Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 7/8/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 7/8/10.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Cannock wrote:We are in desperate need of a box to box midfielder. One who can tackle, win the ball and then pass and move. Simple really.

Not as simple as you seem to think, Cannock. Players like that cost a fair bit of money, generally.

One who can sit back and tackle alongside one who can get forward would be fine, but we seem to have a habit of choosing players who do a bit of both, without being outstanding at either.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:44 pm

I'd agree with that Rob. But we do have a bit of cash available nowadays :wink:
Last edited by Cannock on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Awful and thats all im sayin

Lancashire out Big mac in
Brain out Beavin in
Matt "dr evil" Richards out Marshall in

Lescott didnt impress me one bit, at this stage i prefer Westlake.

I was impressed with Mcgiven though he looks a real assett especially going forward.

We need a striker and we need one bad.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Postives

Mcgiven looked a solid player
Lancashire also looks a good solid centre half (although reading a few of the above comments I may be in the minority)

I won't even bother with the neagtaives, gotta go out in an hour. Terrible team/managerial performance

p.s Richards did kick the ball away when brain went to get it (both at fault for me)

PT
Site Addict

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Pretty poor stuff. Some encouraging signs, but few and far between. We should have been out of the game within the first half an hour. Only some great last ditch defending and goalkeeping kept us in it.

Nicholls, Richards and Taundry probably had three of the most hard working and yet ineffective displays I've seen. Their first goal was typical. Richards did great to track back into the box but at the moment of truth when he either needs to leave it to his keeper or take the ball, the keeper and everything into the middle F2G he only manages to knock the ball from Brains hands. Similarly when he bust his gut to support the attack then missed a basic 7 yard pass to put Gray in. Nicholls' pleas to be played in his "natural position" look a bit daft after today. I doubt the MK centre-halves have ever had a physically less demanding game in their lives.

The statuesque Hutchings (he's either really cool or a rabbit in the headlights) needs to spend the money well otherwise on today's display it's gonna be tough.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:17 pm

Cannock wrote:I'd agree with that Rob. But we do have a bit of cash available nowadays :wink:

I've heard it all before.. :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Listening to Hutchings post match interview on WM gave me hope , he reckons he as money to spend and he's looking bring in 3 new players .

We'll need them if we are to avoid another disappointing season .

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:31 pm

I hope Hutching isn`t here long enough to have the chance to spend the money after that 90th min substitution.

JackoSaddler

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Awful attendance, yet at least there was various point in the game where we started to try and get behind the team.

Great goal by Manny, but other than that there were few positives. I doubt Richards and Taundy will be able to "boss" the midfield this season judging by their woeful performances today. They both simply arnt good enough.

Would someone please explain to me why, when we are 2-1 down that we bring on a center half, instead of a striker!? Ridiculous

Looking forward to Tuesday.........

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 pm

clawtheolder wrote:I hope Hutching isn`t here long enough to have the chance to spend the money after that 90th min substitution.

Hutchings as a lot to do to convince me ,we did see an improvement towards the end of last season but today's performance was very much like the most of last season.

Stalky

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Although it pains me to say it, MK Dons were by far the better team! This was a very disappointing performance, but there are a few positive signs.

IMO - and it is only mine- these are my ratings:-

Brain- 7 Generally was very competent, certainly a big improvement on Gilmartin

Lescott- 7 Played well, a good perfomance
Lancashire- 7 Surprised to see him in ahead of McDonald, but was pleasantly surprised
Smith- 9 Absolutely imperious, didn't put a foot (or a head) wrong
McGivern- 8 Very impressed - looks a good acquisition

Jones- 5 Very disappointing, little or no contribution
Taundry- 5 All the usual endeavour, but no end product
Richards- 5 His main contribution was giving instructions to Hutchins during an injury
Gray- 5 Made no impression, a real disappointment

Byfield- 6 Was on his own for much of the time, with little or no success
Nicholls- 4 Just wasn't in the game

Hutchins 3 Why was Nicholls left on with Grigg sitting on the bench? Why wasn't midfield changed? Why weren't the team told to stop hoofing the ball through the air? Surely those passing moves practised before the start would have had more effect.

