Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Milton Keynes Dons (H) Saturday 8/5/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Milton Keynes Dons (H) Saturday 8/5/10.

Sat May 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Manny Smith puts us 2-1 ahead after 86 minutes !!!

(and it looks as though we're saying goodbye to Leeds, who are also 2-1 up after being 0-1 down, albeit with 10 men)

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Nothing to beat squeaking one in right at end against the dongles.
I'm out of WM range, but it appears we've spent the game shagging them.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Something of the order of 67% of the possession according to the BBC... and loads of shots both on and off target. Do we think certain players are now giving it their all in the hope of securing contract terms?????

Oh, and Leeds have been promoted. :roll:

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Is it a sit in? I'm off two hungry kids to feed

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat May 08, 2010 4:12 pm

No Ince? :(

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Ince warmed the bench for the whole of the game - shame, really. Perhaps we couldn't afford his appearance money. :wink:

Having said that, we've finished 10th in the table, only 18 points off the play-offs!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Did anyone else hear me on WM for ten minutes? :)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Just got back :D

Firstly, a great atmosphere, and there was no swearing, or any wrong doing, nice and paeceful.

The bloke who got the "Freedom Of Speech" banner out, and refused to leave. I take my hat off to ya, i would of nutted the prick in the yellow jacket. Stewards are complete morons, all of them.

Good performance today, played some sexy football in the first, without scoring. They only had one shot all game and it went in. Ince didnt really need to be on the pitch, he got a great reception before and after.

Gilmartin - made one good save in the second half, but didnt have anything else to do.
Westlake - Solid
Hughes- Solid, came forward with the ball.
Smith - Solid
Jones- a good first half, seemed to dissapear abit the second, but still played well.
Gray- Close MOTM for me.
Richards - Top class, deserved MOTM by a mile, passed it all afternoon, headed it, and put his fair shaire of tackles in
Taundry - Did his job.
Byfield - Nice runs but should learn to pass it.
Deeney - Worked his tats off.

Nicholls had a 7 minute jog about.

After that performance id keep them all under contract to be honest, wasnt as good second half, but they kept plugging away, while Mk Dons sat back.

Radio WM in the car on the way back, they havent got the foggiest, i hope they all get the sack in the morning. Cretins.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Did anyone else hear me on WM for ten minutes? :)

Yes just heard you mate. Very eloquently put. Big claims made and all in all well spoken. Did you see the photo daz?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Rich Evans wrote:

Yes just heard you mate. Very eloquently put. Big claims made and all in all well spoken. Did you see the photo daz?

Can't see any photo's mate ?

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:

Can't see any photo's mate ?

No worry's uploaded via my phone to facebook profile. If I get chance i'll post it on here. Looking after the kids. Or I could try e-mailing or sending it to your phone.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat May 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Cracking atmosphere, cracking game, cracking result!! Picture of the banner and the 60+ strong unity group staying after the game!

kevin
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 5:10 pm

You came over very well mate,as did the other contributors.......................well done.

Even the bloke doing a Janet Street Porter impression.

boris the saddler

Sat May 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Given this is a match report thread...here's a match report!

Walsall showed their quality today, tearing MK apart time and time again in the first half and slackening off but still controlling the 2nd to earn a very well deserved win. Some of the football on show was amazing, 5 or 6 times we simply sliced through the Dons with flicks or threaded passes only to be thwarted by a combination of bad luck, ropey finishing and a couple of stunning saves. Our disallowed 'goal' earl on looked like a classsic case of goalie jumps and fluffs it...nothing wrong I could see. I think we made the decent Dons side look very average, they were happy to defend deep and try and hit us on the break, which they did totally against the run of play with a well fluky goal from a rebound.

Richards ran the show and looked every inch a quality centre midfield with a great mix of bite, effort and guile...played a little bit like Vinny Sammways in rarely losing possession (though obviously not quite so good). Byfield was a bit unlucky, played well and showed his class. Deeney was danegrous and strong. Taundry was tidy and agressive and Jones a constant threat who skinned his man 2-3 times completely - just like wingers should. The rest looked fine too, solid at the back and I like Gilmartin. His reflex 'Schmeical' block showed just how far this young man has come. He could be a big talent in a few years.

The first 45 was as good a half as I have seen this seasn, quick, dynamic penetrating play which the Dons just couldn'y cope with. We could have easily scored 5 goals today, and that is no exageration.

Good atmosphere and to be fair to Unity they put on a good show. But the pleasure was all on the pitch today with an excellent performance form a team that now seems to look every inch capable of sustaining a promotion challenge if we can keep the core together.

So, maybe jusy maybe, if you give a manager a bit of time - rather than shouting 'Hutch Out' at the first sign of trouble - he can blend something of real value. 6 on the bounce at home now and suddenly this no longer seems like a club in crisis. Like I said 3 months ago, its what happens on the pitch which REALLY counts and delivers the feel good factor.

Well done lads, a great end to the season.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 6:10 pm

must agree about richards, great game he had today

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Good game, everyone played well today, and always nice to get one over on the Dongs. Can't believe Hutchings couldn't even give Clayton Ince five minutes at the end.

Lilsnappa
UTS Veteran

Sat May 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Thought we had some really good spells. OUr forwards looked strong today and i thought Rene had a cracking game, he made a superb save when he was down our end.

