Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (H) JP Trophy Tuesday 31/8/10

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Graydon48
Glitterati

Re: Chesterfield (H) JP Trophy Tuesday 31/8/10

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Pangloss Saddler wrote:The Saddlers were unfortunate to lose yet another game by the odd goal.
A couple of slight adjustments to the team and tactics should bring victory against Colchester.

Couldn't agree more. We totally dominated for the entire game. Their keeper man of the match for the non stop saves he made.
Anyone disagree with that ? :)

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Reports coming in to me from several people tell me that Jonny Brain is one of the worst goalkeepers we have ever had... Another superb signing from Macclesfield. Get Bevan in!

Andy Petterson thanks you.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:15 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:1793 attending.

Including 212 Spireites.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 pm

i missed the plymouth match as i couldnt be bothered to go but been to the other 3 home matches including tonight

we are not only on paper but on the performances i have seen no better than a lower league 2 side.

and if we stick with the same management team as we have now we will no doubt end up relegated.

we are already out of 2 cup competitions at home against winnable opposition by end of AUGUST

we will simply not be consistant enough with our poor squad and poor tactics.

those 2 league wins which i didnt see are a stay of execution for the management team.
we will end up bottom four and relegated by easter.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 pm

I'll keep this report short and sweet...

That was rubbish... and that's all I need to say.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm

What a piss poor performance. Defensively shocking, poor upfront and in midfield.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Chesterfield (H) JP Trophy Tuesday 31/8/10

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm

The only positive I can take out of it was that Patterson looked a decent player when he came on. First time I've seen him, and I thought he did well.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 pm

longdogs wrote:The only positive I can take out of it was that Patterson looked a decent player when he came on. First time I've seen him, and I thought he did well.

We`ll soon ruin him with them fools in charge. :x

JackoSaddler

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:45 pm

what an absulute dredful performance!

Gray was shocking, so was richards, and taundry did nothing!

I do not know why people are moaning at Patterson when he actually tried to do something with the ball, wheras gray did nothing at all! Oh, and does Richards ever pass forwards?

Brain is crap

Marshall was also inexistant and I can't remember him getting the ball and doing anything useful with it!

Shocking

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:46 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:1793 attending.

the rest were at asda

pastsodull

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 pm

JackoSaddler wrote:
I do not know why people are moaning at Patterson when he actually tried to do something with the ball, wheras gray did nothing at all!

It's called 'support' the, erm, Walsall way! To be fair, he's a perfect candidate for booing, having previously not been given a chance and looking positive when coming on tonight. It simply won't do, who does he think he is? Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo :wink:

windowman
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

why, whos knocked the kid, read all this thread and i havent seen it

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 pm

pastsodull wrote:
JackoSaddler wrote:
I do not know why people are moaning at Patterson when he actually tried to do something with the ball, wheras gray did nothing at all!

It's called 'support' the, erm, Walsall way! To be fair, he's a perfect candidate for booing, having previously not been given a chance and looking positive when coming on tonight. It simply won't do, who does he think he is? Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo :wink:

:mrgreen: People probably mistook him for a certain ex-keeper when they heard his name announced.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 pm

JackoSaddler wrote:I do not know why people are moaning at Patterson when he actually tried to do something with the ball

Who's moaning at Patterson?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:What a pee poor performance. Defensively shocking, poor upfront and in midfield.

And there was some idiot there in the LFTG with a vuvuzela. Capped the night that did, brian dead imbecile.

DFOSOC

JackoSaddler

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 pm

windowman wrote:why, whos knocked the kid, read all this thread and i havent seen it

Yeah, I was at the game. When he lost the ball once or twice, the 'fans' around me moaned and gave him some stick. He's only young, and he did a hell of a lot more that whatever Gray did!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:16 pm

1st half. Not too bad at all, despite the 2 goals, we played some nice football especially in the first half an hour. Terrible defending for the 1st goal, why the hell didnt Smith put his foot through it, did he think it was going wide? NO manny, it hit the post as you let it and went in the net. 2nd goal, was absolutely terrible defending again, by both Westlake and Lancashire, Brain beaten at his near post? (okay it was a powerful strike, but?). Neat goal from Reid, laced a volley right in the far top corner.