What a dissapointing start.

Positives Brain, Lescott and McGivern were all impressive - and there is some money to spend!!

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:47 pm

we need a forward and someone in midfield !!! very poor today .. enough said roll on Tuesday in front of the lowest gate ever !!!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:00 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:I see Netan Sansara has been sent off for Dundee :mrgreen:

Rhys Weston played today too - amazingly, he was one of the remaining 9 Dundee players who were'nt sent off :shock: .

Lone Striker

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Really disappointing first game of the season. MK dictated the pace of the game, had players who were all comfortable in possesion, passed the ball in a far more effective manor than us and picked up three points accordingly.

Our shortcomings were there for all to see, however, we do not help ourselves in certain areas. Why do our goalkeepers persist in hoofing the ball down the centre of the pitch every time they have the ball in their hands, on numerous occasions today both McGivern and Lancashire requested the ball from Brain, however, every time the ball was hoofed downfield, effectively giving possession back to the opposition. We have potentially two of the best wide players in the league in Jones and Gray who can make things happen, however, we are limiting the amount of quality possesion they will receive by these tactics. Both McGivern and Lancashire look comfortable in possesion so surely we should be looking to play more football from the back to give our wide players better possesion - its not rocket science, just improved tactics. It is not down to Brain either, it was the same last season with previous keepers.

As for the performance of Alex Nicholls today, I cannot think of one thing that he contributed in 90 minutes of football. I accept that the service was not great, however, simple things like coming off the centre half to receive the ball, and making runs into threatening areas of the pitch are just not in his game. Maybe just a poor day at the office for him today, however, after the comments he has made in the press about being the man to replace Deeney I expected a bit more today. Not alone in giving a poor performance, however, if I was Will Grigg I may be asking the manager what is needed to get some time on the pitch, if he does not get 30 minutes today under what circumstances will he get his chance?

Still on a positive note, it looks like we may be bringing in a few players, the outcome of the Managers dealings in the next couple of weeks will shape our season.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 7/8/10.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Great post, Lone Striker. Nicholls' contribution to the game was two headers more than mine. Agree about keeping the ball too. We were second best, but will we understand why, and do we have the wherewithal to put it right?

One substitution late on to replace through injury a defender like-for-like would suggest a lack of a plan b. If we've no confidence in Grigg, Marshall etc to come on and make an impact when losing at home on the first day of the season, I'm wondering when we will.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Wasn't there today, decided to do other things and to be honest didn't miss it one bit (apart from the pre-match drinking). Reading the summing up from various posters who's views I trust I can see myself gladly missing many more this season. I refuse to part with 30 quid for me and my sons to watch cluless, pathetic hoofball with a manager who thinks tactical substitutions involve like-for-like defensive substitutions in the 85th minute. I wasn't there but I know EXACTLY what it was like from watching most of the games last season.

SWS1

Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:00 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote: one foul swoop...

"fell swoop"

Never mind the result; us pedants in the correction squad got our man - again!
:lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am

Reaction:-

I'd put most of that down to two men - they were standing on the touchline.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... im-afraid/

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:11 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Reaction:-

I'd go along with that, Neil. What perhaps is disappointing on the part of the players is that when it clearly wasn't working they carried on like robots with "the plan". I'm thinking here specifically about Nicholls and Gray. Their counterparts (Byfield and Jones) came looking for the ball when it became clear that it was never going to find them. They didn't, and seemed content to just watch the game pass them by.

