see that
Richards- Poor game for him
Devaney- looked are only real threat, MOTM

Macken- looked frustrated, took his goal well...then was subbed when we needed goals ??????
Reid- Bright start of the game, should never have been taken off!

Subs- no impact

THE MANAGER-

CLUELESS!!!!! the only time we dealt with there number 7. was when we put clayton mcdonald on! like for like! i would have done my homework and played clayton against him but no... he had a field day and won the majority of headers which started most of there play!

Taundry was rushed back in after 6 weeks out....Paul Marshall on the bench for 6 weeks should have started, should have eased taundry back in.

Took rubuen reid off when we needed a goal.....same for macken!!!! clueless manager especially when we are chasing a game! (EVERY WEEK)

i am sick of hutchings now....got no plan B and you can see that there is absolutly no motivation or passion at this footballl club!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:57 am

chestersaddler wrote:Lescott is a liability at fullback, continually being caught out of position. Why can't Hutchings see this? The signs were there in the first couple of minutes when a cross from his side flew across the six yard box with Brain and defenders looking at each other. No surprise that Tranmere exploited this weakness throughout the match, culminating in the penalty decision.

What I don't get is that almost every team we have played have used the tactic of hammering Lescott, knowing they can exploit his lack of strength, height, positioning etc. When we played at Spotland ages ago Rochdale really targetted him, using Elding, then O'Grady, to outmuscle and jump him.

That was the second weekend in September and STILL we perservere with the same tactics and do nothing to sort it out. :roll:

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 am

What I don't get is that almost every team we have played have used the tactic of hammering Lescott, knowing they can exploit his lack of strength, height, positioning etc. When we played at Spotland ages ago Rochdale really targetted him, using Elding, then O'Grady, to outmuscle and jump him.

That was the second weekend in September and STILL we perservere with the same tactics and do nothing to sort it out

Mr hutchins is going to analyse the game and get things right, you miust trust the manager

Me I am digging my roadmap out ot Bury/Crewe/and all the other local clubs for next season

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am

bush360 wrote:

That was the second weekend in September and STILL we perservere with the same tactics and do nothing to sort it out

Mr hutchins is going to analyse the game and get things right, you miust trust the manager

Me I am digging my roadmap out ot Bury/Crewe/and all the other local clubs for next season

No need for a road map, we have been to these grounds so many times before, could get there with my eyes closed.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 pm

King Crimson wrote:To be fair to @aaronlescott he hasn't tweeted tonight. Mind you, club captain @darrenbyfield is enjoying X-Factor tonight as demonstrated to his followers. Still, he was happily tweeting at half time as we sat 1-0 down at home to the bottom side in the league. Bless. Hope @taundz and @juliangray1 have fun too.

I met Taundry in a McDonalds in Birmingham this morning at around 2:30am after a night out, nice enough bloke! Offered to buy me a McDonalds, had just eaten though :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:07 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
King Crimson wrote:To be fair to @aaronlescott he hasn't tweeted tonight. Mind you, club captain @darrenbyfield is enjoying X-Factor tonight as demonstrated to his followers. Still, he was happily tweeting at half time as we sat 1-0 down at home to the bottom side in the league. Bless. Hope @taundz and @juliangray1 have fun too.

I met Taundry in a McDonalds in Birmingham this morning at around 2:30am after a night out, nice enough bloke! Offered to buy me a McDonalds, had just eaten though :D

That would suggest that Hutchings has not called them in this morning for an inquest or some much needed defensive practice.

Working to put it right my backside :evil: :evil: :evil:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:09 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:

That would suggest that Hutchings has not called them in this morning for an inquest or some much needed defensive practice.
Working to put it right my backside :evil: :evil: :evil:

