Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 17/4/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Re: Swindon Town (A) League 1 Saturday 17/4/10.

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Listened in on Saddlers Live commentary (had to use the Swindon commentary early on though, as ours was out of action AGAIN).

Sounds like a very creditable performance, and I'd call that a very good point at this stage of the season with Swindon going all out for promotion. Well done the lads, and as Zipster said earlier, that puts us just into the top half in 12th spot.

Didn't hear anything at the start, so can anyone tell me why Darren Byfield wasn't in the squad, please? :?

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:04 pm

He took a knock on Tuesday and was replaced by Nicholls. Mattis also took a knock, with Richards coming in to replace him. The O/S says that Mattis was missing with an achilles problem; Byfield with a knee injury. Nothing too serious, with both expected to be OK for today. I guess, it's best not to risk them.

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Just got back and It was once again a tail of two halves...

First half was probably the best away performance this season, totally dominated playing on the floor football, really really sweet!

The goal came from Nicholls getting the ball from their defender in the corner area and passing it to Jones to finish.

Second half we collapsed as soon as they scored, long ball all the time and it was just generally poor.

Until the last 10 minutes when all of a sudden, we just sprang alive with Nicholls one on one with the keeper and fluffing his chance! Deeney had an amazing over head kick effort which went just over and grey had a chance.

MOTM? Not really sure but Nicholls just didn't stop running and pressing and chasing!

Special shout to Rene who was incredible in the second half, he pulled off some amazing point blank saves to keep us in the game

All in all was a good result but could of easily of won!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Good stuff from the Saddlers today, especially in the first half, which as Zece says was pleasing pressure-free passing football. Deservedly 1-0 up at the break and, as normal, was due to Nicholls putting their defence under pressure and forcing a mistake. Second half we soaked up quite a bit of pressure (only 2 saves that Gilmartin had to make, mind). Their goal was a mess from a corner, we really didn't defend set pieces well all afternoon. But we always looked dangerous on the break - Nicholls and Deeney both missed chances that they really ought to have scored.

Gilmartin - 99% very good, still managed to flap at one cross
Westlake - still learning, but OK
Smith - struggled a bit against Paynter
McDonald - impeccable
Vincent - flawless
Jones - in and out, good on the ball, anonymous without it
Taundry - tenacious and disciplined
Richards - not great, but stuck to his task well
Gray - class, give him a contract
Deeney & Nicholls - I love watching these guys away from home. They just never give the defence a moment's peace. If they'd brought their shooting boots we would have won. They also need a bit of coaching - Nicholls frequently runs offside and Deeney sometimes holds the ball when he should pass and vice versa.

Protest watch: a bunch of half a dozen teenagers had brought a couple of Cyprus flags with them. They commendably and noisily supported the team all game and then launched into some 'Love Walsall, Hate Bonser' chants towards the end. Noticably, no one else joined in. I've got to be honest and say that if that is the sum total of dissent out of a total of 200 travelling fans then there is precious little sign that the protest group are the voice of the majority.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Interesting to see that Richards and Gray are playing, which must mean Wendy is presumably playing alongside Taundry in the middle, in the absence of Mattis. Be interesting to see, and hear from people there, how we get on with a more creative player in there - Taundry and Mattis as a central partnership has always lacked that creative edge, IMO, which was evident on Tuesday night, despite the scoreline.

I'd agree with that JJ, it's a pity that he has been played out of position for the majority of the season which may explain the bad press/reaction he has had to suffer from the boo boys. He's always involved and if not in pocession makes himself available for the ball, one of our least selfish players and least appreciated out of a bad bunch.

Err no, he started the season in centre midfield and looked even more woeful there than he has on the left. He cant tackle, he refuses to head, he's slow and weak...being able to hit the ocassional free kick doesnt make him a good player. Hence why we havent missed him in the last few games...because he brings nothing to the side.

You obviously weren't at the match today. Richards played well especially first half, good passing and on the floor rather than hoof ball.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 pm

ShyTallKnight wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Interesting to see that Richards and Gray are playing, which must mean Wendy is presumably playing alongside Taundry in the middle, in the absence of Mattis. Be interesting to see, and hear from people there, how we get on with a more creative player in there - Taundry and Mattis as a central partnership has always lacked that creative edge, IMO, which was evident on Tuesday night, despite the scoreline.

I'd agree with that JJ, it's a pity that he has been played out of position for the majority of the season which may explain the bad press/reaction he has had to suffer from the boo boys. He's always involved and if not in pocession makes himself available for the ball, one of our least selfish players and least appreciated out of a bad bunch.

Err no, he started the season in centre midfield and looked even more woeful there than he has on the left. He cant tackle, he refuses to head, he's slow and weak...being able to hit the ocassional free kick doesnt make him a good player. Hence why we havent missed him in the last few games...because he brings nothing to the side.

You obviously weren't at the match today. Richards played well especially first half, good passing and on the floor rather than hoof ball.

You should know you are not allowed to give Richards praise, Whipping Boy 2009/10 season.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am

A really enjoyable match.Very open and both teams had numerous chances to win it..Really can't fault our side for effort.It now seems that the team are the ones pulling together unlike the fans and club!
The 196 Saddlers in attendance did their best though to make themselves heard.How things change though.3 years ago we took 3000 fans down to Swindon in the final game of our L2 campaign.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 am

Yes M&M, but 3 years ago we were going to play for the league 2 title, this season what are we playing for?

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:40 pm

m&m wrote:A really enjoyable match.Very open and both teams had numerous chances to win it..Really can't fault our side for effort.It now seems that the team are the ones pulling together unlike the fans and club!
The 196 Saddlers in attendance did their best though to make themselves heard.How things change though.3 years ago we took 3000 fans down to Swindon in the final game of our L2 campaign.

Yeah you cant really compare a season where we were at the top, playing well week in, week out. Playing for the league 2 title as somebody put..
Compared to this season where its mid-table and we can only finish a few places below or lower than our current position which wont make any difference whatsoever.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
ShyTallKnight wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:

You should know you are not allowed to give Richards praise, Whipping Boy 2009/10 season.

He's the whipping boy because he's crap, and puts in no effort.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:27 pm

Phil, i've watched your obsession with Richards all season.
You are quite sad, in fact you're a twit spelt with an "a".

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Phil, i've watched your obsession with Richards all season.

Well done.

I've been watching Walsall for nigh on 17 years, I think im qualified to have an opinion on a player. He's crap, and thats the end of the discussion.

Oh and you're a duck, spelt with an 'i'.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Well done.

I've been watching Walsall for nigh on 17 years, I think im qualified to have an opinion on a player. He's crap, and thats the end of the discussion.

Phil, not only are Whalley's cronies watching your every move, you've also got Graydon48 taking notes :lol:

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Well done.

I've been watching Walsall for nigh on 17 years, I think im qualified to have an opinion on a player. He's crud, and thats the end of the discussion.

I would have said a twit, spelt with an " a "

Graydon48
Glitterati

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

tinned wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Well done.

I've been watching Walsall for nigh on 17 years, I think im qualified to have an opinion on a player. He's crud, and thats the end of the discussion.

Phil, not only are Whalley's cronies watching your every move, you've also got Graydon48 taking notes :lol:

Oh dear, comments from 2 of the boards Mafia.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:47 am

Highlights including an interview with Chris Hutchings .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... efault.stm

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season