Agree too about Easter. The amount of space he had was incredible. Hamann made it look so easy - but perhaps there's the rub: Champions League winner against a local kid and a Championship reject in midfield.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 am

tinned wrote:Wasn't there today, decided to do other things and to be honest didn't miss it one bit (apart from the pre-match drinking). Reading the summing up from various posters who's views I trust I can see myself gladly missing many more this season. I refuse to part with 30 quid for me and my sons to watch cluless, pathetic hoofball with a manager who thinks tactical substitutions involve like-for-like defensive substitutions in the 85th minute. I wasn't there but I know EXACTLY what it was like from watching most of the games last season.

With how few UTS's there were in the club before the game you weren't on your own in giving it a miss. You didn't miss a great deal yesterday.

The only bright spot was this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKcd5PuUhA[/youtube]

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:13 am

King Crimson wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Reaction:-

I'd go along with that, Neil. What perhaps is disappointing on the part of the players is that when it clearly wasn't working they carried on like robots with "the plan". I'm thinking here specifically about Nicholls and Gray. Their counterparts (Byfield and Jones) came looking for the ball when it became clear that it was never going to find them. They didn't, and seemed content to just watch the game pass them by.

Agree too about Easter. The amount of space he had was incredible. Hamann made it look so easy - but perhaps there's the rub: Champions League winner against a local kid and a Championship reject in midfield.

Yes, you might even be able to excuse them on the grounds of it being the first game, but the problems were EXACTLY what they were last season.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am

0/10

I can't state just how appalling our 'management' are, it's a shame I can't go lower than 0, because in effect, our 'management' apply tactics that are far more likely to hinder us than help us at home

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:23 am

Alot of people have been knocking Taundry but with the death of his new borns last week its understandable his head wasnt rite, keep ya chin up Rich an do it for ya kids on Tues.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:30 am

Looking at the goals on BBC I am not sure whether Richards knocked the ball past Brain. If he did then he was stupid and to blame for the goal, if not then the goal was definitely Brain's fault.

As for their second goal, it looks like Ryan McGivern running from the near post at the corner who left a gap for Woodards to score.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:42 am

Bernie wrote:Looking at the goals on BBC I am not sure whether Richards knocked the ball past Brain. If he did then he was stupid and to blame for the goal, if not then the goal was definitely Brain's fault.

As for their second goal, it looks like Ryan McGivern running from the near post at the corner who left a gap for Woodards to score.

Did you see Richards' marking at the 2nd goal? He was 3 yards behind his man.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:12 am

philthesaddler wrote:Did you see Richards' marking at the 2nd goal? He was 3 yards behind his man.
That is not really clear from the replay. Using the pause button I can see Richards very close to his man who is moving in fast as the ball reaches the six yard box. McGivern has run from the post and makes a lunge at the ball. The ball bounces just in front of the three players,they all miss the ball all and it hits Woodards on the head and goes to exactly where McGivern should have been.

I suspect that McGivern's run put Richards off and that he should have stayed on the line. However until we get the multi-camera slow motion replays at each match a lot of details will be unclear.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Bernie wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Did you see Richards' marking at the 2nd goal? He was 3 yards behind his man.
That is not really clear from the replay. Using the pause button I can see Richards very close to his man who is moving in fast as the ball reaches the six yard box. McGivern has run from the post and makes a lunge at the ball. The ball bounces just in front of the three players,they all miss the ball all and it hits Woodards on the head and goes to exactly where McGivern should have been.

I suspect that McGivern's run put Richards off and that he should have stayed on the line. However until we get the multi-camera slow motion replays at each match a lot of details will be unclear.

Jeez Bernie, at least let him blame Richards for one of them, he has to be fingered for something. :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:57 pm

It wouldnt be the same if Phil didnt have something to say about Richards. He loves him really!

Didnt go yesterday but it doesnt sound good.

Still, first game of the season is never an indicator, there were funny results all round yesterday.

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:

From a different angle:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbN8RL8UUfM[/youtube]

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Guest wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:

From a different angle:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbN8RL8UUfM[/youtube]

Whoever did that second vid seemed to know exactly when the goal was coming.. Not only did he record just at the right time, he didnt even cheer when we scored!

PreviousNext
Return to 2010-11 Season