Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 27/3/10.

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Exeter City (A) League 1 Saturday 27/3/10.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:01 pm

wm just reported the exeter keeper only had one save to make in the entire match!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:02 pm

sack him

he's useless and has been all season, nearly every decison he makes is baffling. He came to us with a reputation of being a poor manager and has proved that reputation correct. He has a worse record then mullen and we now get less fans. GET RID

Club needs a shake up from top to bottom

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Another dismal defeat - how much longer is JB going to put up with these crud results under CH and M O'C ?

Losing to relegation sides is getting to be a habit and a very serious issue. Our form-rate must be amongst the bottom in the division, and if we carry on like this, we could still get sucked in to a fight for our place in League One. Unlikely maybe, but I find it quite worrying at the moment.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Listened to the second half commentary. Started playing when we went 2 down to what Mick Kearns described as a poor penalty decision (outside the box in his view).

At the end MK described us as "not at it again and lacking in confidence" :( Unacceptable for professional footballers "not to be at it". Lack of quality is one thing, but lack of effort is another.

Will be interested to read the eye witness accounts.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:14 pm

enough is enough Hutch as to go

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Still dow care :?

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:40 pm

hutch on radio now - bet he says 'we'll take the positives'

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Do any of you actually care about today? After a loss I am normally livid and pi$$ed off but today I dont really seem to care. I have passed caring on this season now.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:46 pm

SACK HIM NOW BONSER

And then sell up, piss off to Cyprus and tek your little puppet with you.

Job done then.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:01 pm

tinned wrote:SACK HIM NOW BONSER

And then sell up, pee off to Cyprus and tek your little puppet with you.

Job done then.

If that happened monday, what a day that would be!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Working today, otherwise would have gone - I obviously made the right choice.

An expected defeat, and I simply shrugged my shoulders and moved on to something else.

Cheesebag calling Exeter "essentially a non-league side" was a bit odd, though. Not sure what that makes us. A Leeds-esque comment IMO.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:56 pm

matt-thesaddler wrote:Do any of you actually care about today? After a loss I am normally livid and pi$$ed off but today I dont really seem to care. I have passed caring on this season now.

I was at that point months ago

Hense why Im not getting a season ticket (NOT STAYING AWAY THOUGH IM NOT THAT SAD)

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Our form-rate must be amongst the bottom in the division, and if we carry on like this, we could still get sucked in to a fight for our place in League One.

Before today's game we were bottom of the division's form league table, so we'll still be propping up the rest I'm afraid... :?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 pm

scott_powell wrote:
matt-thesaddler wrote:Do any of you actually care about today? After a loss I am normally livid and pi$$ed off but today I dont really seem to care. I have passed caring on this season now.

I was at that point months ago

Hense why Im not getting a season ticket (NOT STAYING AWAY THOUGH IM NOT THAT SAD)

So your not getting a season ticket but will go to see us play?

Nothin wrong with that, I was gonna but got a season ticket for reasons I still dont know.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:52 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Working today, otherwise would have gone - I obviously made the right choice.

An expected defeat, and I simply shrugged my shoulders and moved on to something else.

Cheesebag calling Exeter "essentially a non-league side" was a bit odd, though. Not sure what that makes us. A Leeds-esque comment IMO.

My comments were essentially about the set up, reminded me of going away to a non league ground in the cup.

We were better second half, but only because the first half was a disgrace. I think anybody with no bugdet to work with will struggle thats why I fear for next season, season ticket sales are going to be down without a doubt and the stayaways aren't going to help matters are they?

Torbaysaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:34 pm

I did go today.... first time since the Torquay game.... Easter 2007.... happy days. Long time Walsall "fan".... first match probably circa 1950
I went with an open mind and meet to some of my fellow tribe.
So what are my thoughts now...... we did not deserve to lose and over 90 minutes were probably the better team..... but they scored more goals than we did.
First one was a gift...... the guy wearing the Green Jersey made me feel insecure and I was standing behind him... so I felt sorry for his team mates.
The second goal was a gift from the referee as he was the only one in the ground who saw it as a penalty....... the linesman had flagged for a free kick outside the area.
The team certainly lacks passion and doesnt seem to have a natural leader..... having said that they did try a bit harder in the second half and I thought the goal by Gray was well taken.
Individually, only having seen these guys today I was expecting something different from certain players from what I have read on this site.
Both full backs in my opinion played well , Sansara going forward especially, and Smith at centreback did well especially his goal line clearance.
Some of you on here have slated Gray ... but he took his goal well and definitely earned his wages today. For me Deeney tried hard but the service to the forwards was not good enough.
Jones wasn't match fit and for me was a disappointment.......... Byfield, as my Enlish teacher used to put on my reports " Should do better"
But who am I ...... just a sad old Walsall supporter enjoying a day out............
Final thought............ travelling Walsall supporters deserve better than what we saw today... if only in fighting spirit... but that has to come from the management and in my humble opinion from what I saw today has a long way to go. Although those I met who are staying the weekend in Torbay will go back home well relaxed if only for spending time in a beautiful part of England

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:25 pm

moanin old git wrote:I'm beginning to think..was it worth it begging the wife to let me go to Stockport on Holiday Saturday, when she wanted
to go to Wales for the day? I'm certain she will enjoy an afternoon at 'The Trafford Centre' far more than I will enjoy
watching us lose to Stockport (probably in the rain AGAIN)....If we DO lose to 'em that will HAVE to be an end to Hutch's
rein..(f it does not happen on Monday that is).

