Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Tuesday 13/4/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Zippy
Glitterati

Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Tuesday 13/4/10.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Very happy with the result, we only had 10 men.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Just come back from my lie down and...

..oh well, a really good effort. I feel a lot better now than I did 30 minutes or so ago.

Call me fickle.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

well done lads.

loop
UTS Veteran

Gutted with the result.. sounded to me as though it was a good effort though! :cry:

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

WFC_Rob wrote:And that, ladies and gentleman, is why we're a bang average League One side.

Spot on.

Duke
Site Addict

Fair play to the lads 2 down , 1 sent off we didn't roll over

Splendid effort

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Zippy wrote:Very happy with the result, we only had 10 men.

We still lost. I'm happy with the way the side fought back, but I'm not happy with the result.

You are strange, Zippy.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Rollercoaster game. Great fun to follow on txt for a change! Shame about the end score.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Exile wrote:
Asps wrote:
yoda wrote:
Asps wrote:We'll never do any good with Hutchout in charge

Hutchout OUT!!!

roy whalley wrote:That was a disgrace. Chris Hutchings and Martin O'Connor are a hard working and professional management duo who are doing a great job for the club.
On gates that have often slumped below 3,500 a level that is more appropriate to a moderate League Two side or Blue Square Premier outfit, they have ensured that we can look forward to another season in League One. This is a remarkable achievement.

Another season of nothingness HutchOut will give us. No cup runs, no good football, no sight of promising youth, no promotion, no playoffs, no hope. It will be another remarkable achievement.

We just gave three kids permanent contracts!

Will Hutch ever play them? Nope

Zippy
Glitterati

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:54 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

We still lost. I'm happy with the way the side fought back, but I'm not happy with the result.

You are strange, Zippy.

Being 2 - 0 down at half time with 10 players , the way we fought back, I am happy with the result.

We could have took a right caning.

ws3
Glitterati

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Really great effort. We showed fantastic spirit and only that we were knackered is why we eventually lost. Standing ovation at the end for a great second half performance against the odds.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Zippy wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

You are strange, Zippy.

Being 2 - 0 down at half time with 10 players , the way we fought back, I am happy with the result.

The scoreline maybe, as a result of the circumstances, but not the result.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Result of the night;

Rochdale 0-1 Darlington

However Darlington were still relegated!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 pm

yoda wrote:Result of the night;

Rochdale 0-1 Darlington

However Darlington were still relegated!

Rochdale are getting the jitters to say the least!

PT
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:11 pm

really expecting a hammering at half-time so a fine effort.

Hughes hasbecome a bit of a liability. When I've seen him he always seems on full beam even for the most straightforward of defensive tasks. Can't knock his effort but Smith and Macdonald are a far more accomplished pair and should now be the pairing for the rest of the season.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:14 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:And that, ladies and gentleman, is why we're a bang average League One side.

Spot on.

Strange. Huddersfield have got one of the richest owners in the Football League, they spent millions assembling their squad and have only been beaten at home by champions-elect Norwich. We run them within a whisker of defeat against 10 men and that makes us average? Don't buy it myself.

The fact we can give Huddersfield such a fright and yet meekly surrender at home to Yeovil, now that's midtable all over, but I don't think that's the point you were making.

chase saddler

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Yet another sending off and once again we fail to defend a lead, perhaps if our games lasted 80 mins we might win a few.

What is the point of staging a great comeback only to through it away, shocking !!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:22 pm

chase saddler wrote:Yet another sending off and once again we fail to defend a lead, perhaps if our games lasted 80 mins we might win a few.

In the last 10 mins of games, we've scored 10 and conceded 12. I don't think it would make much difference. Don't forget our late wins against Colchester, Brentford, Leeds, Wycombe, Tranmere and Huddersfield.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Zippy wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

You are strange, Zippy.

Zippy... are you mad? Yes, a great fight back - but how can you be happy with losing? And, being down to 10 men (AGAIN).?

Personally, my interest has waned so much I knew we were 2-0 down, but have only just found out the result! Amazing come back, but at 3-2 up so close to the end, its a poor result to lose the damn game!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:

Spot on.

Strange. Huddersfield have got one of the richest owners in the Football League, they spent millions assembling their squad and have only been beaten at home by champions-elect Norwich. We run them within a whisker of defeat against 10 men and that makes us average? Don't buy it myself.

The fact we can give Huddersfield such a fright and yet meekly surrender at home to Yeovil, now that's midtable all over, but I don't think that's the point you were making.

But, RS, that's exactly why we sit plum in the middle of the league table. I'm not arguing that that's a bad thing - we're in the strongest League One there's ever been.

Yes, we're capable of scoring goals against some decent sides with stronger resource levels than ourselves, but we're not quite in a position where we can snatch anything from these games. After all, points win prizes.

Ultimately, we won the second half and by all accounts played well for a decent part of the game. Having said that, I think Lee Clark will be just as impressed with the character and application of his players than Hutchings will be with his.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: we're in the strongest League One there's ever been.

