Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:22 pm

bangsection wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I had a great time yesterday.

No one moaned about Bonser, no one moaned about Richards, everyone supported the team.

It was like a flashback.

Were yow wearing a red puma tracksuit top yesterday, FBIG?

If so, your man stubble was resplendent.

I was my dear boy. How come I did not get a black power fisting?

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:31 pm

No one moaned about Bonser, no one moaned about Richards, everyone supported the team.

It was like a flashback.

That is good to hear

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:07 pm

When's Rene coming back?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:No surprise that the people blaming Hutchings didn't go to the game. Three pathetic individual errors cost us that game. Not Hutchings. We were completely outplaying them with some nice football until Brain messed up and the confidence sapped away. You can't blame Hutchings for yesterday. Feel free to blame him if he doesn't play Bevan next week.

I don't understand why people say this is the weakest squad we've had for ages. Its far better than last season, but admittedly still needs work in midfield, and I agree with KC about Lancashire, get him in for Mcdonald who is a clumsy oaf with. A poor man's Ian Roper.

One man went to mow...

Oh Didier, Didier Tholot....

Jim'll fix it for you, and you, and you...

Shellsuit supporter....

Ooooh Gabby, oooooooh, oooooooh Gabby ooooooooooh...

Hmmmm. Yes - we should all support a manager who has taken us on a run of 4 consecutive defeats, awful performances, gone out of two cup competitions and signed a pathetic goalkeepeer.

I think people on another thread said you were losing the plot.... you are!

1.2.3, 1.2.3

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Well, Most who were there yesterday clapped the team off, most of the team came and clapped us back (apart from Brain who missed his hands while trying to clap) Super support...a real flashback. xxx

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 pm

bangsection wrote:

It was like a flashback.

FBiG is a Rupert Everett look-a-like but the real giveaway is the "I love gorgeous Gary" t-shirt :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:No surprise that the people blaming Hutchings didn't go to the game. Three pathetic individual errors cost us that game. Not Hutchings. We were completely outplaying them with some nice football until Brain messed up and the confidence sapped away. You can't blame Hutchings for yesterday. Feel free to blame him if he doesn't play Bevan next week.

I don't understand why people say this is the weakest squad we've had for ages. Its far better than last season, but admittedly still needs work in midfield, and I agree with KC about Lancashire, get him in for Mcdonald who is a clumsy oaf with. A poor man's Ian Roper.

One man went to mow...

Shellsuit supporter....

Hmmmm. Yes - we should all support a manager who has taken us on a run of 4 consecutive defeats, awful performances, gone out of two cup competitions and signed a pathetic goalkeepeer.

I think people on another thread said you were losing the plot.... you are!

1.2.3, 1.2.3

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Not at all. I just have the ability to look at facts, keep a level head and take things into perspective, unlike most on here. Let me remind you of our results this time last year, when the same over reaction was occuring from our "loyal fanbase" :roll:

Football League One Brighton 0-1 Walsall 08-08-2009
Football League One Walsall 2-2 Southend 15-08-2009
Football League One Walsall 1-2 Leeds 18-08-2009
Football League One Charlton 2-0 Walsall 22-08-2009
Football League One Walsall 0-0 Gillingham 29-08-2009
Football League One Norwich 0-0 Walsall 05-09-2009
Football League One Tranmere 2-3 Walsall 12-09-2009

That's 9 points from the same number of games this time last year when people were also jumping at every opportunity to criticise Hutchings/Bonser/the club cleaner. We went on to finish 10th in a much stronger division.

We are currently on 6 points and in my opinion, the balance of play has deserved more and individual errors have cost us. Yesterday would have been 9 points, but for two silly errors. Ince was culpable for many similar incidents so let's not use that as an excuse for criticising Hutching's recruitment policy, which has been far better than many recent managers if comparing relative budgets. Three of the games we have lost in the league are in the top 10 and currently on form. We will have a period of form too, just as those clubs will lose a few games in a short spell.

The individual errors will reduce when the new players are more familiar with each other, and other key players, currently out will return to the team. When was the last Walsall squad that had the choice and quality of forward players such as Macken, Byfield, Gray, Jones, Reid, Nicholls, Paterson? Not for a long time in my opinion. Defences always improve when they play a number of games together, something that our defence is suffering from at the moment, and Lancashire needs to come back in.

Hutchings isn't perfect. No manager at any club will ever be perfect. No manager at Walsall FC will ever be perfect.