I didnt think you was that stupid moanin!

Give me a day shopping every time rather than watch the biggest load of rubbish ever to come out of Walsall FC in its history.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Sad to say I was not even that bothered at todays result. I was more interested in checking out what was going on with Leeds and the chasing pack, I just dont understand it I use to care so much about out results (this was my first year without a season ticket in over a decade). As far as I am concerned todays result was so predictable, we wont go down, just stutter and stumble our way to the finish line in an admirable 18th place. At least the premiership looks like going to the wire this year

Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Pants!! Simple as. That's definately my last away venture this season. As for home games, purchasing a season ticket last year is the only reason I still attend. Not sure yet if I will invest in an early bird for next season. I fully accept that we will never be in a position to spend good money buying players but I will not acceept week after weekplayers not putting 100% in. Not at the races describes our current form and has been since Hutch took over.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Saw the goals, dreadful defending for the first, unmarked and Gilmartin came out and half heartadly flapped.

The penalty looked a shocker. :? What a joke.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 pm

latviancheese wrote:Saw the goals, dreadful defending for the first, unmarked and Gilmartin came out and half heartadly flapped.

The penalty looked a shocker. :? What a joke.

Indeed - although somebody said on one thread that the linesman was flagging for a free kick outside the box, it was definitely inside the area - it's just that there was no foul!

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:34 pm

Didn`t Vincent give away simuler penalties this season ?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:35 am

Well, I had a good weekend in Devon, despite the result. The weather was good on Saturday and Sunday. I thought Exeter's ground was nice and tidy and a half decent (and friendly) crowd created a good atmosphere.

On the football front I thought it was a very odd game. Walsall could quite easily have won. The two on one with Jones and Deeney in the fist half should have been a goal, if only Jones had provided a better pass. The penalty was a joke. I was sitting parallel to the incident at the Exeter end of the old stand so, got a good look. It seemed minimal contact shoulder to shoulder to me and the striker threw himself to the ground. Might look different on the reply once I get to see it, but my initial reaction was shock. Apart from that I thought the ref had a decent game.

Couple of things I would note. Gilmartin looks timid and lacking in confidence. Through the middle I thought Smith, Taundry and Deeney looked OK. I wish I could get hold of Nicholls and give him one small piece of coaching advice that would improve his game immediately. When the ball is played to him, he needs to move to the ball, to collect it as early as possible to give himself a fraction more time. At the moment he is either stationary or far too often backing away as the ball comes to him, allowing the defender to nip in front and win the ball. Thought the rest of the squad varied around the average level.

My overriding impression though was that the Walsall squad just looked very unhappy, no smiles. There seems to be no zip or spark. They don't have a leader. Seems the season is just petering out without so much as a whimper.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 am

If I was a goalkeeper and my manager kept chopping and changing my back 4 and playing them out of position then i'd feel timid and short of confidence.

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:44 am

1966 wrote:Pants!! Simple as. That's definately my last away venture this season. As for home games, purchasing a season ticket last year is the only reason I still attend. Not sure yet if I will invest in an early bird for next season. I fully accept that we will never be in a position to spend good money buying players but I will not acceept week after weekplayers not putting 100% in. Not at the races describes our current form and has been since Hutch took over.

Aint early bird tickets ending soon?

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Wednesday I think. Wonder when the club will announce numbers sold then.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:42 pm

stonesaddler wrote:Wednesday I think. Wonder when the club will announce numbers sold then.

Can't confirm the figures but heard off a very loyal fan, who picked his season ticket up today, that he's been told that we've so far sold 1,200 :shock: If that's true, and still allowing for a few more hundred to be bought in the summer, then we can expect some very low crowds next season. Do you think the penny will ever drop at the top of the club? :roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:44 pm

tinned wrote:
stonesaddler wrote:Wednesday I think. Wonder when the club will announce numbers sold then.

Can't confirm the figures but heard off a very loyal fan, who picked his season ticket up today, that he's been told that we've so far sold 1,200 :shock: If that's true, and still allowing for a few more hundred to be bought in the summer, then we can expect some very low crowds next season. Do you think the penny will ever drop at the top of the club? :roll:

Heard on Saturday it was "over a thousand" so yer man seems about right.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Roy said, at the last Focus Meeting, that sold 2,000 season tickets, last year.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Roy said, at the last Focus Meeting, that sold 2,000 season tickets, last year.

So 2k last year, (say) average 250 from away teams. So we're getting roughly 750 - 1,000 "walk-up" fans? Possible crowds of 2,500 to 3,000 next season? Ouch!

Watching Bonser & Whalley?

PreviousNext
Return to 2009-10 Season