Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 4/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
yoda
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 4/9/10.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 pm

WM say crowd are totally on the players backs (thos that are left).

I cant see anyone taking charge and scoring while the crowd are abusing them. More likely to send them into there shell.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 pm

moanin old git wrote:
moanin old git wrote:It's official...the BBC says so....we've had an attack..offside of course.
Waiting for Colchester to score is like waiting for Hutch to be sacked...you know it's gonna happen..but when!

What did I tell ya! 0-1 probably end up 0-2 still a few minutes left yet.

I presume Dogface hasn't thought of making a change then?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Far too early yet swifty, there are at least five minutes to go... :mrgreen:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Far too early yet swifty, there are at least five minutes to go... :mrgreen:

Yeah mate, I hope he makes the change with 30 seconds to go. Everyone knows there is still chance to change things then

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:55 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Far too early yet swifty, there are at least five minutes to go... :mrgreen:

Yeah mate, I hope he makes the change with 30 seconds to go. Everyone knows there is still chance to change things then

Not now

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Bum cheeks. Another loss at home and so no clean sheet for Mr Brain. :(

Oh, and James Constable got a hat-trick for Oxford today! :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
moanin old git wrote:
moanin old git wrote:It's official...the BBC says so....we've had an attack..offside of course.
Waiting for Colchester to score is like waiting for Hutch to be sacked...you know it's gonna happen..but when!

What did I tell ya! 0-1 probably end up 0-2 still a few minutes left yet.

I presume Dogface hasn't thought of making a change then?

In all fairness, Byfield aside, who would you bring on? Would you really bring a 17/18 year old kid on for a Macken, Reid or Richards?

The lack of depth in our squad has been highlighted perfectly today. We're working with a budget of 10p and it is showing.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:00 pm

18 games without a clean sheet and 4 defeats from 5 home games in one month.

Time for hutchings to go im afraid, i know he aint got much money to work with but we're just rewarding failure now and there's a losing culture at the club.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:00 pm

yoda wrote:WM say crowd are totally on the players backs (thos that are left).

I cant see anyone taking charge and scoring while the crowd are abusing them. More likely to send them into there shell.

There is no point getting on the players backs, but four defeats in five home matches at the start of a season is just not good enough.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:01 pm

moanin old git wrote:Not looking good is it? another defeat (certain) at Rochdale next week and we'll be deep in the myre!

Yep! Perhaps people will be brought back down to earth now, because the people who were even contemplating talking of play offs, will be feeling pretty stupid.

This will be yet ANOTHER season of mid-table mediocrity, or worse

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:04 pm

swiftyboy wrote:This will be yet ANOTHER season of mid-table mediocrity, or worse

And what is wrong with mid-table? Its probably over-achievement I'd imagine with the size of the budget and resources we've got at our disposal.

The bigger concern is the home form, once again, W1 L4... It puts huge pressure on us away from home, and with Rochdale having won 2-0 at Southampton today, its going to be a tough fixture next week. If Hutch goes, it'll be because of the home form, not because of form in general as I'd imagine mid-table will be enough to keep Bonser happy, it'd also keep me happy.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Stu wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:This will be yet ANOTHER season of mid-table mediocrity, or worse

And what is wrong with mid-table? Its probably over-achievement I'd imagine with the size of the budget and resources we've got at our disposal.

The bigger concern is the home form, once again, W1 L4... It puts huge pressure on us away from home, and with Rochdale having won 2-0 at Southampton today, its going to be a tough fixture next week. If Hutch goes, it'll be because of the home form, not because of form in general as I'd imagine mid-table will be enough to keep Bonser happy, it'd also keep me happy.

Stu: I see what you're saying, but lets be honest, Its only over-achievement because the club has been run down to such an extent that a minimum of 1,000-1,500 fans [a conservative estimate] have gone missing in a relatively short period of time. In 5 years we have gone from a club with the fourth smallest crowds in the Championship to a club with one of the smallest in the division below.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 pm

I'd gladly take midtable rught now. Im getting very scared.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 pm

stus right, although i have (some) confidence in hutchings managing to keep us up, the home form is hurting the club financially... Another dire attendance of 3400 today, and to think it was only a couple of years ago that that figure would have been 2000 higher.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:14 pm

ita about time we all started towake up and smell the coffee because were only going 1 way and thats down.

i didnt go today out of my own choice and after watching the drivvle on tuesday against a club a league lower than us who made us look like a non league side.
we have an idiot of a manger who couldnt change a game to save his life and my god every game that starts needs to be changed which makes me wonder why hes in charge to start with.
the players arent good enough collectively for this league and thats because theyre more than likely the lowest paid footballers in all leagues and thats all down to mr bonser not investing any money into the squad. and when you have a cack aquad what happens fans dont go!!!

so this viscious circle is just going to keep happening crowds will get lower and lower and eventually people will have enough of the stranglehold that bonser has and stop going.

we will pick the odd draw and win up which will keep hutch and oconnor in a job but they have their hands tied on finances and theyll just keep saying the same old spin as they want to keep their jobs and get paid like we all do.
i cant see anyway out of this mess until he just does us all a favour and sacks the bungling pair of inept managers and then closes the door on HIS way out

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Its so easy saying it'll get better when Bonser goes, which I think it will... However there is one slight problem, unless we know someone who wants to buy the club, then we might as well stop talking about it.

