Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Uh-oh, they have 1 back!

Squeaky bum time. This is now where Hutchings has to show how to ensure we get the result with 35 mins left.

Was that bit supposed to be funny :D

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:31 pm

phookin ell , why did i guess at HT that this wouldnt be straight forward?

snapple
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Out of the relegation zone! :D

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:54 pm

snapple wrote:Out of the relegation zone! :D

:?

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:58 pm

they hit the post in injury time according to BBC ! :?

can never do it the easy way can we

anyway 3 POINTS , thank phook 4 that

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Just 7 points of the Play Offs now, away to Dagenham next Saturday I think. We could be in the Play Offs by Christmas with a good run. :lol: :lol: :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:02 pm

sounds like the two new lads made a difference. Commentator said it was noticable that they were talking constantly to their team mates which is something we have been lacking.

We nearly managed to grap a draw from the jaws of victory but hey ho beggars can't be chosers and a win's a win :D

MILO5
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Stu wrote:Just 7 points of the Play Offs now, away to Dagenham next Saturday I think. We could be in the Play Offs by Christmas with a good run. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And mathematically promoted by Easter ! :D :D

bescot42
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:11 pm

MILO5 wrote:
Stu wrote:Just 7 points of the Play Offs now, away to Dagenham next Saturday I think. We could be in the Play Offs by Christmas with a good run. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And mathematically promoted by Easter ! :D :D

I'm already looking forward to Anfield next season :D :D :D

UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:14 pm

I need a lie down ...

Just too much excitement for one evening (and it is after midnight here).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:58 pm

A much better performance than last week (well, it could hardly be worse!), especially in the first half, where we showed in some measure more than glimpses of being half decent if we believe we can play football and pass the ball to feet. Ironic applause for Brain as he rolled the ball out to Andrew Davies were well deserved, as it was crystal clear that anything sent long would either result in a goal kick to them or it coming straight back downfield.
Don't often do player ratings, but here are my thoughts:

Brain - 4 Still unconvincing. Decision making is suspect, and they targeted him second half with those crosses that a confident keeper would come and collect. Insistance to go long when he has the ball in his hands is infuriating.
Lescott - 4 Targeted by Exeter, and too often failed to deal with incoming traffic. Distribution poor, but looks OK with the ball at his feet.
Davies - 8 Perhaps lucky to stay on after retaliating to their #5, but added some much-needed mettle to our defence. Good in the air, and prepared to mix it at their end. We haven't had a player with that edge to them since Gerrard left. Made a difference today.
Smith - 5 Not great. Poor control of the ball and caught out several times. I'd try Davies with MacDonald or Lancashire next time. Probably the latter.
McGivern - 7 Thought he did well, and what limited threat we had in the second half was often through him. Some decent crosses at their end, and reasonably solid at ours.
Devaney - 8 Excellent feet and good workrate. A player who hasn't had the confidence knocked out of him. Caused problems for their defenders with guile and more than a bit of strength too. A shot in the arm for the midfield, and for the crowd. Perhaps the first winger with a touch of flair since Zaaboub.
Davis - 6 Reasonable, seemed to tire late on. I thought when Marshall was coming on it would be for him.
Richards - 8 Typical performance. Covered the entire pitch, took his goal well. Several mis-placed passes, but when he makes so many that's forgivable at this level.
Gray - 6 Better than of late. Decent enough workrate first half, but faded away in the second. Hutch was right to freshen things up with Jones.
Reid - 7 Good performance, took his goal well and gave their centre halves plenty to think about.
Macken - 7 As Reid, a great pass for Reid's goal and a goal that he made through his persistence. Performance deserved a goal.

Subs
Nicholls - 5 Needs to add some tenacity to his game. Did well at the death to wind the clock down.
Jones - 6 Didn't see too much of the ball, but good to see him back.
Marshall - 5 Doesn't look sharp. A player going backwards?

