Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (H) League 1 Saturday 21/8/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
brummie saddler
Site Addict

Re: Plymouth Argyle (H) League 1 Saturday 21/8/10.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Only just realised that the official site is doing live updates at key moments!

C'mon Saddlers!

even i could of told you that

pretty impressed when i seen it

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:53 pm

swiftyboy wrote:GOOOOOOOO on UNITY!!! Give it some! 8)

definatley

could be any clearer of our intentions were beating a very good side n still we wont forget whats happening

love it

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Goal kick to us - about 1minute left

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Are you there Swifty?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Plymouth down to 10 - Professional foul on Nicholls. Just outside the box

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Corner to us

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:57 pm

All over 2-1 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Yes!!!! What a superb result, really didn't expect this. I look forward to reports about our performance, but this shows that we can compete with any side in the division.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:58 pm

brummie saddler wrote:

definatley

could be any clearer of our intentions were beating a very good side n still we wont forget whats happening

love it

I only know about it because my son just called me from the game to let me listen. There were Unity voices chanting Bonser out, and we want our freehold back.

Exactly right. We can win, enjoy it, and support the team in full, but never lose sight of the reasons behind Unity.

Ill be there for the next home game giving my full support, and i urge anyone else to join and increase the vocal presence!

Glitterati

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Superb result, the world is a much more positive place when Walsall win.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:02 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:

definatley

love it

I only know about it because my son just called me from the game to let me listen. There were Unity voices chanting Bonser out, and we want our freehold back.

Exactly right. We can win, enjoy it, and support the team in full, but never lose sight of the reasons behind Unity.

Ill be there for the next home game giving my full support, and i urge anyone else to join and increase the vocal presence!

nice one looks like well be extra noisy next home game then as im welll up for it

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:02 pm

A great result at home especially coming from behind. Bril. :D :D

Doffer
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:04 pm

:D Offer here,

Great result lads.

CH out, your having a laugh.

Love it, Love it, Love it.

1 POINT FROM THE TOP.

:D Offer

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Matt Richards was the best player on the pitch today by a country mile.
Can't wait for a certain person to argue against that :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Matt Richards was the best player on the pitch today by a country mile.
Can't wait for a certain person to argue against that :D

He won't - I saw him at half time and he agreed. As for the protest - we heard absolutely sod all in the middle tier.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 pm

That was fantastic. It's what i want from a Saturday afternoon. Excitement, passion and good attacking football. What a brilliant afternoon. Any more games like this with the same effort and commitment i will be looking to get another season ticket. I've not been so enthralled since the Graydon years. Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant.

Reid was awesome and what we've been missing since Rambo, Leitao. As for Richards, i will eat my words as he had a blinder today. Six times i screamed "well done Richards" and that is highly unusual for me.

Really enjoyed it, got the buzz back. Fantastic.

Roll on the next one.

Well done one and all.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:04 pm

Great performance, I feel we out classed Plymouth until they scored and then up until half time it was hold it, hoof it and hope they don't get back to attack us.

First 30 minutes we should of been 3-1 up Jones hitting the post, Taundry having a good shot blocked and Richards and Jones both hitting just over respectively.

Reid and Gray whilst both don't look the sort of player to put in many tackles once they get passed to they can really run and beat players and this is something we really have missed from our teams, was devastated when Jones was helped off after nearly being stretchered off and I thought it was sick to hear some Plymouth fans cheer when the stretcher came out they had some very bad tackles gotten away with and so much pushing and shoving throughout the game the ref should of intervened at some point.

Paul Marshalls goal may I say was fantastic completley unmarked in open space in the box, Gray crossed it in he looked like he fluffed it and Marshall headed perfectly into the top corner.
Reids goal was the most ridiculous goal I've ever seen he has no power in his shots and went right near the keepers hand and it looked like he saved it and it just kind of bounced and rolled in very happy for the lad to score as he looked quality when given the ball and time to run ( a bit of training and shooting practice to get his power back and this kid will do very well for us)

Both their goal and the offside goal where a result of poor sloppy marking and although Richards had a good game I must say he was not helping in their goal as he runs to the left wing and stands behind mcgovern when surely a CM should defend in the center if he is going back?

Jon Brain this week made no gaffes to my knowledge other then when he didn't collect the ball and looked at lescott without saying anything and Lescott wasn't heading toward the ball until Brain backed off, really Brain should of collected that safely.

My only weak link was Lescott he got caught out a few times and doesn't look fast enough to be far forward and then defend back I personally think Westlake is better and that Lescott didn't do much as a captain in terms of instructions to my knowledge.

Overall a strong performance by a team that looks like with confidence they could give anyone a game as today until they scored we played with confidence and regained it in the second half even when they really cranked the pressure we didn't go into full on panic mode and Alex was very unlucky to have that challenge at the end as he was pretty much 1 on 1 with the keeper, and Richards follow up free kick was top class going for the top corner the keeper did well to keep it out.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Our best performance of the season. Both teams had chances but I think we deserved the win.

Reid was on fire. Fantastic debut, although I'm pretty sure his goal wwas infact an own goal.

Special mention to Matt Richards. He was fantastic today. As were a few others like Smith & Gray.

