Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/4/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
m&m
Glitterati

Re: Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday 24/4/10.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Another enjoyable game to watch and good atmosphere.Shame it's only because of the protests though.
If this level of support had been there from the start of the season I reckon we would be in the play offs now.strange isn't it!
It's great to see a local lad like Taundry really starting to shine.
UTS.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm

yoda wrote:I fall more in love with Taundry every game.

I was going to put as my status update on Facebook (other social networking sites are available) that I love Richard Taundry, but said site seems to be down at the moment. Oh well, I've said it on here.

Cracking result today. Really enjoyed it :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Didn't go today ,delighted to hear good reports on Taundry always rated the lad .
only realized today after it was reported on sky sports that was our fourth successive home victory :D

Fortress Banks's 8)

boris the saddler

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:05 pm

Couldn't go today due to other committments. What is REALLY striking though is just how quiet this forum is when we WIN.

We're on a really solid run of form. Now here's an idea, you give a manager some time and he might actually shape a team? You don't jump to judgment at the drop of a hat. You realise that football is fickle and teams can't win every week.

Alternatively, you could post stuff on here like 'Hutch OUT' and 'Clueless' every time we lose.

I know which kind of supporter I'd rather be...

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:19 pm

In patches, today was better than we've been all season. Richards had his bet game for us and seemed to enjoy his central role.

Unfortunately the classiest player on the pitch was Julian Grey and judging by his comments on the wireless after the game, it doesn't sound like he'll be with us next year. A great shame because after a slow start, especially the games I saw at Oldham and Southampton, he's got better and better.

Our good football was made more remarkable by the state of the pitch. Next year we need to re-visit the winter strategy of keeping it under cover for weeks on end and setting fire to it.

Good to have the Flemish lot in the Upper F2G. Their celebration of the third goal (that central European thing of all congo-ing a few steps one way then the other) was surely a first at Walsall.

Talking of the third goal, it was a thing of real craft, art and beauty.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Totally agree, PT. The craft of the genuine footballer was on show today in the form of Julian Grey. Best player on the pitch bar none.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:26 pm

I dont think its quiet because we won, I think its quiet because it was basically a friendly match (pending Hartlepools player trial). As the seasons kind of petered out I found the threads to be getting shorter regardless of the result.

Either that or everybodys out celebrating.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:31 pm

PT wrote:In patches, today was better than we've been all season. Richards had his bet game for us and seemed to enjoy his central role.

Unfortunately the classiest player on the pitch was Julian Grey and judging by his comments on the wireless after the game, it doesn't sound like he'll be with us next year. A great shame because after a slow start, especially the games I saw at Oldham and Southampton, he's got better and better.

Our good football was made more remarkable by the state of the pitch. Next year we need to re-visit the winter strategy of keeping it under cover for weeks on end and setting fire to it.

Good to have the Flemish lot in the Upper F2G. Their celebration of the third goal (that central European thing of all congo-ing a few steps one way then the other) was surely a first at Walsall.

Talking of the third goal, it was a thing of real craft, art and beauty.

What did Grey say ?

boris the saddler

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:33 pm

The match threads get shorter...but no shortage of people posting on all the other stuff... Hopefully we can all come back after the summer and enjoy arguing about the football instead of all the other guff. BTW what did Julian say?

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Grey basically dodged around the question of whether he would sign if offered a contract. He said he would see what he was offered and what was around and would see what happens. Doesn't sound like he is bothered about being at Walsall next season.

Game was good today - Taundry was good as was Jones, McDonald, Grey infact thought the whole team did well! Richards was fantastic IMO, Weston got criticism but I'm not sure it was that warranted. Grey said on WM that his goal was hand ball - but theirs was probably off-side and we could have had others (including a penalty). Overall, I thought both teams performed well but we had the edge to win - good performance. Only a shame it is too late to make a push for the play-offs!!!!

UP THE SADDLERS!!!!!!!