Glad we won. I still think someone else would get more out of these players than Hutchings, but I can't see him going for the foreseeable. Time to turn a result into form.

SWS1

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:15 pm

That result practically guarantees O'Hutchins another 3 months, (almost) irrespective of results. TBF, O'Hutch has brought in what seem to be two shrewd signings (TBF2, presumably he had to go cap-in-hand, but at least The Ayatollah from Del Monte said "Yes"). If the first half performance can be extended into the last quarter, safety might not be far off. Another decent signing in central midfield, the crocks returning and a bit of confidence and, you never know, the season could take off :D

(Let's hope I haven't Jonahed us with optimism :( )

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:27 pm

Choosing MOTM was difficult. For the first time this season (that I have seen), there were 3 candicates IMHO. Richards had a good steady game, Davies came very close with a great defensive performance, but I thought Devany had a great game and made things happen today. Mr Bentos was not a happy man being outvoted by our little group, but I think Devany edged it. Our blindingly obvious week link is Lescot still - we need a replacement and fast.

Decent enough game, which we almost threw away, lovely to be given a table by the sponsors and the food and drink and service was good (the waiting staff are really friendly and nice). Even Roy was nice to me despite probably not liking some of the stuff I spout on here. A good day out. If someone ever gets around to organising a UTS sponsorship of a game... I'm in!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Good performance in the first half. Very impressed by Devaney (though Richards was my MoM) and pleased with the center back.

But, 2-0 down, with 10 men for 50 minutes Exeter (who looked to be in contention for the play offs this year) deserved a draw in the 2nd half and should have got it. After the first 5 minutes of the half when we could have added another, they blitzed us for the next 15 minutes before running out of steam. That was the moment to put on fresh legs and put them to the sword. But no, our tactical genius leaves it until 13 minutes from time to take off our only striker who can hold a ball up, another 10 minutes to take off our only midfielder who could place a pass in the 2nd half while leaving a headless chicken on in central midfield. Jesus, the man is such a mong! He's still gorra gew - fluking a win against 10 men with 6 loan signings in October? If I wanted to make money, I'd still put a bet on us being relegated if that cretin stays in charge.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:54 pm

According to a post on the Exeter forum, the No 5 kicked the changing room door off its hinges!

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showpost.p ... tcount=303

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Did the poshest name in football deserve to be sent off?

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:05 pm

latviancheese wrote:Did the poshest name in football deserve to be sent off?

Oh yes.

He could easily have walked for the handbags with Davies (who could have also gone), and was fortunate to escape with a yellow. Ten minutes later he pulled Reid (?) down as he went through. Second yellow, no question.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:09 pm

longdogs wrote:According to a post on the Exeter forum, the No 5 kicked the changing room door off its hinges!

Just about summed up his performance - what a donkey! Exeter played better without him.

Imo, Devaney deserved his MotM award and the other newcomer, Davies, certainly looked "feisty" (I'm being polite there). Both had points to prove to their respective managers, Mark Robins and Tony Pulis, and that bit of anger and bitterness could work to our advantage.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:14 pm

KC, the only bit of your report I really disagree with is Gray. He was absolutely dreadful 2nd half and seemed like he didn't want to be on the pitch. He was having a running battle with the management team which, I suspect, was along the lines of them wanting him to (bizarrely) move way infield almost playing as a centre midfielder, and him wanting to stay out on the wing (where he should be). He spent a fair bit of time looking fed up, hands on hips, and kicked the turf in frustration at one point when the management team had again been giving him instructions.

Nobody came out of that well. Gray was abysmal, the management team should have hauled him off for showing "dissent" but didn't...weak!

Otherwise, a decent first half, a dire second. Devaney was excellent, Davies could have been sent off but wasn't and was excellent, Richards was superb as usual and, for my money, Macken is the best football brain and has the best one touch of any player since Ricketts...absolute class.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:15 pm

A win's a win and I'll take it but how poor were we second half? I kept forgetting who was down to 10 men and who still had 11. Hutchings tried his best to mess up our win with a delayed substitution and sitting back to defend the lead. Great assist by the ref btw.

worzel999
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Definately, 3 points secured despite Hutchings, rather than inspired by.

