Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Tuesday 28/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
adjisaddler
Glitterati

Re: Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Tuesday 28/9/10.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm

sounded dire but ion a positive note a away point

Adj

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm

yoda wrote:
Exile wrote:
Wendy Mumford wrote:
Exile wrote:I'll take a point right now.

No thanks. Not if it keeps Hutchinson the clown in his job

What about Hutchings the manager? :wink:

He'll still be here Saturday, I'm sure. Not certain if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I hope the crowd back the lads rather than barrack him the whole day.

Moneys an absolute squeeze for me but Im going to find it. Its a relegation battle and fellow rivals for the drop are in town!

Find something you haven't used for six months, sell it and hey presto! Ticket money! :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Leyton Orient (A) League 1 Tuesday 28/9/10.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Massive point.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm just off to text EVERY SINGLE LEEDS FAN THAT I KNOW.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Im still disappointed, away or at home.. We've just about scraped a draw by the sounds of it, to a team I expect to see in the bottom 4 at the end of the season.

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

wooooo hoooo clean sheet. Hes got to go.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

I'll wait for a report from someone who was there before dismissing the game as a lucky fluke. :lol:

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:48 pm

wooooo hoooo clean sheet. Hes got to go.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Exile wrote:
yoda wrote:
Exile wrote:
Wendy Mumford wrote:

He'll still be here Saturday, I'm sure. Not certain if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I hope the crowd back the lads rather than barrack him the whole day.

Moneys an absolute squeeze for me but Im going to find it. Its a relegation battle and fellow rivals for the drop are in town!

Find something you haven't used for six months, sell it and hey presto! Ticket money! :D

That rubber in my wallet?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:51 pm

HIOCS :D

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I was there unfortunatly and we were absolute gash, Im not gunna go into it much because Im that annoyed I see nothing other than relegation with this clueless fool in charge.

see ya all on Sat then haha :D

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:02 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Still out for me.This is a one off.

Had we won 6-0 tonight I'd still want the clown out

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 pm

JaseFlavell wrote:140 fans there, deserved point but hopefully there is time to score!

Under the circumstances, a decent following.

And a clean sheet.

Hutchings and MOC should still go IMO.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14 pm

3rd from bottom now, according to sky Orient dominated. Hopefully a change in management will be announced tomorrow

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:32 pm

The game was crud. They obviously wanted it more. They were more willing to put the ball down and play where as we hoofed it up the pitch. Possible penalty in the dying moments. The other thing is your not allowed to swear otherwise you get told off by the jobsworths. And I thought ours were bad.

Cant belive I decided at the very last minute to go.

The road works were more fun.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Geez, did you get back by helicopter or something?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:45 pm

yoda wrote:Geez, did you get back by helicopter or something?

Must've got a lift with Uncle Jeff. :mrgreen:

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 pm

En route home. My brother and I missed the first 20 mins too

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 pm

On the train back to Wycombe from the game. Full of Chelsea fans it is.
Not a great performance at all but not quite as bad as some will make out.
We just couldn't get the ball on the deck at all, choosing to (as usual) smash it down the line to anyone daft enough to chase it. We seemed fairly up for it to start with but Orient were able to pass it round us far too comfortably at times, too much time and space on the ball. Same problems, different game.
Brain was a lot better than he has been. Got lucky with his 'kick 'n' slip' but made a terrific finger tip save over the bar midway through the second half.
Lescott gave far too much space away and McGivern's crossing still hasn't improved although some of his overlapping was better tonight.
Lancashire was fairly solid but there's no communication between himself and Smith. That's the inexperience showing for me.
Nicholls was poor on the right. He may not be a winger but he just doesn't do anything to grab his chance. He has pace he doesn't use and no strength whatsoever.
Richards was having to clean up an awful lot of wayward balls and Gray did some fantastic defensive work during the second half.
Davis would certainly put his foot in but never win that second ball.
Upfront I can definitely understand Reid and Macken's frustrations, no service from the start, nothing was sticking and the latter showed it by clattering their defender early on. Was very late indeed.
On a positive note, we seemed to come alive slightly once Grigg came on and he seemed to unnerve the Orient defence in the closing stages.
1 shot on target though is very poor but i'll take the point after our recent run of poor form.
We made as much noise in the away end as we could really and regardless of the result both Hutchings and Mart have to go. I'd still feel that way had we nicked it. Apologies if this is a ramble, i've typed it up on my phone.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Cant argue with that matey.

SWS1

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:34 pm

:(

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm

SWS1 wrote::(

Care to elaborate?

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:39 pm

thought we played ok, we were the better of two poor teams. Orient dominated???? Not from where I was. they had a few spells, mainly when their cheating git of a left winger ran at us second half. apart from that we dominated much of the play without actually threatening much. I fail to understand how a team with so much pace in in it on paper (Nicholls, Reid, Gray......) cannot muster a single dangerous cross :shock:

A decent performance, but they were crap. Great support from the few that were there (120 odd??) I took a Manure fan with me and he said we deserved to win. Not a fan of Hutchings and again his tactics did nowt to change the game, clueless. Was noticable that MoC made special effort to come over to the Walsall fans at the end. Is he after your job Chris? Maybe. But as much as I love MoC as a player he is part of the current crapness.