BONSER OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Really good performance today, can't pick a player who really had a bad game. Richards and Taundry look a really good partnership in central midfield. The only bad thing about Richards playing well is it means that cringeworthy 'Viva Matt Richards' song may become more vociferous :wink: He did deserve a goal, although I can't really comment on his shot that hit the bar as Jockey was waving his Cyprus flag infront of my face at the time :D

First goal seemed to take forever to go in. There equaliser looked at least a couple of miles offside. Second goal was superb individual strength by Deeney, held off at least two players and smashed it in. One of the best goals he's scored. However, it wasn't even the best goal of the game because the third one was excellent, cracking finish by Taundry.

With regards to what was said above, I like to think the thread was quiet during the match because we were all there supporting the team.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:12 pm

boris the saddler wrote:Couldn't go today due to other committments. What is REALLY striking though is just how quiet this forum is when we WIN.

We're on a really solid run of form. Now here's an idea, you give a manager some time and he might actually shape a team? You don't jump to judgment at the drop of a hat. You realise that football is fickle and teams can't win every week.

Alternatively, you could post stuff on here like 'Hutch OUT' and 'Clueless' every time we lose.

probably because a lot of people were at the game, fantastic result today and a great team effort. We kept 11 players on the field and I agreed with the MOTM.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Without being negative - it isn't cos alot of people were at the game - the gate was only 3,457 - poor really!!!!

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:25 pm

dinkydotsaddler wrote:Without being negative - it isn't cos alot of people were at the game - the gate was only 3,457 - poor really!!!!

I meant a lot that post on the board were at the game :mrgreen:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:28 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:I can't really comment on his shot that hit the bar

Hit very hard indeed. Keeper did very well to get a finger to it.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Really enjoyed the performance today. Thought it interesting that the 2 central midfielders played really well and actually tried to get the ball down and play. This doesn't happen quite like this when Mattis is in there. Richard Taundry was very good and took his goal brilliantly. A shout for Matt Richards who did really well. Is that his best position? MacDonald and Smith definitely our best central defensive pair.

Heard Julian Gray on WM. Evasive about his future and doesn't sound desperate to be here next year, lets just say he was keeping his options open!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:32 pm

yoda wrote:I dont think its quiet because we won, I think its quiet because it was basically a friendly match (pending Hartlepools player trial). As the seasons kind of petered out I found the threads to be getting shorter regardless of the result.

Either that or everybodys out celebrating.

Probably. If you check back through the season's match threads for 09/10 you'll see that the five longest threads are all games which we lost. Oh hang on, that's not true? :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:32 pm

PS - well done the lads.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
dinkydotsaddler wrote:Without being negative - it isn't cos alot of people were at the game - the gate was only 3,457 - poor really!!!!

I meant a lot that post on the board were at the game :mrgreen:

Sorry misunderstood - but still not sure they were!

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Enjoyable game today.
Taundry played well and scored a brilliant goal, but Gray was the best player on the park IMO. One piece of play by him out on the touchline during the 2nd half was absolutely sublime.
Counted around 30 yellows in the mid/upper FTG, including myself and Moaning Jnr. I think it's fair to say that the protest was more muted today, probably due to the lack of provocative stewarding.
Spotted 2 yellows in the TextOap, but sadly no sign of a yellow coat.
Good to hear Saddlers fans on WM after the game. Wayne, Joe, and Tony all made excellent contributions. Graham's finale was, errr, disappointing.
Gray is certainly on the look-out for a better offer than he is likely to get at Walsall. He was honest about the handball, and he was honest about his intention to talk to other clubs.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Just like watchin brazil for Taundrys goal wasnt it?

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am

boris the saddler wrote:Couldn't go today due to other committments. What is REALLY striking though is just how quiet this forum is when we WIN.

didnt go, then knock others, :lol: :lol: :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Duke wrote:What did Grey say ?

He was asked two or three times if he saw his future at Walsall, and he didnt say Yes, which doesnt really sound like someone wanting a contract. It sounds like he's been here to get fit and in the window.

Agree with what others have said though, his class shone through yesterday.

It makes such a difference when we've got two wingers on the field.

Thought Deeney was excellent again, his goal was terrific.

Still dont understand people praising Richards - out of the starting XI he was probably the worst, or 2nd worst on the pitch - with only Weston running him close.