If Hutch goes, Bonser will appoint another cheap manager to work on another small budget with another poor fanbase (who won't attend because of Bonser)... So unless some new guy is a miracle worker (Graydon) or can turn around our home form instantly to make it really 'Fortress Bescot', then I just don't see the point.

We're skint as it is, if Hutch can get us somewhere between 10th and 14th, then I'd rather keep him than have to pay him off.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Problem is Stu. Hutch always has a year on his contract so unless Bonser serves notice were stuck with a pay out situation for both Hutch and Mart

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:36 pm

hey stu i understand what youre saying but how long can any sane fan go on watching that awful awful football.

i understand we wont win any leagues and go into the dream land of the prem but just something to woo us now and again.
i honestly think the management team have lost the dressing room.
i just want us to have our time in the limelight.
im not saying repeat history with a merse or anyone like that but we keep being promised that the deeney money will be used

NO IT WONT AND IT NEVER EVER WILL.

[post moderated] old bonser time and time again taking the ride out of us just hoping well all turn up and watch that week in week out.
yes we had a few good times along the way and yes we still have a club in the town and yes were not in administration but all other clubs that have been come back bigger and stronger.

maybe football in general is to blame since the prem started maybe we all expect too much but i dont want to go to a match with a defeatest attitude before a ball has been kicked but thats what has started to happen.
i never thought id ever say that ive found other things to do at 3pm on a saturday
but i would be tempted back if there was something to go down there for
i am paying 18 quid so i expect something in return for my money

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:42 pm

Honest question. If the next league game was free; what do you think the attendance would be?

Someone on the "How do we get the fans back?" thread said its not about the money and Im starting to think they are right. Oldham had tickets for a fiver for the JPT game and only got 2 and a half thousand.
I'd be interested to know how many would show for us right now if we made the game a quid or free.

Mirek

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Rich Evans wrote:Problem is Stu. Hutch always has a year on his contract so unless Bonser serves notice were stuck with a pay out situation for both Hutch and Mart

It's not a fiscal problem in fact when he sacks Dog Face and 'temporarily' puts MOC in charge during the 'phoney' interview stage and then appoints MOC as "the best candidate" we will only be paying exactly the same wages out as today as per the budget

Technically the budget will better off as the pay off to CH will be classed as compensation and will not attract employers NIC whereas his salary would have done if we are splitting hairs

Lesson one JWB school of Finance Volume 2 chapter 4. Remember where you read it first

The script was written a long time ago when they were appointed.
Last edited by Mirek on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:51 pm

I wouldnt agree that Hutch didnt try to change the game today, he just did the wrong thing.

The one change he attempted twice was to go from our standard 442 (with wingers) to a weird 4-3-3 where he pushed Gray in to the middle to play alongside Marshall and pushed Richards deeper. This put Reid, Macken and Paterson upfront - BUT it nullified our main threat which is (and always has been under Hutch) the wings!

Gray is probably our best player at the moment, he's the best crosser of the ball and has the quality to create a goal. Without Jones on the pitch, Gray is probably the one player you should always keep on the pitch, and always keep in his proper position... so what does Hutch do? Plays him in central midfield then takes him off with 15 mins to go!

What I think he should have done is take Paterson off - who although he had a good game, is still learning... put Reid on the right wing, keep Gray on the left and bring Byfield on to play alongside Macken.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Just back from the Match - where do I begin........
Well firstly 1 win in 5 games at Home , just not good enough.
Today we played a very ordinary Colchester side and lost.
We had no drive , no players digging in when we went a goal behind who were determined enough.
The Home Team should drive the game foward and we just had no application .
Byfield when he came on looked like he cared but the vast majority just didnt seem at the races.
Julian Gray looked completely uninterested - players like him and Richards should be setting the example to the likes of Patterson. Patterson was one positive, yes he had a few many touches when he went on runs but he is a promising young Player.
Their goal came from a quality ball down the right hand side, where were we???
Overall, very disappointing and with a threadbare squad I cant see it getting any better.
I am starting to get very concerned.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:58 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I wouldnt agree that Hutch didnt try to change the game today, he just did the wrong thing.

Gray is probably our best player at the moment, he's the best crosser of the ball and has the quality to create a goal. Without Jones on the pitch, Gray is probably the one player you should always keep on the pitch, and always keep in his proper position... so what does Hutch do? Plays him in central midfield then takes him off with 15 mins to go!

WHAT? He was rubbish today, total rubbish.

To be fair though, the whole team was crud... even McDonald who is usually pretty consistent and solid.

The whole route one and always constantly going down the left wing was totally crud and just didn't work at all. Within 2 minutes of the second half, Colchester knew that all we was going to do was run it down the left... so they had 5 players just there and we never got past them.

