Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Tuesday 13/4/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Huddersfield Town (A) League 1 Tuesday 13/4/10.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Huddersfield fans on their site reckon their tream coasted the second half and got a rude wake-up call. They have a young squad too, and said that when our goals went in the crowd immediately started getting on the backs. Looks like Walsall ain't unique. :D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Exile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote: we're in the strongest League One there's ever been.

Interesting concept...

I'd say beyond the top few it's very ordinary.

Agreed. A strong top third-ish but the rest is very, very poor.

Ok, perhaps the argument should be put into a more focused context...

Never before have we had a tougher job on our hands to get into the playoffs.
(which seems to be the aim, or almost expectancy amongst some on this board)

Put like that, I agree. :D

Me too. The top 6 plus Southampton are as strong a group as we have had in this division in all the years supporting The Saddlers [since 1973-4].

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 pm

Exile wrote:Huddersfield fans on their site reckon their tream coasted the second half and got a rude wake-up call. They have a young squad too, and said that when our goals went in the crowd immediately started getting on the backs. Looks like Walsall ain't unique. :D

They certainly did, it was like being at a Walsall home match :mrgreen:

The only ones that didn't get on their backs were the ones that left :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 am

Just got in

First half isnt even worth mentioning. We were terrible and totally deserve to be 2 down

But the second half! We played with a totally different mentality. Troy Deeney was incredible in that half. I would say that it was the best half i've seen him play and if scouts were there i'm certain they would have taken a few notes on him. He was a different class. Ran his socks off and showed some class and quality on the ball. Outstanding!
Another mention to Taundry. He battled through the entire match. Even in the first half I thought he was the only player who deserved any credit.
Overall in the second half the entire team showed the desire and passion we all want to see. You honestly couldnt of asked for much more!

Im very disappointed that we conceded 2 very late goals but I left that game feeling so proud of the players because they worked their backsides off! You probably wouldn't understand it unless you were actually at the game.

Id also like to give a little mention to the ref! He was a complete joke! A very one sided ref! The knob!

The four of us and our cyriot flag left the stadium disappointed but very proud tonight!
Up the saddlers!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 am

Oh and a little mention about Hutchings. I thought when he took Jones off it was a terrible desicion. But he got it tactically spot on in the second half by putting nicholls on the wing! Well done Hutch ... Even at 2-2 the team played with an attacking mentality. Just unfortunate that Huddersfield quality shone through in the end

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 am

What a rollercoaster game!

I feel so proud of the lads despite losing in the end. We were fantastic second half and deserved to take the 3-2 lead. To see us have a bit of fight in us and come from 2-0 with 10 men filled me with so much pride to be a Walsall fan. Unfortunately we just ran out of steam for the last few minutes and paid the price. Well done Huddersfield and fair play to some of their fans who clapped our fans on the coach as they walked past.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:26 am

Absolutely proud of the team tonight, and it's a long time since I've said that. To be honest, I was amazed that we came back with 10 men to take a 3-2 lead, a bit gutted when they equalized, and rather resigned when we lost 4-3.

Nothing at all to be ashamed of, I'd have taken a 4-3 defeat with 11 men, never mind 10.

Well done the lads, proud of you for a great effort tonight, even though we (narrowly) lost.

I've always said that I (and IMHO many others) are not motivated by results, but by the effort and commitment we expect from the players, and on that score I have NO complaints whatsoever tonight.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:31 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Absolutely proud of the team tonight, and it's a long time since I've said that. To be honest, I was amazed that we came back with 10 men to take a 3-2 lead, a bit gutted when they equalized, and rather resigned when we lost 4-3.

Nothing at all to be ashamed of, I'd have taken a 4-3 defeat with 11 men, never mind 10.

Well done the lads, proud of you for a great effort tonight, even though we (narrowly) lost.

I've always said that I (and IMHO many others) are not motivated by results, but by the effort and commitment we expect from the players, and on that score I have NO complaints whatsoever tonight.

Completly agree. Im sure every saddler left that ground with their heads held high and full of pride. I certainly did

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:45 am

By the sounds of it we played with passion in the second half and made a lot of fans happy and proud, which is good.

However, could I ask what happened the first half?
There lies the problem with Walsall FC this year and under CH as a whole.

Why does it take us 45 minutes to start playing?
Why are we useless one match and good the next?

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 am

scott_powell wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:Absolutely proud of the team tonight, and it's a long time since I've said that. To be honest, I was amazed that we came back with 10 men to take a 3-2 lead, a bit gutted when they equalized, and rather resigned when we lost 4-3.

Completly agree. Im sure every saddler left that ground with their heads held high and full of pride. I certainly did

I did as well.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am

scott_powell wrote:Just got in

First half isnt even worth mentioning. We were terrible and totally deserve to be 2 down

But the second half! We played with a totally different mentality. Troy Deeney was incredible in that half. I would say that it was the best half i've seen him play and if scouts were there i'm certain they would have taken a few notes on him. He was a different class. Ran his socks off and showed some class and quality on the ball. Outstanding!
Another mention to Taundry. He battled through the entire match. Even in the first half I thought he was the only player who deserved any credit.
Overall in the second half the entire team showed the desire and passion we all want to see. You honestly couldnt of asked for much more!

