Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 18/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Re: Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 18/9/10.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Zippy wrote:
Zece_WFC wrote:No one expects us to be in first place winning every game... but people don't pay hard earned money on a season ticket to see us lose 5 in a row... get a grip.

I am gutted, just like the rest of us, when we lose.

Ok, we have lost 5 in a row, no doubt, we will win 5 in a row before the end of the season if not more.

I just do not subscribe to the premature panic senario.

So how many more defeats is it going to take before you suddenly realise we're getting nowhere apart from lower and lower...

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Zippy wrote: we will win 5 in a row before the end of the season if not more.

Want some money on that mate?

rusky
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Any chance of a match report for those of us unable to make it please?

Zippy
Glitterati

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:47 pm

rusky wrote:Any chance of a match report for those of us unable to make it please?

From the OS.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/MatchRep ... 28,00.html

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:49 pm

yoda wrote:
Zippy wrote: we will win 5 in a row before the end of the season if not more.

Want some money on that mate?

I'll have me some of that wager: no chance of us winning five on the spin based on what i've seen thus far this season.

Swindon could have been 4 up at half time-passed around us and i for the life of me couldn't work out the formation or where Gray was meant to be playing.

Mind you, must have been 90 seconds between us hitting post at corner and them scoring-could have been so different but don't think we ever deserved more than a point

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:58 pm

There you go Zip, buddy; If you truely believe we'll win 5 in a row you've got a chance to make a heck of a lot here from me and Deanonev

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 pm

yoda wrote:Not expecting to lose 5 out of 6 home games is not unreasonable

Yes we're a league one side, but so are all the other teams (except Chesterfield!) so even by chance we should have a better record than that. But we dont, so somethign is wrong.

Accepting 5 defeats from 6 home games is a very defeatist attitude.

What can you do other than accept it, unless your name happens to be JW Bonser?

I am not happy with this situation (never mind the sizeable financial loss I will suffer from a bad season), but I still have faith that we will put it right. I am not expecting promotion, nor relegation this season.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Zece_WFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Depends on your job, I suppose. If you are paid to think rather than to graft, then one good idea a week could pay your salary many times over.

A striker may do virtually nothing for much of the game, but take his chances well. A goalkeeper may be a virtual spectator for most of the match but make the crucial save when required.

But the striker and goalkeeper should still be working for 90 minutes and concentrating.
Please dont try and justify the lack of the team playing for 90 minutes, because it cannot be justified.
Its a DISGRACE!

How do you know that they were not playing for 90 minutes? Did some of them come off for a lie down? Maybe had a chat amongst themselves? They are Div 3 players being paid beer money (comparitively) for Gods sake.

They may not play WELL for 90 minutes, Ok, but that's no different to the vast majority of players of this standard.

They didn't START playing until the second half... it was just utter rubbish the first half and if Swindon actually knocked it up a notch, we'd of easily of been 4 down by the break.

I accept that, it's part of supporting a medicre Div 3 club. I worked that out 30 odd years ago. Sometimes we have good days aswell :)

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
yoda wrote:Not expecting to lose 5 out of 6 home games is not unreasonable

Yes we're a league one side, but so are all the other teams (except Chesterfield!) so even by chance we should have a better record than that. But we dont, so somethign is wrong.

Accepting 5 defeats from 6 home games is a very defeatist attitude.

What can you do other than accept it, unless your name happens to be JW Bonser?

I am not happy with this situation (never mind the sizeable financial loss I will suffer from a bad season), but I still have faith that we will put it right. I am not expecting promotion, nor relegation this season.

It was in response to Zippys post that hinted we expect too much. To me, it felt like he'd accepted our poor streak because we're "a poorly supported league one team" (even though we're not exactly playing Premiership teams here, but there you go).

A lot of us are getting restless and are discussing what we can do, where we can pick up points, the merits of Hutch etc. As much as I like Zippy his post felt like accepting below par results.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Zece_WFC wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:Yes they do Chester, but do we? No we dont, we play some ok football and are not successful.

Ooo he surfaces straight after the game....

