Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Stockport County (A) League 1 Saturday 3/4/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Stockport County (A) League 1 Saturday 3/4/10.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:24 pm

Would agree with pretty much all that Belgain put, except I didn't bother with the pie - what a rip off at £3.60!!! :shock:

Stockport were indeed the better team. We started very nervously, particularly at the back, where Jabo was giving Smith a hard time. Weston was having to help him out a bit which meant their winger saw quite a bit of the ball and it was on the edge of our box quite a bit. The other side wasn't much better where Sansara and Grey looked like strangers. We were really standing off them, scared to put a tackle in and letting them shoot or play the ball into our box, which in itself caused issues as no-one was talking! As much as Gilmartin made good saves today, particularly second half, he really has to communicate with his back four better and re-assure them - they could have sneeked through and scored inside the first minute. Going forward we weren't much better, hardly able to string more than 2 passes together and no real clear cut chances. Sending off was quite possibly harsh but we only had ourselves to blame as we didn't clear and watched it ping around our box.

Second half we started very well, got the goal and looked the better team for 10 minutes. Then we descended into 'let's protect what we have with 10 men' syndrome and sat so deep it just invited them on. We just lumped it up to byfield who hardly held on to it or at times could be bothered to chase (although I can't blame him at times). The only times we looked at all threatening was when Jones ran at them, which only happened 2 or 3 times. I'm hoping he was only subbed for nicholls because of an injury after a challenge, otherwise Hutchings needs shooting. For the rest of the game we sat and sat and sat and if they had a goalscorer or finisher, they'd have won by a couple at least. We mustered one shot all half after the goal. Grey was anonymous all game, bar the goal, and duly subbed. No-one else really had a reasonable game other than Gilmartin, Vincent (who I thought did well considering he was playing between Smity and Sansara) and Weston was okay (distribution wack as usual though). We create nothing, change nothing, deserve nothing.

But at least we didn't lose... :?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Just got back, what a crap game.......again!

Most of the team were rubbish once again! Rene Gilmartin was good, made a few good saves, especially the one handed one when he was on the floor in the first half. Steve Jones (second half) was the only other player you could say looked like he was trying. THe rest of them looked like complete amatures. Stockport were by no means good, but we made them look great! No midfield and once Troy got sent off, no support for Byfield. Suppose we couldnt have many arguments with the sending off, if he stopped it with his hand he had to go.

Chris Hutchings is a clueless muppett! Why bring 3 people on at 83, 87 and 90 minutes when we should have had them on 30 minutes earlier? my other issues with the subs he made:
1) Why take Jones off? I dont think he was injured, he was looking our best outfield player.
2) When he took Jones off with 7 minutes left, he put Nicholls on the right. I dont know about anyone else, but i'd have rather us go for the win than sit back and let them have a go at us. Nicholls should have gone up front and supported Byfield!
3) What was the point in putting Mark Bradley on. Do disrespect to him, but we didnt need a central midfield player on in injury time when we are drawing against the bottom club. If he wanted to play defensivley, then i could understand him bringing a defender on to make sure we didnt lose, or preferably a striker to go for the win, but a CM? why? Should have gone to 4-3-2 towards the end in my opinion.
4) Too little too late, think every walsall fan who was there would think we should have made changes much earlier!

Rant Over! :evil:

Good goal by Gray. Ive got to say though, that must have been the quietest ground i've been to. You could hear everything the players were saying, even what the managers were saying to the players from the away end. Accrington and even the Bescot were noisiery!

Up the Saddlers!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Absolute garbage, how we didn't get beat 5 i don't know. had they had a striker who could finish we would of. Gilmartin proved he is a good shot stopper but he cant do the simple things, he never says a word to the defence and on corners he seems to just run across his goal line like a headless chicken. but he was the best of a very bad bunch today. Sending off was harsh the ball seemed to hit deeney rather than him moving his hands at the ball.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Just got back, most people have summed the game up well - it was horrific. No passion, no commitment and no quality.

