Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Rochdale (A) League 1 Saturday 11/9/10.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 pm

benbo85 wrote:
latviancheese wrote:No we lost because Matt Richards played.

complete garbage, about as good a comment as jon brains handling. a culmination of jon "erectile disfunction, complete flopper" brain and albeit hard for me to say, hutchings panicing after they got the 3rd and changing the tactics. all these who criticise hutchings generally is a joke, he did however get it wrong 2nd half, and the decision to bring paterson on although he made a couple of nice touches, was strange?

the reason we lost on sat was purely for 2 reasons, 1 jon (see above) brain and mcdonald;s cockyness/clumsyness. other than the goals they got they were poor and wreaked of a relegation side imho. dawson who albion have signed was a shadow on manny smith, all over the pitch they were second rate, was irate pretty much from when brain dropped corner until i stopped off at boozer somewhere in peak district. we played for large parts of the game very well, davis was a real bonus and up until there third we were spot on tactically. the players are letting the manager down big time. if brain is not dropped for swindon im not sure as to what more if anything he can do badly to warrant being dropped, big decision for hutchings so im told, not for me bevan deserves a chance after sat.

Unfortunately, lad, you're about to get a mossive Delves shaped Whoosh.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
If you think Westlake was superb, its you who needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Westlake hasn't been anywhere near superb since the spell when he first broke into the team and looked very promising. Since then he has gone backwards.

Lescott doesn't look comfortable when McGivern is out and he has to play on the wrong side, but was one of our better players on Saturday. In fact both full backs played well.

Like you say, you didn't go. If you had you wouldn't be judging the game on a score you've seen in the paper and on the internet. The team played pretty well, Jonny Brain didnt. We conceded two goals due to him, and another because of a pathetic needless tackle leading to the penalty when the ball was going out. Watch them on the TV then try and tell me differently.

Hutchings will lead us to mid table again, at least, and I'll have a £50 bet with you on that Dave.

You do realise if Hutchings went, we would end up with someone like Mullen again. Don't worry about the out of work manager list. who you think we could get, because we wouldnt. It would be someone that long out of work they'd have dropped off the bottom of the list.

So you wake up, realise we're about the same as we've always been, a mid table Division 3 team trying, but failing to be more, and support the blinking team. In other words get behind the lads.

And your last sentence sums up why so many fans are not returning to Bescot. Lets just accept who we are and show zero ambition.
It took some time to filter through, but even Walsall fans get there in the end!
:roll:

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:21 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Mind you, If Taundry played then for some he would have been the reason we lost, both of them now set up for pantomime villainy.

Let's face it, with our fans, they're all marked from the start!

Hmm, I wonder if there's a correlation between our clean sheets, and where Richards has played? Oh yes...there is! Our last 4 clean sheets, Richards has either not started the game, or he's played left midfield. And Taundry, by the way, started each of our last 4 clean sheets in central midfield.

Although you cant lay the whole blame for the lack of clean sheets at Richards' door, it does appear that he has the uncanny brilliance to correlate his appearances in central midfield with our inability to keep a clean sheet, whereas Taundry, who according to some is useless, has the uncanny ability to play his part in keeping a clean sheet.

Not quite correct.

Our last clean sheet was vs Colchester at home last season.
Central midfield was Mattis & O'Keefe.

Vs Gillingham away it was Bradley & Mattis

It seems the only common link between all 4 games is Dwayne Mattis.
It appears what we need /lack then a tough tackling box to box player- maybe David Davis is the answer.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm

addo wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Mind you, If Taundry played then for some he would have been the reason we lost, both of them now set up for pantomime villainy.

Let's face it, with our fans, they're all marked from the start!

Hmm, I wonder if there's a correlation between our clean sheets, and where Richards has played? Oh yes...there is! Our last 4 clean sheets, Richards has either not started the game, or he's played left midfield. And Taundry, by the way, started each of our last 4 clean sheets in central midfield.

Although you cant lay the whole blame for the lack of clean sheets at Richards' door, it does appear that he has the uncanny brilliance to correlate his appearances in central midfield with our inability to keep a clean sheet, whereas Taundry, who according to some is useless, has the uncanny ability to play his part in keeping a clean sheet.

Not quite correct.

Our last clean sheet was vs Colchester at home last season.
Central midfield was Mattis & O'Keefe.

Vs Gillingham away it was Bradley & Mattis

It seems the only common link between all 4 games is Dwayne Mattis.
It appears what we need /lack then a tough tackling box to box player- maybe David Davis is the answer.

