Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 4/9/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 4/9/10.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks for that post, Chester. just in time for the front page!

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ake-stock/

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 am

Shame you used that Exile, because to say Richards was our best player is quite ridiculous and makes me wonder who Chestersaddler was watching.

Richards didnt have a particularly bad game, but he was by no means the best player on the pitch, as some would have you believe.

Chestersaddlers quote about being the only midfielder "competent in his defensive duties" just shows how little he watched the match. Marshall made probably four times as many tackles and interceptions than Richards did - even though it was Richards who was sitting in the deep midfield role for large parts of the game. If only we could have opta stats for these games, a lot of these arguments would be solved instantly. If there is one thing Richards is really poor at it's his defensive duties - he's not strong enough to win balls in the air, he never tackles, he's too slow to keep up with anyone and despite being the deep lying midfielder he all too often got caught the wrong side of the ball and showed no willingness to get back behind the ball to be "competent in his defensive duties".

Oh, and if Richards is so bloody good, why has his run in the centre of midfield almost perfectly coincided with our inability to keep clean sheets?

Nobody really stood out for Walsall, Reid and Macken didnt get much service (obviously, despite Richards being totally amazing in midfield), Gray (the winger) got pushed in to the middle when Hutchings was meddling and going 4-1-2-3. Some of the people on here are also criticising Gray! If you actually watch him, he very rarely wastes a ball - he's not the quickest, he doesnt often "knock it and run", but in terms of his use of the ball, he's the best in our team - and yet some people say he's the worst on the pitch, and say Matt Richards is the best player in the team!?!

Westlake had a far better game than Tuesday, but still got found out towards the end.

And then we come to those criticising Smith and McDonald for their distribution!? Unbelievable - they're LEAGUE 1 centre halves - what do you expect? The same people are also too think to understand the root cause of the problem - they're moaning about Smith's distribution, but dont think to themselves why the hell the likes of Smith are the ones doing the distribution?! Could it possibly, just possibly be something to do with how piss poor the centre of our midfield are?! Could it be that the likes of Matt Richards are so slow, and so incapable of playing in a midfield role that when they get the ball, they cant find another Walsall shirt, so they just end up giving it back to Smith or McDonald who invariably end up booting it?! Of Course Manny Smith cant play a 60 yard pass on a pinpoint, but then again, he's an Ian Roper, he's a stopper, nothing more, so why the hell are people criticising him for not being able to play a 60 yard ball... yet in the same breathe praising Matt Richards after another mediocre (to say the least) performance?!

If you're going to criticise the defence, then look at the things they should be doing better like the marking, the ball watching and the way the full backs keep getting beaten for pace AND strength (it's usually one or the other...not both).

Exile, if you're going to use peoples posts for match reports, at least make sure those people actually know what they're talking about.

I wouldn't be so critical of Richards if so many people weren't so bloody blind to how poor he is.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:33 am

Phil,

Why is it that when people have a different view to you, "they do not know what they are talking about"?

I wrote my views based on objectivity, not bias.

I was watching the game with a friend who is an Everton fan. When the MOM was announced, he said to me that he was surprised that "the bald bloke" hadn't been give it. Another one who must have been watching a different game to you, Phil.

Richards played short and long passes, some of which came off, some didn't, but he wasn't just hoofing it aimlessly. I noticed on a couple of occassions in the second half he put his foot on the ball, looking around and slowing things down a little. The response was restlesness from parts of the crowd who obviously wanted to get it forward as quickly as possible. He just can't win can he Phil?

I thought that Marshall was missing for most of the game, whereas Richards was involved all of the time. For me, one of the problems on Saturday was the lack of support for the defence from midfield and the only one contributing was Richards.

From reading your posts, Phil, you are one eyed towards certain things, and Richards is one of them.

As for Gray, he was not interested for much of the time and maybe if you were to take the blinkers off you would have seen the slumped shoulders and chin in chest as he sauntered back to his own half once a Walsall attack had broken down.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:30 am

chestersaddler wrote:Phil,

Why is it that when people have a different view to you, "they do not know what they are talking about"?