Stockport (the bottom side) outclassed us, played with width, passed the ball well and looked dangerous all game. However, this is no exaggeration, if they had a decent striker, the score could have been 8 or 9 - 1. They had chance after chance.

Dog Face has to go, better go back to crufts.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:54 pm

If we had been playing the likes of Southampton today we would have been beaten 8 or 9,

That bad.... YES!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Bangor and Cheesey arent exagerrating...I lost count of the amount of times they got in behind Sansara or Weston in the second half with the ball ending up whistling past the post.

Stockport were an awful side, but we gave them so much space and time on the ball it was a joke.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:16 pm

First away game for quite a while.

Whilst there may be some extenuating circumstances following Deeney''s sending off, our general team play and use of the ball when we did have it was pathetic. You know you have reached rock bottom when:

You can't beat a team that hasn't scored a goal for 6 games.
A team that may fold and be out of the football league in 6 weeks time show more passion and desire than your team.
A team that is virtually already relegated play you off the park
Each time one of your fullbacks gets the ball, they hoof it aimlessly up the pitch or more usually out of play
Midfielders are incapable of passing to each other or creating any worthwhile chances for the strikers
Your outstanding player was your goalkeeper
You spend more time planespotting than watching the game and enjoy that more.
Even getting caught in a light hailstorm is more enjoyable than watching the game.

Good news, I topped up my tan for 20 minutes in the sun before the game started, it was downhill from there.

Shockingly coached team - O'Conner Out.
Shockingly managed team - Hutchings Out.
Shockingly owned team - Bonser Out

Up the Saddlers though!

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Shocking game, really really shocking.

It kind of got everyone realising that we were in for a rough game when they nearly scored after 10 seconds! Rene Palmed it out...

We were just totally clueless, with Deeney getting sent of for handball on the line (He did handball it but he didn't mean to if you know what I mean!)
I didn't realise Taundry was on the pitch until the second half! Vincent getting done time and time again by Jabo.

It was said a few times, that if they were someone like Norwich or Charlton, we'd of been stuffed about 10-1 because they just kept attacking time and time again because we just sat back and played really deep and really narrow!!

Hutchings has just got to go now, as it was the most shocking I've seen us play this season (and I've said that a few times!)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Not heard any quotes from Hutchings but hope he doesn't come out with "we worked hard, defended well and deserved a point."
It was shocking. We seem to hit a new low every week. Even before we went down to 10 we were second best.
To witness a team as poor as Stockport totally dominate us, outfight, outplay, outpass says it time for Hutchings to go.
Tactically he's an idiot but surley he could see midway through the second half we needed fresh legs, and that's not tactics that's common sense.
Bonser has been letting the club slowly die for years, Hutchings is helping him finish us off.
Home games are like a morgue, away games are not much better. As someone said it was so quiet you could clearly hear the players talking even the goal was greeted with no more than a muted cheer.
Only plus point: Gilmartin had a good game. Kept us in it and even caught a few crosses from corners. Had to laugh at his temper tantrum late second half when a misunderstanding with whoever it was led to a corner and him jumping up and down like a spoilt kid.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm sure that someone must have mentioned this already but this season has a horrible whiff of the Merson/Broadhurst relegation. Comfortable at Christmas and then an abject slide down the table from then on. Back then we took just 14 points in the second half of the season - falling four short of the 51 points that would have saved us. Statistically we'd need to lose almost every game this season to go down but the way we're playing at the moment who would bet against that?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:51 pm

bangsection wrote:I'm sure that someone must have mentioned this already but this season has a horrible whiff of the Merson/Broadhurst relegation. Comfortable at Christmas and then an abject slide down the table from then on. Back then we took just 14 points in the second half of the season - falling four short of the 51 points that would have saved us. Statistically we'd need to lose almost every game this season to go down but the way we're playing at the moment who would bet against that?

Scary but true!

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
bangsection wrote:I'm sure that someone must have mentioned this already but this season has a horrible whiff of the Merson/Broadhurst relegation. Comfortable at Christmas and then an abject slide down the table from then on. Back then we took just 14 points in the second half of the season - falling four short of the 51 points that would have saved us. Statistically we'd need to lose almost every game this season to go down but the way we're playing at the moment who would bet against that?