Didnt we play 3 across the middle the those games though?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:35 pm

The point remains though, that you need to dominate midfield in order to dominate a game, and with Matt Richards in central midfield we dont dominate central midfield, whereas with Dwayne Mattis plus Taundry, Bradley etc, we did.

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm

All of those games were as a 4-4-2 I believe.

I think that it goes more to proving that you need to actually play midfield players in midfield.
Both Richards & Taundry, to my mind, are fullbacks.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Duke wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:No surprise that the people blaming Hutchings didn't go to the game. Three pathetic individual errors cost us that game. Not Hutchings. We were completely outplaying them with some nice football until Brain messed up and the confidence sapped away. You can't blame Hutchings for yesterday. Feel free to blame him if he doesn't play Bevan next week.

I don't understand why people say this is the weakest squad we've had for ages. Its far better than last season, but admittedly still needs work in midfield, and I agree with KC about Lancashire, get him in for Mcdonald who is a clumsy oaf with. A poor man's Ian Roper.

One man went to mow...

Oh Didier, Didier Tholot....

Jim'll fix it for you, and you, and you...

Shellsuit supporter....

Ooooh Gabby, oooooooh, oooooooh Gabby ooooooooooh...

i didn't go to Rochdale , Westlake was superb against Colchester yet dropped for this game why explain that ,

Wake up smell the coffee individual errors or not Hutchings is rubbish

If you think Westlake was superb, its you who needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Westlake hasn't been anywhere near superb since the spell when he first broke into the team and looked very promising. Since then he has gone backwards.

Lescott doesn't look comfortable when McGivern is out and he has to play on the wrong side, but was one of our better players on Saturday. In fact both full backs played well.

Like you say, you didn't go. If you had you wouldn't be judging the game on a score you've seen in the paper and on the internet. The team played pretty well, Jonny Brain didnt. We conceded two goals due to him, and another because of a pathetic needless tackle leading to the penalty when the ball was going out. Watch them on the TV then try and tell me differently.

Hutchings will lead us to mid table again, at least, and I'll have a £50 bet with you on that Dave.

You do realise if Hutchings went, we would end up with someone like Mullen again. Don't worry about the out of work manager list. who you think we could get, because we wouldnt. It would be someone that long out of work they'd have dropped off the bottom of the list.

So you wake up, realise we're about the same as we've always been, a mid table Division 3 team trying, but failing to be more, and support the blinking team. In other words get behind the lads.

Westlake was easily MOTM against Colchester , I'm delighted to read how well we played on saturday it makes a change from usual rubbish we churn out under Hucthings .
3 league defeats on the bounce , 2 points clear of the bottom ,18 games without a clen sheet,we face an inform Swindon on saturday followed by trips to Hartlepool and Orient where we rarely do well.

the warning signs are appearing .

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Duke wrote:
Westlake was easily MOTM against Colchester , I'm delighted to read how well we played on saturday it makes a change from usual rubbish we churn out under Hucthings .
3 league defeats on the bounce , 2 points clear of the bottom ,18 games without a clen sheet,we face an inform Swindon on saturday followed by trips to Hartlepool and Orient where we rarely do well.

I wouldnt say Swindon are "inform" to be honest.
They have won 1 of last 6 league games! :roll:
Hartlepool - 1 in last 6.
Orient - 1 in last 6.

Jesus, if we dont get at least 4 points from those, we maze well give up!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:35 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:

Orient - 1 in last 6.

They are getting back to the same side we saw last season, they had a bad start but in their last 3 games in all competitions they've beaten Southampton twice and held Carlisle to a 0-0 draw, which is looking like a damn good result!
I dont expect us to beat Swindon but I'd agree we should take 4 points from the Hartlepool and Orient games. Some would argue we should be looking at taking all 6.

Good news that Swindon striker Charlie Austin is out for a few weeks with an injured shoulder though.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:

Orient - 1 in last 6.

Swindon are in fact unbeaten for 3 games and can boost 3 clean sheets

Southampton -away- JPT trophy - 3-0
Carlisle - away - league 1 - 0-0
Southampton - home - league 1 1-0

FACT :wink:

benbo85

Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:57 pm

benbo85 wrote:

complete garbage, about as good a comment as jon brains handling. a culmination of jon "erectile disfunction, complete flopper" brain and albeit hard for me to say, hutchings panicing after they got the 3rd and changing the tactics. all these who criticise hutchings generally is a joke, he did however get it wrong 2nd half, and the decision to bring paterson on although he made a couple of nice touches, was strange?

