Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/3/10

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Colchester United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/3/10

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Well done, lads.

Great to see a decent performance today and a bit of good old football karma handed out for the goal!

WfcDanOc
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Great perfromance today, Rene looked solid throughtout with a couple of very smart saves, although his kicks straight back to Col's keeper were a tad frustrating! Clayt McD deserves a mention for a fantastic positional back tracking headed clearance in the 2nd half as Col's striker was setting up to power a close range header home!

Justice was well and truely done with our goal, Mattis clobbered someone on the edge of the box before it fell to Deeney who freed Byfield! I haven't see a replay of the red card, but it looked to me like a 50-50 that Hughes wanted more, went in hard & fairly!

Very welcome 3 points before what should be 3 very battling away matches coming up!

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:24 pm

First home game since Southampton on 5 Dec, although I did also go to the demolition at St Mary's a few weeks ago.

Really good result and what really struck me was the spirited and determined performance the whole team put in today. Even Gray looked up for this one. I feared the worse at half time but, to be honest, we were never under the cosh in the 2nd half although they had a few decent chances. I would have been happy with a draw but delighted with the win - well done lads and keep it up for the rest of the season!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Not only was the win for huges and the team, but also for the fans who had to put up with the stupid decision to kick off the wrong way. Hope the colchester fans had a good view of the goal cause sure as hell I didn't.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Fantastic result.Col U were very disappointing for a team in the play-offs I thought.With a litle more desire and better team selections we could easily be where they are.
One of the worst decisions by a referee in many years at the Banks's.The man should be ashamed of himself.

Taundry was magnificent at right back today but still prefer him in the Keates role.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Good day, the only thing lacking was Yorkshire Puds to go with the roast beef I had before the match. Bonser Out :mrgreen:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:04 pm

sarfend anyone?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:45 am

Just seen the replay and i`m sorry to say it was over the top and a red card.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:48 am

clawtheolder wrote:Just seen the replay and i`m sorry to say it was over the top and a red card.

Yup, I agree.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:38 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:Just seen the replay and i`m sorry to say it was over the top and a red card.

Yup, I agree.

Me too, A terrible challenge.

A great performance by 10 men & a superb winner by Byfield.

The happiest I have left the ground in a long time, despite being bombarded with objects from the upper tier.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 am

Having watched it on tv replay, I also agree that it was wild, rash and ill-judged - certainly a poor example for a captain to set. However, that was from the camera angle. I would like to have seen it from ground level, like the referee.

Just to summarise the Law on fouls:-

1) careless - free-kick (or play advantage)
2) reckless - free-kick + yellow card (or play advantage +yellow card at next stoppage)
3) excessive force or tackling in a manner calculated to cause physical harm to an opponent - free-kick + red card

It is clear that the referee interpreted Hughes's tackle as the last-named case, above. It is clearly a matter of opinion. Unfortunately for Hughes, there is only one opinion that counts i.e. that of the referee.

Just compare it with that gentlest of contact which resulted in Thomas Vermaelen's dismissal in the Arsenal v. West Ham game.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:40 am

Quality result - "Saddlers - the power to surprise" ought to be our motto for this season.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:03 am

having been to every home game this season to me this was the most pleasing one to date.
not because it was full of flowing passing football not because of endless shots at goal but just for pure teamwork determination guts and a never say never attitude.
i would like to thank deeney for saying what he has said because everyone raised their game today and the fact so far i have seen various man of the matches on this thread says it all.

i watched that tackle on tv last night and it looked worse than it did live from a different position but the ref was very poor throughout the game for both sides in my opinion.

must give praise for byfield because that was a really well taken goal. there was still lots to do when he picked the ball up down the channels and i hope that he puts a shift in and helps us get to a realistic top half finish.

still not convinced me to go out and buy an earlybird but professionalism like that can only bode well for the future and now i see no reason why we cant get 4 points from our next 2 away matches.

see you all in torquay banksy and the lads and have safe journey down.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 am

very welcome result well done lads ,

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:04 pm

With regards to early bird sales are there any figures on them yet. The club shop was heaving when I purchased my sons shirt at quarter past two

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:03 pm

my mate purchased a season ticket on friday and he still got his free shirt so must be less than 500 sold at moment.
his book number was 19 i just hope they arent sequential!!!!

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:23 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:my mate purchased a season ticket on friday and he still got his free shirt so must be less than 500 sold at moment.

The free shirt offer was extended to Saturday regardless of whether they reached 500 or not.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Asps wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:

Yup, I agree.

Me too, A terrible challenge.

A great performance by 10 men & a superb winner by Byfield.

The happiest I have left the ground in a long time, despite being bombarded with objects from the upper tier.

:D

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:34 pm

ws3 wrote:
wednesburysaddler wrote:my mate purchased a season ticket on friday and he still got his free shirt so must be less than 500 sold at moment.

The free shirt offer was extended to Saturday regardless of whether they reached 500 or not.

I purchased our early bird tickets on Friday 12th march and was told then over 500 tickets had been sold but the club were extending the shirt offer. They didn't actually state exactly how many had been sold, however.

Banksy
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:49 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:having been to every home game this season to me this was the most pleasing one to date.
not because it was full of flowing passing football not because of endless shots at goal but just for pure teamwork determination guts and a never say never attitude.
i would like to thank deeney for saying what he has said because everyone raised their game today and the fact so far i have seen various man of the matches on this thread says it all.

i watched that tackle on tv last night and it looked worse than it did live from a different position but the ref was very poor throughout the game for both sides in my opinion.

must give praise for byfield because that was a really well taken goal. there was still lots to do when he picked the ball up down the channels and i hope that he puts a shift in and helps us get to a realistic top half finish.

still not convinced me to go out and buy an earlybird but professionalism like that can only bode well for the future and now i see no reason why we cant get 4 points from our next 2 away matches.

see you all in torquay banksy and the lads and have safe journey down.

Thankyou wednesbury same to you, probably see you in a bookies somewhere :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Whoever said on here that their number 4 was a fantastic player was spot on, he was terrific, dont know who he was but he had it all, pace, strength, ability. The lot.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Whoever said on here that their number 4 was a fantastic player was spot on, he was terrific, dont know who he was but he had it all, pace, strength, ability. The lot.

Apart from the fact he got turned into his own arsehole for the goal.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Whoever said on here that their number 4 was a fantastic player was spot on, he was terrific, dont know who he was but he had it all, pace, strength, ability. The lot.

Apart from the fact he got turned into his own arsehole for the goal.

:lol: :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Apart from the fact he got turned into his own pratt for the goal.

Sorry, forgot he's inferior to Matt [postmoderated] Richards.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Apart from the fact he got turned into his own pratt for the goal.

Sorry, forgot he's inferior to Matt [postmoderated] Richards.

Why, Phillip. That tossing burn must REALLY need the physio xxx

[apologies if modding ruins your joke - mod]

Previous
Return to 2009-10 Season