Why this comment?

Have I slated the support? No I have not. So I dont see why this little dig was needed really.

And that was posted about 55 mins after the end of the game, so no it wasnt straight after the game.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Right, where to start? Well, first of all, unlike previous weeks, there can be no argument to suggest that we may have deserved to win that game - we weren't good enough anywhere on the pitch to deserve more than a point.

For the first 25 minutes, we were dreadful. Having two oafs at centre half just isn't getting us anywhere. All Smith & McDonald are in the team for is to win their headers and do the basic defensive stuff. They don't do that though. All too often, it just takes a couple of yards' movement from an opposition striker to create a decent chance. Add to that the fact that they continue to aimlessly hoof the ball forward and it's no wonder the ball ends up in the back of our net more often than our oppositions'.

We improved towards the end of the first half as we made use of the impressive McGivern going forward, and Marshall and Davis started committing themselves forward a bit more often when we finally managed to get the ball on the floor.

We saw more of the ball in the second half and they were restricted to attacking us on the break. That said, a breakaway within a couple of minutes of our equaliser was all they needed to put us to bed.
Gray looked typically dis-interested, and Byfield looked way off the pace. Macken was neat and tidy, but he can only do so much with the service he gets. Reid added some movement to our front line when he came on, but again, we didn't make much use of him.

It was another game where no individual was noticeably awful, but the balance just isn't right, and the manager has to take some of the flak for that. Brain couldn't have done anything about either goal and made one good save when their striker was clean through - proving that calls to drop him were unnecessary.

I thought McGivern and Davis showed why they'll be returning to Premier League clubs after their respective loan spells - they were probably our 2 best players. McGivern bombed up and down the left for the whole of the second forty-five to good effect, and Davis looks every part the all-action midfielder we've been lacking. Richards continued his consistent form of this season with a solid performance, even if that did require him to cover here there and everywhere at times.

My biggest concern is at centre half. Smith and McDonald don't have the concentration levels between them to shackle strikers for 90 minutes. And neither of them can play the ball along the ground into midfield, which just leaves us with the likes of Macken, Byfield and a lethargic Julian Gray chasing shadows. I can't understand why Lancashire sits on the bench while these two morons continue to struggle at centre half. Bringing Davis into midfield has improved our ability to win the ball in the middle of the park, but we need to change things at centre half if we're going to stop this shambles of just letting teams have free reign of dangerous areas.

The system also went completely out of the window in the second half. McGivern seemed to have the entire left side to himself, and Gray seemed to be sitting in front of the back four. Reid came on and played somewhere up front, but nowhere in particular, whilst Byfield just hovered wherever.

I'd defended Hutchings up to now, but today has made me think twice. The choice of personnel at centre half, a system which is unbalanced to say the least, and the fact that the likes of Julian Gray look like they'd rather be anywhere else than on a football pitch are all observations that the manager should have control over.

And to make things worse, we had an extra 800 or so home fans present after the efforts of the club over the last couple of weeks.What a let down.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Our support got exactly what it deserved today...it was, yet again, apalling!

And before anybody harps on about the team exciting the crowd - no - i have been going to Walsall for years and we used to sing every players name before the game got underway....now we don't sing a single song!

Third rate supprt

Third rate performance

What do you expect?

Additionally, it is now actually getting the point where questions can be raised abount the manager HOWEVER all those calling for his head are still, imo, nuts. At the end of the day the club is going nowhere no matter who is in charge.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 18/9/10.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:34 pm

wfc_rob has it spot on. Smith needs an eternity to make a decision when he has the ball, and usually makes a bad one. McDonald doesn't decide anything. He just instinctively clears his lines any way he can.

And a brief message for the long-haired, bespectacled young man in the Floors2Go middle two rows back from me who saw fit to boo the announcement of Richards as MoM: you're a t***.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:57 pm

King Crimson wrote:wfc_rob has it spot on. Smith needs an eternity to make a decision when he has the ball, and usually makes a bad one. McDonald doesn't decide anything. He just instinctively clears his lines any way he can.