I was watching the game with a friend who is an Everton fan. When the MOM was announced, he said to me that he was surprised that "the bald bloke" hadn't been give it. Another one who must have been watching a different game to you, Phil.

Richards played short and long passes, some of which came off, some didn't, but he wasn't just hoofing it aimlessly. I noticed on a couple of occassions in the second half he put his foot on the ball, looking around and slowing things down a little. The response was restlesness from parts of the crowd who obviously wanted to get it forward as quickly as possible. He just can't win can he Phil?

I thought that Marshall was missing for most of the game, whereas Richards was involved all of the time. For me, one of the problems on Saturday was the lack of support for the defence from midfield and the only one contributing was Richards.

From reading your posts, Phil, you are one eyed towards certain things, and Richards is one of them.

As for Gray, he was not interested for much of the time and maybe if you were to take the blinkers off you would have seen the slumped shoulders and chin in chest as he sauntered back to his own half once a Walsall attack had broken down.

I agree with all of that, Richards was by far our best midfielder out there on Saturday, the rest of them were non-existant.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:03 am

philthesaddler wrote:Shame you used that Exile, because to say Richards was our best player is quite ridiculous and makes me wonder who Chestersaddler was watching.

Obviously Walsall Shame that in your three previous posts you didn't find anything to say about the game or I might have used one of yours, even including your apparent blind spot.

Then again, maybe not. Sorry that you didn't think the front page didn't meet your exacting standards, but I'm quietly pleased with the other messages I've received that are more complimentary than yours.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:17 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Phil,

I agree with all of that, Richards was by far our best midfielder out there on Saturday, the rest of them were non-existant.

Me too. Between them, Matt Richards and Jeff Bonser are responsible for the world's woes - in phil's world,anyway.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 am

philthesaddler wrote:Shame you used that Exile, because to say Richards was our best player is quite ridiculous and makes me wonder who Chestersaddler was watching.

Richards didnt have a particularly bad game, but he was by no means the best player on the pitch, as some would have you believe.

Chestersaddlers quote about being the only midfielder "competent in his defensive duties" just shows how little he watched the match. Marshall made probably four times as many tackles and interceptions than Richards did - even though it was Richards who was sitting in the deep midfield role for large parts of the game. If only we could have opta stats for these games, a lot of these arguments would be solved instantly. If there is one thing Richards is really poor at it's his defensive duties - he's not strong enough to win balls in the air, he never tackles, he's too slow to keep up with anyone and despite being the deep lying midfielder he all too often got caught the wrong side of the ball and showed no willingness to get back behind the ball to be "competent in his defensive duties".

Oh, and if Richards is so bloody good, why has his run in the centre of midfield almost perfectly coincided with our inability to keep clean sheets?

Nobody really stood out for Walsall, Reid and Macken didnt get much service (obviously, despite Richards being totally amazing in midfield), Gray (the winger) got pushed in to the middle when Hutchings was meddling and going 4-1-2-3. Some of the people on here are also criticising Gray! If you actually watch him, he very rarely wastes a ball - he's not the quickest, he doesnt often "knock it and run", but in terms of his use of the ball, he's the best in our team - and yet some people say he's the worst on the pitch, and say Matt Richards is the best player in the team!?!

Westlake had a far better game than Tuesday, but still got found out towards the end.

And then we come to those criticising Smith and McDonald for their distribution!? Unbelievable - they're LEAGUE 1 centre halves - what do you expect? The same people are also too think to understand the root cause of the problem - they're moaning about Smith's distribution, but dont think to themselves why the hell the likes of Smith are the ones doing the distribution?! Could it possibly, just possibly be something to do with how pee poor the centre of our midfield are?! Could it be that the likes of Matt Richards are so slow, and so incapable of playing in a midfield role that when they get the ball, they cant find another Walsall shirt, so they just end up giving it back to Smith or McDonald who invariably end up booting it?! Of Course Manny Smith cant play a 60 yard pass on a pinpoint, but then again, he's an Ian Roper, he's a stopper, nothing more, so why the hell are people criticising him for not being able to play a 60 yard ball... yet in the same breathe praising Matt Richards after another mediocre (to say the least) performance?!