That is very true!!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:48 pm

just to add a few thoughts to KC's

Player by player:
Brain: Some awful decision making yet again. He's a mistake waiting to happen whenever he gets near the ball. yet never presents himself as an option he always expects the defender to turn and clear the lines when the majority of the time a pass back would be the easier option
Lescott: Captain? Joke. He showed his interest in this fixture when he allowed a rolling ball to go out off his foot for a throw in to them. Message to captain fantastic: get yourself off Twitter, and get yourself in the gym. Lightweight, poor positioning, poor distribution. Come back Rhys Weston, all is forgiven!no amount of protien shakes will bulk him up in time
Smith: Poor. Only plan is to clear his lines.
Davies: Felt for him with the slip, and had done well until then. However, if he's going to take a knock every game, he's no use to us.the reason for taking these knocks is that he doesnt shy away from the tackle what would you rather have in place instead, someone who isn't commited
McGivern: Did OK in my view. I get teh feeling that if he played with better options around him, he'd be good.
Devaney: Good positive attitude, sometimes held the ball too much rather than making a pass. who would he pass to. It was clear when we put ten passes together along the half way line that no-one was willing to provide any movement off the ball Good assist and nearly got another.
Richards: Not his usual self, but never went hiding. apart from the tackles
Taundry: Not really effective, and nearly cost us dearly with an error that only was recovered through a Brain save. I'd stick him at right back.
Jones: Flashes of positivity, but looks ragged at times.Possibly brought in a game too soon
Macken: Worked hard, took his goal well. Must wonder what he's doing here.take the knocks like a man and stop whinging to the ref and the linesman. Your a one time 5 million pound player you should expect the treatment the refs dont protect you in league one
Reid: Played well. If you find yourself subbed off for Alex Nicholls, you should feel insulted.

Subs: MacDonald did OK. Grigg ditto. Nicholls poor.[/quote]

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Rich Evans wrote:just to add a few thoughts to KC's

Player by player:
Davies: Felt for him with the slip, and had done well until then. However, if he's going to take a knock every game, he's no use to us.the reason for taking these knocks is that he doesnt shy away from the tackle what would you rather have in place instead, someone who isn't commited

Macken: Worked hard, took his goal well. Must wonder what he's doing here.take the knocks like a man and stop whinging to the ref and the linesman. Your a one time 5 million pound player you should expect the treatment the refs dont protect you in league one

I think that's harsh on Macken, Rich The ref was poor and provided neither team with any protection from some potentially dangerous fouls that were coming in. I think he had every right to complain to the ref about some poor decisions. Having had his say (which never looked like earning him a card for dissent), he carried on about his business.

With regard to Davies, I acknowledge he takes knocks because he makes tackles, but so do other centre halves for other teams, and so did our own in recent memory. If he limps off after 70 minutes, when we're chasing the game, he reduces our attacking options (which are pretty limited anyway) because we need to make a non-tactical substitution.

Your analysis appears to suggest that so long as players "take the knocks like a man" and "don't shy away" then all is well. All you need is the occasional reference to "a contact sport", "man's game", "taking no prisoners" and "running through brick walls for the team" and your homo-erotic eulogy is complete. I notice your criticism of Richards relates to his refusal to permit an on-pitch amputation at the studs of Ian Thomas-Moore. Shame on him!

You didn't teach PE on Merseyside in the mid-1980s by any chance? :wink:

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:20 pm

bush360 wrote:as soon he took Reid off for Nicholls, the game was up. He should of considering attacking options not replacing with inferior players

Did we have another shot after Grigg came on, no offence to the young lad but he really is not what you want to see coming on

Someone said Nicholls off to Rushall, what Rushall done to deserve that!!!!

Lets hope the man will put Huutch and Martin on the road to somewhere else

But who will take this on????

Did you watch the game? I did and grigg was unlucky not to score. not sure why everyonr is all over reid, he did okay but had 2 great chances to score and failed, one of thoe being when their stepped aside and allowed him to jog through for him to produce a weak shot which was easy for the keeper.

i know the football isn't great but in my opinion we have some of the worst support going. it was like a library until we went 2-0 down and the fans all of a sudden woke up to start hurling abuse at the manager. maybe if there was some positive atmosphere at 0-0 then it would also help the players on the pitch?

fully understand that people are furstrated about the performances and management but sometimes you just have to go along with it in my opinion and hope things work out.......surely a hell of a lot easier when you have good support and encouragement!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:36 pm

bush360 wrote:Did we have another shot after Grigg came on, no offence to the young lad but he really is not what you want to see coming on

Yes, yes we did.
Anyway, Hutch is the plank for making a like for like sub when at the time we were 3-1 down. He's such a bad manager.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Walsall 1 Tranmere 5

German striker Schadenfreude with all five for them, and a stroke of undeserved good fortune for our goal presumably?

that was the chelsea score he was thinking about not Walsall.

it will be 1-0

infront of 3407

I think I was rather closer to the score then you!
FAC!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:02 pm

bush360 wrote:

:lol: From that comment I'm assuming your post is entirely sarcastic! :wink:

Mal
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 am

It is Monday morning and I am still fuming at the most inept managerial team I think we have ever had

Two years in and the team has gone backwards, with the players we have and the CORRECT signing in midfield we should be doing far better

Bush, it was me shouting for Nicholls to go to Rushall, first club that came into my head but how that chap is a pro footballer is beyond me, five years or so around the first team and absolutely no improvement what so ever.