We had the game in the bag at HT, and we allowed them back into the game.

We lost our shape and why our left winger didn't stay wide to streach them I'll never know.

The changes we too late and to be honest Exeter deserved a point for their efforts in the second half.

Out of the 5 loanees,

McGiveen - nice to see him cross the ball beyond the first man.
Davis - I just don't see his value, his passing was awful. Is he really any better than what we have got?
Davies - Got stuck in well, though he could have seen red in the incident with the number 5. If he keeps his head we will have a decent player, not sure he is any better than a div 1 player though.
Devaney - Showed Nicholls how to impose yourself on a game. Very impressive.
Reid - Good to see him support Macken for his goal. Did OK, felt he ran out of steam in the 2nd half.

We need to win the next 2 before the real teams come into town.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Need to add, what will we do when the loans disappear back to their respective clubs?

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:22 pm

King Crimson wrote:A much better performance than last week (well, it could hardly be worse!), especially in the first half, where we showed in some measure more than glimpses of being half decent if we believe we can play football and pass the ball to feet. Ironic applause for Brain as he rolled the ball out to Andrew Davies were well deserved, as it was crystal clear that anything sent long would either result in a goal kick to them or it coming straight back downfield.
Don't often do player ratings, but here are my thoughts:

Brain - 4 Still unconvincing. Decision making is suspect, and they targeted him second half with those crosses that a confident keeper would come and collect. Insistance to go long when he has the ball in his hands is infuriating.
Lescott - 4 Targeted by Exeter, and too often failed to deal with incoming traffic. Distribution poor, but looks OK with the ball at his feet.
Davies - 8 Perhaps lucky to stay on after retaliating to their #5, but added some much-needed mettle to our defence. Good in the air, and prepared to mix it at their end. We haven't had a player with that edge to them since Gerrard left. Made a difference today.
Smith - 5 Not great. Poor control of the ball and caught out several times. I'd try Davies with MacDonald or Lancashire next time. Probably the latter.
McGivern - 7 Thought he did well, and what limited threat we had in the second half was often through him. Some decent crosses at their end, and reasonably solid at ours.
Devaney - 8 Excellent feet and good workrate. A player who hasn't had the confidence knocked out of him. Caused problems for their defenders with guile and more than a bit of strength too. A shot in the arm for the midfield, and for the crowd. Perhaps the first winger with a touch of flair since Zaaboub.
Davis - 6 Reasonable, seemed to tire late on. I thought when Marshall was coming on it would be for him.
Richards - 8 Typical performance. Covered the entire pitch, took his goal well. Several mis-placed passes, but when he makes so many that's forgivable at this level.
Gray - 6 Better than of late. Decent enough workrate first half, but faded away in the second. Hutch was right to freshen things up with Jones.
Reid - 7 Good performance, took his goal well and gave their centre halves plenty to think about.
Macken - 7 As Reid, a great pass for Reid's goal and a goal that he made through his persistence. Performance deserved a goal.

Subs
Nicholls - 5 Needs to add some tenacity to his game. Did well at the death to wind the clock down.
Jones - 6 Didn't see too much of the ball, but good to see him back.
Marshall - 5 Doesn't look sharp. A player going backwards?

Glad we won. I still think someone else would get more out of these players than Hutchings, but I can't see him going for the foreseeable. Time to turn a result into form.

A fair summery there KC although have to agree with others about Gray not performing in the second half but a much improved performance till they got their goal and the jitters crept into the performance which is hardly surprising given the run we have been on and the players who have played at the back for that run not having the confidence in letting the ball go back to Brain.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Gray was poor

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Davies, certainly looked "feisty" (I'm being polite there).

