Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v WBA 2/3/2010

Reports and reaction from the 2009-10 season as Walsall finished 10th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Reserves v WBA 2/3/2010

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:55 pm

anyone else here watching it?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Re: Reserves v WBA 2/3/2010

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 pm

philthesaddler wrote:anyone else here watching it?

I'm watching from my bedroom window

Zippy
Glitterati

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 pm

swiftyboy wrote:I'm watching from my bedroom window

Yes, but what about the match.

:)

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Zippy wrote:
Yes, but what about the match.

I'm serious! I could wee into the F2G from here!

Zippy
Glitterati

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:49 pm

swiftyboy wrote:I'm serious! I could wee into the F2G from here!

Being that close, you could have gone.

It was only £2.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Zippy wrote:
Being that close, you could have gone.

It was only £2.

Bonser would only spend it on another helicopter.

WS1
UTS Regular

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Final Score 0-0, Saddlers missed a penalty, Steve Jones blazed it way in to the upper floors to go stand, Whilst Ince saved a penalty, for 0-0 it was entertaining.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm

£2!!! Way too expensive

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Same problem as the first XI, cant shoot, wont shoot.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Saddlers 0 0 Tesco Bagladies
at the Bonks'ssss

Attendance:- not announced, but there was a decent-sized crowd in the Text999OAP stand.

Walsall (4-4-2)
Clayton Ince

Jonathan Borrajo
Rhys Weston
Mark Hughes (Capt.)(Alex Hickman, 74 min.)
Netan Sansara

Sean Geddes
Mark Bradley
Richard Davies
Sam Adkins (Jordan McCourt, 79 min.)

Steve Jones (Dan Partridge, 65 min.)
Jamie Paterson

Unused substitutes:-
Rory Wood
James Wren (gk.)

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

I can only guess that both teams had decided to give up goalscoring for Lent! Rarely have I seen such ineptitude in front of goal. Comparing the respective wage bills of the two teams, though, I would say that the Baggies have the bigger problem. Both teams spurned penalty opportunities, Walsall in the 58th minute when Jones blazed way over the bar and Albion, right at the death, in stoppage time of the second half as Joss Labadie shot tamely straight at Ince. The visitors had started strongly, totally dominating their Walsall counterparts in midfield with their pace and physical presence. Only some desperate last ditch tackles by the Saddlers defence kept the visitors at bay. However, as the game wore on, the Saddlers came more into the game. A draw maybe flattered Walsall a little but not by much.

Ince was generally sound and made some vital blocks but we did have the inevitable "Incy Moment", shortly before half-time, when he made a complete "pigs-ear" of a relatively simple kicked clearance. Incidentally, the two 'keepers, Ince and Dean Kiely, have made 90 full international appearances between them. I wonder if that is a record for this level of football?

In defence, triallist, Borrajo, made a nervous start but settled down o.k.; the experience of Weston and Hughes was needed in the first half-hour and they got some valuable match practice; Sansara was o.k., nothing special but nothing dreadful, either.

In midfield, Geddes showed promise in flashes but on the other flank, Adkins contributed little and was frequently out-muscled by his Albion opposite number, Giles Barnes. In the centre of midfield, Bradley continues to frustrate - just the occasional classy touch but, all too often, he failed to impose himself against admittedly very powerful opponents. Davies, on his return from loan, was the pick of the midfield and he at least looked like a player striving for a first-team place and a new contract.

Up front, Jones got in 65 useful minutes match practice. He looked sharp - just a shame about the crap penalty! Paterson is a very skilful young player and he showed some classy touches. However, he struggles with the physical side of the games. When he learns to deal with this, he will be a very good player.

WS1
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Pedagogue wrote:Saddlers 0 0 Tesco Bagladies
at the Bonks'ssss

Attendance:- not announced, but there was a decent-sized crowd in the Text999OAP stand.Walsall (4-4-2)
Clayton Ince

Jonathan Borrajo
Rhys Weston
Mark Hughes (Capt.)(Alex Hickman, 74 min.)
Netan Sansara

Sean Geddes
Mark Bradley
Richard Davies
Sam Adkins (Jordan McCourt, 79 min.)

