Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/9/10.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:31 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Defeat on Tuesday to another of this divisions mediocre outfits and Hutchings and MOC will go.

And MOC? I doubt that.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:37 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Defeat on Tuesday to another of this divisions mediocre outfits and Hutchings and MOC will go.

And MOC? I doubt that.

Put it this way: I hope MOC goes too. I'd like to know the evidence that suggests he should be given his own opportunity [well, apart from it being the cheap option, that is].

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:39 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

And MOC? I doubt that.

Put it this way: I hope MOC goes too. I'd like to know the evidence that suggests he should be given his own opportunity [well, apart from it being the cheap option, that is].

I think we all want MOC to go aswell. Would be unfair on him, and us, to let an inexperienced guy try and get us out of the cack we're in.
Fact is, we wouldnt put it past Bonser..

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:40 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

And MOC? I doubt that.

I think we all want MOC to go aswell. Would be unfair on him, and us, to let an inexperienced guy try and get us out of the guano we're in.
Fact is, we wouldnt put it past Bonser..

Agreed.

134 Saddlers in attendance at Victoria Park.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Unbelievable.

Hartlepool narrowly escaped relegation, famously released 8 players and brought none in during the summer. Then Hartofthepool said about 4 of there regular first teamers were out injured today, I believe?

If ever there was a game we should have been licking our lips about, that could have stopped the rot, this was it.

Unbelievable.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:

And MOC? I doubt that.

I agree,I would like to see MOC go aswell, but I am just saying can you see that happening?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:48 pm

I wouldnt mind MOC staying on in a coaching role, but if he gets promoted to Manager, then it's just another example of the club accepting failure.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:50 pm

as much of a legend he is, MOC has to go as well, he's a big cog in a clueless failing machine.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:57 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:At the end of the day, with gates of under 4k what can we expect, were a League 2 club, with a League 2 budget, a League 2 ground, League 2 players and a League 2 manager, League 2 here we come. Thank you very much our saviour Jeff Bonsor for takin us from being a low 4th division club and turning us into a.........

Oh and WE WANT HUTCHINGS OUT!

I'll tell you what we can expect with gates of under 4k. We can expect Jeff Bonser to do something to draw the crowds back, to give a manager a chance to build a squad that's worth coming out on a Saturday to pay our money and watch.

We haven't become a useless team of losers, and we won't stay a team of losers, because the crowds have dipped below 4,000. That's absolutely the wrong way round. The proper way to look at it is that crowds have dipped below 4,000 because we're being asked to come to a club and pay to watch a team of losers, managed by a proven loser, owned by a man with zero ambition for the footballing side of his business.

It's Bonser's business, and it's Bonser's job to give us all a reason to come back - it's absolutely NOT the other way round - and the sooner he gets that into his thick money-grabbing head, and makes some of that money available again for players, the sooner we'll start back up the hill to stability.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/9/10.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:57 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I wouldnt mind MOC staying on in a coaching role, but if he gets promoted to Manager, then it's just another example of the club accepting failure.

I would say our coaching is what would appear to be most found wanting. MOC = part of the problem, not the solution.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:04 pm

HUTCHINGS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either David Kelly or Kevin Macdonald please!

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:19 pm

I certainly feel for the 134 currently en route back from Pool.
As mentioned above Hartlepool are a poor team which makes this defeat even worse.After going a goal up we should have gone on to win this one.
We have a mediocre league one side (if you take the goalkeeper out of the equation)which should be able to stay up given the correct tactics and motivation.
Unfortunately Hutch is a poor football manager who must go immediately.

Pangloss Saddler

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Pleased to see Julian Gray on the scoresheet - it should help boost his confidence.
As I have said many times, the Saddlers were unfortunate to lose yet another game by the odd goal.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Pangloss Saddler wrote:Pleased to see Julian Gray on the scoresheet - it should help boost his confidence.
As I have said many times, the Saddlers were unfortunate to lose yet another game by the odd goal.

I think your brilliant.

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:43 pm

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Glad to see the DVD reference comes up again.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Pangloss Saddler wrote:Pleased to see Julian Gray on the scoresheet - it should help boost his confidence.

Unfortunate? Do you base that on only one goal in it? First 20 mins fair enough, we were all over them but after that it was all hartlepool. They were unfortunate to only win 2-1.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Dear God - as if I needed another reason to consider leaving the country... This club is dying a pitiful death along with the town it represents and the region it sits in.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:44 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:

Unfortunate? Do you base that on only one goal in it? First 20 mins fair enough, we were all over them but after that it was all hartlepool. They were unfortunate to only win 2-1.

I have been thinking for a few weeks now that these posts are meant to be sarcastic. Now I am convinced.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:28 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Pangloss Saddler wrote:Pleased to see Julian Gray on the score-sheet - it should help boost his confidence. As I have said many times, the Saddlers were unfortunate to lose yet another game by the odd goal.