Scary but true!

very true, until we have 52 points on the board I believe we are in a relegation battle on current form

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Just what its beginning to feel like. We are an appalling joke of a team right now. Frankly, I'm embarrassed by them - no guts, no fight, no pride, no organisation. We've enough decent players to cope, but the whole thing is rotten from the top down. The relegation candidates must be loving this - can you imagine the Wycombe team talk for Monday - hardly the hardest job in the world...

PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:34 am

Well, after that dire show, in the words of the Bard of Worsul..... Ees gorra gew :x

MrsWS3

Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 am

My match report sumed up in three words, shocking and disgraceful,
Unless something changes soon we can be looking at relegation.

Sorry thought of another word embarrasing

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 am

3 games of a 5 game run against the bottom 5 teams gone .

What do we have to show for it 2 goals scored 6 conceded 1 point ,

Dismal

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:29 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Just got back, what a crud game.......again!
Steve Jones (second half) was the only other player you could say looked like he was trying.
1) Why take Jones off? I dont think he was injured, he was looking our best outfield player.

What were you smoking ( or not smoking as the stewards followed people into the toilets :mrgreen: )
Stevey Jones couldnt give a monkeys he had 2 chances and ran at them a grand total of 4 times he wouldnt make a tackle he just backed off repeatedly and ran out of position and he was trying to over complicate his runs by trying to turn there players like they did us.

Jones only looked better as Alex's ten minutes were quite poor.

To sum it up I dont normally go away been maybe 6 times away and all home games this season and I havent felt so depressed about a game... no effort no passion other then from weston,Gilmartin and Byfield who were all getting very wound up.

Manny smith was diabloical to he looked like he didnt care yesterday even when Weston gave him one of the most angry style rants ive heard off him before and also I was really angry at Jabo he saw the Deeney incident clearly and knew it wasnt as he laughed the minute it was awarded and was grinning on the run up he knew they were gifted the game.

Man of the match has to be Rene Gilmartin he saved us and dealt with ridiculous amounts of pressure.

To sum up the atmosphere the 2 blokes summed it up when they sang theres only two of us here. Nobody felt up for it at all with that performance and I dont think we are near safe now Deeney our most prolific scorer of late has gone.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Had to laugh at his temper tantrum late second half when a misunderstanding with whoever it was led to a corner and him jumping up and down like a spoilt kid.

That was Sansara and it was quite funny although their keeper was quite funny to with his constant running to get his drink despite making one save and the guy offering him his paper :mrgreen:

Also loved his name Fon Williams for that second half I kept thinking of the fonz :mrgreen:

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:11 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Just got back, what a crud game.......again!
Steve Jones (second half) was the only other player you could say looked like he was trying.

What were you smoking ( or not smoking as the stewards followed people into the toilets :mrgreen: )
Stevey Jones couldnt give a monkeys he had 2 chances and ran at them a grand total of 4 times he wouldnt make a tackle he just backed off repeatedly and ran out of position and he was trying to over complicate his runs by trying to turn there players like they did us

I didnt mean to make it sound like he was great. He seemed to be the only one who would run foward with it, raher than just the hoofs by weston and sansara to no-one.

I agree with you about Smith though, he was all over the place in the first half.

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah I get what you mean to be fair he did get further up the pitch but still feel he was very very poor and hasnt looked the same since his injury hopefully he will regain his form before this season ends even if he did believe we would be in a relegation scrap.

I really like Manny Smith but yesterday he was like a sunday league player I personally think he knows he is off at the end of the season and didn't want to be playing, we certainly missed Clayton Mcdonalds authority in defence

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:16 am

Duke wrote:3 games of a 5 game run against the bottom 5 teams gone .

What do we have to show for it 2 goals scored 6 conceded 1 point ,

Dismal

That puts it into perspective.

DISGRACE. :evil:

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season