Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Re: Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:02 pm

From where I was sat if devaney had connected with the player late on in the second half with that terrible lunge he'd have probably walked further than the exeter player would have done for the next 6 months. Other than that he had an awesome game. The problem is when he goes back along with the others we will be stuffed. Forget about signing any of them permanently.
Tomorrow should be interesting explaining how the davies played.

Walsall-Matt

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:19 pm

It was a relief when the ref blew the final whistle! how did we manage to neally balls it up when we we're 2-0 up and a man extra at half? What did Hutch say at half time? "sit back now lads we've won this".

The tactics were appauling in the 2nd half, pushed backed far too much so Exeter really put pressure on us most of the half and neally scored again. Forgot they had 10 men!

Anyway chuffed that we're out of the relegation zone & the peformance of loanee's Devaney & A. Davis.

Bring on the Daggers! :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 pm

The new players made a difference by all accounts , but Hutchings did he best to almost throw it away by more poor tactics and use of subs .

That said I'm delighted to end the losing run , but fear under the current manager the next one is not too far away.

Pangloss Saddler

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Stu wrote:Just 7 points of the Play Offs now, away to Dagenham next Saturday I think. We could be in the Play Offs by Christmas with a good run. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I fully agree with that perspective analysis, Stu.
Excellent win today for the Saddlers. Exeter only threatened when the silly referee decided to join in their attack.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Pangloss Saddler wrote:
Stu wrote:Just 7 points of the Play Offs now, away to Dagenham next Saturday I think. We could be in the Play Offs by Christmas with a good run. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent win today for the Saddlers. Exeter only threatened when the silly referee decided to join in their attack.

Is that a wind-up or are you really so blind to sarcasm?

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:33 pm

yea was at the game today in the f2g stand middle, enjoyed it much improved on last week

Brain - 4 quite dodgy fumbled a few

Lescott - 4 poor

Davies - 9 My MOM . crackin headers and tremendous fight

Smith - 6 did what was asked

McGivern - 7 Solid
Devaney - 8 quite classy and experienced

Davis - 5 ineffectual

Richards - 8 worked hard , rewarded with goal and later subbed
Reid - 7 put in a decent performance.

Macken - 7 ran alot

Subs
Nicholls - 5 poor
Jones - 6 Barely touched the ball
Marshall - 6 no effect

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:36 pm

oh and what was that ref about useless .. plus gifting them the goal.

Pangloss Saddler

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:40 pm

tinned wrote:
Pangloss Saddler wrote:

tinned, you are quite correct, I was mistaken.
I meant perceptive, not perspective.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Sorry don't know if i am hard to please,but Hutchings still has to go on Monday, new loanees looked good along with Richards, but with Hutchings as manager we could have the Real Madrid first team on loan and still be poor with him pulling the strings, second half Exeter down to 10 men their keeper might aswell sit with me in the stands for all he to do.

Hutchings Out.
Last edited by Over The Moon on Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Over The Moon wrote:Sorry don't know if i am hard to please,but Hutchings still has to go on Monday, loanees looked good along with Richards, but with Hutchings as manager we could have the Real Madrid first team on loan and still be poor with him pulling the strings, second half Exeter down to 10 men their keeper might aswell sit with me in the stands for all he to do.

Hutchings Out.

Now that's perceptive or perspective or something.

Hutchings out before these loans go back.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:43 pm

adjisaddler wrote:yea was at the game today in the f2g stand middle, enjoyed it much improved on last week

Brain - 4 quite dodgy fumbled a few

Lescott - 4 poor

Davies - 9 My MOM . crackin headers and tremendous fight

Smith - 6 did what was asked

McGivern - 7 Solid
Devaney - 8 quite classy and experienced

Davis - 5 ineffectual

Richards - 8 worked hard , rewarded with goal and later subbed
Reid - 7 put in a decent performance.

Macken - 7 ran alot

Subs
Nicholls - 5 poor
Jones - 6 Barely touched the ball
Marshall - 6 no effect

WE ONLY HAD10 MEN ASWLL :D

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Might as well of Windowman, Gray did sod all!

Why did he come down the center in th 2n half? Not once was he on the left wing, even when the ball was down the left he was going down the middle!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:00 pm

happy to have three points, but that's about the limit of it right now. :?

matt-thesaddler wrote:Might as well of Windowman, Gray did sod all!

Why did he come down the center in th 2n half? Not once was he on the left wing, even when the ball was down the left he was going down the middle!

I wonder...

ShropsSaddler wrote:He was having a running battle with the management team which, I suspect, was along the lines of them wanting him to (bizarrely) move way infield almost playing as a centre midfielder, and him wanting to stay out on the wing (where he should be). He spent a fair bit of time looking fed up, hands on hips, and kicked the turf in frustration at one point when the management team had again been giving him instructions.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Well, at least we won. Man of the match was obviously Richards, except the in-laws are a bit slow on the uptake and picked the wrong one!!!

