Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Cully
Site Addict

Re: Hartlepool United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/9/10.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:21 am

Exile wrote:Not at all happy with that.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -shambles/

Excellent summing up PT.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Stating the obvious here, but our defence is a major problem. No one wins headers, no one marks & no one talks. The number of times Hartlepool played a ball into our box or lumped it forward and a Hartlepool player won it was unbelievable. I can't recall us winning many headers at all at the back. There number of times that their striker was just left standing inbetween two of our players, no one takes responsibility they just leave it to each other. Just look at Hartlepool's 2nd goal, who was marking the player? No one was withing 5 yards of him. You may say Brain should've come for it, but that is no excuse for not picking up your men.

Going forward we looked dangerous in the first half. So I'm not worried about the forward line. Serious changes are needed at the back.

Personally, I think both Hutch & Mart should walk.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:44 pm

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but saw the goals on the Football League show last night. I have to say their second goal looked very poor, as the bloke had a free header at the back post.
However, the girl who reads out the e-mails on the FLS read out one from a Poolie fan who said their keeper was outstanding yesterday. Can some one confirm if this is true as the reports so far suggest we really didn't test their keeper much after taking an early lead?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Stating the obvious here, but our defence is a major problem. No one wins headers, no one marks & no one talks. The number of times Hartlepool played a ball into our box or lumped it forward and a Hartlepool player won it was unbelievable. I can't recall us winning many headers at all at the back. There number of times that their striker was just left standing inbetween two of our players, no one takes responsibility they just leave it to each other. Just look at Hartlepool's 2nd goal, who was marking the player? No one was withing 5 yards of him. You may say Brain should've come for it, but that is no excuse for not picking up your men.

Going forward we looked dangerous in the first half. So I'm not worried about the forward line. Serious changes are needed at the back.

Personally, I think both Hutch & Mart should walk.

I'm not Brain bashing but he seemed so focused on his wall he didn't notice Monkhouse waiting for the cross with not one defender in touching distance of him.
The defenders have to take some blame but shouldn'd he have seen Monkhouse and be screaming at someone to mark him ?

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:20 pm

got back from hartlepoola couple of hours ago
no i didnt walk back we actually stayed over and made a night of it.
firstly i havent read every post on here so forgive me if i repeat any of previous posts.

this match was there for the taking.
these opponents should have beaten out of sight.
they had a makeshift team because of injuries and we started quite brighly and was no doubt we deserved to take the lead.
even after we scored we looked bright but lacked a cutting edge and looked very nervous.
the after about half a hour it seemed as though the players suddenly thought that they would stop trying and the momentum swung back hartlepools way.
it was inevitable that they would equalise and they did just before half time.
couldnt see much of it but looked like it looped in at far post.
the second half we just never came out.
the home domination continued and was no suprise to see monkhouse head in very unmarked at far post again.
not one walsall marker anywhere near him for the set piece.
we huffed and puffed but it was just the same old hoof it rubbish with no pattern or quality from any player.
wasnt suprised that we lost this im convinced if we had momentum we would have won it in times gone by.

5 league games on spin defeated six if you include cup.
21 games without clean sheet i think it is now.

the manager must be sacked to rescue our season. 3 names we came up with on long drive home this morning were jim magilton steve tillson and my personal favourite mark kinsella although dont rule out craig shakespeare. sach him tomorrow put oconnor in charge for tuesdays game and then see who applies.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Didn't go to the game, but looking at how the game went, could Hutchings not have justified at least one more substitution?

The thing that worries me most is that he's not getting the best from his players. Shortly behind that in terms of concern is that he has that much faith in his failing team that he's desperately reluctant to make substitutions.

By all accounts, we were second best all over yesterday. They scored what turned out to be the winner after just 10 minutes of the second half. Could Paterson or Marshall been used to change things?

Hutch, I think it's time to go.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 pm

I think its more that he has no faith in the subs, thinks they're too young no exp, etc. He only has 13 players he thinks are really good enough for the first team. The rest are making up numbers at the moment. And because he only really rates 13 of them, the starting 11 isnt really changing. So we have no plan b. Could we go down? Yes, if we dont stop this horrible run soon we could find ourselves in relegation by a clear 7-8 points. And once you're in that kind of mess it's difficult to get out of. We need a new man in charge to encourage the lads and give them the belief they need. Hutch out, martin allen in.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Pool highlights or should it read low lights

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm
HUTCHINGS OUT

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season