Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Tuesday 28/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Tuesday 28/9/10.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Stu wrote:Surrey - I was there, I was the suit sitting on my tod at the back having more fun watching Sky Sports News / BBC Live Text Commentary on the iPhone.

For me, that was a dire performance. We really offered zero threat going forward, we could still be playing now and that game would be goal-less... I thought they were the better side in terms of football, but again, they were never going to score against us unless it was a set piece when they seemed to win the majority of headers but never threatened.

As for us, I really don't know what the strategy was. We hoofed it to Macken who is a midget, refused to use the wingers and were generally one paced, dis-interested and pretty lame... I was in the O's Supporters Club after the match as I my mate is an O's fan, they were disappointed not to beat us and he thought we were the worst side he'd seen in a long while. I blame him personally, its the 4th time I've watched an O's v Saddlers game with him, we've failed to score in those 4 games, drawing 0-0 twice and then 1-0 and 2-0 defeats.

With two pacey wingers, the instructions should be simple. Get the ball wide, get it wide quickly, play at a high tempo and tell the wingers to constantly try and get to the touchline, get the ball into the box and/or across the face of goal, one midfielder bombing on and try to cause some problems. Last night was Sunday pub football, and bad Sunday pub football at that.

Ratings:
Brain - Sound, good save from a header. Doesn't command his box though and you could see the waryness from the centre halves at times wondering whether he was coming or staying.
Lescott - Dire. Distribution is atrocious, he only knows how to put it 50 yards aimlessley.
Smith - Never troubled, still looks clumsy
Lancashire - See Smith, but better on the ball
McGivern - Gets forward well, someone should tell him crosses are meant to beat the first man, I'm sure he intentionally aims for the first man
Nicholls - Atrocious, he needs to look in the mirror. One attempt all match to run with the ball at his man, he didn't get past him. Offered zilch.
Richards - MOTM for me, the only one who seemed to want to try and take charge of the game and do something with the ball, feel sorry for him.
Davis - Puts his foot in but that is all, poor distribution.
Gray - Anonymous. Still trying to work out whether he was playing left back with McGivern or left wingback, he certainly wasn't playing left midfield or as an attacking winger, hardly got forward, didn't once beat his man, continually drifted inside as if under orders.
Macken - Felt sorry for him, he is a short bloke, so whose idea is it to continually punt the ball in the air to him. At least put it into his feet or body, not his bleedin head. No service from the flanks at all for him.
Reid - Tried, didn't do much, didn't offer a threat, but as with Macken, received no service from the flanks and no real support from midfield.

Grigg - Looked lively when he came on, speculative shots, at least added some energy
McDonald - Jeez, this bloke has gone backwards since I last saw him. Looked very clumsy.

Overall, a point was a fair result, they were poor, we were worse.

A good summary, Stu.

I think Lescott is lucky to still be in the side to be honest - we seem to concede most of our goals down that right flank. As for Nicholls being rubbish and Gray being anonymous, that's what we've come to expect.
McGivern's final ball does lack at times, but I think that has as much to do with us not getting the ball out to him early enough when he does make himself available as it does with his actual ability.

I'd be bold on Saturday if I were Hutchings. Go with a 4-4-2 with Grigg & Macken up front & Reid wide on the right.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:16 pm

First off credit to the walsall fans last night, all that way on a tuesday night, knowing that we're gonna watch tripe but still giving the lads some good support is commendable to all 114. Now to the match.....................

Rubbish

we wouldn't of scored if we played all night long. One shot on target the whole game and that was lancashire, where the ball just kind of fell to him in the 6 yard box.

Nicholls and Gray were shocking, lescott didn't realise that we were playing in blue as every pass went to a red. Orient were a very very poor side, they didn't really create too much but were the better team, if we finnish one place above Orient it will be bottom but one. Big Improvments needed, no width, no tactics, no passion HUTCH OUT

P.S Speicial Mentions to Richards (he's starting to win me over), Reid, Grigg and Mcgiven

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:36 pm

i enjoyed the trip but next time i will leave my house before 5pm

JackoSaddler

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Taundry was sat a couple of seats from me. Was nice to see a player sitting with the fans, actually watching the game though!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Actually i have never seen us score past Orient either...

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 pm

Rich Evans wrote:i enjoyed the trip but next time i will leave my house before 5pm

I would imagine you would need to leave your house before 5 to get to the Bescot for kick off on a Tuesday night. :)

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season