Brain - Clumsy in possession, good kicker but his decision making is awful... Ay good.

Lescott - Jesus Christ, he was crappy with a crapital C. Could not pass, tackle or defend. He was targeted a lot even after the sending off.

Davies - I liked him. Angry, niggly and a little crazy. Could've been sent off but calm on the ball, strong in the tackle and more of a defender than Smith and Macdonald.

Mcgivern - I think he played well. Better at crossing and defending.

Richards - Mmmmmmmm played well again, standing ovation from most of the crowd from what I saw. Was a shame to see him and Macken taken off together as this seriously cocked us up.

Devaney - Great cross for Richards to nod in and was very positive. A worthy MOTM, but he's no Richards.

Macken - Have to agree with the guy before... His first touch and ball retaining is second to none in the side. A pleasure to watch such a short fella be so dominant from set pieces.

The rest:
Smith - Clumsy and should be glad to have had Davies next to him.
Davis - Not in the game as much as Richards, but in the main, a decent game for him.
Gray - Good in the first half, poor in the second. Needs to be on his toes with Jones back in the side.
Reid - Took his goal well and looked dangerous. Glad we've got him for more than a month!

Hutchings - A repeat of what is above. We lost any attacking momentum when Richards and Macken were taken off. Nicholls is not the answer, loan him out if we can.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:04 am

Match report now on the front page. Hard choice for the cut and paste this week but cully edges king crimson for the dubious honour of being this week's quoted fan. :D

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... he-bottom/

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:32 am

Graydon48 wrote:Their goal was a massive peice of the luck. The defelection off the ref set them up nicely.
It just shows how fragile our confidence is.

Looking at the replays on Sky Sports News, although the ref's interception of the ball gave them possession, we still had plenty of opportunity to defend the position much better than we did. Devany tried to tackle, but Lescott and Smith should have stopped the pass and shot that led to their goal.

Agree about the fragility of the team's confidence though.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:44 am

tinned wrote:
Pangloss Saddler wrote:

Looks to me like the latter!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:48 am

Kids, you do realise this whole Pangloss thing was sorted out a week or so back...

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:49 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Kids, you do realise this whole Pangloss thing was sorted out a week or so back...

Depends how much you like the sound of your own voice, sort of thing. :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:51 am

Exile wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Kids, you do realise this whole Pangloss thing was sorted out a week or so back...

Depends how much you like the sound of your own voice, sort of thing. :wink:

If you haven't noticed, I bloody love mine and I still day do it!!!

Love you, Sensei John xxx

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:41 am

Exile wrote:happy to have three points, but that's about the limit of it right now. :?

matt-thesaddler wrote:Might as well of Windowman, Gray did sod all!

I wonder...

ShropsSaddler wrote:He was having a running battle with the management team which, I suspect, was along the lines of them wanting him to (bizarrely) move way infield almost playing as a centre midfielder, and him wanting to stay out on the wing (where he should be). He spent a fair bit of time looking fed up, hands on hips, and kicked the turf in frustration at one point when the management team had again been giving him instructions.

It was because his orders were to play inside. When the 2nd half started, they pulled their two wide men inside so they could play 4 3 2, as they needed both strikers on. For 10 or 15 minutes, they completely over ran Richard and Davis, who were, suddenly, outnumbered. Hutchings, when he finally noticed, told Gray to play inside and match their three. Personally, I'd have taken him off for another midfielder and given Devaney a free role to use either wing, as Gray just isn't a central midfielder by any stretch of the imagination.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 am

It was a massive amount of disorganised bilge, a horrible performance, not so much the effort by the players (although they could be forgiven for not wanting to play for the cockerney chancer ) but by the management who continue to use such utterly clueless and inept 'tactics'.

The defence is all over the shop, no idea who is marking who and who does what

The midfield is totally toothless apart from Richards

The attack is totally and utterly strangled for service because the direction from the management is to hoof the ball up to Reid (winger) and Macken (goal poacher)

The keeper is gash

We dont use substitutes early enough or make the write substitutions

The 'style' of football is ugly, negative and uninspiring

Watching Walsall at the moment is painful

PS, Julian Gray would be better used as a lamp post on the M6

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:45 pm

I went to the game yesterday and it was alot better than the usual rubbish we watch. 1st half i thought both teams were playing well up until we got our 1st then we completely dominated the rest of the half and got the 2nd through Richards who was AGAIN absolutely superb. Devaney and Davies look like they are great additions to our squad. Devaney caused them problems all day and i remember saying to my mate that is what you call a PROPER winger.
2nd half Davis missed a sitter early on from a superb Mcgivern cross but from then on we seemed to run out of steam and then they got back into the game but for once i actually thought all 4 of the defence held up well and defended together.
Would also like to mention Macken. I have been very negative about him so far for all the right reasons but today he proved me wrong. He chased everything and set up Reid's goal beautifully. Long may that continue.