Sent off three times in half a season on loan at Derby in 05/06 so clearly has previous.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. As KC and the Sunshine Band says above - we need a bit of channelled aggression in the side. Nice to see our two loan signings making an instant impact - that's what they've been brought in to do, after all. I wonder if we might start to see some players go out on loan in order to free up money to extend their spells. McDonald/Nicholls/Marshall would be the obvious candidates.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:31 pm

That was probably the most embarrassing win I have seen in the last 20 years. The only positives were the 3 points, Matt Richards usual lone performance and a promising performance from Martin Deveaney. How we managed to win against their 10 men is a mystery and 'cockney chancer' Hutchings will, based on yet another clueless performance, once again be able to trot out his usual cliched nonsense beside himself with his usual knowing smugness.
The defence is disorganised, there is no clear plan when we have the ball, which is usually by default. Our first goal was as a result of Mackens persistance chasing lost causes and Exeters defence over confidence against our pointless attacks. I cannot see any tactical plan whether we have the ball or are trying to win it; aimless hoofs from Lescott, Smith and McGivern. There is no one to pass too apart from Richards because nobody has any idea what to do with it when they get it. Occassionally we managed to put a few passes together which usually came to nothing because they end up at the feet of Reid who appears to think he has to beat at least four men before he even looks up.

Hutchings has shown no tactical nouse against any team we have played, Exeters players worked for each other, had options at all times, they ran and moved into space or made dangerous runs, how they didn't score in the last twenty minutes is a miracle. I had to count the players because they appeared to have more than the ten they were reduced to in the first half. Two attacks in within a minute by Exeter in that last period featured 2 strikers against 6 and the embarrassing spectacle of one of their players being chased by 4 of our players whilst our other 2 players, Lescott and Smith stood on the penalty spot watching the ball being passed to the other striker unmarked on the edge of the box. Only a block and a last ditch tackle and deflection for a corner prevented a goal. Hutchins response, take off our only effective midfielder and replace him with dopey Marshall just for good measure after he took off Macken and replaced him with Nicholls who proceeded to mark Reid until it occurred to him that they were both playing on the same side :roll: What is the point of playing Gray in some sort of 'drifting around a bit role' and then spending half the match pointing at him and shouting instructions like 'get inside Julian'????

Hutchings and O'Connor are responsible for the debacle not the players; it is their job to plan, organise and direct tactics. Clearly they are as capable as a pair of cabbages. Get rid of them, they are totally embarrasing. :evil:

Paul Marston, in his interview summed up the situation at Walsall perfectly. 'The management team of Hutchings and O'Connor must ultimately take responsibilty for assembling the squad and the performance of the players this season, continuing to blame bad luck and lack of resources is the crutch of failure'

Boo hiss

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:35 pm

I'd still sack Hutchings Monday morning. The win was despite him rather than because of him.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm

tinned wrote:I'd still sack Hutchings Monday morning. The win was despite him rather than because of him.

I agree.

And guys, I did say that Gray faded second half. I still think first half he played better than recently. Interesting to hear of the exchange of ideas with the bench. That's not clever.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Agree with a lot of what Cully wrote.

If the management are telling Gray to play centre midfield, then what the hell are they thinking? He's as much a centre midfielder as Jonny Brain is...

Cully wrote: he took off Macken and replaced him with Nicholls who proceeded to mark Reid until it occurred to him that they were both playing on the same side :roll:

Putting Nicholls on for Macken was a terrible decision - the end of us as an attacking force, leaving us to hang on for nearly 15 minutes. If Nicholls had to come on (and I'd have rather seen Grigg), he should have gone wide right and pushed Devaney up front. Instead, Devaney ended up on the left, where he didn't look as comfortable. And God only knows why he took Richards off.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Their goal was a massive peice of the luck. The defelection off the ref set them up nicely.
It just shows how fragile our confidence is. From being in cruise control to hanging on against ten men in a blink of an eye after their goal.
Last edited by Graydon48 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season