Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (H) Carling Cup Ist Round Tuesday 10/8/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Tranmere Rovers (H) Carling Cup Ist Round Tuesday 10/8/10.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Jorge14 wrote:We clearly lack quality throughout the spine of the team. I've never rated Taundry as a central midfielder (I've always thought him a more-than-decent full-back), Richards has spent his career as a full-back but I think he could do a job as the Osborn/Bennett/Dobson kind of midfielder which every team needs at this level if they are to do anything decent and to link defence and attack. The thing we lack is that Osborn, Bennett and Dobson had Samways, Bukran and Keates as an outlet, always there for the pass and always looking to work the ball on for the wingers or for the strikers. I've not seen the games this season, but I'd wager that Richards loses the ball and passes back so often because Taundry doesn't work himself into the positions he should be for the plain reason that he isn't a natural central midfielder. Perhaps Marshall might be a better fit? Taundry and Richards naturally play quite a similar game; it is no surprise then that we have little creativity.

You don't need pace to play in the position I'm talking about, which is why I'm pleased that Hutch is talking about getting some experience into there.

Absolutely. I'd suggest a creative central midfielder, who doesn't just show for the ball but can actually run forward with it, may be a more pressing purchase than a striker. Not sure what Marshall could do in that regard - we haven't seen enough of him, but we haven't seen him trying to be that player, more of a clone of what we have already.

Ah, Andrew Surman, Gary O'Neil... we miss you. :(

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:47 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:We clearly lack quality throughout the spine of the team. I've never rated Taundry as a central midfielder (I've always thought him a more-than-decent full-back), Richards has spent his career as a full-back but I think he could do a job as the Osborn/Bennett/Dobson kind of midfielder which every team needs at this level if they are to do anything decent and to link defence and attack. The thing we lack is that Osborn, Bennett and Dobson had Samways, Bukran and Keates as an outlet, always there for the pass and always looking to work the ball on for the wingers or for the strikers. I've not seen the games this season, but I'd wager that Richards loses the ball and passes back so often because Taundry doesn't work himself into the positions he should be for the plain reason that he isn't a natural central midfielder. Perhaps Marshall might be a better fit? Taundry and Richards naturally play quite a similar game; it is no surprise then that we have little creativity.

You don't need pace to play in the position I'm talking about, which is why I'm pleased that Hutch is talking about getting some experience into there.

Absolutely. I'd suggest a creative central midfielder, who doesn't just show for the ball but can actually run forward with it, may be a more pressing purchase than a striker. Not sure what Marshall could do in that regard - we haven't seen enough of him, but we haven't seen him trying to be that player, more of a clone of what we have already.

or even Eric Skora. Remember him?!

Marshall's an interesting one. His interview in the E&S gave the impression that Hutchings has given him license to get forward and score goals. If that's the case, then he should surely be playing alongside Richards instead of Taundry. For all that Taundry may offer on his day, he won't be that player who makes late bursts into the box & gets his name on the scoresheet.
2 games into his Walsall career and I bet Marsall is already wondering how he isn't playing from the start.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Nicholls is is the worst footballer i have seen for a long time, all the technique of a dead dodo. But he's from Walsall therefore im not allowed to dislike him.

On the highlights Brain looks like a complete amateur when he comes off his line.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Very depressing reading.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Creative midfielder? We could only ever dream of signing a player of decent calibre.

Can you imagine if it was US that had signed Hamman? I know one player doesn't make a team, but a quality player like him would create a very rare bit of a buzz amongst our fans, would possibly put more bums on seats, and would certainly give confidence to our existing squad, plus providing invaluable advice and experience to the young players.

Then I remember- we are Walsall

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:59 am

swiftyboy wrote:Creative midfielder? We could only ever dream of signing a player of decent calibre.

Can you imagine if it was US that had signed Hamman? I know one player doesn't make a team, but a quality player like him would create a very rare bit of a buzz amongst our fans, would possibly put more bums on seats, and would certainly give confidence to our existing squad, plus providing invaluable advice and experience to the young players.

Then I remember- we are Walsall

It all gets a bit boring in the end, especially when your comments can be disproved so easily.

We did sign a "name player", a "creative midfielder" who created a "very rare bit of buzz amongst our fans". And I'd venture to suggest that he, and his relationship with the chairman, is one of the biggest reasons why the playing side is in its current situation.

As for Hamman, I've already said on that match thread that I thought he did very little, stood around with hands on hips and was rightly substituted, not because he was tired but because he was having no influence on the game.

We do need to sign a midfielder to play with Richards, but it doesn't have to be a "name", just someone with the confidence and intelligence to offer himself for a pass, pass the ball simply and move.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Shrops Saddler wrote:We do need to sign a midfielder to play with Richards, but it doesn't have to be a "name", just someone with the confidence and intelligence to offer himself for a pass, pass the ball simply and move.

I agree. It would be brilliant if he could move while he has the ball too.

A man can dream.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 am

Booooooo, worst team in the world.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Booooooo, worst team in the world.

*snigger*

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season