Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall v Coventry, Friendly, 24/07/10

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Re: Walsall v Coventry, Friendly, 24/07/10

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I went yesterday also - however my view differs from Neil's somewhat.

The major points were:

1. 433 DID work - but only when we actually tried to keep the ball and not hoof it down the line.
2. Matt Richards is awful.
3. Taundry and Marshall played well together.
4. Lancashire is very cumbersome and unsure on the ball.
5. We should offer Stokes a one-year deal on Monday - he was superb. Very good left foot but also quite tall.
6. We NEED another midfielder - someone with experience who can break play up and dominate. Richards, Taundry and Marshall are all too similar and lightweight.

Very encouraging I thought, however we did look powderpuff in front of goal. Another striker may be an option (a lona maybe?) but we need another 2 midfielders, and another centre half before we have a squad that just might surprise people this season..

Can only disagee completely - I think your glass is half empty. Lanacashire is adequate back up for the first choice Smith and MacDonald - anything more expensive would be a complete waste. Stokes was good, but hardly "superb". He's not match fit yet. Richards was the sole reason they didn't score four more. He was the only one of the central three who picked up the late runs from midfield, hence he put in two or three each excellent tackles and blocks in or on the edge of the penalty area. We do, however, need that "old head" in central midfield. Someone who plays like Coventry's new signing, Carsley.

Previous
Return to 2010-11 Season