If Hutchings is sacked now it will be a disaster, and the typical short term-ism that has blighted Walsall FC over the years. Lets see where things are in another month or so. At least the real fans are getting behind the team.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
bangsection wrote:

It was like a flashback.

FBiG is a Rupert Everett look-a-like but the real giveaway is the "I love gorgeous Gary" t-shirt :lol:

Om yow on crack, Bob? I look about as much like Rupert as much as you look like Rob Redford, you sexy old peach.

bangsection
Site Addict

Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
bangsection wrote:

It was like a flashback.

I was my dear boy. How come I did not get a black power fisting?

I just wanted to make sure it was you - to be honest, after clocking you destroy that pie at half time, I wasn't left in much doubt.

I'll come up and say hello next time. I might even let you smell my glove!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I am to pies, what Hitler was to the Jews.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 pm

In my opinion Hutchings got the tactics spot on yesterday. It's just a shame Brain decided to be the 12th man for Rochdale!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Pedagogue wrote:FBiG is a Rupert Everett look-a-like but the real giveaway is the "I love gorgeous Gary" t-shirt :lol:

Om yow on crack, Ped? I look about as much like Rupert as much as you look like Rob Redford, you sexy old peach.

Now, I ay ar kid. My many admirers liken me to George Clooney or Brad Pitt, actually :D :D .

To be serious for a moment, when I was watching "Who Do You Think You Are" recently, when it featured Rupert Everett, I was struck by the resemblance to you, what with his face fungus and all that. Try to see if you can still watch it on BBC iPlayer and you will see what I mean.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:FBiG is a Rupert Everett look-a-like but the real giveaway is the "I love gorgeous Gary" t-shirt :lol:

Om yow on crack, Ped? I look about as much like Rupert as much as you look like Rob Redford, you sexy old peach.

Now, I ay ar kid. My many admirers liken me to George Clooney or Brad Pitt, actually :D :D .

To be serious for a moment, when I was watching "Who Do You Think You Are" recently, when it featured Rupert Everett, I was struck by the resemblance to you, what with his face fungus and all that. Try to see if you can still watch it on BBC iPlayer and you will see what I mean.

Hmmmm... Needs less hair. He's no shaven headed Gattuso or Lisandro Lopez, but he may be able to join the club one day.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Well, Most who were there yesterday clapped the team off, most of the team came and clapped us back (apart from Brain who missed his hands while trying to clap)

:lol: :lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:20 pm

One man went to mow...

Shellsuit supporter....

i didn't go to Rochdale , Westlake was superb against Colchester yet dropped for this game why explain that ,

Wake up smell the coffee individual errors or not Hutchings is rubbish

Lone Striker

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:59 pm

The answer is simple - McGivern is a quality left back and has to be first choice in that position. Lescott is currently a better option at right back than Westlake and therefore gets selected in that position. For all the promise that Westlake shows, in my opinion he is still a bit lightweight and tactically gets into bad positions. He is also weak in the air defensively and on more than one occasion this weakness has been exploited by the opposition. Not saying Westlake is a bad player, however, currently Lescott and McGivern are correctly first choice and the hope is that Westlake develops and his game improves so everybody benefits.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

No we lost because Matt Richards played.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:20 pm

In how many other jobs would you be expected to be a world beater after 12 months in the hotseat, working with a limited budget and under a demanding set of watchers who'll second guess everything you do, usually with the benefit of hindsight?

From what I've heard Walsall have played some much better stuff already this year, and if we'd not had (Man with no) Brain in goal we'd be looking at a much healthier points tally. I'm interested in seeing how this develops over a season.

Of couse, if Brain is still in goal on Saturday and we lose, all bets are off! :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Exile wrote:In how many other jobs would you be expected to be a world beater after 12 months in the hotseat, working with a limited budget and under a demanding set of watchers who'll second guess everything you do, usually with the benefit of hindsight?

From what I've heard Walsall have played some much better stuff already this year, and if we'd not had (Man with no) Brain in goal we'd be looking at a much healthier points tally. I'm interested in seeing how this develops over a season.

Of couse, if Brain is still in goal on Saturday and we lose, all bets are off! :D

One of the joys of being a football fan aint it? Lucky enough to work once a week for a decent wage. As soon as they act human we can be vile to them. :mrgreen:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:28 am

Duke wrote:

One man went to mow...