I have been thinking for a few weeks now that these posts are meant to be sarcastic. Now I am convinced.

Have you ever read Voltaire's "Candide" (itself a sarcastic novel)? Pangloss was Candide's mentor who believed that everything was for the best - a perpetual optimist, in fact.

Pangloss Saddler is clearly a literate person with a sense of humour - an existing poster using an alternative identity, perhaps? :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:50 pm

yoda wrote:

I think your brilliant.

Well he's certainly consistent and predictable. :D

( and either misguided, or I've got a great big "whoosh" heading my way! )

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:00 pm

Blimey, that was bad.

A half decent start against a team who were obviously lacking in confidence and we thoroughly deserved our lead. Then it started to go wrong. Whilst we dominated possession for another 15/20 minutes it lacked any incision and we failed to test their keeper who had a bit of a mare for our goal. Wasteful set pieces and for some reason ridiculous show-boating by Reid and Gray meant that whilst we were on top a second never looked likely.

Hartlepool won a succession of corners and we looked so fragile you knew we'd concede and you knew it would be a set-piece. So a long throw, a loose ball and they score a loopy over-head kicky type thing.

The question we were asking ourselves at half-time was how we'd react to that set-back. The answer - we reacted like a bunch of spineless no-hopers with no sense of accountability, responsibility or intelligence. A free-kick flung to our far post and they score a free header from two yards. Brains fault? Defenders fault? I dunno, just a collective shambles.

Hartlepool came up with the tactical masterplan derived from under 11's football. Get the big kid (Monkhouse) to pull onto the little kid (Lescott) and for the other kids to aim for the big kid. This was far too much for our players and management staff to twig, so in the end, by deploying this masterplan Hartlepool could have had 3 or 4. Reid could have bagged an undeserved equaliser at the death but that might have masked an unforgivable shambles against a really poor team.

Some of ours were calling for MOC to become manager - come off it lads, he's part of the current mess.

I'm off the fence now, the pair of them need to go.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Any one still think Hutching is doing a decent job

HOSOC

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Pangloss is clearly a wind-up merchant, but one of the better ones, as those of us who have studied philosophy have known all along.

Candide is a brilliant book. It was written to make fun of the theory advanced by philosophers such as Leibniz that since God has created the world and he is good and all powerful then it follows that this must be the best of all possible worlds for mankind to live in. Why did God create flies? Because a world without flies would not be as good for mankind as a word with them, and so on.

However Voltaire made a false conclusion that if this is the best possible world then everything that happens in it must also be for the best for everyone in it. Leibniz never held that view of course, but it does not stop the book being very funny. As each new disaster struck Candide Dr Pangloss kept on saying that everything must have happened for the best.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:13 pm

moanin old git wrote:There will be a tikkatape welcome for him back at the Bezza guaranteed!

Wow!
Peadagogue, we're all literate, us wot posts on ere!
I was looking on eBay only yesterday for Beano issues to complete my collection.
Is a "tikkatape welcome" a shower of curry, in which case make mine Chicken please?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Whitters wrote:
moanin old git wrote:There will be a tikkatape welcome for him back at the Bezza guaranteed!

Wow!
Peadagogue, we're all literate, us wot posts on ere!
I was looking on eBay only yesterday for Beano issues to complete my collection.
Is a "tikkatape welcome" a shower of curry, in which case make mine Chicken please?

Have mixed meat, you girl!

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:31 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I wouldnt mind MOC staying on in a coaching role, but if he gets promoted to Manager, then it's just another example of the club accepting failure.

If MOC is having any input with the coaching he is pretty poor. He should leave with Hutchings.
And for those chanting today "MOC's barmy army" get a brain. It was about the only funny thing of the entire day though.
One more thing while I'm in moaning mood, the 3D telly in the Mill House, wasn't that spectacular.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:47 pm

[quote="Graydon48And for those chanting today "MOC's barmy army" get a brain. It was about the only funny thing of the entire day though.
[/quote]

Yeah...but they were SERIOUS !!!!!!!

for what its worth, Dismal performance, they just walked through our midfield. Terrible, just terrible.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:15 pm

PT wrote:Hartlepool came up with the tactical masterplan derived from under 11's football. Get the big kid (Monkhouse) to pull onto the little kid (Lescott) and for the other kids to aim for the big kid. This was far too much for our players and management staff to twig, so in the end, by deploying this masterplan Hartlepool could have had 3 or 4. Reid could have bagged an undeserved equaliser at the death but that might have masked an unforgivable shambles against a really poor team.

Which is exactly what Rochdale did with O'Grady to good effect the other week. :?

Seems like we don't learn and think about how we're going to cope with teams exposing our weaker areas. :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 pm

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season