Delighted we've got our first home win. Shame Macken didn't play but i'm guessing he wasn't properly fit. However, Reid looks an exciting player.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Shame Macken didn't play but i'm guessing he wasn't properly fit.

As I guessed in the car on the way down WM said he has had no pre season so will be a lot like Gray had no training or pre season till late so will need a while to be ready.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Great game,entertaining,good Football and plenty of commitment from the Players.
What a debut for Reid, he totally deserved his Man of the Match award. Crossed for the first goal and a great Second Goal.
I thought the whole Team played well ,showed Passion and Commitment which is all we as Fans want to see.
Yes there are still a few concerns but Im not going to focus on them tonight - just want to say well done lads, to come back from a Goal down with fight and flair .
Shame about the poor attendance :(

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:22 pm

Poor attendance was perhaps not surprising considering the first two home performances and results. Hopefully this result and much improved performance will put a few more on the gate for the next match and we can start to build. Well done one and all today!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Not one player had a bad game today. Plymouth are a good team, if we finnish above plymouth then we'll be top 6 so 3 points today was very pleasing.

I've slated richards at times (and he has deserved every word) but today he played a blinder, tenacious and good use of the ball.

Brain had a few shaky moments but i prefer him to Gilmartin

Ruben Reid played well, only looked half fit, gonna be a good asset in a few weeks time when his sharpness is back.

good 3 points but just as important, an entertaining game

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Norwich scout at the game today FACT watching Smith , he won't be here long I'm afraid , for me he was MOTM .

Well done Richards great today , lets get the third win on row at Brighton next week and kick on !!!!

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:21 pm

The most pleasing aspect of today was scoring two goals against the man monsters Plymouth employed at the back. They made proverbial brick houses look lightweight and we achieved it playing football - NOT hoofball. A lesson learned....

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:34 pm

thickkearns wrote:Norwich scout at the game today FACT watching Smith , he won't be here long I'm afraid , for me he was MOTM .

Well done Richards great today , lets get the third win on row at Brighton next week and kick on !!!!

Not only that my brother and I walked past a man with a folder wearing a oldham jacket and tie before the game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:43 pm

First of Plymouth were pretty tat, not what i was expecting. Secondly we actually appeared to exploit Plymouths weakness with severe lack of pace in defence.

We played some great attacking football today, but were still shaky at the back. Both goals were taken nicely, even if the goalie should have saved the second one.

Brain- Good game.
Lescott- good game
Smith- Solid, was a rock mostly.
Lancashire- A little dodgy at times but looks good enough
Mcgivern - Looks at the floor alot, had a decent game but needs to lift his head a bit more when he comes out of defence.

Jones- He was superb for the first 43 minutes he was on the pitch, his injury looked pretty bad.
Richards- Absolutley superb, this bloke can pass a ball better than anyone we have got, or have had in the past five years at least.
Taundry- Great game, he coped nicely on the right, and pinged in some nice balls.
Gray- Showed his quality today when he had the ball, except for the one noncey monent he had when he stood on the halfway line after wincing out of a tackle, and letting the game go straight past him.

Nicholls - suprisingly coped okay playing the target man role at times, chased everything, although he still cant trap a landmine he played well and made his fair share of tackles.
Reid - Cannot jump or head very well, and his control is not great. But what a breath of fresh air he is, he runs at players, makes himself a nuisance and does the rough stuff. Had a great debut, fully deserved MOTM really, although he was close with a lot of players for that.

Subs
Marshall - Cracking header for the goal, and took it calmly. He looks a good player at times.
Grigg- Did bugger all really, didnt have much chance.

Good atmosphere today, almost ruined when fans started arguing with eachother. Unity so its called, did its best to do the opposite. Then they opened up a chant of "loyal Supporter", i hope they are not implying i am not loyal because i dont wish to protest with them. Mind you the bloke arguing with them needed a wash, and if he spits on me one more time when he is shouting crap im gonna deck him. Over and out.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:49 pm

"Mind you the bloke arguing with them needed a wash,"

I've just spat my curry all over the floor. Oh that made me loff

:D :D :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Cannock wrote:"Mind you the bloke arguing with them needed a wash,"

I've just spat my curry all over the floor. Oh that made me loff

:D :D :D

He was really pissing me off, all he does is shout cack like "Run with it JONAH" and crap like that as if he is the manager, and knows them all. Im all for enthusiasm but i worry for this mans health, i think he might blow his heart one day.

Plus he stunk, and flobbed on me more than once, and kept kicking me in the head when he got a little excited.

and he does it for 90 WHOLE MINUTES. Needless to say im not sitting there again. :lol:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Plymouth Argyle (H) League 1 Saturday 21/8/10.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Cannock wrote:The most pleasing aspect of today was scoring two goals against the man monsters Plymouth employed at the back. They made proverbial brick houses look lightweight and we achieved it playing football - NOT hoofball. A lesson learned....

Spot on. Get the ball down and PLAY, lads! When you do, we look half decent.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:55 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Cannock wrote:The most pleasing aspect of today was scoring two goals against the man monsters Plymouth employed at the back. They made proverbial brick houses look lightweight and we achieved it playing football - NOT hoofball. A lesson learned....

Spot on. Get the ball down and PLAY, lads! When you do, we look half decent.

And even when we played the long ball, they were down the line in behind the defence, instead of the useless hopeful crap.

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season