the reason we lost on sat was purely for 2 reasons, 1 jon (see above) brain and mcdonald;s cockyness/clumsyness. other than the goals they got they were poor and wreaked of a relegation side imho. dawson who albion have signed was a shadow on manny smith, all over the pitch they were second rate, was irate pretty much from when brain dropped corner until i stopped off at boozer somewhere in peak district. we played for large parts of the game very well, davis was a real bonus and up until there third we were spot on tactically. the players are letting the manager down big time. if brain is not dropped for swindon im not sure as to what more if anything he can do badly to warrant being dropped, big decision for hutchings so im told, not for me bevan deserves a chance after sat.

i love the whoosh. im telling you as i see it, the main point for posting was for this posters' and many others criticism of richards, yeh fair play in most circumstances, but jon brains name is not being tarnished enough. i have never ever seen a goalkeeping atrocity as i had on saturday the whole team working their bits off for one another and then that clown drops over the back of his head, i mean the lad wasn't even under pressure? to blame richards is a joke! im never one to defend richards, but on this occasion any blame has to go to brain

benbo85

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The point remains though, that you need to dominate midfield in order to dominate a game, and with Matt Richards in central midfield we dont dominate central midfield, whereas with Dwayne Mattis plus Taundry, Bradley etc, we did.

we did dominate midfield for large parts of game, we were good, we should have won, we did dominate midfield with richards in there. if you want to point a finger at a midfielder do it by all means but get wagging at marshall, the lad never turned up he was poor or gray equally disappointing, not richards

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 pm

benbo85 wrote:
benbo85 wrote:

i love the whoosh. im telling you as i see it, the main point for posting was for this posters' and many others criticism of richards, yeh fair play in most circumstances, but jon brains name is not being tarnished enough. i have never ever seen a goalkeeping atrocity as i had on saturday the whole team working their bits off for one another and then that clown drops over the back of his head, i mean the lad wasn't even under pressure? to blame richards is a joke! im never one to defend richards, but on this occasion any blame has to go to brain

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

benbo85

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:22 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:
benbo85 wrote:
benbo85 wrote:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

love it, whoomp pardon

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 pm

All aboard the trollercoaster!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 am

benbo85 wrote:
benbo85 wrote:

Really ? Ince dropped clangers as bad as that all the time. You are right in what you are saying, no way Brainless should start for Walsall next game, but seriously, there is a catalogue of errors bigger than the new Argos book what Ince dropped in his time with us, although he seemed to be untouchable.

Anyway, they were ripping the mick about Richards, as I am sure you are now aware.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:40 pm

philthesaddler wrote:The point remains though, that you need to dominate midfield in order to dominate a game, and with Matt Richards in central midfield we dont dominate central midfield, whereas with Dwayne Mattis plus Taundry, Bradley etc, we did.

It's because he's expected to mop up everyone else's mistakes whilst create the chance for our fowards, on his own, at the same flipping time!!! In fact I'm pretty sure it was FBIG that at the last home game decided to call Richards 'Vileda' due to him having to clear everyone ele's mess up!

When will people open their eyes and see that?!!!! It's not his fault he's expected to do everything whilst his central midfield partner stands and stares.

Am I not right in thinking that himself and Taundry started to play very well together in the centre of midfield at the end of last season? Am I not right that Taundry came back in the new season looking deperately out of form and leaving Richards to pick up his mess?!

Flippin' heck Phil, you really are a broken record sometimes.

benbo85

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
benbo85 wrote:
benbo85 wrote:

Really ? Ince dropped clangers as bad as that all the time. You are right in what you are saying, no way Brainless should start for Walsall next game, but seriously, there is a catalogue of errors bigger than the new Argos book what Ince dropped in his time with us, although he seemed to be untouchable.

Anyway, they were ripping the mick about Richards, as I am sure you are now aware.

yeah got that :) it was the worst atrocity i've ever seen by a goalkeeper and worse than anything ince ever did because it was within 10 mins of one another. i just hope bevan gets a chance on sat

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Actually Ince pulled off a complete shocker against Rochdale in our League 2 season.
Find it on youtube, I can laugh about it now.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:01 pm

saddlersam wrote:Actually Ince pulled off a complete shocker against Rochdale in our League 2 season.
Find it on youtube, I can laugh about it now.

Not the best of quality but here you go

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1senrE1EGBQ[/youtube]

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Almost forgotten how good that goal was .

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:33 am

Duke wrote:Almost forgotten how good that goal was .

Class! " Give me the ball and get out my way, you lot are effin useless" Bang ,get in

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm

How about Ince against Southend a couple of seasons ago, thrown the ball straight to there striker as if he meant to :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Almost forgotten how good that goal was .

Class! " Give me the ball and get out my way, you lot are effin useless" Bang ,get in

It was class but i always find it funny how suprised/frightened they look when he just runs at them :lol: :lol:

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season