Shellsuit supporter....

i didn't go to Rochdale , Westlake was superb against Colchester yet dropped for this game why explain that ,

Wake up smell the coffee individual errors or not Hutchings is rubbish

If you think Westlake was superb, its you who needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Westlake hasn't been anywhere near superb since the spell when he first broke into the team and looked very promising. Since then he has gone backwards.

Lescott doesn't look comfortable when McGivern is out and he has to play on the wrong side, but was one of our better players on Saturday. In fact both full backs played well.

Like you say, you didn't go. If you had you wouldn't be judging the game on a score you've seen in the paper and on the internet. The team played pretty well, Jonny Brain didnt. We conceded two goals due to him, and another because of a pathetic needless tackle leading to the penalty when the ball was going out. Watch them on the TV then try and tell me differently.

Hutchings will lead us to mid table again, at least, and I'll have a £50 bet with you on that Dave.

You do realise if Hutchings went, we would end up with someone like Mullen again. Don't worry about the out of work manager list. who you think we could get, because we wouldnt. It would be someone that long out of work they'd have dropped off the bottom of the list.

So you wake up, realise we're about the same as we've always been, a mid table Division 3 team trying, but failing to be more, and support the fudge team. In other words get behind the lads.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:07 am

When's Jimmy coming back?!! :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:22 am

latviancheese wrote:No we lost because Matt Richards played.

Mind you, If Taundry played then for some he would have been the reason we lost, both of them now set up for pantomime villainy.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:28 am

derbysaddler wrote:

Mind you, If Taundry played then for some he would have been the reason we lost, both of them now set up for pantomime villainy.

Let's face it, with our fans, they're all marked from the start!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 am

derbysaddler wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if there's a correlation between our clean sheets, and where Richards has played? Oh yes...there is! Our last 4 clean sheets, Richards has either not started the game, or he's played left midfield. And Taundry, by the way, started each of our last 4 clean sheets in central midfield.

Although you cant lay the whole blame for the lack of clean sheets at Richards' door, it does appear that he has the uncanny brilliance to correlate his appearances in central midfield with our inability to keep a clean sheet, whereas Taundry, who according to some is useless, has the uncanny ability to play his part in keeping a clean sheet.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:09 am

philthesaddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if there's a correlation between our clean sheets, and where Richards has played? Oh yes...there is! Our last 4 clean sheets, Richards has either not started the game, or he's played left midfield. And Taundry, by the way, started each of our last 4 clean sheets in central midfield.

Although you cant lay the whole blame for the lack of clean sheets at Richards' door, it does appear that he has the uncanny brilliance to correlate his appearances in central midfield with our inability to keep a clean sheet, whereas Taundry, who according to some is useless, has the uncanny ability to play his part in keeping a clean sheet.

And yes, I made sure it was for women.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:40 am

philthesaddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Yes but Taundry has also played during many of the games which we didnt keep a clean sheet. So that argument isnt valid.
Also, Richards is our best performing centre midfielder at the moment, so to move him to a different position or take him out the side would be clueless.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:41 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Yes but Taundry has also played during many of the games which we didnt keep a clean sheet. So that argument isnt valid.
Also, Richards is our best performing centre midfielder at the moment, so to move him to a different position or take him out the side would be clueless.

I did look up Taundry's appearance rate... It was more than 4.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:51 am

That "penalty" was a joke.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Image

And yes, I made sure it was for women.

benbo85

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 pm

complete garbage, about as good a comment as jon brains handling. a culmination of jon "erectile disfunction, complete flopper" brain and albeit hard for me to say, hutchings panicing after they got the 3rd and changing the tactics. all these who criticise hutchings generally is a joke, he did however get it wrong 2nd half, and the decision to bring paterson on although he made a couple of nice touches, was strange?

the reason we lost on sat was purely for 2 reasons, 1 jon (see above) brain and mcdonald;s cockyness/clumsyness. other than the goals they got they were poor and wreaked of a relegation side imho. dawson who albion have signed was a shadow on manny smith, all over the pitch they were second rate, was irate pretty much from when brain dropped corner until i stopped off at boozer somewhere in peak district. we played for large parts of the game very well, davis was a real bonus and up until there third we were spot on tactically. the players are letting the manager down big time. if brain is not dropped for swindon im not sure as to what more if anything he can do badly to warrant being dropped, big decision for hutchings so im told, not for me bevan deserves a chance after sat.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season