It is really simple to address this and that is to change the manager, I don't neccessarily buy into bombing O'Connor out cos the buck stops with the manager and I cannot believe for one moment that Martin deep down agrees with Numpty Hutchings. I just hope that the 'money' we had has not all dissapeared so as to give the next man a fair shot in January cos that what it is going to come down too, but listening to Hutchings he has no intention of resigning so Bonser its over to you.

The team on Saturday played reasonably well from a possession perspective but as stated above when we lose the ball or are looking for some creativity we are statuesque. But sideways and backwards constantly aint gonna get you goals, as for his substitutions.....nuff said, we need players with heart and passion to dig us out as per Devaney, Macken and to an extent Taudry who got dropped in after 6 weeks out!

I have been saying all season that his whole gameplan is based on a left back playing cente midfield, oops sorry playing as a fifth defender he is that deep. No issue with his endevour but being blinded by six games at the end of last year resulted in a perceived view our midfield was sorted is laughable. Cast your minds back to the start of last season when he did exactly the same then moved him back to wide left/leftback.

A NEW manager is the only way we will avoid relegation, ACT NOW JEFF BONSER and for once make the right decision

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:53 pm

I
notice your criticism of Richards
relates to his refusal to permit an
on-pitch amputation at the studs
of Ian Thomas-Moore. Shame on
him!

Where did I say I wanted richards to amputate anyone. Kc your taking the point of not making a tackle to the extreme in order to justify your self. When you say that richards had no-one alongside him i'd take that as he needs someone alongside him to be the enforcer because he is to afraid to put a tackle in.

And if i'm harsh on macken then so be it. But thats what i'm seeing from him every game, and not just one.
Perhaps he could get down the gym with lesscot. For all the guile he has with his movement is good but he is too easily brushed off the ball.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:04 pm

Rich Evans wrote:I
notice your criticism of Richards
relates to his refusal to permit an
on-pitch amputation at the studs
of Ian Thomas-Moore. Shame on
him!

Where did I say I wanted richards to amputate anyone. .

No. Read what I wrote again, Rich.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 am

Richards is absolutely not very good. His performances are laughable, and that people continue to defend him is even more laughable.

[modded for language.]

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Aldridge_saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Walsall 1 Tranmere 5

German striker Schadenfreude with all five for them, and a stroke of undeserved good fortune for our goal presumably?

that was the chelsea score he was thinking about not Walsall.

it will be 1-0

infront of 3407

I think I was rather closer to the score then you!
FAC!

Fluke 8)

Well actually I reckon youv'e got a white board that checks all the stats of each team that Walsall play, you include variables such as:

Precipitation,
grass length and moisture,
wind strength and direction,
The lunch that the players are likely to have and thus can calculate their average speed and reaction time through the energy gained from that food.

If my assupmtions are correct then I have underestimated you sir :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:19 am

Logging in for my only post of the week* from the tropical paradise island of Rarotonga. Message as follows:

HUTCH OUT!

We need a real manager not a rolling contract wage vampire. Come on Bonser - how much more evidence do we need that this guy can't tie his own shoel.aces, let alone guide a football team? Looks like even Jewell was better than this utter waste of all our time.

* dial-up speed means it's taken me 15 minutes to get to UTS, lg in , find this thread, read the scoreline and digest the implications!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 am

Rarotonga?

Kinky.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:10 am

Can we send Hutch to your tropical island of Rarotonga, or a different one? Preferably one without any way of him contacting the the rest of the world?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Richards is absolutely not very good. His performances are laughable, and that people continue to defend him is even more laughable.

[modded for language.]

Well phil, you've tried making points based on evidence and observation, which have failed to be heeded by the "idiots" on here. I see you're now onto the unvalidated assertion. I assume 'plan C' will be excessive use of caps lock IN ORDER TO MAKE A POINT. That should convince the waverers. :wink:

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season