And a brief message for the long-haired, bespectacled young man in the Floors2Go middle two rows back from me who saw fit to boo the announcement of Richards as MoM: you're a t***.

Was it Phil wearing a disguise?

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:00 pm

McDonald is awful , how can he start ahead of lancashire ??? another dire game , only brightness came for 15 mins spell in the second half , Hutch is a clueless manager get rid now before its too late

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:01 pm

That's 5 defeats on the bounce , 19 games without a clean sheet , another dire performance under a dire manager .

Not to worry Hutch is doing a good job :roll:

Hutchings out

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:06 pm

First half we were terrible. it could of been 4 easily.

Brain should of saved the first.

2nd half we played much better, Richards had one of his better games with a good range of passing. I really have no idea about the formation, seemed to chnage every 5 minutes. Gray was effortless, Marshall didn't do much at all, Davies looked ok but nothing more. Macken looks a quality player and i actually feel really sorry for him playing in that team.

Why was reid on the bench? Why did Westlake come on for davies when we losing the game?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:09 pm

saddlerJP wrote: Why did Westlake come on for davies when we losing the game?

Because we dont have a center midfielder on the bench.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:12 pm

yoda wrote:It was in response to Zippys post that hinted we expect too much. To me, it felt like he'd accepted our poor streak because we're "a poorly supported league one team" (even though we're not exactly playing Premiership teams here, but there you go).

A lot of us are getting restless and are discussing what we can do, where we can pick up points, the merits of Hutch etc. As much as I like Zippy his post felt like accepting below par results.

As I stated earlier, I don't like defeats, but it's the same every time we lose or draw, the knives come out.

I think everyone knows that I see Reality, the Reality of being a Saddler is taking the very rough, with the occasional smooth.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:13 pm

A really good football match, much better than the last effort against Colchester.

Two teams who tried to play on the deck where momentum ebbed and flowed throughout the ninety minutes. Douglas and Prutton had the game by the scruff of the neck for half an hour and it seemd that the dominance of those two quality players would mean that Swindon would have a comfortable afternoon. We battled back really well and could well have gone in level. If that had been an injustice given Swindon's earlier domination, it was certainly no injustice when we equalised having played some stirring stuff, getting down the flanks and putting in some telling ball.

Just like against Colchester though, we go from hitting the post to conceding the loser within about 30 seconds. A swindon shot destined for the corner flag diverted passed a wrong-footed brain. Cue even more pressure from us to no avail.

We look decent going forward and frighteningly fragile at the back which makes for the sort of excitement we have seen in the last couple of weeks. Would just be nice for us to win by the odd goal in a thriller for a change.

All in all an entertaining game in front of about 800 extra spectators that we just came out the wrong side of. Hardly time for the Valium.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:13 pm

saddlerJP wrote:Why did Westlake come on for davies when we losing the game?

Anything to do with Davis being carried off on a stretcher?
Hutchings out! how stupid of him to sub an injured player.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:Why did Westlake come on for davies when we losing the game?

Anything to do with Davis being carried off on a stretcher?
Hutchings out! how stupid of him to sub an injured player.

I dont think that is what he was saying, I think he was asking why bring on a right back for a midfielder.

worzel999
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Shambles.

What does go on in Hutch's mind?
How can a team go onto the pitch not knowing their roles?
How can you play this 4-3-3 systems and not have people helping out the full backs?
How can you have Gray the only winger we have, play right down the middle?

