Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall v Wolves - Friendly 20/07/10

Reports and reaction from the 2010-11 season as Walsall finished 20th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing, abuse or text speak please.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Walsall v Wolves - Friendly 20/07/10

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 am

We got spanked, plain and simple.

I ay worrying really they played all their squad players, and a couple of kids.

I counted 3 shots we had :lol:

He likes cake made our defence look embaressing. Who is that left back we brought on? :?

Cant really say much about the new players other than Lescott cannot play left back.

The lol of the night was wolves making ten subs, and watching the players form an orderly queue to come off :lol:

Spent the evening with some very nice Wolves fans, im still in a bit of shock.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06 am

At least Walsall and Deeney got onto the national news ey :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Walsall v Wolves - Friendly 20/07/10

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 am

No surprise that Wolves were far superior last night, but we didn't do ourselves any favours. When we took an eternity to win the ball, we'd concede possession straight away with a long ball that their back four could deal with comfortably all night.

Westlake was poor. Not many players were anything like where they will need to be performance-wise, even for League One. Grigg did more in 15 minutes than Nicholls did in 60.

No injuries, a run out, and a chance for new acquisitions to play together. Can't take much else from the game.

windowman
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:15 am

agree with kc, grigg did well,far better player than teflon, the ball does not just bounce off him, far more upper body strenth

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:07 am

Stokes needs to be signed, as Lescott is clearly more comfortable on the right.
Grigg and Deeney need to be given a chance as a partnership as they could keep this club afloat through the recession when we eventually and inevitably sell them.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 am

Sadders wrote:Pretty sluggish tonight if im honest. But lets remember, despite it being a reserve Wolves side first half. Ikeme, Elokobi, Edwards, Vokes, Halford, Foley, Stearman, Ebanks Blake were ALL big parts of a team that won promotion to the premier league - so technically thats a good side. Ebanks finished top scorer and Foley got player of the season didnt he?

Brain? Looked very suspect at corners and anything that wasn't simple if im honest. He spilled one regular shot and flapped at a couple of crosses and corners. Maybe im being harsh but could he have done something better with the 1st and 3rd goal? Concerning.

Marshall? Did okay, but the game passed him by, he looks more defensive than attacking like i was expecting so maybe its more of a direct Mattis replacement.

Lescott? Looked pretty awful at left back and got dragged in a lot. But improved at right back in the second half.

Lancashire? Hmm came on and got shrugged off By Ebanks Blake far to easily and allowed him to score. Did alright after that but he looks a bit clumsy.

The trialist? Stokes? Did okay when he came on, sign him up were in need.

Not a great performance but it was only a fast paced training session.

Yes, they were part of the squad last season. Ikeme made 0 (that's zero) appearances and went out on loan, Elokobi has made 35 starts in two years, Vokes 5 Premier League appearances and went out on loan, Halford 11 Premier appearances including subs, Stearman 16 appearances including subs, Ebanks Blake 22, mostly as a sub. This was the back up XI.

You also miss the point that results in friendlies don't matter - but I expect us to be able to compete against a bunch of reserves from a lower table Premiership team at least.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:You also miss the point that results in friendlies don't matter - but I expect us to be able to compete against a bunch of reserves from a lower table Premiership team at least.

When there's nothing to play for, when ten substitutions are made, when the manager's playing to see his new team, not the result, you expect Walsall to compete? I don't expect the competition to be even thought of, whoever we're playing.

Plus, results in friendlies don't matter/

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 am

Exile wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:You also miss the point that results in friendlies don't matter - but I expect us to be able to compete against a bunch of reserves from a lower table Premiership team at least.

When there's nothing to play for, when ten substitutions are made, when the manager's playing to see his new team, not the result, you expect Walsall to compete? I don't expect the competition to be even thought of, whoever we're playing.

Plus, results in friendlies don't matter/

Yes I do - they did. It seems they were taking it seriously enough to score four.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 am

Best you write this up for the front page then, I'm in the 'meaningless friendly' camp.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:16 am

Exile wrote:Best you write this up for the front page then, I'm in the 'meaningless friendly' camp.

Don't let him. Suicide rates will be up and we'll all have to swim in rivers of blood to get to Oyster's chippy.

Finch

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:44 am

Positives from last night:

* We seem very keen to play football and when we did most players looked comfortable on the ball. Trying to outpass a Premier League team would be an error in a competitive match but this wasn't, so it wasn't a tactical error.