Steve Jones (Dan Partridge, 65 min.)
Jamie Paterson

Unused substitutes:-
Rory Wood
James Wren (gk.)

Manager:- Martin O'Connor

I can only guess that both teams had decided to give up goalscoring for Lent! Rarely have I seen such ineptitude in front of goal. Comparing the respective wage bills of the two teams, though, I would say that the Baggies have the bigger problem. Both teams spurned penalty opportunities, Walsall in the 58th minute when Jones blazed way over the bar and Albion, right at the death, in stoppage time of the second half as Joss Labadie shot tamely straight at Ince. The visitors had started strongly, totally dominating their Walsall counterparts in midfield with their pace and physical presence. Only some desperate last ditch tackles by the Saddlers defence kept the visitors at bay. However, as the game wore on, the Saddlers came more into the game. A draw maybe flattered Walsall a little but not by much.

Ince was generally sound and made some vital blocks but we did have the inevitable "Incy Moment", shortly before half-time, when he made a complete "pigs-ear" of a relatively simple kicked clearance. Incidentally, the two 'keepers, Ince and Dean Kiely, have made 90 full international appearances between them. I wonder if that is a record for this level of football?

In defence, triallist, Borrajo, made a nervous start but settled down o.k.; the experience of Weston and Hughes was needed in the first half-hour and they got some valuable match practice; Sansara was o.k., nothing special but nothing dreadful, either.

In midfield, Geddes showed promise in flashes but on the other flank, Adkins contributed little and was frequently out-muscled by his Albion opposite number, Giles Barnes. In the centre of midfield, Bradley continues to frustrate - just the occasional classy touch but, all too often, he failed to impose himself against admittedly very powerful opponents. Davies, on his return from loan, was the pick of the midfield and he at least looked like a player striving for a first-team place and a new contract.

Up front, Jones got in 65 useful minutes match practice. He looked sharp - just a shame about the crud penalty! Paterson is a very skilful young player and he showed some classy touches. However, he struggles with the physical side of the games. When he learns to deal with this, he will be a very good player.

Was on the score board att:- 309 :)

baggieman

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 am

went to the game last night, thought it was a enjoyable game.
Always like going to the Banks's stadium, quite a nice ground you have got for this level and easy enough to get to.

I thought that your number 6 Davies was your best player, liked to get stuck in and looked quite composed on the ball aswell, is he a first team player?

I was also suprised how much Martin O'Connor got into it, always standing telling the players what he wanted of them, reckon he could be next Walsall manager?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am

baggieman wrote:Always like going to the Banks's stadium, quite a nice ground you have got for this level

Thank you. Could you tell some of our moaning fans that? :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 pm

baggieman wrote:went to the game last night, thought it was a enjoyable game.
Always like going to the Banks's stadium, quite a nice ground you have got for this level and easy enough to get to.

I thought that your number 6 Davies was your best player, liked to get stuck in and looked quite composed on the ball aswell, is he a first team player?

I was also suprised how much Martin O'Connor got into it, always standing telling the players what he wanted of them, reckon he could be next Walsall manager?

I reckon it's almost nailed on, and it will probably be before the end of the season. To be honest I wish he'd get his boots out and play for us, cos non of our midfield are fit to lace his boots.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I reckon it's almost nailed on, and it will probably be before the end of the season. To be honest I wish he'd get his boots out and play for us, cos non of our midfield are fit to lace his boots.

I hope not that would be as bad as leavng Mullen in charge after DD's departure

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Duke wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I hope not that would be as bad as leavng Mullen in charge after DD's departure

Probably worse to be honest mate. It stands a good chance of happening though. Cheep n cheerful.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:52 pm

It will be worse because we will probably want him to succeed. Mullen was just a drunk geordie :mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 am

latviancheese wrote:It will be worse because we will probably want him to succeed. Mullen was just a drunk Geordie :mrgreen:

Racist! :mrgreen:

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
latviancheese wrote:It will be worse because we will probably want him to succeed. Mullen was just a drunk Geordie :mrgreen:

Racist! :mrgreen:

It would be racist if you`d have said a sober Geordie :wink: :wink:

Return to 2009-10 Season