Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe Wanderers (H) League 1 Monday 5/4/10. 3pm KO

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (H) League 1 Monday 5/4/10. 3pm KO

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 pm

latviancheese wrote:We are winning. :shock: :lol:

My brother is in the Wycombe end, he says he cant see any cypriot flags :wink:

yes either the all round good egg stewards have done a job on them or the protest starts on the last game at home

or its the case of they only sing when there losing

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm

21:25 GOAL - Julian Gray:
Walsall 2 - 0 Wycombe Julian Gray finds the back of the net with a goal from a long way out to the top right corner of the goal. Walsall 2-0 Wycombe.

from auntie beeb was it a good one sounds like a screamer

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Rich Evans wrote:
latviancheese wrote:We are winning. :shock: :lol:

My brother is in the Wycombe end, he says he cant see any cypriot flags :wink:

yes either the all round good egg stewards have done a job on them or the protest starts on the last game at home

or its the case of they only sing when there losing

just been on the phone to my brother who saw two flags and then the stewards having a word. the odd chant to.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Luton winning 5-0 again.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm

3618 in attendance according to the bbc

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Torbaysaddler wrote:Looks like all the stayawys have gone to the match today........... quiet on here and we're winning

Er-r-r-r, NO. Having a nice lunch out with my better half actually. :D

Surprised, but very pleased and relieved though, to see we're winning 2-0. TWO goals in one game, how the hell did that happen? :?

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:38 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Torbaysaddler wrote:Looks like all the stayawys have gone to the match today........... quiet on here and we're winning

Er-r-r-r, NO. Having a nice lunch out with my better half actually. :D

Surprised, but very pleased and relieved though, to see we're winning 2-0. TWO goals in one game, how the hell did that happen? :?

Just Fishing...... looks like I caught one :wink: I can speak only seen the Exeter Match this year..... hoping Plymouth come down and that will double my turnout next season

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 pm

2-1 now so it begins

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

game over

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

With that result neither Wycombe or Stockport can overtake us points wise.............. Nearly Safe :)

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:55 pm

51 points and ten clear from relegation. decent goal diff on those teams in trouble

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

just off the phone to my bro again. apparently the stewards were having a moan and he thought he heard that you need the clubs permission to display the flags. although he did hear a few anti bonser chants

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Odd chant from 15 or so fans, not to much effect really. It was just to the left of the goal, Im just to the right of the goal in the middle tier, and I hardly heard them. Doubt Bonser heard anythin at all to be honest.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 pm

thanks to my brother robevans1987 for sending it to me and thanks to matt for telling me how to put it up :D :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Hello All.

Just got back from the game (and being on WM). Just to clear up what happened. We took our flag in and at the start of the game began to protest in a peaceful manner by just standing with a flag. At that point we were informed that we did not have 'permission to protest'. Pathetic. We obviously continued in a vocal vein. However, after consulting with the stewards, flags are allowed into the ground without and writing on apparently. I don't know how true that is.

Secondly, the atmosphere in the second half was superb. Hate Bonser, Love Walsall chants between every song, including 'stop the rent' 'grand a day, you're having a laugh' 'take whalley with you'. It was also superb singing songs encouraging the team and showing the unity between the players and the fans.

These were the first acorns being cast down, to build mighty oaks in the future. I encourage everyone to buy a flag, and to join in with the songs being sung.

I have put the point accross on WM about 'Unity' and supporting the team, but protesting against the Chairman. This is not a flash in the pan, and as the club are reading, I think you need to take a long hard look at yourselves and consider the Human rights of individuals having free speech. To deny a peaceful protest is disgraceful and inhumane.

Thanks for your all of your continuing support and we need to work together to show our unity.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Great to see the protests today Bonsor out and take Whallet & Hutch to cyprus with you.

Ok we won today, but i have no dout in my mind a half decent team would of taken us to the cleaner today we were awful at the back today, probably goal of the season from Gray today though.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 pm

A few points;

-Cant really comment on the game as I didnt really see a football match. Saw some weird hoof volleyball/keepie uppie game. I'd estimate there was only around 15-20 minutes of what classed as football and you cant really judge players on that

-Good effort on the chants but I was far right of the goal in LF2G and could barely make it out. I doubt if it made it into the oap stand. When "hate bonser, love Walsall" started a lot of people around me got visibly angry that we were just becoming 'man u wannabes'.

- I heard that guff about writing on flags. Is it worth asking the club for the official rules re flags in writing before the last home game so they cant come back on us on the day?

- Credit where its due, I thought the ref was good today.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Writing on flags? Give me strength :shock: :shock: :shock:

I agree with Yoda that this should be clarified with the club pointing outt where this is written in the ground regulations or wherever. There is more freedom in North Korea :roll:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm

yoda wrote:A few points;

-Cant really comment on the game as I didnt really see a football match. Saw some weird hoof volleyball/keepie uppie game. I'd estimate there was only around 15-20 minutes of what classed as football and you cant really judge players on that

-Good effort on the chants but I was far right of the goal in LF2G and could barely make it out. I doubt if it made it into the oap stand. When "hate bonser, love Walsall" started a lot of people around me got visibly angry that we were just becoming 'man u wannabes'.