Gilmartin looked good, but the clubs attitude of not tieing down players for next season is very worrying - from the team that played yesterday we could stand to lose Taundry, Nicholls, Smith and Grey in the summer, and Deeney will almost certainly be off - thats half a bloody team. How can a football club survive like that?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:42 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:What did Grey say ?

He was asked two or three times if he saw his future at Walsall, and he didnt say Yes, which doesnt really sound like someone wanting a contract. It sounds like he's been here to get fit and in the window.

Agree with what others have said though, his class shone through yesterday.

It makes such a difference when we've got two wingers on the field.

Thought Deeney was excellent again, his goal was terrific.

Still dont understand people praising Richards - out of the starting XI he was probably the worst, or 2nd worst on the pitch - with only Weston running him close.

Gilmartin looked good, but the clubs attitude of not tieing down players for next season is very worrying - from the team that played yesterday we could stand to lose Taundry, Nicholls, Smith and Grey in the summer, and Deeney will almost certainly be off - thats half a bloody team. How can a football club survive like that?

Whats your problem with Richards? ... Many have said, including me, that they would like to see him in centre midfield and now he's there he's showing what he can do. He lacks half a yard but he keeps it nice and simple. Its funny how once Richards is in the centre midfield position we actually play through the midfield a lot more. Strange that isn't it. I suppose its nothing to do with Richards though.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

scott_powell wrote:Whats your problem with Richards? ... Many have said, including me, that they would like to see him in centre midfield and now he's there he's showing what he can do. He lacks half a yard but he keeps it nice and simple. Its funny how once Richards is in the centre midfield position we actually play through the midfield a lot more. Strange that isn't it. I suppose its nothing to do with Richards though.

My problem is that he's crap.

Yesterday he did play one of his better games, but he was still among the worst two players on the Walsall team yesterday - Gilmartin, McDonald, Smith, Vincent, Jones, Grey, Deeney, Nicholls and Taundry all put in better performances than Richards. He missed a sitter in the first half and when Hartlepool starting getting in to the game a bit in the 2nd half it was because he was being over-run and pushed off the ball too easily. Only Weston was just as much of a Donkey as Richards is.

He's played in central midfield earlier in the season, and was poor then - he's a nothing player in my eyes, doesnt work hard enough, and hasnt got much quality when it comes to passing or tackling.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Whats your problem with Richards? ... Many have said, including me, that they would like to see him in centre midfield and now he's there he's showing what he can do. He lacks half a yard but he keeps it nice and simple. Its funny how once Richards is in the centre midfield position we actually play through the midfield a lot more. Strange that isn't it. I suppose its nothing to do with Richards though.

My problem is that he's crud.

Yesterday he did play one of his better games, but he was still among the worst two players on the Walsall team yesterday - Gilmartin, McDonald, Smith, Vincent, Jones, Grey, Deeney, Nicholls and Taundry all put in better performances than Richards. He missed a sitter in the first half and when Hartlepool starting getting in to the game a bit in the 2nd half it was because he was being over-run and pushed off the ball too easily. Only Weston was just as much of a Donkey as Richards is.

He's played in central midfield earlier in the season, and was poor then - he's a nothing player in my eyes, doesnt work hard enough, and hasnt got much quality when it comes to passing or tackling.

I cant help but disagree.

Anyhow good win capped of with mighty fine performances by Gray and Taundry

UTS

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:34 pm

Richards played well yesterday, to say he was the second worst on the pitch is unfortunaly a blinkered comment.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:50 pm

I went to the game yest but this is the first opportunity i had to get on. Yes a adequate performance all in all against a poor pool team.Definate star man today was Clayton Mcdonald.
Another thing though Hutchings just sat down and watched most of the time while o connor barked orders and looked like the manager

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Does anyone now, if we can get 10th it'll be the highest position we've finished in this division since 2004 i think it was? :shock:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:41 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Does anyone now, if we can get 10th it'll be the highest position we've finished in this division since 2004 i think it was? :shock:

Yep, highest position since we were relegated from the Championship, apparently!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season