Anyway, much needed win out of the relegation zone and hopefully we can stay out of there too.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:54 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
It was because his orders were to play inside. When the 2nd half started, they pulled their two wide men inside so they could play 4 3 2, as they needed both strikers on. For 10 or 15 minutes, they completely over ran Richard and Davis, who were, suddenly, outnumbered. Hutchings, when he finally noticed, told Gray to play inside and match their three. Personally, I'd have taken him off for another midfielder and given Devaney a free role to use either wing, as Gray just isn't a central midfielder by any stretch of the imagination.

I bow down to your superior reading of the game on that one then Neil.

But forgive me for still thinking that the management are clueless in that case, for two particular reasons;

i) We were playing with 11 men, they were playing with 10 - perhaps, just perhaps, we could have taken the game to them, stretched them by using two wide players and tired them out so that they wouldn't have had the energy left in those last 15 minutes and we might have got more goals. Just a thought....

ii) Even if Gray was asked to defend "inside", surely he should have been told that, as soon as we get the ball, he heads for the left wing to stretch the play and provide an option for the pass?

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:54 pm

longdogs wrote:According to a post on the Exeter forum, the No 5 kicked the changing room door off its hinges!

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showpost.p ... tcount=303

This is true.

Disgraceful, childish behaviour, deserves to be fined a weeks wages.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:17 pm

Zippy wrote:
longdogs wrote:According to a post on the Exeter forum, the No 5 kicked the changing room door off its hinges!

This is true.

The club will get O'Reilly, of Fawlty Towers fame, to fix it, then send a marked-up bill to Exeter. :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Exile wrote:
Zippy wrote:

This is true.

The club will get O'Reilly, of Fawlty Towers fame, to fix it, then send a marked-up bill to Exeter. :D

A wooden lintel? But that's a supporting wall, Mr Fawlty!
:)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 pm

"I like a woman with spirit, Mrs. Fawlty"

"Oh, you do, do you?"

(Basil - "Oh, no...")

"Oi do... oi do..."

(Vicious handbag assault follows) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:45 am

Cully wrote:That was probably the most embarrassing win I have seen in the last 20 years. The only positives were the 3 points, Matt Richards usual lone performance and a promising performance from Martin Deveaney. How we managed to win against their 10 men is a mystery and 'cockney chancer' Hutchings will, based on yet another clueless performance, once again be able to trot out his usual cliched nonsense beside himself with his usual knowing smugness.
The defence is disorganised, there is no clear plan when we have the ball, which is usually by default. Our first goal was as a result of Mackens persistance chasing lost causes and Exeters defence over confidence against our pointless attacks. I cannot see any tactical plan whether we have the ball or are trying to win it; aimless hoofs from Lescott, Smith and McGivern. There is no one to pass too apart from Richards because nobody has any idea what to do with it when they get it. Occassionally we managed to put a few passes together which usually came to nothing because they end up at the feet of Reid who appears to think he has to beat at least four men before he even looks up.

Hutchings has shown no tactical nouse against any team we have played, Exeters players worked for each other, had options at all times, they ran and moved into space or made dangerous runs, how they didn't score in the last twenty minutes is a miracle. I had to count the players because they appeared to have more than the ten they were reduced to in the first half. Two attacks in within a minute by Exeter in that last period featured 2 strikers against 6 and the embarrassing spectacle of one of their players being chased by 4 of our players whilst our other 2 players, Lescott and Smith stood on the penalty spot watching the ball being passed to the other striker unmarked on the edge of the box. Only a block and a last ditch tackle and deflection for a corner prevented a goal. Hutchins response, take off our only effective midfielder and replace him with dopey Marshall just for good measure after he took off Macken and replaced him with Nicholls who proceeded to mark Reid until it occurred to him that they were both playing on the same side :roll: What is the point of playing Gray in some sort of 'drifting around a bit role' and then spending half the match pointing at him and shouting instructions like 'get inside Julian'????

Hutchings and O'Connor are responsible for the debacle not the players; it is their job to plan, organise and direct tactics. Clearly they are as capable as a pair of cabbages. Get rid of them, they are totally embarrasing. :evil:

Paul Marston, in his interview summed up the situation at Walsall perfectly. 'The management team of Hutchings and O'Connor must ultimately take responsibilty for assembling the squad and the performance of the players this season, continuing to blame bad luck and lack of resources is the crutch of failure'

Boo hiss

Not sure about the first line, but the rest is a nigh on perfect match report imho

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:12 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

I bow down to your superior reading of the game on that one then Neil.

But forgive me for still thinking that the management are clueless in that case, for two particular reasons;

i) We were playing with 11 men, they were playing with 10 - perhaps, just perhaps, we could have taken the game to them, stretched them by using two wide players and tired them out so that they wouldn't have had the energy left in those last 15 minutes and we might have got more goals. Just a thought....

ii) Even if Gray was asked to defend "inside", surely he should have been told that, as soon as we get the ball, he heads for the left wing to stretch the play and provide an option for the pass?

Quite right on both points. If you're a man up, you pass them to death until they start to tire.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season