* Hutch trying to develop/practise a plan B (one of the major criticisms by people last season)

* Marshall. Looks good on the ball, willing to get stuck in and had a decent attempt at goal. Early days he may be but rarely have we had a midfielder with all of these qualities.

* Grigg - confidence and strength beyond his years.

Off the pitch:

* Positive singing was back!

* (Virtually) no vuvuzelas

I'm not worried about the lack of goals against a strong and experienced dingle backline. We will learn a lot more about our potential to hurt opposition against Cov!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 am

If the lad who came on at left back was Stokes,he looked a cut above to me.
The positives.We lost 4 nil and may do again this season,
The dingles won 4 nil and will not repeat that this season.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:53 pm

latviancheese wrote:Spent the evening with some very nice Wolves fans, im still in a bit of shock.

You and your Dingle friends weren't in the Stadium Suite (at one of the big round tables) just before kick off were you? I saw some Saddlers with Dingles in tow as I was sitting with my two pet Dingles :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm

tinned wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Spent the evening with some very nice Wolves fans, im still in a bit of shock.

You and your Dingle friends weren't in the Stadium Suite (at one of the big round tables) just before kick off were you? I saw some Saddlers with Dingles in tow as I was sitting with my two pet Dingles :lol:

Walsall Wolves?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:21 pm

According to sky sports new Stokes was on trial at Crewe after a loan there last season and they released him from the trial a couple of days ago. Ahh signings released league 2 players. Peter Till anyone? Is it me or are the players we sign gradually decreasing in quality over the seasons?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:23 pm

tinned wrote:

Nah there was only two of us at the game, and we were only in the bar at half time, after arriving several hours late from the pub :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm

worzel999
UTS Regular

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:37 pm

Sadders wrote:According to sky sports new Stokes was on trial at Crewe after a loan there last season and they released him from the trial a couple of days ago.

Not totally true:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 16,00.html

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 pm

On sky sports news the on the TV. In the caption that comes along the bottom it said 'Crewe choose NOT to offer a contract to Chris Stokes'. Maybe some mis-communication on there behalf. :D

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:19 pm

What was the attendance ?

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Duke wrote:What was the attendance ?

Courtesy of sadlad from t'other channel. Think of the numbers what you will!
The official att was given as 4,963
with 2,624 in the away stands.
Just 2,339 Walsall fans bothered
to turn out.
Didn't even look that many from
where I was sat.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 pm

No reason to panic just yet for me, as I thought Wolves were very sharp all over the pitch.

What we lacked however was some structure in midfield. Taundry and Marshall look like the same sort of player. I can see both being useful, but along with Richards, they don't look particularly attacking or defensive, which just means they spend too long doing neither.
Every time we got the ball at the back, we had no simple ball on. McDonald's distribution was awful, and Smith's was typically limited, so we really need to start making it easy for them to pass to feet.
I honestly think the rest of the side will follow suit if we get that bit right.

Jonny Brain certainly didn't look like the calamity some seem to be making him out to be after just one game (when have we seen that before, eh?!).
His handling was generally good, his kicking was excellent I thought, and his communication was decent too. He also looked mobile and willing to use his area, which is something neither Gilmartin nor Ince ever liked to do.
The one thing with goalkeepers is, the big test comes when they make their first mistake in a league game. That will come eventually, so let's just hope he's got the character not to let that bother him.

I thought the left back also looked decent when he came on. He was surprisingly composed given that we were either 3 or 4 down when he came on, and he looked to keep the ball. Without wanting to make him sound like a world-beater after seeing him for 15 minutes, I'd like to think Hutchings will at least give him a bit longer to impress.

All in all, a standard friendly against a Premier League outfit really.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Good point about the defenders, that was half the problem, Wolves closed them down and they had to shovel it out of play a lot of the time. Needs one of the midfield to drop back for a pass.

Brain hardly stood a chance anyway did he.

SWS1

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:10 pm

What was the score?
:?:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 pm

SWS1 wrote:What was the score?
:?:

4-0

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 am

Sadders wrote:On sky sports news the on the TV. In the caption that comes along the bottom it said 'Crewe choose NOT to offer a contract to Chris Stokes'. Maybe some mis-communication on there behalf. :D

They'd have been mad to have chosen to offer a contract to a player who had walked out on them! :D

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Rich Evans wrote:

to turn out.
where I was sat.

Cheers been looking everywhere for that ,except the t'other channel :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Duke wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:

to turn out.
where I was sat.

Cheers been looking everywhere for that ,except the t'other channel :wink:

What other channel? :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:37 pm