If you're going to criticise the defence, then look at the things they should be doing better like the marking, the ball watching and the way the full backs keep getting beaten for pace AND strength (it's usually one or the other...not both).

Exile, if you're going to use peoples posts for match reports, at least make sure those people actually know what they're talking about.

I wouldn't be so critical of Richards if so many people weren't so bloody blind to how poor he is.

If there was ever a post that qualified as 'superb drivel' it would be this one. Never have I read a match report so one eyed that it made me laugh out loud.

The question s, if nobodys match report coincides with Phils, does it mean everyone else is watching a different game and don't know what they're on about...or is just Phil? :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:27 am

Exile wrote:

Obviously Walsall Shame that in your three previous posts you didn't find anything to say about the game or I might have used one of yours, even including your apparent blind spot.

Then again, maybe not. Sorry that you didn't think the front page didn't meet your exacting standards, but I'm quietly pleased with the other messages I've received that are more complimentary than yours.

Probably because there's nothing much to say about a match in which no body played well and for the 18th consecutive match we didnt keep a clean sheet. Oh and the 4th defeat in 5 home games in 30 days. Does any more need to be said? No. Do we need a critique of players? No, because not one player played well, so for people to come out and criticise a young defender for being unable to accurately pass over 60 yards (should a defender be making 60 yard passes?), yet in the same breathe say Richards was the best player on the park is quite frankly ridiculous.

Obviously Richards was so superb that a 19 year old right back caught the eye more than Matt 'Xabi Alonso' Richards in the middle.

Also quite funny that if you watch the highlights on the BBC you'll see Paul Marshall (who was piss poor and anonymous according to some) involved quite a lot, including a very good pass for Gray (who was the worst player on the pitch accoriding to some) who laid it in to Mackens path and created a chance. Do you see Matt Richards? Oh yes you do, firstly trying to score with a pea roller from 35 yards and lagging about 3 yards behind a player trying to get on the end of a cross. But hey, he was the best player on the park and involved in all our attacking play - except for the attacking play the BBC chose to put in the highlights that is.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am

philthesaddler wrote:Also quite funny that if you watch the highlights

Please, dont judge a player on a few highlights.
Throughout the majority of the game he was the only midfielder picking up the ball, trying to get it forward, but often had to pass it back to the defence, because there was no space.. who then had to hoof it forward as no other midfielder wanted to play.

Edit: That was, until Byfield came on who was doing the job of midfield and foward by picking the ball up from midfield because the others couldnt be arsed.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:25 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Probably because there's nothing much to say about a match in which no body played well and for the 18th consecutive match we didnt keep a clean sheet. Oh and the 4th defeat in 5 home games in 30 days. Does any more need to be said? No. Do we need a critique of players? No, because not one player played well, so for people to come out and criticise a young defender for being unable to accurately pass over 60 yards (should a defender be making 60 yard passes?), yet in the same breathe say Richards was the best player on the park is quite frankly ridiculous.

Obviously Richards was so superb that a 19 year old right back caught the eye more than Matt 'Xabi Alonso' Richards in the middle.

Also quite funny that if you watch the highlights on the BBC you'll see Paul Marshall (who was pee poor and anonymous according to some) involved quite a lot, including a very good pass for Gray (who was the worst player on the pitch accoriding to some) who laid it in to Mackens path and created a chance. Do you see Matt Richards? Oh yes you do, firstly trying to score with a pea roller from 35 yards and lagging about 3 yards behind a player trying to get on the end of a cross. But hey, he was the best player on the park and involved in all our attacking play - except for the attacking play the BBC chose to put in the highlights that is.