Still a point is a point and i had a great night, the Orient fns are top!! Just as depressed as us and lots of gallows humour in the coach and horses :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 pm

forgot to say Matt Richards ran his nads off again. A lot of the time he gave the ball away but he was the one player for us who was always looking for the ball. Personally i would rather have that than others who just try to avoid the ball.

Met Surry Saddler again, nice to see you again mate :D And Tommo my Manure supporting mate is in awe of you (although he also said you must be mad, which I cant disagree with :mrgreen: )

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Against my better judgment, I went. And, I must admit, I quite enjoyed it. I suppose if you support Walsall now you are only too well aware that we are a poor team. And, paradoxically, that makes for a better 90 miunutes - no pressure, sit back and enjoy what is before you, no worrying about promotion, no dreams of better days ahead. This is reality, this is where we belong. Go for a pint and a burger at half time, bump into Belgian Saddler and his mate, what could be better. By the way, Richards was excellent tonight and Hutchings was leaping about in quite an agitated manner in the second half. He looked as if he cared. Good for him. All the faithful clapped enthusiastically after the game. Not sure why.

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

And while I am on the subject....where were all the usual suspects? No :mrgreen: offer, no Stu, no Addis Saddler, no Joe 90, no Andy Smith. Please explain yourselves.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:19 am

Surrey Saddler wrote:And while I am on the subject....where were all the usual suspects? No :mrgreen: offer, no Stu, no Addis Saddler, no Joe 90, no Andy Smith. Please explain yourselves.

Not sure Surrey. Out of the "usual suspects" you name where was Doffer? i thought he lived down sarf. Stu I would imagine he was there cos he usually is when we play down sarf. Addis? Isnt he still in Ethiopia? Joe 90 wish i heard from her but i understand why. Andy smith, dont know him

surrey was a pleasure to meet u again. UTS

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:37 am

Just got back. It was a rather poor game of football in all honesty. However, I am pleased that we have stopped the rot by picking up a point and also kept a cleansheet!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:59 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Just got back. It was a rather poor game of football in all honesty. However, I am pleased that we have stopped the rot by picking up a point and also kept a cleansheet!

my wife asked me about clean sheets but thats another story

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:14 am

Surrey - I was there, I was the suit sitting on my tod at the back having more fun watching Sky Sports News / BBC Live Text Commentary on the iPhone.

For me, that was a dire performance. We really offered zero threat going forward, we could still be playing now and that game would be goal-less... I thought they were the better side in terms of football, but again, they were never going to score against us unless it was a set piece when they seemed to win the majority of headers but never threatened.

As for us, I really don't know what the strategy was. We hoofed it to Macken who is a midget, refused to use the wingers and were generally one paced, dis-interested and pretty lame... I was in the O's Supporters Club after the match as I my mate is an O's fan, they were disappointed not to beat us and he thought we were the worst side he'd seen in a long while. I blame him personally, its the 4th time I've watched an O's v Saddlers game with him, we've failed to score in those 4 games, drawing 0-0 twice and then 1-0 and 2-0 defeats.

With two pacey wingers, the instructions should be simple. Get the ball wide, get it wide quickly, play at a high tempo and tell the wingers to constantly try and get to the touchline, get the ball into the box and/or across the face of goal, one midfielder bombing on and try to cause some problems. Last night was Sunday pub football, and bad Sunday pub football at that.

Ratings:
Brain - Sound, good save from a header. Doesn't command his box though and you could see the waryness from the centre halves at times wondering whether he was coming or staying.
Lescott - Dire. Distribution is atrocious, he only knows how to put it 50 yards aimlessley.
Smith - Never troubled, still looks clumsy
Lancashire - See Smith, but better on the ball
McGivern - Gets forward well, someone should tell him crosses are meant to beat the first man, I'm sure he intentionally aims for the first man
Nicholls - Atrocious, he needs to look in the mirror. One attempt all match to run with the ball at his man, he didn't get past him. Offered zilch.
Richards - MOTM for me, the only one who seemed to want to try and take charge of the game and do something with the ball, feel sorry for him.
Davis - Puts his foot in but that is all, poor distribution.
Gray - Anonymous. Still trying to work out whether he was playing left back with McGivern or left wingback, he certainly wasn't playing left midfield or as an attacking winger, hardly got forward, didn't once beat his man, continually drifted inside as if under orders.
Macken - Felt sorry for him, he is a short bloke, so whose idea is it to continually punt the ball in the air to him. At least put it into his feet or body, not his bleedin head. No service from the flanks at all for him.
Reid - Tried, didn't do much, didn't offer a threat, but as with Macken, received no service from the flanks and no real support from midfield.

Grigg - Looked lively when he came on, speculative shots, at least added some energy
McDonald - Jeez, this bloke has gone backwards since I last saw him. Looked very clumsy.

Overall, a point was a fair result, they were poor, we were worse.

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:42 am

Exile wrote:
yoda wrote:
Exile wrote:
Wendy Mumford wrote:

Look down the back of the settee, i usually find money down there.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season