Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:36 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:If we were getting battered, I would be worrying, but we are not.

I am sure those that attended today will concur with the commentary that we played well and lost due to two goalkeeping howlers.

Hutchings can't be blamed for the two goals, but he has to take responsibility for signing a goalkeeper with such a questionable pedigree.

Is it not as worrying, if not more, knowing even when we're on top of sides for the majority of the game we cant win?

I understand your point, Dan. I prefer to support the Manager whilst he sorts out the problems. We have played 6 league games and in each game have won or lost by the odd goal with some decent performances. I think our squad is Ok, minus a decent 'keeper and midfielder (which the new signings may have satisfied) and it is Hutchings squad.

Hutchings was not my dream appointment, but given he is here and has done OK so far, I am prepared to remain patient for the time being.

Continually changing Managers rarely works.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:41 pm

I also have stood by Hutch and have only said once he should be sacked now, and that was after a dier performance, straight after the game when emotions were running high! I did take it back.
I thought he was a good appointment and I try and support him but I dunno.. Will things get better? A part of me would give him until after the Swindon game, a part of me thinks that would be harsh. Swindon are a good side and have just had a bad start. They're no mugs, they showed that by beating Southampton in the JPT and again today.

I also support the man in charge to sort out our problems, but the big question is, can he? I'm unsure at the moment.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Yeah and continually sticking with a useless manager *cough*Merson*cough* rarely does any good either.

Get rid of the clueless prat now.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:47 pm

didnt Brain concede 80 last season for Macclesfield? Is he going for a new personal best or something?

I still maintain our biggest problem is our defence - we simply don't keep it tight enough at the back - today, if we'd kept it tight at the back could have been 3 points, and would most probably have been 1 point.

Last weekend against Colchester- if we'd kept it tight at the back, it would have been a point.

Conceding like there is no tomorrow is where our problem lies and it really surprises me that Hutch isn't sorting it out.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:39 pm

philthesaddler wrote:didnt Brain concede 80 last season for Macclesfield? Is he going for a new personal best or something?

According to Soccerbase Brain conceded 58 goals for Macclesfield last season, and kept 11 clean sheets.

RealAleMadrid

Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Dropping Lancashire for McDonald is a massive backwards step IMO. Can't fathom why (after one poor display when unwell), Lancashire is suddenly the new boo-boy. He's a far better footballer than clumsy Clayton who again conceded the penalty today.

Oh wait, yes I get it now, Lancashire wasn't born in Walsall (a la the average Taundry) nor did his father play for us (a la Clayton). You're all free to commence booing...

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:15 pm

RealAleMadrid wrote:Dropping Lancashire for McDonald is a massive backwards step IMO. Can't fathom why (after one poor display when unwell), Lancashire is suddenly the new boo-boy. He's a far better footballer than clumsy Clayton who again conceded the penalty today.

Oh wait, yes I get it now, Lancashire wasn't born in Walsall (a la the average Taundry) nor did his father play for us (a la Clayton). You're all free to commence booing...

Ive started to notice Taundry being born in Walsall is strangely starting to work against him. So hes not boo'd? So what? Why pick him out? Do you want us to boo him? Theres 9 other players on the pitch other than Taundry and McDonald.

Its not like the guys terrible and only gets picked because hes from Walsall. I've honestly never seen a local lad catch flak like Taundry has on here in the last month.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:19 pm

philthesaddler wrote:didnt Brain concede 80 last season for Macclesfield? Is he going for a new personal best or something?

I still maintain our biggest problem is our defence - we simply don't keep it tight enough at the back - today, if we'd kept it tight at the back could have been 3 points, and would most probably have been 1 point.

Last weekend against Colchester- if we'd kept it tight at the back, it would have been a point.

Conceding like there is no tomorrow is where our problem lies and it really surprises me that Hutch isn't sorting it out.

I agree and the goals against column say it all .

My main gripe is the of dire performances under Hutchings , ok by all accounts we played well today but those better performances are to far a few between ,
Last week one defender Westlake played a blinder and got dropped.
The reason Huctching isn't sorting it out IMO is he hasn't a clue how to , get rid now before the rot sets in and we face a relegation battle,

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:23 pm

RealAleMadrid wrote:Dropping Lancashire for McDonald is a massive backwards step IMO. Can't fathom why (after one poor display when unwell), Lancashire is suddenly the new boo-boy. He's a far better footballer than clumsy Clayton who again conceded the penalty today.

Lancashire was in our defence for the first six matches this season - we failed to keep a clean sheet in any of them. Clayton McDonald was not at fault for the goal last week and I have not yet seen the goals conceded this week, but according to Mick Kearns two of them were directly the fault of the goalkeeper and the penalty decision was harsh. It hard to see why anyone who was not at Rochdale should assume that the main problem with our defence there was the absence of Lancashire and the presence of McDonald.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Duke wrote:

I agree and the goals against column say it all .

