Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Exeter City (H) League 1 Saturday 9/10/10.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:04 am

A half decent performance, got the result we needed but the performance was worrying, especially at the back where both Lescott and McGivern appear to have forgotten how to defend.

Richards was poor again, but people seem to be determined to credit him despite it being obvious he never tackles, gives the ball away more than any other midfielder and plays his team mates in to trouble with weak passes - I mean honestly, most people on here are rating him that same as Devaney and Davies?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We were bottom of the table, and our midfield was the weakest point of our team, yet somehow Richards gets rave reviews every week. How can midfield be our problem area yet Richards be playing superbly?!

He took his goal well, but I would still have only rated Richards as a 6.

As I pointed out weeks ago, Hutchings was again trying to get Gray to play inside, really can't understand the point of that.

The result has probably bought Hutchings another 3 games - pick up 1 point or less from the next 3 games and surely Hutchings must go.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 am

More stubborn and dogmatic than the bloke in your avatar, Phil.

And if you think, having watched the performances of Brain, Lescott and Smith on Saturday that the biggest problem we have is midfield, I'm surprised. Still, our troubles will be over when Taundry returns, eh?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:26 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The result has probably bought Hutchings another 3 games - pick up 1 point or less from the next 3 games and surely Hutchings must go.

I think the two loan signings bought Hutchings another month before Saturday's win.

For what it's worth, I'll judge a manager on his results. As much as I've stated my belief that Hutchings should go, he can do no more than claim 3 points on a Saturday.

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:29 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:The result has probably bought Hutchings another 3 games - pick up 1 point or less from the next 3 games and surely Hutchings must go.

I think the two loan signings bought Hutchings another month before Saturday's win.

For what it's worth, I'll judge a manager on his results. As much as I've stated my belief that Hutchings should go, he can do no more than claim 3 points on a Saturday.

Doing so every Saturday would be nice...

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:26 pm

PeruSaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

It would also see us overtake Chelsea in the league standings in less than three years. Dreams, eh?!

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:14 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
PeruSaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

It would also see us overtake Chelsea in the league standings in less than three years. Dreams, eh?!

Probably not actually, because if we reached the heady heights of the Prem we'd rarely play on Saturdays!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:18 pm

King Crimson wrote:A much better performance than last week (well, it could hardly be worse!), especially in the first half, where we showed in some measure more than glimpses of being half decent if we believe we can play football and pass the ball to feet. Ironic applause for Brain as he rolled the ball out to Andrew Davies were well deserved, as it was crystal clear that anything sent long would either result in a goal kick to them or it coming straight back downfield.
Don't often do player ratings, but here are my thoughts:

Brain - 4 Still unconvincing. Decision making is suspect, and they targeted him second half with those crosses that a confident keeper would come and collect. Insistance to go long when he has the ball in his hands is infuriating.
Lescott - 4 Targeted by Exeter, and too often failed to deal with incoming traffic. Distribution poor, but looks OK with the ball at his feet.
Davies - 8 Perhaps lucky to stay on after retaliating to their #5, but added some much-needed mettle to our defence. Good in the air, and prepared to mix it at their end. We haven't had a player with that edge to them since Gerrard left. Made a difference today.
Smith - 5 Not great. Poor control of the ball and caught out several times. I'd try Davies with MacDonald or Lancashire next time. Probably the latter.
McGivern - 7 Thought he did well, and what limited threat we had in the second half was often through him. Some decent crosses at their end, and reasonably solid at ours.
Devaney - 8 Excellent feet and good workrate. A player who hasn't had the confidence knocked out of him. Caused problems for their defenders with guile and more than a bit of strength too. A shot in the arm for the midfield, and for the crowd. Perhaps the first winger with a touch of flair since Zaaboub.
Davis - 6 Reasonable, seemed to tire late on. I thought when Marshall was coming on it would be for him.
Richards - 8 Typical performance. Covered the entire pitch, took his goal well. Several mis-placed passes, but when he makes so many that's forgivable at this level.
Gray - 6 Better than of late. Decent enough workrate first half, but faded away in the second. Hutch was right to freshen things up with Jones.
Reid - 7 Good performance, took his goal well and gave their centre halves plenty to think about.
Macken - 7 As Reid, a great pass for Reid's goal and a goal that he made through his persistence. Performance deserved a goal.

Subs
Nicholls - 5 Needs to add some tenacity to his game. Did well at the death to wind the clock down.
Jones - 6 Didn't see too much of the ball, but good to see him back.
Marshall - 5 Doesn't look sharp. A player going backwards?

Glad we won. I still think someone else would get more out of these players than Hutchings, but I can't see him going for the foreseeable. Time to turn a result into form.

I agree with all of that. I actually thought Davies shaded man of the match, because he made such a big difference, I am sure that with Mcdonald or Lanacashire next to Smith, we would have turned victory in to defeat some how. Was good to see some flair on the wing too though, if we could actually get Jones fit, and have two good wingers, we could actually have a decent run. Although even with Davies in there, we still look like we can concede a goal without a moments notice.

The subsitutions at the end of the game were baffling once again. When you make a sub, it is presumably for some kind of reason, other than you feel like you should make a sub because there is not much time left on the clock. Hutchings seems to have little or no clue why he is doing anything.

A decent Keeper, someone to replace the awful Lescott, someone with some quality on the ball to play in the middle of the pitch, and a manager who knows the slightest thing about tactics, and organisation, and we may just be getting somewhere. Not asking for much am I? :?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 pm

King Crimson wrote:More stubborn and dogmatic than the bloke in your avatar, Phil.

And if you think, having watched the performances of Brain, Lescott and Smith on Saturday that the biggest problem we have is midfield, I'm surprised. Still, our troubles will be over when Taundry returns, eh?

Local hero!

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season