My summary:

Brain - Little to do, but found wanting when it mattered.
Lescott - Good display used the ball well and supported the midfield well.
McGiven - Moved forward well into the space. Got caught out at times (but due to lack of defensive cover from the system). Let himself down with poor delivery.
Smith & McDonald - Just doesn't look right at the moment. Their strikers had the better of it but I would expect better from our centre back. I think we are missing a Vincent type head in the middle of the defence.
Davies - Looked good going forward, but did nothing defensively. Didn't do the graft we needed in midfield.
Richards - MOM - Played well, used the ball really well. Others should take note and want to get involved like Richards does. He may not be the best but I admire him for always wanting the ball and trying to use it simply.
Marshall - Invisible.
Gray - Did OK, but he should really take a game by the scruff of the neck with his ability (and for what we probably pay him). The only naturally wide player we had on the pitch and we play him down the middle. Why?
Byfield - Worked hard, ran the channels well and got back to help out. But in typical Byfield fashion does not look a goal threat.
Macken - Did well for the goal, but doe he offer anything in the build up? We need balls into the box for him to prosper.
Subs -
Westlake - Tidy when he came on.
Reid - Took his goal well, looks tidy on the ball. He must be worth spending the Deeney money on.
Nicholls - Not enough time to impact the game.

Whilst I don't expect us to win every week, I expect more that what i have seen this season. I went today expecting us to loose. I put that down to the Management.

Did we play better in the second half or did Swindon allow us back in. They did score straight after we had equalised, so who knows. And they missed a shedload of opportunities to put the game to bed, without really making Brain work too hard.

2 Away matches up next, which I don't see a win being there, but who knows with Walsall.

I personally think Hutch has to Go.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Just time for a quick post.

Leaving lanc out again we will always end up hoofing the ball out. As has been mentioned I couldn't see a formation as such.

The swindon fans had it right about our support.

We were quiet untill reid gave up summat to cheer about although the goal was almost comical in the making.

The atmosphere in the 5 mins after our goal was immense.

Brain played alot better than last week even stopping a 1 on 1 still nervous at times.

Shame to those who boo'ed when his name was announced as was that of richards. Talk about getting behind your team!!

The first half hour we were p poor and I thought the worst.

But the second half we were alot better going forward and as hutch says with some quality deliverys we could have salvaged a point.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Zippy wrote:
yoda wrote:It was in response to Zippys post that hinted we expect too much. To me, it felt like he'd accepted our poor streak because we're "a poorly supported league one team" (even though we're not exactly playing Premiership teams here, but there you go).

As I stated earlier, I don't like defeats, but it's the same every time we lose or draw, the knives come out.

I think everyone knows that I see Reality, the Reality of being a Saddler is taking the very rough, with the occasional smooth.

As Saddlers you have expect defeats , what I cannot except is dire performance after dire performance .

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm

Because we dont have a center midfielder on the bench.

good point, right back is a clear way to combat that problem and win the match

Pangloss Saddler

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:02 pm

An excellent game which was appreciated by a pleasingly higher turnout of Saddlers fans.
Richards covered every blade of grass on the pitch and fully deserved his MOTM award.
As I have said many times, the Saddlers were unfortunate to lose yet another game by the odd goal.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Pangloss Saddler wrote:An excellent game which was appreciated by a pleasingly higher turnout of Saddlers fans.
Richards covered every blade of grass on the pitch and fully deserved his MOTM award.
As I have said many times, the Saddlers were unfortunate to lose yet another game by the odd goal.

Hello Chris Hutchings

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Our main weakness today was the fact that we had no width. Practically everything went down the middle. When we did get it outwide and attempted to actually put a cross in the box, it was often left down to McGivern whose corssing was woeful to say the least. This was not helped by our only winger on the pitch, Gray was sitting in the middle of the park. We basically had 4 men in centre midfield!

Second of all ur defence is so fragile. In my opinion Smith should be dropped for Lancashire as he is the weak point. Whats the point in having 4 CM's if you're going to hoof it over their heads everytime we win the ball back?

We need some structure to our play. We need an actual formation and the players to have instructions on what their role is. We were 1-0 down and looking clueless today so what does Hutch do? Sits there doing nothing. What does O'Connor do? Stand there doing nothing. What does Byfield do? Walks around the pitch doing nothing. We two clueless idiots off the pitch and a captain that realy isn't captain material. Everything about the way we set up today was wrong and led to the inevitable defeat.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Pangloss Saddler wrote:An excellent game which was appreciated by a pleasingly higher turnout of Saddlers fans.

How many times are we gunna be unfortunate to lose though?

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season