2nd half. TERRIBLE. Sidewards and backwards, not a clue. Richards went into crab mode and im not sure Marshall knows anything other than crab mode. Richards shot took a deflection and otherwise we create a single chat throughout the whole half, i cant even remember a noteworthy chance, half chance anything. They missed an open goal after Brain made in his defence an absolutely superb diving save. I bet Dwayne Mattis had the easiest night of his life and he played at CENTRE BACK! (presume they had injuries), i can barely remember him touching the ball which only sums up our attacking threat.

Main notes.

- Gray is the biggest dissapointment of the season so far, where's his pace, brain and confidence gone? did he get to the byline once? doubt it.

- Marshall is dire.

- Macken's only excuse is that he's had no minutes otherwise, he struggled massively to impose himself on the game.

- Brain is shaky and his shot stopping (apparently his best attribute) doesn't look too great at all.

- We need a new defence. I dont mind Lescott, but he's not as good as vincent. Neither of our new fullbacks are as good in, direct swap terms of last seasons (Weston and Vincent). Lacanshire and smith are shaky, the latter putting in a particularly lethargic performance tonight.

- Our defence in general is atrcious.

On a slightly more positive note.

- Reid was excellent.
- Patterson looks like a future prospect.
- In the first half we got the ball down and played some nice passing.

If we dont improve defensively ahead of saturday, we're in for a spanking.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:24 pm

Can anyone tell me what formation we were playing in the second half? In theory it might have been 4-4-2, but Reid definitely seemed to be playing left wing, but then so was Gray. Macken was generally on his own in the penalty area. 4-5-1 with two left wingers? I have no idea.

Titch

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:26 pm

That was just so poor.
Is it me or did Smith stand and watch the first goal go in?
I've noticed a lot of negative comments for Brain, but I didn't see any mistakes or feel he had any chance with the goals, especially with that defence in front of him.
Also saw this on the official site:
There was a real let-off for The Saddlers as Jonny Brain spilled a stinging effort from Danny Whitaker and Dean Morgan blazed over from close range with the 'keeper floundering.
They make it out that it was his fault, and not a great save from a decent shot that I thought it was.
First match this season, and I'm planning on going to a lot more.
Play like that every week though, and I can only see the attendance dropping even lower than what it was tonight, which was infact the lowest ever at the Banks's.

larryhaggler

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

That was bad, really bad. Pathetic, shambolic, lack of effort, passion and clueless management.

Oh how i wish we had a certain ex dingle Davies leading our line tonight instead of Chesterfield. He was tremendous and pulled our 'defence' apart.
In every department we were poor, and where was Will Grigg ? Didnt even see him on the bench.

Goalkeeper - Beaten at near post and I feel should have done better with their first - Seen him twice and i think he's very suspect.
Back Four shambolic
Midfield not exisitant (special priase for the 2 worst mind numbingly toss centre Midfield performances i have seen for a long time from Marshall and Yoda)
front two - Reid faded after promising start and Maken an odd nice touch occcasionaly but not enough and litle workrate.

Thanks again Jeff, it will be a little while again before I add to you pension fund.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:30 pm

Titch wrote:Is it me or did Smith stand and watch the first goal go in?

That's how it looked to me.

I've noticed a lot of negative comments for Brain, but I didn't see any mistakes or feel he had any chance with the goals, especially with that defence in front of him.

agreed

They make it out that it was his fault, and not a great save from a decent shot that I thought it was.

Also agreed. It was a good save.

Play like that every week though, and I can only see the attendance dropping even lower than what it was tonight, which was infact the lowest ever at the Banks's.