It was such a shocking performance I just don't know where we are going to go from here unless there is a change somewhere.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Just got back. We are going absolutely nowhere with that clown in charge, wouldn't at all surprise me if we were back in league 2 next season.
And the game itself, i would probably say it is the worse display of football from both sides that i have ever seen.
For a start daft Hutchings drops his best centre half for an absolute clown in MacDonald. Smith was just as bad. Lescott and Westlake were the only 2 players that i thought were ok. Gray was the worst out of the lot. We might as well have not had 2 in the middle of the park seeing as Richards and Marshall were never to be seen.
Paterson showed promise at times but wasnt quite ready. Macken & Reid had no service what so ever and when they did get the ball they did nothing with it. Byfield changed things when he came on and probably should have scored.
It's time now to sack Hutchings, not Xmas not towards the end of the season. NOW! Get him out and get a decent manager in for a change because what i watched today was just awful!

HUTCHINGS OUT!!!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Absolutely shocking performance. No fight what so ever and most the players looked disinterested. There was only Patterson, Westlake & Richards who turned up!

For starters, what formation were we playing? We had no shape what so ever. Gray spent most the game in the centre of the park leaving the left wing and Lescott completely exposed aswell as sending us through the middle instead of down the middle.

Reid was awful today. Every time he got the ball instead of running at the defender he'd turn back allowing the defender to easily prevent him playing.

Also, why did we persist with hoof ball when Colchester had two massive CB's who were winning everything? We need to teach Smith & McDonald to play the ball on the floor instead of hoofing it every time.

I thought Matt Richards was superb. Calm, put his foot on the ball and played it around with comfort.
Westlake was fantastic at the back, solid all game.
Patterson was lively and did very well for his first full match.
MOTM could easily have gone to any of them three.

However, the majority were awful. Byfield looked lively when he came on, but he missed what was practially an open goal!

In my opinion today's defeat was down to the tactics. We had no shape and no game plan. It was almost as if it was play where ever the hell you want!

A relegation battle looms if we carry on like this. 2 wins in 7 this season. 1 in 5 at home. Not good enough at all!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Don't know where to start , believe it not there were a few positives Westlake was ecellent and easily man of the match , Paterson looks very promising but at times tried to do to much, and we did look more lively upfront when Byfield came on which left me wondering why he didn't start.

Otherwise utter total complete rubbish , we lack everything a football team needs , leadership , organisation , discipline , passion and drive .

If Hutchings remains in charge I fear a relegation battle .

Hucthings out

Last edited by Duke on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Had loads of fun today with the kids on their bikes and me and the wide having a nice walk. All told our day cost less than 8 quid. If me and the kids had gone to the match I'd easily have shelled out 40 quid and we'd have come home totally dejected and bored.

I'm not making any anti-Bonser stayaway calls but I can now see why so many spend their money elsewhere. Until the club can really get a grip on why so many fans have come to the same conclusion (and it IS their job to find out why and put right) then things are only going to get worse. We've had grand gestures from the club about new faces in the boardroom but now is the time to prove things are really changing because at the moment I can' see any difference.

I don't want to be happy missing games and enjoying doing other things instead (I want to be chomping at the bit to watch games) but there is something really wrong at the club and nobody seems bothered doing anything about it.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:27 pm

blimey tinned ill send you that toaster back!!!!

see we all have an opinion on here and thats what i was saying the other night before i was berated.
ive done over 700 matches with walsall and ive got married there had my reception there bought the pies drinks programmes
gone to the doos had works parties ive spent a god dam fortune down there so i though my two penneth worth was legitimate.

anyway i think majority of people on here have had enough of this managerial duo now and they need to go and if it means spending some deeney money on pay off and getting a better tactician in then lets do it.
i dont mind league 1 footy and some big clubs in there i just want to feel we have a chance of progressing sometime
at moment were only going to go the other way

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:33 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:blimey tinned ill send you that toaster back!!!!

see we all have an opinion on here and thats what i was saying the other night before i was berated.
ive done over 700 matches with walsall and ive got married there had my reception there bought the pies drinks programmes
gone to the doos had works parties ive spent a god dam fortune down there so i though my two penneth worth was legitimate.

anyway i think majority of people on here have had enough of this managerial duo now and they need to go and if it means spending some deeney money on pay off and getting a better tactician in then lets do it.
i dont mind league 1 footy and some big clubs in there i just want to feel we have a chance of progressing sometime
at moment were only going to go the other way

So you're quite happy to pay them off, spend Deeney money on replacing them, in a bid to finish a few places higher? Regardless of who comes in, they will not turn this team into Play Off contenders, it isn't simply good enough and never was. Therefore, are we talking about sacking Hutch so we finish 10th instead of 14th or 15th? He won't take us down (I don't think, lol) but I don't think he'll do as well as last season. If that extra cost is worth 3/4 league places to you, fair enough, go ahead.

Insane Saddler!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Awful performance today.

We didn't look right from the start... the way we set up, the managements inability to change a game, players who look like they just didn't want to be playing, no passion, not one player looking capable of opening up the game, it's so obvious that Hutchings and O'Connor are out of their depth.

I thought McDonald and Westlake were the only plus points, with the odd glimpse from Patterson. Richards is not the answer to our midfield woes. And as for Marshall, who would honestly swop Bradley for him?

UTS

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season