My main gripe is the of dire performances under Hutchings , ok by all accounts we played well today but those better performances are to far a few between ,
Last week one defender Westlake played a blinder and got dropped.
The reason Huctching isn't sorting it out IMO is he hasn't a clue how to , get rid now before the rot sets in and we face a relegation battle,

I think our defence (or lack of it) will be the reason we're worse than last season, and probably in a relegation scrap.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:28 pm

18 games with out a clean sheet that is relegation form

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:30 pm

We are seening now what I predicted 12 months ago. We've got the weakest squad of players we've had for some time in my opinion. To compete in midtable this season we needed to improve on last seasons squad and from what i've seen so far we are well down on that. As i've said so many times our defence will cost us. Westlake is learning, Lescott is better than I predicted, Smith is far far far too overated - very average at best, McDonald has found his standard with a run of games and Lancashire will be prove to be the best of a bad bunch in my opinion. We need some experience and leadership at the back quickly otherwise it's likely to be a long and very distressing season.

Lone Striker

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 pm

just back and how disappointing was that, having got ourselves in front with a good early goal and looking reasonably comfortable we gift them an equaliser when Brain dropped a routine corner unchallenged, with it went his confidence and the players in front of him. It looked basic stuff for a goalkeeper,and from that point a second for them always looked on the cards and sure enough a mix up between Brain and Smith gifted them a second. Byfield then equalises with a terrific strike, 30 yarder into the top corner and we go in level. Even second half until Madconald gets out paced and brings down their striker and they win a game that we should have taken at least a point from. We never really looked like scoring a third despite introduction of Reid and Patterson, in fact a fourth for them looked more likely.

Positives, promising debut from Davis, looks to get involved and not afraid to put his foot in. Full backs looked solid and Mcgivern put over a few quality crosses and is a quality full back at this level. Macken showed some nice touches and took his goal well, however, we lack creating anything of real quality in the final third despite some neat and tidy passing and controlling parts of the game. The frustration is that with those players on the pitch we should have taken a point and we didnt, just increasing the pressure on next weeks game.

Feel we really must play Lancashire next week, today we hoofed away good possesion on numerous occasions with long hopeful balls from back to front, despite Marshall, Richards and Davis all having capability to play when receiving the ball from the back four. In patches we played some neat and tidy football today, however, neither centre back looked comfortable in possesion and this is the one thing that Lancashire has shown in games he has played, afterall we have nothing to lose as no clean sheets tells its own story.

Re the goalkeeping situation, I would make the change next week, Brain just does not inspire confidence in the back four and looks to have a mistake in him most weeks. Four consecutive defeats does give the manager reason to make this kind of change.

Dissapointing today, we really should be getting results at places like Rochdale!

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Just got back, get rid of Brain from next week. At fault for the first two.... and oh my at the second. wait until you see it!!

Byfield's goal was an absolute screamer!!

Not really much to say other than we did play well and I can't remember them having many chances at all other than the goal.

But to reiterate.... drop Brain now!

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Hutchings won't have the balls to drop Brain you watch!

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Oh and a stunning atmosphere from us aswell today!! Very happy!! Lost my voice yet again but a lot of people chipped in today with literally about 5 minutes quiet from the 90!!!

Hope this sticks for next Saturday..

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:26 pm

A game we should have won.I ts strange to say, we conceded 3 goals and the defensive partnership of Smith and McDonald barely had a thing to do. Cue Johnny Brain. Dropping a regular floated corner completely un-challenged onto the boots of a rochdale players, after a nice finish from Macken to put us ahead. Next up a tame shot, literally a grass cutter regular collection, slips under his bodies/legs dale player taps in from a yard. Up the other end Byfield scored a screamer (best WFC player on the pitch by a mile). We started the second half well, nice build up, marshall had a cross shot tipped over and McDonald hit the bar with a header. Up the other end McDonald brings down Jones very clumsily although it was very debatable as to whether the ball was in the box, didnt look like it to me. After that we ran out of ideas which was very frustrating.

Positives. Davis did okay. Byfield crossed for Macken and scored a screamer, our best and most creative player by a mile. Lescott got forward well, but looks suspect at the back. Richards did okay and Macken got involved alot more than previously.

Negatives. Gray cant be arsed. Marshall is on par if not worse than both Mark Bradley and Josh O'Keefe. We've resorted to hoofing, which doesn't bring the best out of Byfield or Macken. Reid didnt touch the ball in the 15 or 20 minutes or so that he was on. Brain's the worst keeper since Paston.

I'd probably keep the same line up next week, perhaps bar Marshall if i was Hutch, but i'd play an out and out 4-4-2 instead of the almost 4-5-1 we played today, Byfield spent most of the game on the right wing in which he alternated with Gray during the second half.