Also thought the midfield ahd a strong daytoday. thought it was a good game and a good result.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Click to enlarge:

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 6:59 pm

The 3rd picture shows that the F2G stand was quiet full compared to normal.

thickkearns
UTS Veteran

Sat May 08, 2010 7:03 pm

yes mate you came across very well , before you that idiot Alan was on , he's a sad twerp

Lilsnappa
UTS Veteran

Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 pm

I was attempting to listen to you Darren but bloody Asps decided he wanted a lift just as i was tuning the radio in!

Duke
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 7:20 pm

A very pleasing end to what for me as been a very disappointing season.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Yet again Matt Richards proves he is a good central midfielder. Since he's been there he had been brilliant. I'd love to know what the haters have to say

Thought we played really well today. Had so many chances in the first half and i think Matt Richards hitting the crossbar and the scrambled goal being disallowed summed up the first half.

Second half we let the pedal off the gas a bit but we still dominated and fully deserved the victory.

Great atmostphere

Poor ref

Well deseved. UTS

Walsall_fan1992
UTS Regular

Sat May 08, 2010 7:40 pm

scott_powell wrote:Yet again Matt Richards proves he is a good central midfielder. Since he's been there he had been brilliant. I'd love to know what the haters have to say

Have to say, I was a big critic of his most of this campaign, but over the last part of the season he has won me over. Very impressive today and should have had two goals, unlucky about his free kick. Think playing with the pressure of the fans against the owner instead of the players has made a huge difference in a few players performances.

Also would like to say how much the atmosphere has improved since a last came, not everybody may agree with the protest, but it has certainly brought the passion and spark back to Bescot/Banks's which I must thank Unity and the rest for.

UTS!

PT
Site Addict

Sat May 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Played really well again today. We should have mullered them as we were by far the better team. Nobody had a bad game and several had very good games, not least the impressive Matt Richards who I gave a barrel-load of stick to earlier in the year but has performed brilliantly in the central position.

In many ways it is frustrating that we have hit the straps at the end of the season again. The manager has hit upon the right players in the right positions and has finally got the knack of making the right substitutions at more or less the right time. It's a shame is that this being Walsall FC, the manager will probably lose key players over the summer and more or less need to start from scratch. Grey 95% won't be here, Smith 70% and Deeney 50/50. Take those three out and replace them with the usual fee transfer gambles and we'll look pretty ordinary again.

Still, a really good show today and a good atmosphere. Got a bit lively in the middle and upper FTG - it's the place where experience counts!

Lilsnappa
UTS Veteran

Sat May 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Agree with Scott, i did wonder what on earth teh ref was up to at times today. But we wont, we got 3 points and we survived another season.

Onwards and upwards!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat May 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Congrats to all of the active protesters, with particular appreciation to the gimp of a stewart who took down the Freedom of Speech banner. Well done Jeff! Would look great on TV if the BBC cared about any non prem/leeds teams.

Played well today. I've not renewed next year because I'm not helping to the Grandaday and because Hutchings has inflicted anti-football on us for most of the year. Richards was outstanding today and has been in the past few home games. He can pass the ball, has vision, doesn't waste possession, as he showed in the early games of the season. So why the hell did Hutchings put him on the wing where he was on a par with Till for most of the season? Not convinced by Hutchings to say the least.

Afraid to say that I reckon that was the last appearance of Deeney today. Undisclosed fee anyone?

andy22
UTS Veteran

Sat May 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Thought it was an excellent game today by all and although i'm not a big fan of Westlake thought it was by far his best game.

The ref was a complete muppet.

The only disapointment was that Ince didn't get on for the last couple of mins for a final apearence.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat May 08, 2010 10:25 pm

TBH it could have been 3-3 half way through the first half - we had some very good chances but didn't get them (as others have said, poor finishing, poor luck, poor refereeing) but as well as the rather fortunate goal they had, there were a couple of other times when we looked really vulnerable, and chances went begging for Franchise as well. However, 0-1 at half time was not a fair reflection. Second half was very different - we had clearly tightened up and they got little sight of the ball, whilst we had all the play, and eventually bagged enough goals to get the win we deserved. Jones had a fine first half in particular, but the player who caught my eye was Westlake - calm, well positioned, good in the tackle, quick, and always seemed to have time. He's a real find, and we should aim to keep him for a while - because if he develops on from there, he will certainly deserve to play at a higher level.

Protests were very loud and clear from my position halfway along the family stand - and very clear too that many more were joining in than the hard core in yellow. One guy near to me turned round to the guy next to me and said, as the 'Freedom...' banner was being removed and everything kicked off round the ground, words to the effect of 'they should realise it isn't going to go away' - in other words, the club aren't going to ban this protest into silence. What this has done is focus the general feeling that the club was slowly dying, losing its way and lacking any drive or ambition. Whilst I think the Unity group is only just working out what it is for, rather than merely what it is against, and I think we are a long way from a genuine workable plan B (we all know plan A isn't working), what this has done is revitalise the atmosphere at the games, and given fans a sense of purpose where none was evident from the club. In truth, better communication and greater openness from the club would probably have fixed this (dialogue and consultation chaps, it works wonders...), but they have been foolishly reactionary in their approach, and banned their way to a serious insurrection on the terraces.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Went to the game today and enjoyed it very much .I agree with the protests but really annoyed me when they took the banner down by that fan bald bouncer type steward -goon. .
Gilmartin - ok
Westlake - nt 2 shabby
Hughes- should have done better for there goal
Smith -alrite
Jones- classy moves
Gray- pretty good
Richards - scorer , looked up for it
Taundry - ok.
Byfield - hard working , classy runs
Deeney - below par

nicholls - ok

PreviousNext