Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 7/8/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (H) League 1 Saturday 7/8/10.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:15 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:Looking at the goals on BBC I am not sure whether Richards knocked the ball past Brain. If he did then he was stupid and to blame for the goal, if not then the goal was definitely Brain's fault.

As for their second goal, it looks like Ryan McGivern running from the near post at the corner who left a gap for Woodards to score.

Did you see Richards' marking at the 2nd goal? He was 3 yards behind his man.

England's World Cup performance, floods in Pakistan, global warming.......might as well blame Richards for all of those as well.
:roll:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:52 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:England's World Cup performance, floods in Pakistan, global warming ... might as well blame Richards for all of those as well. :roll:

No, no, no ... they are all the fault of Gordon Brown. Don't you ever read the posts from Cully and Sheff? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Reaction:-

I'd put most of that down to two men - they were standing on the touchline.

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... im-afraid/

Absolutely spot on

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:01 pm

King Crimson wrote:Great post, Lone Striker. Nicholls' contribution to the game was two headers more than mine. Agree about keeping the ball too. We were second best, but will we understand why, and do we have the wherewithal to put it right?

One substitution late on to replace through injury a defender like-for-like would suggest a lack of a plan b. If we've no confidence in Grigg, Marshall etc to come on and make an impact when losing at home on the first day of the season, I'm wondering when we will.

what I cannot understand is why some many fans think Nicholls all of a sudden going to turn into a decent front man and start scoring goals .

in all his time here he's never given me that impression .his best performance have come when he plays on the right and those are far and few berween

UTS Legend

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:44 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:
Whoever did that second vid seemed to know exactly when the goal was coming.. Not only did he record just at the right time, he didnt even cheer when we scored!

Hongkongers are so inscrutable.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 am

The biggest concerns for me were
1) The amount of space between our two centre halves
2) The amount of times our two central midfielders played passes to the ballboys
3) The lack of movement off the ball of anyone, anywhere on the pitch
4) Hutch's inability to see any of this and do something about it.
5) The attendance
6) The atmosphere

The positives
1) All of the defenders individual performances were good, I just wasn't sure about them collectively as a unit.
2) Byfield seemed motivated by the captaincy and put a shift in
3) McGivern looks decent
4) Brain was better than I expected after seeing him in the Wolves friendly. Wasn't entirely to blame for the first goal as Richards took it away from him. Think we'll have some fun with him.
5) Mani Smith's header for the goal was top class

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:10 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:The biggest concerns for me were
1) The amount of space between our two centre halves
2) The amount of times our two central midfielders played passes to the ballboys
3) The lack of movement off the ball of anyone, anywhere on the pitch
4) Hutch's inability to see any of this and do something about it.
5) The attendance
6) The atmosphere

The positives
1) All of the defenders individual performances were good, I just wasn't sure about them collectively as a unit.
2) Byfield seemed motivated by the captaincy and put a shift in
3) McGivern looks decent
4) Brain was better than I expected after seeing him in the Wolves friendly. Wasn't entirely to blame for the first goal as Richards took it away from him. Think we'll have some fun with him.
5) Mani Smith's header for the goal was top class

There seems to be a worrying inbalance between the importance of the negatives and positives :(

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 pm

The main problem, I believe, was the lack of movement....principally from the full-backs, the wingers, Taundry and Nicholls. Whenever we had the ball, we had no options, apart from Byfield making some kind of move and being followed by a couple of MK defenders, and Richards generally offering himself for the pass, but of course he has to be discounted because several well-known posters say he's rubbish!

One other point to note - having read a report of the game yesterday, it came as no surprise to read the paper making a huge point about how brilliant Hamman was. I just knew they would. They made the point that he "didn't waste a pass all game". Errmm, that would be because he only made about 10 passes all game, and the match pretty much drifted past him. I'm not saying he won't come good for them, and that he won't be a superb addition to the coaching staff, but he reminded me of latter-day Merson the way he stood motionless for much of Saturday afternoon.

An excellent assessment of the defenders by somebody further back as well - all put in decent individual performances, but they weren't a unit. Not surprising perhaps, it will take time. I think they have the makings of a decent back four. And for those saying McDonald should have played, I'd say Lancashire did nowt wrong after the first 10 minutes or so (when he looked very nervous) and the speed on the turn of the MK Dons forwards would have destroyed McDonald. There will be other games where he should play, I can understand why he was not chosen on Saturday,

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:38 am

Booooooo, worst team in the world.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Booooooo, worst team in the world.

That's Aston Villa surely ?

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season