Im very disappointed that we conceded 2 very late goals but I left that game feeling so proud of the players because they worked their backsides off! You probably wouldn't understand it unless you were actually at the game.

Id also like to give a little mention to the ref! He was a complete joke! A very one sided ref! The knob!

The four of us and our cyriot flag left the stadium disappointed but very proud tonight!
Up the saddlers!

Couldnt have put it better myself mate. Proud to be a Saddler right now despite the result. Troy Deeney was absolutely immense, finally got a reward for all the lost causes he chases when one bounced in off him.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:26 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:By the sounds of it we played with passion in the second half and made a lot of fans happy and proud, which is good.

However, could I ask what happened the first half?
There lies the problem with Walsall FC this year and under CH as a whole.

Why does it take us 45 minutes to start playing?
Why are we useless one match and good the next?

To be honest we started well and were pretty comfortable until the red card.
Then Hutch's tactics were spot on in the second half when he brought Nicholls onto the wing. None of our players were trying to hold onto the draw either which was great to see. Even with 10 men they all went for the third goal. Every single one of them working their backsides off! It's just a shame we couldn't hold on but every single on of our players ran themselves into the ground. They all fully deserved the applause from the away fans last night. Thats all we want to see. Effort and passion

WS1
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Eighteen hours on and I'm still gutted that we lost last night, was proud to be a SADDLER and always will.

One other point it was nice to watch the match with no one protesting and before any one slates me I for one want to watch my club not listen or watch demonstrations.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Agree with much of what has been said. i was resigned to a 4-0 or worse at half time but when that idiot announcer made his comment about the ' 68 walsall fans' and the game being 'in the bag' I jokingly said to a friend about there being 3 goals at our end in the second half...just a shame about the 2 at the wrong end! I know people might be critical about the first half (thought the sending off was harsh), but the efforts in the second half were so immense that it didn't bother me...I was just so pleased to see such an exciting 45 minutes of football. it was disappointing but I would not be critical at all about them not hanging on at the end...

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Very proud after last nights performance (not result).Sometimes defeat is easier to take when it comes after total effort and comittment.for me that is all I ask of my team.

Looking forward to going to Swindon!

Graydon48
Glitterati

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:26 pm

moanin old git wrote:Those earlier posters (who were not at that great match last night) talking about losing being a dissapointment...utter
nonsense...That was one of the most exhilerating football matches I have experienced for many years, indeed since
the promotion parties and Cardiff. Those of us lucky enough to be there, apparently we numbered 100 odd witnessed
the Saddlers in a comeback that made a mockery of the odds stacked against us. 2-0 down, 10 men, how many would they score? 4,5? No no no no with McDonald imposing himself at the back we began to filtrate into thier half, the passes began
to flow...yes red shirt to red shirt!!!!!!! DEENEY was immense, Nichols helped but must stop pulling out of tackles, and Taundry was a brick (yes a brick NOT a **) Deeney worked so hard that he was visibly shattered at the end. hardly able to walk back to the dressing rooms.
I was VERY proud of our little team trying to spoil the party of our rich counterparts...but not quite..Ladies and gentlemen
you must all be proud of your team, they were a joy last night and deserve as much praise as can be bestowed upon them.
I walked straight through the throngs of happy Hudd fans wearing my colours, and was congratulated and praised for my teams efforts in making such an incredible fight of it. :D :D :D :D

Steady on Moanin, you have a whinging reputation to keep up.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:00 am

And the annoying, frustrating part is that IF the team had displayed this kind of attitude throughout the season, we would probably have been in the upper reaches of the play-off zone by now, or even higher!!!

How many games have we played over the past few months where comments like "No effort" "No commitment" "Couldn't be bothered" have been laid at their door. Sorry if I'm repeating comments made on another thread (Zigor), but they are appropriate, I feel. :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:And the annoying, frustrating part is that IF the team had displayed this kind of attitude throughout the season, we would probably have been in the upper reaches of the play-off zone by now, or even higher!!!

How many games have we played over the past few months where comments like "No effort" "No commitment" "Couldn't be bothered" have been laid at their door. Sorry if I'm repeating comments made on another thread (Zigor), but they are appropriate, I feel. :?

Can I copyright the phrase "too little too late"? :D

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 pm

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm

Hughes is terrible at the best of times.
First 2 goals we were terribly caught out at the back.
What was Gilmartin playing at with there equaliser?
Hughes has to go at the end of the season, please.
As I have said in an earlier post though, cant fault the effort at all. Unlucky.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:42 am

DanWalsallFC wrote:Hughes is terrible at the best of times.
As I have said in an earlier post though, cant fault the effort at all. Unlucky.

I saw Hutchings complain about their equaliser.

What was he on about, i dont really see a Huddersfield player anywhere near him, the bloke is just cack at comin for crosses!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:12 am

latviancheese wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:Hughes is terrible at the best of times.

I saw Hutchings complain about their equaliser.

What was he on about, i dont really see a Huddersfield player anywhere near him, the bloke is just tat at comin for crosses!

Spot on

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season