I think we'll be lucky to get much over three thousand on Saturday.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:31 pm

larryhaggler wrote:where was Will Grigg ? Didnt even see him on the bench.

Presumably he and McGivern were on international duty.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Why do we bother to enter cup competitions.?Chesterfield wanted it --we didn't.
On tonights performance my awards would be as follows;
BRAIN --Average league 2 keeper and it shows --4/10
WESTLAKE --One of our own but seroiusly lacking quality.ripped apart tonight.Passing and crossing poor---2/10
LESCOTT --No leadership qualities.poor decision making.---4/10
SMITH ---Not one of his better games.Looked disinterested for some reason --4/10
LANCASHIRE --Awful display.Weak aginst Davies their forward.Has had some decent performances but not tonight --2/10
TAUNDRY ---What is wrong with him so far this season?Looks lost in midfield.No crunching tackles and poor passing.--3/10
MARSHALL --Why did City let this guy go?Oh --it's because he;s crap!Avoided the ball nicely tonight.--2/10
GRAY --JPT is below this guy.Why bother infront of a misely 1700.Couldn't give a toss! --2/10
RICHARDS --Ok on the ball but not willing to put a foot in when push came to shuv tonight.Get injured in the jpt --not me! --5/10
MACKEN --Looked good at the start but obvious lack of match fitness showed.Tried hard and could be a useful asset but not tonight --5/10
REID --Frustrating player.Can beat 2/3 defenders then falls over the ball.After that becomes bored with it all.Wishes he was at the Bernabou scoring against Barca.Sorry Reuben --you need to try harder.--4/10
SUBS --Patterson --Don't want to be too negative on the lad but our kids these days look like rabbits in headlights --3/10
McDonald --Probably due a start afer the performance of Lancashire tonight.Not on long enough to award points.

Finally our fantastic management team.They may work hard but they lack quality.We are going nowhere with these guys !

F

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:40 pm

larryhaggler wrote:Midfield not exisitant (special priase for the 2 worst mind numbingly toss centre Midfield performances i have seen for a long time from Marshall and Yoda)
nd.

eh?

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:42 pm

And when the draw comes out for the first round of the FA.CUP we should all send towels to Hutchings.He can then throw them onto the pitch as the teams run out and we can all go home/pub there and then saving 90 mins of torture.

larryhaggler

Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Sorry Yoda - I meant that for Richards the baldy useless twanger, I'm not an ever present these days thanks to uncle jeffrey but I have never once seen him have a decent game

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Titch wrote:I've noticed a lot of negative comments for Brain, but I didn't see any mistakes or feel he had any chance with the goals, especially with that defence in front of him.
Also saw this on the official site:
There was a real let-off for The Saddlers as Jonny Brain spilled a stinging effort from Danny Whitaker and Dean Morgan blazed over from close range with the 'keeper floundering.

Brain can take a lot of blame for our loss tonight.

You watch that first Chesterfield goal again, their player got his header off from what? 6 yards out? Why the hell was he able to do that when you have a 6'4 bloke in goal that can use his hands? Crap keeping.

As a goalkeeper you should not be getting beat at your near post, its basic school boy stuff. Yet Brain was beat AGAIN at his near post for the second goal.

This keeper conceded just over 80 goals for Maccelsfield last season, what did the management team see in him to sign him? Oh yeah, thats right, hes cheap.....

Get Bevan in, Brain is not good enough!

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:19 pm

If the player got his header off from 6 yards, then surely you also have to ask what the centre halves were doing?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 am

We played cack, but i thought none of you cared about this competition?

Talk about mood swings.

We will win on Saturday.

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 am

As reported on the BBC's Walsall page:

"FOOTBALL
Walsall 2-1 Chesterfield

Walsall crash out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in front of their lowest ever crowd at the Bescot Stadium at the expense of Chesterfield."

Confused?

I was, as I checked the score when I got up this morning.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season