Phil,

Nowhere in my comments have I criticized the central defenders for hitting 60 yard balls.

The whole point of your objection to Exile posting my report on the front page is that I thought that Richards was our best player.

I gave an opinion, based on what I saw, and unlike you, I have no axe to grind.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm glad Matt Richards has been arrested for that pipebomb in NI. He is also what the Chinese built the great wall for.

I criticise all of the defenders for making 60 yard balls. Them or Hutchings.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:09 pm

In support of Matt richards, even when he is playing poorly (most of the time imo) he is always available for the ball and puts himself up there to be shot down. He also has a good footballing brain and can pick a pass. Seem's to play better away from home, prehaps it's the larger pitchs giving him more space or the fact that he doesn't feel the love of the bescot crowd. (P.S played very well against Plymouth)

On the down side he is possibly the slowest player since brett angel, he isn't strong in the tackle, no good in the air, dosen't off anything going forward (other then freekicks) and offers the defence little protection defensivly.

IMO he has played his best football for us at left back, he is a favourite of hutch and will be in the starting 11 NO MATTER WHAT he does on a saturday

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:09 pm

In support of Matt richards, even when he is playing poorly (most of the time imo) he is always available for the ball and puts himself up there to be shot down. He also has a good footballing brain and can pick a pass. Seem's to play better away from home, prehaps it's the larger pitchs giving him more space or the fact that he doesn't feel the love of the bescot crowd. (P.S played very well against Plymouth)

On the down side he is possibly the slowest player since brett angel, he isn't strong in the tackle, no good in the air, dosen't off anything going forward (other then freekicks) and offers the defence little protection defensivly.

IMO he has played his best football for us at left back, he is a favourite of hutch and will be in the starting 11 NO MATTER WHAT he does on a saturday

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:30 pm

saddlerJP wrote:On the down side he is possibly the slowest player since brett angel, he isn't strong in the tackle, no good in the air, dosen't off anything going forward (other then freekicks) and offers the defence little protection defensivly.

Given that you were trying to be nice about him, thats a pretty damning indictment. Slow, weak, crap going forward, crap at defending. :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:55 pm

It's fair to say that the majority of people on this board think Matt Richards is a decent player.
For months and months your biased comments on him have been relentless so much that if he really did have a poor game and you had your usual rant about him nobdy would take any notice.
What is your problem with him, is it personal or something?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Graydon48 wrote:It's fair to say that the majority of people on this board think Matt Richards is a decent player.
For months and months your biased comments on him have been relentless so much that if he really did have a poor game and you had your usual rant about him nobdy would take any notice.

I reckon his head reflects light into his eyes and this really does his head in. That or he was responsible for Aliens vs Predator. The cack.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:It's fair to say that the majority of people on this board think Matt Richards is a decent player.

I reckon his head reflects light into his eyes and this really does his head in. That or he was responsible for Aliens vs Predator. The cack.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:10 am

The majority think he's a decent player? :lol: :lol: :lol: Funniest thing I've heard all year, thanks

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:24 am

philthesaddler wrote:

The majority think he's a decent player? :lol: :lol: :lol: Funniest thing I've heard all year, thanks

I dont think they do to be honest.. I do, but I think the majority of this board dont rate him.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:48 am

philthesaddler wrote:

Do a poll if you're so confident.
Last edited by Graydon48 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Matt Richards is not decent, he is a good player.

He cant run or tackle, if he could he would be playing for some one better wouldnt he? Im happy with his cracking left foot thanks.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:48 pm

The Richards debate rumbles on as Phil continues to have a pop at him for literally everything.
He has the bottle to have a shot from outside of the penalty area and gets slated for it being a 'pea roller'.
The defence constantly boot balls over his head and he's criticised for not being good in the air.

Look at how many times he makes himself available to receive the ball. Or how often his pass reaches it's intended recipient. Ultimately, that's what he's in the midfield to do, and he does it better than anyone else in our squad. No, he's no Steven Gerrard, but like it or not, he's been our best player so far this season.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season