Interesting concept...

I'd say beyond the top few it's very ordinary.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
How can you be happy with a result if we lost?
You can be happy with the performance, effort, hunger in the team to fight back and not get spanked.. But no way can you be happy with the result, surely?

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 pm

Exile wrote:

Interesting concept...

I'd go with this. Beyond the 'big 4' (not top 4) Millwall are on fire, then theres some ordinary teams. Colchester were rubbish at the Bezzla yet they were chasing 3rd place most the season. Towards the bottom theres some real dross too....

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:But, RS, that's exactly why we sit plum in the middle of the league table. I'm not arguing that that's a bad thing - we're in the strongest League One there's ever been.

Yes, we're capable of scoring goals against some decent sides with stronger resource levels than ourselves, but we're not quite in a position where we can snatch anything from these games. After all, points win prizes.

I think we've performed well against the top sides. In fact, against the top 7 we've earned 13 points from 13 games, and it should have been more. (Which I guess is the point you're making). But against the 7 sides directly below us in the table, we've only earned 15 points from 13 games and that's not good enough. That's where we've failed this season IMO.

Exile wrote:

Interesting concept...

Hard to compare like with like. I would say it's the richest League One there's ever been. I've only got the attendance figures since 1990, but it that time Man City were the first big boy to plummet to this level and average over 20,000. Since then, Sheff Wed, Nottingham Forest and Leicester also fall into that category, but their stays at this level never ran concurrently. This year we have three - Southampton, Leeds and Norwich. 7 teams will average 10,000+ and that's never happened (for the figures I have available).

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Exile wrote:

Interesting concept...

Agreed. A strong top third-ish but the rest is very, very poor.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:15 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Interesting concept...

Ok, perhaps the argument should be put into a more focused context...

Never before have we had a tougher job on our hands to get into the playoffs.
(which seems to be the aim, or almost expectancy amongst some on this board)

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:But, RS, that's exactly why we sit plum in the middle of the league table. I'm not arguing that that's a bad thing - we're in the strongest League One there's ever been.

I think we've performed well against the top sides. In fact, against the top 7 we've earned 13 points from 13 games, and it should have been more. (Which I guess is the point you're making). But against the 7 sides directly below us in the table, we've only earned 15 points from 13 games and that's not good enough. That's where we've failed this season IMO.

Exile wrote:

Interesting concept...

Hard to compare like with like. I would say it's the richest League One there's ever been. I've only got the attendance figures since 1990, but it that time Man City were the first big boy to plummet to this level and average over 20,000. Since then, Sheff Wed, Nottingham Forest and Leicester also fall into that category, but their stays at this level never ran concurrently. This year we have three - Southampton, Leeds and Norwich. 7 teams will average 10,000+ and that's never happened (for the figures I have available).

I really enjoy reading your posts Reg (no hidden agenda here - I really do). But they make me a bit sad that Plastic Hawk doesn't post anymore. With you, PH and Bernie, UTS used to have a solid triumverate of empirical colossi. A welcome balance to the hyperbole and point scoring. Can you post more often please?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Interesting concept...

Ok, perhaps the argument should be put into a more focused context...

Never before have we had a tougher job on our hands to get into the playoffs.
(which seems to be the aim, or almost expectancy amongst some on this board)

Put like that, I agree. :D

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 pm

I wasnt there but to be winning 3-2 going into the last minute, you really should take a point atleast no matter whether you have 10 or 11 men.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Gutted with the result in the end. Thought sending off was a bit harsh, although Hughes got skinned for pace and once their bloke was in the area and Hughes was wrong side the pen and sending off was always likely. After that they absolutely murdered us for the rest of the first half and could have gone on to get a cricket score. 2nd half what a transformation. Every single one of those 10 men played out of their skin. We were pouring forward and once Deeney got the first we were all over them for a while and deserved the next two goals. At that point there was only going to be one winner. Even the Walsall old bill were jumping when the third went in :D . When the third went in I was on the phone and after seeing the goal go in the phone flew about 15 rows infront of me, luckily after retrieving it it's still working :mrgreen:

We tired towards the end and they suddenly started playing again. Where the ref got 5 extra minutes from is beyond me. Ref gave us nowt all night. Gutted when they equalised and even more gutted when they got the winner. Very amusing that several hundred of their fans stormed out when we went 3-2 up and missed the finale :mrgreen:

Certainly can't grumble about the 2nd half performance. At half time it looked as though it was a matter of how many they were going to score. How wrong we were. We deserved something from the game and 2nd half was one of the most gutsy performances I have seen from us for quite a while. All of the Huddersfield fans I spoke to after the game want to sign Deeney. A good night, exciting game (2nd half anyway), a nice ground, lots of banter and a good laugh. Still gutted. Anyone being critical of us for losing the lead should of been there and they would not of been so critical.

Bonser out Whalley out

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season