- I heard that guff about writing on flags. Is it worth asking the club for the official rules re flags in writing before the last home game so they cant come back on us on the day?

- Credit where its due, I thought the ref was good today.

Must have been good. After all, we ended up with 11 men still on the pitch (for a change). :)

Sounds like a rather poor display again, but thank God for the three points today. With the bottom teams all losing (I think), I reckon tonight's 10 point cushion and the substantially superior goal diff. will prove more than enough to make us safe now.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:23 pm

I also noticed Walsall FC seem to know the future as in the programme theyve published the league table as at 30/04/10. Spooky!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Heard you on the radio Darren, WM appeared to take some notice. Probably because the Wolves werent playing.

At least we won i suppose, but that means he's probably in a job till next season now :( :?

didnt the stewards stop a conga line too? :lol:

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Yer, they ruthlessly broke up a Wycombe conga line after they scored.

They were clearly in no mood for any games today.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:55 pm

yoda wrote:Yer, they ruthlessly broke up a Wycombe conga line after they scored.

They were clearly in no mood for any games today.

Theyre always lookin for the attention, they are as bad as some referees.

I hate them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Three very welcome points - well done the lads.

Safety's now the main priority this season, and I think there'll be more fans will to show varying levels of disgruntlement (is that a word? If not, it ought to be!) at remaining fixtures. Interesting to read that flags with writing aren't allowed in the ground. No more St George flags with Walsall FC stitched on, then. Thanks for the photo Rich - thought last year's 'Pension Fund FC' flag was much more impressive!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 pm

the stewards were complete and utter toss pots today

firstly they took a little air horn off a kid in the floors to go lower i mean god forbid we want an atmosphere in the ground
at the same time they made the people with the flag put it away.

then they broke up the conga line from the 10 or so participating wycombe fans.

then during play one of the stewards thought it would be clever and attempt to throw ball in air and header it back in play when he should have just thrown it.

the same steward that took the air horn away so thats a great exaample he was setting
he also looked to the crowd for a reaction when heading the ball but no one gave him his moment of glory.

another reason why the atmosphere is prohibited by the bonser police.
theyll stop us smiling soon if were in a good mood.

back to the match
during large moments of match it seemed like a preseason friendly to be honest.

if wycombe had anything more about them they could have easily snatched a point from us as we sat back after going 2 up.

poor substitions yet again replacing nicholls instead of the labouring byfield for parkin and then taking jones who was playing well off.

yet another repreieve for a very poor management team and now were as good as safe then lets get rid of them and start again.

i would now like to see the kids play in the team against tranmere and see what we have in the locker for next season.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Hutchings won't play the kids-Will Grigg has been an unused sub 17 times this season-has the kid got a ridiculously large appearance fee i his contract as i cannot see why everyone else comes on before him. Actually, i do know-Hutchings is an incompentent buffoon!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Let's take stock here... a conga line is one step away from a volatile and potentially lethal riot, so in my opinion they're rightly diffused at source.

Secondly, vicious flags can be used to asphyxiate, or worse still stuffed in a bottle to make a Molotov cocktail. The inks used in lettering probably makes the flags more flammable, and thus makes them dangerous in the extreme.

Finally, the Banks's is on the flight path to Birmingham, so passing planes might mistake air horns for some kind of distress signal, and come plummeting into the stadium for a crash landing. I'll have to check the handbook, but I think that's a health & safety hazard.

These measures are essential, because the tragic events of Hillsborough should not, nay, can not be repeated... in a quarter-full third division ground. :|

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:12 pm

4143 wrote:Let's take stock here... a conga line is one step away from a volatile and potentially lethal riot, so in my opinion they're rightly diffused at source.

Secondly, vicious flags can be used to asphyxiate, or worse still stuffed in a bottle to make a Molotov cocktail. The inks used in lettering probably makes the flags more flammable, and thus makes them dangerous in the extreme.

Finally, the Banks's is on the flight path to Birmingham, so passing planes might mistake air horns for some kind of distress signal, and come plummeting into the stadium for a crash landing. I'll have to check the handbook, but I think that's a health & safety hazard.

These measures are essential, because the tragic events of Hillsborough should not, nay, can not be repeated... in a quarter-full third division ground. :|

Too right. At last a voice of sense.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:16 pm

deanonev69 wrote:Hutchings won't play the kids-Will Grigg has been an unused sub 17 times this season-has the kid got a ridiculously large appearance fee i his contract as i cannot see why everyone else comes on before him. Actually, i do know-Hutchings is an incompentent buffoon!

Grigg getting an appearance?

Dont be daft! He'd rather shove that lanky fat bald bloke up front for 10 mins.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:19 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
deanonev69 wrote:Hutchings won't play the kids-Will Grigg has been an unused sub 17 times this season-has the kid got a ridiculously large appearance fee i his contract as i cannot see why everyone else comes on before him. Actually, i do know-Hutchings is an incompentent buffoon!

Grigg getting an appearance?

Dont be daft! He'd rather shove that lanky fat bald bloke up front for 10 mins.

Don't forget immobile Phil or else you'll be doing him a disservice :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season