We deserved all 3 points, but certainly a point and bar Johny Brain and one clumsy and debatable tackle/penalty we'd have won comfortably.

Wait till you see the goals. So bad its almost amusing.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:34 pm

My first game of the season. After seeing that I think we will bump along in the bottom half of the table and hopefully escape the drop ( just).
I thought it was a well taken first goal by macken, but then thought that for much of the first half that Rochdale were a much neater passing side than us even if there were no real threat.... until the two pub team defensive clangers ( sorry that is an insult to pub teams everywhere). At that point I thought that this was going to end up as 5-1 or similar score, but then that finish from Byfield was as fine a strike as you could wish to see at any level of football. At the start of the second half we seemed to be more attacking... was this a way of protecting our 'goalkeeper'? And then that clumsy challenge for the penalty... whether it was outside the area I don't know but it looked like a foul to me. After that I never thought that realistically that we were going to equalise even during the last few minutes of huff and puff. Loved some of the retro chants & thought the support was excellent.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Firstly and very surprisingly -where did that support come from today?It was a real blast from the past and even though we lost made the game a better alround experience.if only every game were like this one.
Onto the game.We should and would have won this one if not for Jonny Braindead.If Bevan can't get in the team after this he must be crap!
I would not exonorate MacDonald from blame though.It was a shocking challenge that cost us at least a point.Idiot!

I do agree with others though that Gray looked disinterested and Marshall is this seasons O'keefe.

JackoSaddler

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:27 pm

First half was great. The atmosphere was great the entire game. Shame the performance wasn't.

Brain is a liability. If he is our number 1, Bevan must be awful! Lets just hope not, and he gets a game next week.

McDonald. Why? Put Lancashire back in the team. The guy is slow and cant pass.
Smith- Gone down in my estimations this year. Doesnt seem interested at all!
Lescott- Thought he was solid, gets forward well.
McGivern- He cant pass along the floor. But his crosses were of a good standard, and he also seemed to be getting annoyed that all we were doing was passing backwards.

Gray- Better than last Saturday. Still not what he looked like last season
Davis- Played well IMO. Got stuck in, and played it simple. I like the look of him.
Richards- I have never rated him, and dont think i ever will. He can pass i will give him that, just never looks like he has any urgency! Not his worst game by all accounts though.
Marshall- Seems too weak, doesnt get stuck in.

Macken- Good finish, and he held the ball up well. Probably one of the best players today.
Byfield- Fantastic goal. He is one of the few that actually puts in the effort and wants to do well for the club.

Reid- Didnt do much
Patterson- Looks promising, Not much time to impact though.

Yes, we did play well for the first half. But if we are playing well, and not beating Rochdale, then we should be worried.

I also dont understand why we clapped them off at full time? Other than the first 5-10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, we didnt do ANYTHING.

Seen 6 games this season. Seen 6 losses.
Last edited by JackoSaddler on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:43 pm

We won that 2-1 and generally outplayed them....If, of course you take Brain out of the equasion.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:45 pm

I thought we played pretty well. The football at times was good, as we passed it around well. Unfortunately, we (or Brain to be more precise) shot us in the foot.

As said above the atmopshere was quality.

Just seen the goals on SSN. The two Brain errors looks even worse then they did live and McDonald's challenge was out the box.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Message for Hutch: You should be brainless.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Not defending Brain, But what the hell was Smith doing for their second goal ? Seemed to slide in infront of Brain but completly missed the ball. That said the idiot should still have saved it.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:25 am

Just seen it on TV and I am absolutely livid.

I think I mentioned on another thread that a 13 year old schoolboy would do better, scratch that, MMF would do better!

Terrible - I will be amazed if Bevan isn't in goal next week.

Dog face out.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:56 am

What a screamer Byfield's goal was, straight in the top corner.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 am

No surprise that the people blaming Hutchings didn't go to the game. Three pathetic individual errors cost us that game. Not Hutchings. We were completely outplaying them with some nice football until Brain messed up and the confidence sapped away. You can't blame Hutchings for yesterday. Feel free to blame him if he doesn't play Bevan next week.

I don't understand why people say this is the weakest squad we've had for ages. Its far better than last season, but admittedly still needs work in midfield, and I agree with KC about Lancashire, get him in for Mcdonald who is a clumsy oaf with. A poor man's Ian Roper.

One man went to mow...

Oh Didier, Didier Tholot....

Jim'll fix it for you, and you, and you...

Shellsuit supporter....

Ooooh Gabby, oooooooh, oooooooh Gabby ooooooooooh...

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 am

I had a great time yesterday.

No one moaned about Bonser, no one moaned about Richards, everyone supported the team.

It was like a flashback.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:24 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I had a great time yesterday.

No one moaned about Bonser, no one moaned about Richards, everyone supported the team.

It was like a flashback.

Were yow wearing a red puma tracksuit top yesterday, FBIG?

If so, your man stubble was resplendent.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season